Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which streaming device do you prefer?
Amazon Fire stick 191 59.13%
Google Chromecast 40 12.38%
Apple TV 25 7.74%
Inbuilt apps of my Smart TV 51 15.79%
Other (please specify in your post) 16 4.95%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2021, 01:47   #106
BHPian

Re: Amazon Fire Stick vs Google Chrome Cast vs Apple TV : Your choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi Guys, I'm having a remote pairing problem with the firestick nowadays. Works OK if you use the phone, but, the remote is having an issue. How to find out if its a software or hardware issue?
Been facing the same myself; but it resolves itself within a couple of mins after booting up fully. Hoping for a simple firmware update to fix it.

Have used the Firestick for over a year now and can totally vouch for an otherwise niggle-free and smooth experience. Using it with my Samsung Smart TV in the bedroom, never got around to liking the stock Samsung UI. The living room VU Android works like a charm though.
Old 26th July 2021, 07:18   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
How does this work? I checked Google TV which is essentially Google Play movies app. But how does it access content to my subscriptions like Netflix, Prime etc?
It just shows recommendations from the apps you have installed. Also allows you to resume from where you left off. One big advantage with CCwGTV is the ability to turn off HDR. Mid range TVs simply don't have the required brightness levels to push HDR.
Old 26th July 2021, 10:30   #108
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
It just shows recommendations from the apps you have installed. Also allows you to resume from where you left off.
Does not seem to be working for me. For example, I am logged into the Prime app on my phone but none of the content from there is visible on the "Google Play Movies & TV" app.

Is detection of a Chromecast by the app necessary for this aggregation to work in it (though that doesn't make sense)?
One is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 14:44   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Does not seem to be working for me. For example, I am logged into the Prime app on my phone but none of the content from there is visible on the "Google Play Movies & TV" app.

Is detection of a Chromecast by the app necessary for this aggregation to work in it (though that doesn't make sense)?
You seem to be confusing the two. Google play movies & TV app is a standalone app which will only show content which you can either rent or buy. For CCwGTV, its a dongle which plugs into your HDMI port, has a homescreen which pulls content from different service providers(Netflix, Prime, etc).

Hope this answers
Old 26th July 2021, 15:49   #110
BHPian

Is anyone able to cast content from SonyLiv (olympics) to TV using Chromecast. I tried from multiple devices, but it never loads on TV. I have a very reliable broadband connection, and casting from other OTT apps is not an issue.
Old 26th July 2021, 16:17   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
Is anyone able to cast content from SonyLiv (olympics) to TV using Chromecast.
No. I was able to cast on day 1 (events before the opening ceremony) but not now.
DigitalOne is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 01:43   #112
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
You seem to be confusing the two. Google play movies & TV app is a standalone app which will only show content which you can either rent or buy. For CCwGTV, its a dongle which plugs into your HDMI port, has a homescreen which pulls content from different service providers(Netflix, Prime, etc).

Hope this answers
Thanks for clarifying that Completely missed the launch of this device
Old 2nd March 2022, 15:32   #113
BHPian

Re: List your digital / online subscriptions here!

Dear Mods,
Not sure whether it is the right thread. if not, move it to correct thread.

I am using Amazon fire stick 4k in my TV. I have few subscriptions like Netflix, SunNxt, Zee 5, Sony Liv , Prime & Hotstar.
The problem i am facing quiet often recently and repeatedly is, Youtube and Netflix will not work for few hours (this happens atleast once a week). Any video will play for 1 to 2 sec only. In youtube the buffering symbol will come and in netflix, it will stop at around 20% loading.
With same wifi connected, Youtube and netflix will work from the smart tv or mobile phones.
When Youtube and Netflix are not working, SunNXT will work, but it takes almost close to 15 sec to start working.
Also, when the Youtube is not working, other apps like Hotstar, prime, Zee5 etc will work without any issues.
I googled it, and it seems to be a problem with Amazon Web Services.
The issue gets resolved on its own after 6 to 12 hrs.
I am already fedup with this frequent disconnection and I am planning to change the media streamer to something else.
My query is if i change my media player to apple tv or nvidia shield or chromecast, will this issue disappear?

Thanks in advance
Barath
barathvajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 18:25   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
Dear Mods,
---------
My query is if i change my media player to apple tv or nvidia shield or chromecast, will this issue disappear?

Thanks in advance
Barath
I have a similar issue. In my Sony Bravia Smart TV, Youtube app stops playing after 1 second. Amazon Prime Video plays just fine. I currently don't have Hotstar but when I had it, it also played fine.

Till now haven't understood why Youtube doesn't play. For sometime after I had bought the TV, it also used to play fine. So my guess is some later software update had screwed it up.
Old 2nd March 2022, 18:34   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
Dear Mods,

I am using Amazon fire stick 4k in my TV. I have few subscriptions like Netflix, SunNxt, Zee 5, Sony Liv , Prime & Hotstar.
------------------------------------
will this issue disappear?

Thanks in advance
Barath
Any chance you tried to just restart the firestick and again recreate the same issue and did it disappear?
I know that firesticks have dismal 1GB RAM and only I guess 4K has 2GB. I have Onida Fire TV Edition TV which too has only 1GB RAM and apps will stutter or just crash and hence I have a small app which will just kill the open apps and processes with one click and then I start that app (say netflix or youtube or whatever) again and usually it works well.
Old 8th August 2022, 10:42   #116
BHPian

If I have a spare mobile(redmi note4), can I install the OTT apps on mobile, connect to TV through a micro usb to HDMI cable and watch content on TV?

If yes, any recommendation of a cheap and reliable cable?

Will the above setup work when I have a mobile only plan of hotstar,netflix etc.,?

Will the setup work with downloaded content? (I think amazon prime app does not allow to stream downloaded content and you have to stream it from net always)

Please also add if any other pointers on pros/cons of this setup like degradation of video quality or any DRM issues?

Last edited by Everlearner : 8th August 2022 at 10:44.
Old 8th August 2022, 13:57   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlearner View Post
If I have a spare mobile(redmi note4), can I install the OTT apps on mobile, connect to TV through a micro usb to HDMI cable and watch content on TV?

If yes, any recommendation of a cheap and reliable cable?
You need MHL support which the Redmi phones don't have. You could use Miracast, again Xiaomi and most Android phones have dropped support. (Chromecast is not mirroring). So a cable is of no use here.

This is the difference between Samsung smartphones (at least the flagships) and other Android phones.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 11:58   #118
BHPian

I purchased Apple TV 4k 64 GB back in 2017 during the times when we never had unlimited internet in our city (even broadband usage had a cap back then.

My parents never made use of it as my parents found it to be way too complicated. During COVID when my parents got bored of the conventional TV channels, I made a spreadsheet with all possible app subscriptions and compared the total expenditure comparing it to the recharge of the set-top box and eventually they decided to give it a try.

Since then me and my family are happily using the Apple TV and the user experience till date is niggle free. The UI is perfect and I can never settle lower than this as it is the best. Alongside, the Apple ecosystem is the best and that's what has pulled me towards it.
vgaquarius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 19:06   #119
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am having some issues with my Amazon Fire Stick and would appreciate some help please. A month ago it was working fine.

Now when I switch it on, the "Amazon" logo comes up followed by the "Fire Stick" logo with 3 dots underneath.

After the 3 dots scroll for a while, the screen shows "Optimizing.....this can take a while".

After about 10 minutes the blue time bar reaches the end and the screen goes black for a minute before once again showing the "Amazon" logo and then the "Fire Stick" logo.

It keeps trying to "Optimize" but nothing happens.

Can anyone please suggest a fix for this please?

Thanks & Regards,
SS
Old 18th November 2022, 23:13   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post

After the 3 dots scroll for a while, the screen shows "Optimizing.....this can take a while".
It could be a power supply issue. I’ve noticed this happening if I use the TV’s usb port or a cheap power adapter to supply power.

How do you power up the Stick?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks