Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2020, 21:44   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Apple iPhone 12 launched!

Is it only me who is having a problem with unlocking the phone with Face Id in these Covid times? There have been many times when I felt the need of the good old fingerprint sensor in my iPhone. Though this situation will pass, I think it would be good to have a fingerprint sensor at the back like a lot of Android phones. But then again, Apple does not follow others and it would reduce the brand value!
Old 15th October 2020, 21:54   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

The argument that you can keep the phone for 5 years, hence I am ready to pay so much is flawed. How many actually keep the phone for that long, I would be ready to bet it would not be a lot. Even if I can, I can not keep any phone for more then 2 years, it gets boring, the new phones have better camera and tech (Battery tech, Display Tech, Faster Processor, Faster charging), as some one said Phones charge to 100% in 40 minutes now, taking 150 mins to get to full charge is just painful.

/Start of rant

I get why people buy iPhone and love them, but for me they are just too boring, the design itself is so old now, and that notch what atrocity is that in 2020, as if the year is not bad enough that i need to look at a notch also every time i look at my phone. Sorry, it's just the fanboys keeping the brand going, rather then then the brand pushing itself forward.

/End of rant
Old 15th October 2020, 22:03   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
The argument that you can keep the phone for 5 years, hence I am ready to pay so much is flawed. How many actually keep the phone for that long, I would be ready to bet it would not be a lot. Even if I can, I can not keep any phone for more then 2 years, it gets boring, the new phones have better camera and tech (Battery tech, Display Tech, Faster Processor, Faster charging)the brand pushin.....
I am using 6S in its 5th year. I understand there have been many advancements but I don't see the need of those so I didn't buy a new iPhone and even not buying one this year.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 22:09   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
I am using 6S in its 5th year. I understand there have been many advancements but I don't see the need of those so I didn't buy a new iPhone and even not buying one this year.
Which is cool, my dad is also using one plus 3T, he also is happy with what he has and tells me the same thing that it solves the purpose. On a personal level I can't use either his phone or the 6s, they are just too long in the tooth. To each his own.
Old 15th October 2020, 22:47   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
iPhone with all accessories today is more expensive than the 16 inch baseline Macbook Pro with 9th Gen i7 processor, a dedicated Radeon Pro Graphics and 512GB SSD - Ridiculous! They have reduced iPhone to a status symbol for the "Gold-Blingy" section of the society in India from a rather efficient communication device.
The iPhone 12 Pro Max starts at 1,29,900, if you add the MagSafe charger which is listed at 4500, it still adds up to 1,34,400 and the MacBook Pro you are talking about goes for 1,99,900. Take a normal headset, it still would not cross 1.45 lacs.

Sure iPhones and Apple products have always been on the higher side, especially in India, but how on earth is it more expensive than a MacBook Pro. That comparison is ridiculous.

Value for a certain amount money, is like beauty, it’s in the eye of the beholder or in this case the bank account of the purchaser

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 15th October 2020 at 22:50.
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 23:21   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Is it only me who is having a problem with unlocking the phone with Face Id in these Covid times? There have been many times when I felt the need of the good old fingerprint sensor in my iPhone.
Not only you, all of us who have Face ID are in the same boat. Its such a pain, either need to type the password or pull down the mask for a second.
Yakuza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 23:21   #82
Senior - BHPian

iPhone 12 was supposed to be available from Oct 16, but looks like it's pushed to Oct 30. Is this true? The Mini is pushed to Nov (India release). Can someone confirm the dates plz
Old 16th October 2020, 00:38   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
iPhone 12 was supposed to be available from Oct 16, but looks like it's pushed to Oct 30. Is this true? The Mini is pushed to Nov (India release). Can someone confirm the dates plz
Yes it has been pushed to 30th for the 12 & 12 pro.

Also India has the highest prices of the entire 12 series compared to the other countries in the world

In France AirPods are included in the iPhone box due to legal obligations!
Attached Thumbnails
Apple iPhone 12 launched!-941611d9a4a241fdaf2255272f9b835b.jpeg  

Apple iPhone 12 launched!-eec867eb6fe5402aa6e5bd0927542e36.jpeg  

Apple iPhone 12 launched!-61c46288e8ef45ce9ef3503d51711514.jpeg  

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 16th October 2020 at 01:05.
Old 16th October 2020, 01:14   #84
BHPian

I think Flipkart is currently selling the SE at 26K, and it can be cheaper with SBI cards, which in my opinion is fantastic value for the package, especially if intended for use as a secondary device.
Old 16th October 2020, 01:38   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
The iPhone 12 Pro Max starts at 1,29,900, if you add the MagSafe charger which is listed at 4500, it still adds up to 1,34,400 and the MacBook Pro you are talking about goes for 1,99,900. Take a normal headset, it still would not cross 1.45 lacs.

Cheers
What I meant was a fully maxed out iPhone 12 Pro Max with a case, magsafe charging unit and a good pair of earphones cost above 1.8 lacs. The said MBP retails at 1.79lacs on Amazon.

Wonder how that combination of iPhone with the extras compare with that particular MBP else where in the world! The pricing is not justified.

This is coming from someone who has been an iPhone user since 2010 (iPhone 4) and a MBP user since 2009.

What doesn't make sense is how the premium ("read: chuna") applied on the pricing of iPhones is directly related to the models and the purchasing power of a nation.
Old 16th October 2020, 01:54   #86
BHPian

I think Flipkart is currently selling the SE at 26K, and it can be cheaper with SBI cards, which in my opinion is fantastic value for the package, especially if intended for use as a secondary device.
Old 16th October 2020, 02:57   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
Coming back to the 12, I am torn between iPhone 12 128GB and 12 Pro 128GB. Not sure if the price difference is worth but after using XR for few months, I really don’t want to compromise again. Guess I have one more day to make up my mind.

anyone else going to pre-order tomorrow and in the same position? what are your thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Yes it has been pushed to 30th for the 12 & 12 pro.
I just noticed these posts. Not sure where these dates have been mentioned but in Apple India's website, it is still 23 October for iPhone 12 Pro pre-order. Have a look.

Edit: For iPhone 12 too, the date is 23 October, on their India website.
Attached Thumbnails
Apple iPhone 12 launched!-screenshot-20201016-02.55.20.png  

Last edited by k_ajay : 16th October 2020 at 03:00. Reason: Pre-order info for iPhone 12
Old 16th October 2020, 09:22   #88
Senior - BHPian

That's why I got confused. Tried to order a phone and it is taking orders from Oct30 onwards
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
I just noticed these posts. Not sure where these dates have been mentioned but in Apple India's website, it is still 23 October for iPhone 12 Pro pre-order. Have a look.
Old 16th October 2020, 11:53   #89
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Better half was looking to upgrade from an SE (compact phone must-have), held off to see pricing on the Mini. Ridiculous! 40% dearer than USD equivalent. For what, exactly?
Same case here!
it seems she will have to hold on to her oneplus6 for another year or until discounts kick in for the Iphone 12
Old 16th October 2020, 13:18   #90
Senior - BHPian

Agree about the difference in pricing compared to the US (especially). This has been happening since a long time, every time the increase is more and will keep happening till Apple manufactures it’s complete line up in India and (maybe) they pass on the benefits to consumers. Just hope the overseers keep tabs on the quality side.

It makes no difference to Apple as their sales figures and profits show every time. Either pay the Apple tax and buy it or don’t or as many people do crib and buy the iPhone anyway.

It reminds me about petrol prices thru the years, they keep rising, people keep cribbing and fill petrol anyway. Different things, same mentality. Accept reality and move on, it is what it is!

Just a different perspective of the situation after reading all the posts cribbing about prices and irrelevant comparisons.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 16th October 2020 at 13:29.
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed