Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2020, 13:01   #46
S2K
BHPian

Re: The Keyboard Thread : Pics, advice, recommendations

Any mechanical keyboard from TVS. The TVS Gold is the best in the business. Have been using it for almost 8 years now. The feel, the accuracy, the ergonomics are spot on for a software developer who spends all his day hitting not just the main alphabet keys but also a lot of symbols/special characters.
Typing on these keyboards is purely happiness and I have often just mimicked typing frantically when not connected to computer
S2K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 14:09   #47
BHPian

I got a HP GK320 mechanical keyboard a couple of days back from Amazon for 1800 rupees. That was the cheapest branded keyboard I could find. If a cheap mechanical keyboard feels so good to type, I wonder how those expensive ones would be. This one is quite noisy, as it uses blue switches. I would prefer something quieter, but since I work from home, I can live with the sound. And I read that the blue ones are better for typing. Maybe when its time to go back to office, I'd buy a Keychron compact with red switches for my office desk.

The Keyboard Thread : Pics, advice, recommendations-img_20201026_13572932562.jpg
Old 27th October 2020, 12:03   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Oh, i just got it last week And i am still getting used to it a bit. My razer had keys that were almost flat like a laptop keyboard and this has raised keys. But it's my home pc and not much typing so i am ok.

And another niggle is that they put the macro buttons on the left side and it takes some getting used to as well.

My desktop has a red rgb theme going so wanted a rgb keyboard to complete the look. It also had a removable wrist pad which was also a necessity for me.

All in all, for 2k it's money well spent (hope it lasts for some time )
Thanks for the feedback, I am still confused between a wired or wireless keyboard. I don't type for long hours, the usual emails/presentations/excel sheet etc. Hence the dilemma. Hope the keyboard keeps you happy in long term.
Old 28th October 2020, 13:21   #49
BANNED

I have been using Dell SK 8115 rubberdome keyboard at home since 2007 and it just refuses to die. Many keys have become glossy by overuse but not a single key has gone bad. I have become bored of it now and I am desperately looking for a mechanical keyboard.

Looking for reliability and backlit (white is good enough) as most important criteria. Unfortunately all cheap and reliable keyboards seem out of stock currently. Any suggestions!

The Keyboard Thread : Pics, advice, recommendations-img_mjl__20201028_073924061.jpg
ottocycle is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 21:36   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
I'm curious ... was your USB version of the TVS Gold purchased before the 'Cherry MX Blue' to 'Long Hua (Kailh) Blue' switch was made by TVS in 2017? If so, your experience above is probably saying something quite unexpected!
Yes, it was purchased in 2011 for the retail price of Rs. 1,400 ... so maybe it's old, or maybe they were using different switches back then?

Personally I didn't notice too much of a difference switching from the TVS to the Redgear. However, I was really shocked when I switched back and the TVS just felt a lot softer and less clicky in comparison.

Honestly, things like this are only noticed when doing a back-to-back comparison, and we as humans tend to adapt to them (and get comfortable & 'prefer' them) pretty quickly.
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 21:47   #51
Senior - BHPian

Just realised the USB ports are a premium in newer laptops. My Dell precision has just 2 against 3 in my latitude. One goes to USB headset and I have just one slot free. Have been using Dell wireless keyboard /mouse which I picked from Amazon. Nothing fancy but looks like built to last.
Old 21st December 2020, 18:12   #52
BANNED

Had got a Cosmic Byte Gk-11 mechanical keyboard with brown switches during Diwali Sale. But returned the same as the spacebar and many larger keys were having a lot of rattle.

Then switched to 75% hotswappable keyboard from epomaker (EP84). Look and feel is great. I had ordered mine with gateron black switches. It has got the RGB gimmick as well but I have chosen to use single color.

The Keyboard Thread : Pics, advice, recommendations-img_mjl__20201221_092359061.jpg

The Keyboard Thread : Pics, advice, recommendations-img_mjl__20201221_102043997.jpg

The Keyboard Thread : Pics, advice, recommendations-img_mjl__20201221_093924736.jpg
ottocycle is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 12:21   #53
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Moved over to the "other side". Used my brother's Apple keyboard and fell in love with it, after 2 weeks of usage. I tried a mechanical keyboard too and it felt like a damn typewriter. Hated that, loved the Apple keyboard.

Bought it last week. Obscenely overpriced, as most Apple accessories are.

The Keyboard Thread : Pics, advice, recommendations-20201225-12.54.33.jpg
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 13:50   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Moved over to the "other side". Used my brother's Apple keyboard and fell in love with it, after 2 weeks of usage. I tried a mechanical keyboard too and it felt like a damn typewriter. Hated that, loved the Apple keyboard.

Bought it last week. Obscenely overpriced, as most Apple accessories are.

Attachment 2097871
Thinking of getting this one too.

I have the apple magic keyboard + apple magic trackpad 2 from office.

Since im changing jobs, planning to buy this pair for my own use since I doubt new place will give me this combo.

Thinking between the full size magic keyboard with number pad vs one without.

You tried the two and compared before buying?
Old 27th December 2020, 14:06   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvwali View Post
Thinking between the full size magic keyboard with number pad vs one without.

You tried the two and compared before buying?
Both the Magic Keyboard with the number pad and without are identical, except for the number pad on the side, that is. All depends on your preference, whether you will use the number pad regularly, and the space you have on your desk.

I have the full size with number pad and love it. Although I am thinking of trying out the Keychron K1 full size as well, because as good as the Magic Keyboard is (can reach some pretty insane typing speeds, and it's comfortable too), it just doesn't give you that mechanical feel.
s4ch is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 14:44   #56
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvwali View Post
number pad
The biggest mistake people make is focusing just on the number pad. I'm a power computer user (as am sure are you) and to me, the home + end + page up / down, proper delete button (not backspace), 2nd control button on the right and properly-sized arrow keys are as important (if not more) than the number pad.

You could say that I use both as the one on my Macbook 16 is comparable to the smaller Apple keyboard, but I MUCH prefer the full-size one only. That's the one I use for typing reviews, as an example.

Go for it. You won't regret it.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 14:47   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2K View Post
Any mechanical keyboard from TVS. The TVS Gold is the best in the business. Have been using it for almost 8 years now.
Inflation has not killed it. TVS have changed the key types to a cheaper one & have completely destroyed the original product.

Linus Tech reviewed it in 2018.

Buyer beware!
car_addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 00:29   #58
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Had got a Cosmic Byte Gk-11 mechanical keyboard with brown switches during Diwali Sale. But returned the same as the spacebar and many larger keys were having a lot of rattle.

Then switched to 75% hotswappable keyboard from epomaker (EP84). Look and feel is great. I had ordered mine with gateron black switches. It has got the RGB gimmick as well but I have chosen to use single color.
From where did you order it?
Old 30th December 2020, 14:51   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
From where did you order it?
I had ordered it from https://epomaker.com/. They have some sale going on currently just in case anyone is interested. Shipping/delivery was uneventful.
ottocycle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 15:25   #60
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
I had ordered it from https://epomaker.com/. They have some sale going on currently just in case anyone is interested. Shipping/delivery was uneventful.
How long did it take to deliver from the date of ordering? Wondering if Covid had same say in custom clearance time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks