Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2020, 14:14   #61
BHPian

Re: Apple iPhone 12 launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post

That's what one would normally think, right? But poof, the iPhone 11 Pro and Max just disappeared, once 12 line-up was announced.
You can find some remaining stocks at Reliance digital/ Croma etc.
Old 15th October 2020, 14:20   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.That's what one would normally think, right? But poof, the iPhone 11 Pro and Max just disappeared, once 12 line-up was announced.
They have been discontinued in the US but in India they are still available on Amazon and authorised resellers. And like always it’s the more advanced models that face the axe! The XR, XS and XS max were launched together but the XR still soldiers on whereas the XS and XS max were discontinued in the US the day the 11 series was launched. Same is the case this year as well, 11 soldiers on while the Pro series is discontinued for the US market. Still the pro models can be bought in India.
Old 15th October 2020, 15:16   #63
BHPian

Quote:
That's what one would normally think, right? But poof, the iPhone 11 Pro and Max just disappeared, once 12 line-up was announced.
That has been the norm for few years, the x-flagship models will always disappear and only the cheaper phones stay in the contention so they don’t cannibalize latest flagships. However I like the current lineup and I feel they have done a good job keeping XR for people who want faceId for cheap.

Apple iPhone 12 launched!-current.jpeg

Coming back to the 12, I am torn between iPhone 12 128GB and 12 Pro 128GB. Not sure if the price difference is worth but after using XR for few months, I really don’t want to compromise again. Guess I have one more day to make up my mind.

anyone else going to pre-order tomorrow and in the same position? what are your thoughts?
Old 15th October 2020, 15:34   #64
BHPian

I'm awaiting jerryrigeverythings video on these iPhones to test that "ceramic shield tough glass", another one of apple's gimmicks like the sapphire glass in the camera lens
Old 15th October 2020, 15:53   #65
BHPian

I'm glad to see that even the standard 12 and 12 Mini get the Super Retina XDR display from the Pro series. The XR and 11 were fat and heavy, with thick ungainly bezels (Great, lockdown has me body shaming phones), making them a total turn off in terms of design.

I picked up my 6S back in 2016 and it's still going strong. The X, XS and 11 Pro were at least comparable in overall dimensions (even though they are heavier) but there was just no way I could justify spending 1L+ on a phone to myself. While the 12 Mini is in no way cheap, it looks like the pick of the range for me, especially considering I don't need the Pro photography hardware at all. Luckily don't need a higher storage option because I moved all my photos and videos to iCloud and need 20-30 GB for music.

I can understand people's gripe with the wall charger being dropped. But TBH, it won't really affect the 12 Mini because battery size is similar to my 6S (1700 mAh vs 1715 mAh) and standard charging is relatively quick. I also have a bunch of USB Type-A cables and wall plugs at home so I'll probably use the Type-C to charge it through my MBP when needed. The 20W plug is INR 1900, which isn't terrible pricing but I'll just skip that and get a MagSafe wireless charger down the line. So yes, for me, dropping the charger does mean I don't have to add one to my now vast collection and sure accomplishes what Apple intended to.

I'll try to pick it up abroad to save some cash but yes, it's a Blue 12 Mini 64 GB for me.
saur95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 16:09   #66
BHPian

So Apple in 2020 has released the iPhone 12 with:

No 120Hz display refresh rate
No Telephoto camera
No 128Gb base storage
No USB-C Port
No Charger (Let alone Fast charging)

And it wants 80,000 rupees for the 6.1 inch model! Fantastic!
Old 15th October 2020, 16:45   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
So Apple in 2020 has released the iPhone 12 with:

No 120Hz display refresh rate
No Telephoto camera
No 128Gb base storage
No USB-C Port
No Charger (Let alone Fast charging)

And it wants 80,000 rupees for the 6.1 inch model! Fantastic!
Some would say you are a true blue Samsungaite .

Apple iPhone 12 launched!-img_20201015_164337.jpg

Source
dailydriver is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 16:52   #68
Senior - BHPian

I had posted this on the iPhone thread as well but posting here again as this is related specifically to the iPhone 12

I am an iPhone 7 user which I purchased when it launched in Oct 2017 and I am very happy with it. Even after so many years, it has never slowed down, hung or crashed. I am however looking to change it just because I would like a bigger screen.

I was waiting for the iPhone 12 to launch and now that it has, I have shortlisted the Rs. 85k iPhone 12 (128 GB) and the Rs. 1.20k iPhone 12 Pro (128 GB). The main difference between the two phones is the LiDAR available on the i12 Pro and of course, the massive difference in pricing.

Now I have been trying to figure out whether LiDAR is actually a useful feature on the iPhone and I have been getting mixed reactions on the same through various sources on the internet. Correct me if I am wrong, but other than the 3D capabilities which would be good for certain apps or games, I believe that LiDAR will probably give a slight improvement in low light photography during regular use, or is there more to it? In such a case, is it worth paying the extra Rs. 35k premium?

I have also found the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max missing from the official Apple India website.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 17:29   #69
BHPian

iPhone with all accessories today is more expensive than the 16 inch baseline Macbook Pro with 9th Gen i7 processor, a dedicated Radeon Pro Graphics and 512GB SSD - Ridiculous! They have reduced iPhone to a status symbol for the "Gold-Blingy" section of the society in India from a rather efficient communication device.

The conversion rate from USD to INR seems to be different for different products - lowest for MBP and highest for iPhone 12 Pro Max. This is greed speaking for the Apple India execs. I have half a mind of shooting an email to Tim Cook (who is known to reply to such messages).

This is ridiculous (cannot say this enough)!

Reminds me of Honda and Toyota for some reason.

Last edited by feluda86 : 15th October 2020 at 17:31.
feluda86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 17:54   #70
BHPian

I was hoping to replace my realme 1 with iphone 12 mini and was disappointed at the pricing. For such a not-so-flagship compact phone, I expected it to be priced around 50k. Guess now I have to settle with pixel 4a. It is still a possible stretch only if I buy it from the US.
Old 15th October 2020, 18:27   #71
BHPian

Every other phone manufacturer out there should really call Apple out for this move of removing something as basic as charger. They claim in video that there are 2 Billion apple chargers out there and then go ahead and change the cable to USB-C to Lightning which does not fit 95% of those 2 Billion chargers.

I am more worried that the manufacturers who make fun of apple today will go ahead and do the same next year.
Old 15th October 2020, 19:56   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
I was hoping to replace my realme 1 with iphone 12 mini and was disappointed at the pricing. For such a not-so-flagship compact phone, I expected it to be priced around 50k. Guess now I have to settle with pixel 4a. It is still a possible stretch only if I buy it from the US.
You can get Xr or 11 which are still good entry level phones and will be much better than realme in long term usage. I rate 11 much better than pixel 4a apart from that LCD screen.
Old 15th October 2020, 20:25   #73
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I've upgraded my iPhone pretty much every year, but this year I've got a sense of hesitation.

Upgrade time, yay or nay? Which way are you'll leaning? Please hit the like and subscribe button.
I have religiously upgraded every alternate year till iPhone X. Then bought the XS Max the following year while retaining the X. Skipped the upgrade last year & plan on skipping every upgrade till 5g is available in India. Spending ₹1.4 Lakhs on a tech that is not available here yet, is not my cup of tea.
One solution - spend ₹1.4 Lakhs & buy ITC shares & once 5g is available here, sell the shares & buy whatever iteration is available then.
For now, I will keep my older iPhones as long as they last.
YouTuber MKBHD had hinted a month ago that the charging brick & cable may be skipped this year & he was right.

Last edited by Ithaca : 15th October 2020 at 20:27.
Ithaca is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 20:53   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atharva4545 View Post
You can find some remaining stocks at Reliance digital/ Croma etc.
Oh, okay. Wasn't aware it still would be. As when from my previous understanding, when Apple wanted to stop selling a particular model or variant, they ask their distributors (and in turn retailers) also to stop selling and roll back the stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
They have been discontinued in the US but in India they are still available on Amazon and authorised resellers. ........
US, yes. India also I thought they've stopped everywhere (other retailers too). Not that I'm looking specifically for 11 Pro, but even when I checked on Amazon India, no 11 Pro 256GB or Pro Max 256GB were visible. Anyway, not an issue for me, I just thought 11 Pro were done away with. If available, good for those who prefer that model and don't want to pay the exorbitant new 12 Pro prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
.......... I was waiting for the iPhone 12 to launch and now that it has, I have shortlisted the Rs. 85k iPhone 12 (128 GB) and the Rs. 1.20k iPhone 12 Pro (128 GB). The main difference between the two phones is the LiDAR available on the i12 Pro and of course, the massive difference in pricing.

Now I have been trying to figure out whether LiDAR is actually a useful feature on the iPhone and I have been getting mixed reactions on the same through various sources on the internet. Correct me if I am wrong, but other than the 3D capabilities which would be good for certain apps or games, I believe that LiDAR will probably give a slight improvement in low light photography during regular use, or is there more to it? In such a case, is it worth paying the extra Rs. 35k premium?

I have also found the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max missing from the official Apple India website.
Same here, I find lasting quality in iPhone ownership. Still costly.

11 Pro/ Pro Max discontinued by Apple. May be available in stores as some members have indicated.
And in my limited understanding, for the common users, LiDAR application would be largely used in photography and videography applications. Not something you will miss greatly, if your application is only for casual photos and videos. If you're going to use the phone for any content creation generating revenue (photography, videography for YouTube, other revenue generation platforms), maybe then considering the Pro models will be useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
..... This is greed speaking for the Apple India execs. I have half a mind of shooting an email to Tim Cook (who is known to reply to such messages).

This is ridiculous (cannot say this enough)!
If you do send out such an email and get a response back from Tim (or any CXO exec, for that matter), do consider sharing. It may be valuable to understand their logic/ reasons (there is no denying, some of it will be masterfully crafted words masquerading to depict some vision but a lot of it will be to increase profits). Of course, only if you're okay with it. (I didn't know he responds to such emails).

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
I am more worried that the manufacturers who make fun of apple today will go ahead and do the same next year.
You can bet a section of Android manufacturers for sure will follow the route. Some of them did taunt apple on social media when Apple discontinued featuring headphone jack port for wired headphones. From the next year and the year after, many manufacturers (even some who may have mocked) followed suit.
Old 15th October 2020, 21:14   #75
BHPian

Quote:

I just thought 11 Pro were done away with. If available, good for those who prefer that model and don't want to pay the exorbitant new 12 Pro prices.
I checked out Croma and Reliance Digital website they are giving only 3k discount on 11pro and 11 pro max. Instead I would suggest get the 12pro/pro max as for 13k extra you would get the latest iPhone and 5G (if u plan to keep the phone for long).
Atharva4545 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks