Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2022, 12:24   #91
BHPian

Re: The Keyboard Thread : Pics, advice, recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Did you buy the keyboard eventually? I am in the market for a new keyboard and am confused between a mechanical or the apple type chicklet keyboard like K580.
No. I went with a renewed G512. The 413 has Logitech's custom Romer G switches that has a high failure rate. the 512 has the traditional style Kailh switches.

I also have a K380 that has chicklet style scissor switches as the K580. For typing (which I do a lot), I prefer the mechanical keyboard. In fact, I find the cheaper HP GK320 with blue switches more satisfying to type than the brown ones on the much expensive Logi.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 16:29   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheWanderer View Post
I will most likely buy it...
So, I bought the Redragon Shiva K512 just over a year ago. The experience in the beginning was good, the RGB was a nice change from the old keyboard. The macros made copy & paste even easier and the matte black coating looked really nice.

However, within 1 year I noticed that paint from some of the heavily used keys had started to peel off. The 'End' and 'Insert' keys seemed to be on the verge of giving up (working fine but no feedback at all when pressed). To compare, my older Logitech K200 lasted for approximately 5 - 6 years before facing any of these problems.

Overall, the experience with the Redragon Shiva was meh.

About 2 weeks ago I got myself a Keychron K2V2.

So far, it seems to be a world apart - the typing experience is miles ahead (as expected).

Not to mention that it is significantly smaller than the older keyboard so there's a lot more space on my desk (for my cat to lounge around).

I normally leave the backlight off (only the keys pressed light up for a second) and I've only had to charge the keyboard once. I do turn off the keyboard when I step away for more than 10 - 15 minutes.

The only thing I miss is an 'Insert' key.

If you have a habit of resting your palms on the desk or keyboard while typing, then you will definitely need a palm rest as it is a fairly tall keyboard.

The Keyboard Thread : Pics, advice, recommendations-20220726_160917.jpg

The Keyboard Thread : Pics, advice, recommendations-20220726_160926.jpg

The Keyboard Thread : Pics, advice, recommendations-20220726_161918.jpg
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 22:10   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Went back to the mech. key keyboard bandwagon recently. The Logitech MX Mechanical. Gosh, lovely to type on after using chiclet and membrane KBs for decades. Now that's got me really interested in Keychron et al.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 23:46   #94
BHPian

Would anyone know where I could currently shop for mechanical keyboards in Bangalore or online reliably?

My requirements:

Must-Haves:
  • Must have Cherry MX Blue "Clicky" switches
  • Must be a full-size, 104-key, ANSI-layout keyboard
  • Must have backlit keys, with an option to switch off the lights. I don't need RGB or multiple fancy effects. A subtle, stable white light would do.
  • Must have media-control keys (at least volume up/down functionality)
Nice to have
  • Double-shot PBT keycaps
  • Dedicated media-control keys
  • Detachable USB Type-C cable
  • Preferably an all-black keyboard. No "funky" colors.
For reference, my current daily driver is the CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro L White with Cherry MX Blue switches.

I enjoy this keyboard. It requires no software for configuring it and has a classy, subtle white per-key backlight, among other things. The only thing I wish it had are PBT keycaps.
I however need a new keyboard now because the spacebar stabilizers have stopped working, unfortunately.

I've searched in the usual suspects online such as MECKEYS but they don't have full-size keyboards in stock.
Old 28th October 2022, 00:56   #95
BHPian

I got a popular 60% Mechanical keyboard from Aliexpress 2 years back for around 2600 INR :

Geek GK61 60% Mechanical Keyboard with Gateron Optical Red Linear Switches

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3290...6ab8f19cVJwVxP

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...your-rigs.html (The Computer setup show-off thread. Let's see your rigs!)

The Keyboard Thread : Pics, advice, recommendations-img_3384.jpg

Does its job & looks good A cheaper alternative to Ducky One 2 Mini.

Last edited by Samfromindia : 28th October 2022 at 01:00.
Old 23rd November 2022, 15:37   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHURCHIL View Post
I have been using the Logitech’s MX keys & MX Master Mice for past 9 months. The best part is the kit is re-chargeable with a USB-C and you don’t have keep buying batteries which is an expensive thing here in the UK.
Could you provide a long-term ownership update on this product? After doing some research I have narrowed down on this one but like you have called out it costs a bomb.

Also - how many days does the charge last? Has the charge holding reduced over time?
Old 23rd November 2022, 16:08   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Could you provide a long-term ownership update on this product? After doing some research I have narrowed down on this one but like you have called out it costs a bomb.

Also - how many days does the charge last? Has the charge holding reduced over time?
Hi,
I have been using it for more than a year now. The one thing I really love is the battery life and it runs easily for a month as I generally switch off the lights or use low Brightness mode. I don’t switch off my keyboard on my desk and it goes into a sleep mode. I have not experienced the drop in battery power after all the use and pretty much use it in a room that gets chill over night. It is a bliss to type and I have used many keyboards and even have a logo ergo k810 which is made for comfort. However I feel that MX keys are my style and it is elegant. It costs a bomb, however if you want a keyboard for long term use and not the clicky mechanical ones, then this is the best. I also love the proximity sensors on this and it just lights up when you come closer to the keys. The transitions between devices using the dedicated buttons for 3 different devices comes handy along with a dedicated calculator and PC lock buttons. I am sure you will love it.
Attached Thumbnails
The Keyboard Thread : Pics, advice, recommendations-1image.jpg  

The Keyboard Thread : Pics, advice, recommendations-1image.jpg  

WCHURCHIL is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 09:42   #98
Team-BHP Support

Need help in getting a keyboard for my desktop. The Dell keyboard does not work as fluently any more and keeps getting stuck. Budget (ideally) would be something below Rs. 5,000 and would be nice if I get it on Amaozn (Flipkart as a second option).

The Dell Mouse is working okay so won't change. Will prefer a wired keyboard.

Thanks.
Old 27th March 2023, 10:11   #99
BHPian

Here are my two keyboards -
- Keychron K2v2 with custom dye-sub PBT keycaps (XDA Profile)
- Das Keyboard 4 Professional with custom doubleshot PBT keycaps (OEM Profile)
Attached Thumbnails
The Keyboard Thread : Pics, advice, recommendations-daskeeb.jpg  

The Keyboard Thread : Pics, advice, recommendations-keyckeeb.jpg  

Last edited by riturajsharma19 : 27th March 2023 at 10:28.
Old 27th March 2023, 10:15   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Need help in getting a keyboard for my desktop. The Dell keyboard does not work as fluently any more and keeps getting stuck. Budget (ideally) would be something below Rs. 5,000 and would be nice if I get it on Amaozn (Flipkart as a second option).

The Dell Mouse is working okay so won't change. Will prefer a wired keyboard.

Thanks.
Feel and use wise, TVS Gold is one of the best keyboards available. It's a mechanical keyboard so will be little more noisy than regular ones esp. during late night work; but then feel and durability wise, it is hard to beat.

https://www.amazon.in/TVS-Bharal-Gol...s%2C408&sr=8-3

You may get it at a lower price from local shop.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 11:54   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHURCHIL View Post
... However I feel that MX keys are my style and it is elegant. It costs a bomb, however if you want a keyboard for long term use and not the clicky mechanical ones, then this is the best. I...
Agreed. This is the best keyboard I have ever used. Feels solid and built to last. the key input feels are very positive and not clunky. one of my best upgrades.
Old 30th March 2023, 18:37   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

You may get it at a lower price from local shop.

Regards,
Saket.
Cheaper off-line by Rs. 900. Thanks .

Typing is good, but, it's a bit bulkier than my liking.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 01:20   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Need help in getting a keyboard for my desktop. The Dell keyboard does not work as fluently any more and keeps getting stuck. Budget (ideally) would be something below Rs. 5,000 and would be nice if I get it on Amaozn (Flipkart as a second option)... Will prefer a wired keyboard.
I'm assuming the following since you haven't mentioned any specific requirements other than your budget:
  • You are not seeking mechanical keyboards as such.
  • You're probably looking for a full-size keyboard.

Here are some of my choices in this price range, in no particular order:
  • HyperX Alloy Core RGB: Although they've used the gamer aesthetic for the font, the design looks pretty clean. My pick from this list.
  • Logitech G213 Prodigy: While the product images show the ISO layout, customers seem to be receiving the ANSI layout models. See if you care about that.
  • Corsair K55 RGB PRO: I'm not a fan of the column of macro keys on the left-hand side, and the "gamer" font on the keys. If you can live with those, you could consider this one.
  • HP K300: Again, not a fan of the font used on the keycaps. The layout looks a bit compact, with people complaining about being prone to mistyping. Cheapest of this bunch by miles.
KryptonMonkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 11:57   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Cheaper off-line by Rs. 900. Thanks .

Typing is good, but, it's a bit bulkier than my liking.
I recently bought a perixx ergonomic keyboard https://www.amazon.in/s?k=perixx+erg...d=TX2VPBQ6J8T3
Since I did not have much use of the num pad.
The form factor of this keyboard (413B) is smaller than than the one with the num pad (512B).
The key sizes are smaller than a regular keyboard (The TVS ones a XL in size in comparison). Also the usual large enter key & back space keys are sorely missed, when compared to a TVS board.The Keyboard Thread : Pics, advice, recommendations-tvsperixx.jpg

The switches are membrane ones, and do not have the clicks in a mech one. That said, the key strokes need full travel.
For daily typing, quite comfortable and more than adequate.

For my typing style, which is a kind of touch typing that uses only 2-3 fingers of each hand, I did not face any learning curve.

The biggest gain is the neutral wrist position due to the angle of the keys and the curvature of the keyboard. I hope the snaps below give some idea of the same.
Can't comment on the durability since I've used it only for ~2 of months (daily use - 8-12 hours).
The Keyboard Thread : Pics, advice, recommendations-perixxelevation1.jpg
The Keyboard Thread : Pics, advice, recommendations-perixxelevation2.jpg
whitewing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 19:45   #105
BHPian

Logitech MX Keys Mini: ~80% of the size but meets 100% of my needs
The Keyboard Thread : Pics, advice, recommendations-20230427_150314.jpg

After 3 years of using the MX Master 3 mouse, I'd been yearning for the keyboard companion to go with it. I had my eyes set on the MX Keys keyboard but for one reason or the other, usually price, I held off, till eventually Logitech launch the MX Keys Mini. As luck would have it, it finally came in stock and I pulled the trigger. The compact keyboard for me is much better suited to my desk layout, I don't really find myself missing the numpad (in fact I find myself struggling a bit with my full sized work keyboard now). The keyboard itself is compact but has this dense solidity too it. It's not light but any measure. The back has a very grippy textured surface to it with generous pads at each corner that prevent slipping. I must add that you can't adjust the angle of the keyboard, it's orientation is fixed by the shape of the thicker battery bar that you see along the top (bears the logo). The battery isn't removable.

The keys themselves are fairly quiet (I'm not one for the clacking of a mechanical set up). They have the spring and travel of your typical non-Apple laptop keyboard (this is an imprecise science but I'd say a bit like a Thinkpad keyboard). In the few months I've had it, I tend to need to recharge every 1-1.5 months. This is admittedly because I have the backlighting turned off usually (the proximity sensor on this is very good at lighting up the keyboard when you hover close to it). It's ambient light detection isn't quite as fast but if in a fairly well lit environment I've found that within 10-15 minutes it'll automatically turn off the backlighting. It took the briefest moments to get used to the dual Mac+Windows markings on function keys for eg. The hotkeys at the top are the default instead of traditional function keys. I've not quite worked out how to use the switching between devices buttons to the top left, and it took me a while to realise that there's built in buttons for say emojis, screen capture, and muting in meetings. The latter is now quite handy. Of course ultimately the Logi+ software allows you to configure some of the buttons yourself though I've not yet had need for it. Overall, really pleased with this product! Can recommend (Logitech's products are on the pricier side but for me I appreciate the quality to the MX range and am fully converted to it). I managed to get it for £80 last year. That was about the lowest I saw it on sale in the UK, can't speak to the India prices but my experience has been that 20% off MRP is the most I've noticed on these flagship Logitech products.

I know there's another full sized MX keyboard with a configurable dial that seems a bit like the Surface Dial that Microsoft first revealed with the big Surface Studio (I find it a pretty cool peripheral). I had long thought about the dial but ultimately for the sort of drawing functions I'd have ended up utilising that dial for, I find myself using the side scroll wheel on my mouse.
ads11 is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks