Team-BHP - The Home Air Purifier Thread : Reviews & Comparisons
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Home Air Purifier Thread : Reviews & Comparisons (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/228686-home-air-purifier-thread-reviews-comparisons-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by s4ch (Post 5478561)
Do you still recommend the Mi 3 unit? You had mentioned the sensors need cleaning occasionally. Is that internally or externally? Easy to do DIY?

I am using the mi 3 for 2 years now. Never had to clean the sensors. In my experience the filter can be reused 2/3 times if the environment is not too polluted.

There is slight clicking sound from fan at low speed.

Quote:

Please could you provide your feedback on the Sharp? I’m keen on this one but the cadr seems quite low compared to the competition indicating a slow air flow rate. Your thoughts on this compared to the competition?

The unit works fine as it used to be on day 1. It is still silent when it works.

I pull out the filter for a wash and clean once every 4 months or so. Easy job.

It might not look the prettiest, but for my home, it’s been working flawless since it arrived. I really didn’t get into the tech specs of this vs competitor products back then.

Hi - I am planning to buy air purifier in Bombay due to the recent deterioration in the air quality. While earlier I was looking to buy Coway, Philips etc., I am now looking at Dyson. Just wanted to check the experience of the fellow members using any of these brands and if they have any suggestion.

Quote:

Do you still recommend the Mi 3 unit? You had mentioned the sensors need cleaning occasionally. Is that internally or externally? Easy to do DIY?

That was for the older models. The newer ones from the past couple of years don’t need any cleaning and use much higher quality laser pm2.5 sensors. Those sensors alone sell for 5 to 20k so it makes it worth buying a Xioami air purifier just to have that sensor. I fully recommend them. They are the absolute best in terms of design, performance and features as well as affordability. In Delhi NCR, we have four Xiaomi purifiers and they work very well. I have also used a much more expensive Dyson purfier and Xioami beats it hands down.

I actually don't understand the reason why some of the air purifiers are so expensive. Pardon my language/ignorance, but they are glorified in-room exhaust which have a filter placed in between. While sensors/wifi etc. are helpful feature, companies should also consider launching a dumb down version so that these purifiers can be bought by more ppl without getting confused. Places like Delhi (and now Mumbai) need these to be switched on 24x7, so basic and cheaper version of purifiers should also be quite helpful.

I recently ordered the Sharp FP-40E-W Air Purifier from Amazon. Payed 9300 rupees from Amazon and have been running it 24x7. Zeroed in on Sharp because of the HEPA H14 filter that it uses. And honestly speaking, I'm not a fan of fancy digital displays and app connectivity and so on and so forth that some of its competitors advertize. It took 2 minutes to set up including an "Auto Restart" where the purifier automatically restarts after a power outage. Just a simple, easy to use machine. So far so good. Maybe its placebo effect but we find the air to be just a little bit fresher in the room with the purifier running.

While the air quality in Bangalore may not be as bad as Delhi or other North Indian states, it is not far off, and with elderly people in the house who are sensitive to allergens, I guess it's going to be a necessity going forward:disappointed

I research AQ and associated hardware for a living. Not sure if I've commented on this thread previously, but here goes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lobogris (Post 5480582)
That was for the older models. The newer ones from the past couple of years don’t need any cleaning and use much higher quality laser pm2.5 sensors. Those sensors alone sell for 5 to 20k so it makes it worth buying a Xioami air purifier just to have that sensor. I fully recommend them. They are the absolute best in terms of design, performance and features as well as affordability. In Delhi NCR, we have four Xiaomi purifiers and they work very well. I have also used a much more expensive Dyson purfier and Xioami beats it hands down.

Mi makes good stuff. I have one personally. The sensor bit is incorrect - the sensors have not changed for years, and were at a high level of quality and accuracy even in 2016. The sensing element itself is $8, much cheaper in bulk. The cost of 5k you see is the design, import duties, etc. added. All sensors get clogged and need cleaning - if Mi is claiming otherwise then they've rewritten the laws of physics. However, their purifiers are far better than Dyson - they are made for Chinese pollution where Dyson repurposed their designer fan to be a purifier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohittunga (Post 5482202)
I recently ordered the Sharp FP-40E-W Air Purifier from Amazon. Payed 9300 rupees from Amazon and have been running it 24x7. Zeroed in on Sharp because of the HEPA H14 filter that it uses.

..., and with elderly people in the house who are sensitive to allergens, I guess it's going to be a necessity going forward:disappointed

Don't worry about H14 vs H12 or anything else. As long as it's a true HEPA filter, you are good to go. And it will help with allergies, because HEPA filters trap pollen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by youknowitbetter (Post 5479683)
Hi - I am planning to buy air purifier in Bombay due to the recent deterioration in the air quality. While earlier I was looking to buy Coway, Philips etc., I am now looking at Dyson. Just wanted to check the experience of the fellow members using any of these brands and if they have any suggestion.

Buy Xiaomi, would be my suggestion. Their purifiers are very good for the price. You'll spend 2k or so to replace the filter annually. Sharp, I think, offers washable HEPA filters in their purifier at a similar price point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by youknowitbetter (Post 5481397)
I actually don't understand the reason why some of the air purifiers are so expensive. Pardon my language/ignorance, but they are glorified in-room exhaust which have a filter placed in between. While sensors/wifi etc. are helpful feature, companies should also consider launching a dumb down version so that these purifiers can be bought by more ppl without getting confused

You are absolutely correct. There is actually a company called Smart Air catering to this market. I have no business relationship with them, so here you go: https://smartairfilters.com

EDIT: Seems I've been here before. Views are consistent, and still stand. :)

Sharp is the best in the world and I've been using it for 15 years. it really gives sense of fresh air
Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r (Post 5482278)
Buy Xiaomi, would be my suggestion. Their purifiers are very good for the price. You'll spend 2k or so to replace the filter annually. Sharp, I think, offers washable HEPA filters in their purifier at a similar price point

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebring (Post 5482488)
Sharp is the best in the world and I've been using it for 15 years. it really gives sense of fresh air

There is really no 'best' - in my professional opinion. I have worked with all of these and can state it with some confidence. I am not sure what you mean by 'sense of fresh air' but as long as you're happy. :)

True HEPA filters cannot be washed by the average consumer at home. They need to be replaced. Anyone offering a washable HEPA filter ought to have their claims scrutinized very thoroughly.

@v1p3r - Thanks for your reply. I agree with your suggestion, but they have not been able to sell well in India (may be due to lack of marketing). I had actually made 1 DIY air purifier couple of years back after I saw it on their website. It did work well in Noida, but since it wasn't pleasing to eyes, we bought another air purifier.

Mine is the desert version. Since you're in DXB, i'm sure you know :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r (Post 5482725)
There is really no 'best' - in my professional opinion. I have worked with all of these and can state it with some confidence. I am not sure what you mean by 'sense of fresh air' but as long as you're happy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebring (Post 5482770)
Mine is the desert version. Since you're in DXB, i'm sure you know :)

I'm familiar with the version. However, Dubai is clean enough for me to not need an air purifier. In fact, I drive a convertible quite often as well.

Air quality in Dubai is pretty good - the bullsh*t bad AQI data from IQAir or whoever include desert dust hundreds of feet in the air.

After going thru this thread - I see recommendations for Sharp and Xiaomi.

Xiaomi seems to have two models Air Purifier 4 and Air Purifier 4 Lite as on date.

Is the Air Purifier 4 worth the premium over Lite? The Filter cost varies by only 500/- which seems OK. So from a long term perspective investment angle is it better to go with Air Purifier 4?

Not in a hurry - will possibly buy during the next sale in Jan or so...

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsrivatsa (Post 5661607)
After going thru this thread - I see recommendations for Sharp and Xiaomi.

Xiaomi seems to have two models Air Purifier 4 and Air Purifier 4 Lite as on date.

Is the Air Purifier 4 worth the premium over Lite? The Filter cost varies by only 500/- which seems OK. So from a long term perspective investment angle is it better to go with Air Purifier 4?

Not in a hurry - will possibly buy during the next sale in Jan or so...

I have now accumulated 5 Mi purifiers. The last one I bought was last week from https://www.shopyvision.com/product/...carbon-filter/
Because it wasn't in stock anywhere else. I think the 3 is a full function smart purifier compared to 4 lite (at least that's the impression I got). And since my other 3s were doing well and I get all with same filters so I bought 3 again.

All my purifiers are setup using a multi-room smart routine, where it checks AQI level and only turns on all 5 together when AQI is over 85 and turns off when below 65. Pretty much a fully automated routine, with the common area purifier turning off at night, while bedrooms staying on. Most months of the year they never turn on (save the filter and motor!), unless we burn something in the kitchen, or light a candle etc.