Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2020, 12:20   #16
BHPian

Re: Apple's online store is now live in India!

So i was thinking of replacing my old windows CPU, checked the mac pro on the apple website and configured it according to my needs, now i'm really confused between a mac pro and a new BMW 3 series jokes aside i wonder what sorts of performance does this CPU worth 53,43,200 gives.

Unfortunately the apple wheels which cost 55,000 weren't available, otherwise i would have made the purchase on the spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Apple's online store is now live in India!-screenshot_20200925121430.jpg  

yesyeswe is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 12:29   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDED View Post
I have heard from many existing iPhone users that the devices purchased online are a gamble. Sometimes you get a decent product and at times used/spurious ones are shipped. Hence, somebody spending half a lakh rupee for a phone should always strive to obtain iOS devices from the authorised resellers or now from Apple India website. So your costly iOS device has to be from either Apple website or a premium reseller or from RD/Croma, etc. and not from Amazon/FK.
Very wrong by a long margin. The only Apple product I bought from a physical store was in 2013! I have bought 3 more products online. 2016 iPad mini 4 through Amazon for ₹35,000, 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 through eBay India from a Chennai guy (he was too good, it was costing ₹55,000 and was a grey market import from Malaysia!), 2019 iPhone XR 128 GB from Amazon for ₹42,000 (some deal was going at that time), while it is ₹58,000 now in Apple store and ₹53,000 on Amazon. If I sell it I can very well get the same amount I paid or even a couple of thousand more. If you know how to purchase online no issues. It’s when you get greedy and deal with unreal offers that you get duped. Right now I have pre-booked an iPad Air 4 through an online seller, if they can get the product in my colour choice I will buy from them. Labelling all online sellers as suspicious isn’t right. One has to be diligent, that’s it.
The Rationalist is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 12:51   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
So i was thinking of replacing my old windows CPU, checked the mac pro on the apple website and configured it according to my needs, now i'm really confused between a mac pro and a new BMW 3 series jokes aside i wonder what sorts of performance does this CPU worth 53,43,200 gives.

Unfortunately the apple wheels which cost 55,000 weren't available, otherwise i would have made the purchase on the spot.
This is akin to evaluating Lewis Hamilton's F1 car and wondering what performance does this 4 wheeler bring to the table?

There are very very few people on this planet who need 1.5 TB (12x128GB) of DDR4 ECC RAM. Unless you are working with a corporate which involves a lot of heavy duty 4k/8k video rendering, compression and editing and plan to keep this device for another decade this isn't for you.

If you have to ask who needs it, you don't
ValarMorghulis is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 13:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
This is akin to evaluating Lewis Hamilton's F1 car and wondering what performance does this 4 wheeler bring to the table?

There are very very few people on this planet who need 1.5 TB (12x128GB) of DDR4 ECC RAM. Unless you are working with a corporate which involves a lot of heavy duty 4k/8k video rendering, compression and editing and plan to keep this device for another decade this isn't for you.

If you have to ask who needs it, you don't
Even then you are probably better off with a 32/64 core Threadripper or Epyc (If you need ECC). Much lower power consumption and much better performance than this Intel garbage.
reignofchaos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 13:17   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
The IPhone SE 2020 is much cheaper on Flipkart than on the new IPhone website. What any irony.

Attachment 2058332
Iphone website screenshot

Attachment 2058333
Flipkart screenshot.

The Iphone SE 2020 is not available on Amazon.
It is only a matter of time before Apple website will be the only source of its products online. Just a matter of changing distribution policy that will happen once things settle down.

Power of a strong brand.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th September 2020 at 18:37. Reason: typo
krinpit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 16:04   #21
BHPian

As far as I know, the website is for retail consumers only, and not for businesses. Apple has a different B2B website, and a business needs to be enlisted with them if they want to make a purchase.

I think this approach is consistent with other countries as well. Please correct me if I am wrong.
harmanjeet14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 16:44   #22
BHPian

Recently Used the new apple India store to order an Apple Watch SE (Nike edition). I have used Amazon extensively in past for my I phone X/ XR and other apple accessories from appario retail(authorised apple resellers). The quality and prices were never suspect. However apple store allows a full spectrum of Colors and options, also has some attractive cash back offers at present.
sharad_kmc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 18:00   #23
BHPian

Ordered an iPad Pro 12.9 with the Apple Pencil on the day of the opening itself. By mistake, I had committed a typo while entering my phone number as a result of which I got an email asking me to call the Apple Helpline - which I did and they sorted it out for me.

I have been an Apple guy for the last 20+ years and there are times I wondered why I am paying premium - now I feel fully justified in paying that premium.
krishsreedharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 18:06   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishsreedharan View Post
Ordered an iPad Pro 12.9 with the Apple Pencil on the day of the opening itself. By mistake, I had committed a typo while entering my phone number as a result of which I got an email asking me to call the Apple Helpline - which I did and they sorted it out for me.

I have been an Apple guy for the last 20+ years and there are times I wondered why I am paying premium - now I feel fully justified in paying that premium.

Congrats !

Have you got it already?
hondafanboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 18:15   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post
Have you got it already?
I wish .... estimated date of delivery for Apple Pencil is between tomorrow and the 30th of September. The iPad Pro is estimated to be delivered at any time between the 15th and the 21st of October.
Old 25th September 2020, 18:26   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishsreedharan View Post
I wish .... estimated date of delivery for Apple Pencil is between tomorrow and the 30th of September. The iPad Pro is estimated to be delivered at any time between the 15th and the 21st of October.

Oh ok. It must be the screen size why you chose pro over air which will be available in October? I am reading that new iPad Air supposed to be better specced than the current Pro. I am not a heavy user of iPads so not sure. I have iPad Air whose screen and touch panel was replaced last year and after few months, touch panel stopped working. So I am also considering to buy one but just not sure which one. Hope you get yours soon.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th September 2020 at 18:38. Reason: typos
Old 25th September 2020, 18:40   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDED View Post
I have heard from many existing iPhone users that the devices purchased online are a gamble. Sometimes you get a decent product and at times used/spurious ones are shipped. Hence, somebody spending half a lakh rupee for a phone should always strive to obtain iOS devices from the authorised resellers or now from Apple India website. I don't see why somebody spending a fortune on iOS devices would take the risk of buying it online (from non apple website) just for few thousand bucks.
So your costly iOS device has to be from either Apple website or a premium reseller or from RD/Croma, etc. and not from Amazon/FK.
Sorry but I have to disagree to this. This is really wrong. I have bought iPhone 5S, 6 , X and XR online (Majorly Flipkart as they had better exchange than Amazon back then) along with AirPods and there have been no issues with Apple honoring my warranty even outside India. Only things I picked up from a physical store were iPad mini 5 and 11 pro and for both things I couldn’t wait for delivery and couldn’t care of the premium apple charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
If you know how to purchase online no issues. It’s when you get greedy and deal with unreal offers that you get duped. Right now I have pre-booked an iPad Air 4 through an online seller, if they can get the product in my colour choice I will buy from them. Labelling all online sellers as suspicious isn’t right. One has to be diligent, that’s it.

Exactly my point sir, I see many stupid people on reddit apple threads asking if the AirPods are legit or not and almost all of them are usually trying to score some deals. I'd rather get a old-gen iPhone instead of finding such deals if I can't afford the latest iPhone.
turbowhistle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 19:27   #28
BHPian

I tweeted this and shall repeat it here: Der Aaye, Durust Aaye. (Better late than never!) Hope the official stores open soon as well. All said and done, seamless and reasonably priced services is what I expect. Otherwise...just look at the CTO prices. Insanely ridiculous!!!
Old 26th September 2020, 00:31   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
jokes aside i wonder what sorts of performance does this CPU worth 53,43,200 gives.
Actually, I know some folks who were considering buying it because they needed that kind of specs. Specifically, they needed something like 512gb RAM with a good processor. I’m not sure about now but when it was released last year it was quite competitively priced for a machine with that configuration when compared to Dell, HP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post
Oh ok. It must be the screen size why you chose pro over air which will be available in October? I am reading that new iPad Air supposed to be better specced than the current Pro. Hope you get yours soon.
The new iPad Air makes it so confusing to buy an iPad right now! It has a newer generation processor compared to Pro but lesser no. of cores, probably lesser RAM. The big miss, for me, in the Air is lack of 120hz screen. Otherwise it would have been perfect!
Old 26th September 2020, 01:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Ordered the Apple Watch Series 6 GPS on 23rd, the day the site went live.
Everything worked seamlessly. No problems faced while product selection and even at the payment gateway.

However, product still hasn't been dispatched. Estimated delivery is between 1-5 October 2020.

The support chat executive mentioned that the stock has already arrived on our shores. Multiple products are now Made-in-India, but no extra information on how much and what exactly is made here or just assembled.

I checked the trade-in feature for smartphones, but for anyone who wants to do that, I would suggest to swap phones for cash at CEX. CEX offers industry best resale for your electronics. And the money is wired directly to your bank.

Bought the Macbook Pro 16 earlier this year. Pinches me that now I could have opted for better specs. But then, that happens anyway in the world of tech every 6 months or so.

Last edited by parrys : 26th September 2020 at 01:04.
parrys is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks