Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2010, 09:32   #211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Friends,

I am looking for some information about the inverters used as backup for lifts in case of Power failure.
=============
Any BHPins have any info on this requirement.
ghodlur, inverters and ups in this case is not at all recommended. they are used mostly for constant load. like tj123 said using it with heavy motor with start stop condition will definitely damage it. it is better to go for a DG.
Old 25th March 2010, 09:40   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Since lift has an large induction motor, it will draw heavy current in frequent start stop condition, in such case an inverter is not a suitable option..
Even if you get a reasonably large UPS systems then also it will be quite an expensive affair, for a long term solution better to go in for a DG-set.
@tj123,
Agreed that the Inverter is not a good option and going for Generator backup for long term is a good choice but presently the generator option is ruled out since we have started functioning as a society and generator buying/maintaining is a costly option with a high intial investment. Also there is no specific space in our society for generator, will have to be a makeshift arrangement presently in car parking which is not recommended. Above that the society is not completely occupied by residents, still some (read 30%) are yet to occupy. In these conditions, contributions from members would run into tens of thousands for a generator backup. Whereas an Inverter would cost somewhere in range of 40K to 60K which is still OK. Pls see the link below and share you views on the same.
>>> SU-KAM <<< Leading manufacturer of Power Products in India, Only Power back up company manufacturing world class UPS, Home UPS, Online UPS, Inverters, Batteries, Battery Chargers, Solar Products
Old 25th March 2010, 11:02   #213
Senior - BHPian

Sukam may be talking about lifts in private residences and not necessarily in apartment buildings. The usage will be totally different in the two instances.

I would encourage you to call in the Sukam people (from the company & not the local retailer) and discuss regarding your application. I am sure all of us on the forum will benefit from your interaction with them and you may just find the answer to your lift woes.
Old 25th March 2010, 12:47   #214
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I am planning to take my inverter & battery from Pune to Mumbai. I was wondering is it safe to disconnect everything & take it? Is there anything I should do before taking it to Mumbai? Any ideas?
Old 25th March 2010, 13:48   #215
BHPian

carboy; the inverter should always be disconnected before transport, and should be reconnected by qualified technician. While transportation there may be battery water spill if the vent cap is faulty, check whether they are tight or not.
Old 25th March 2010, 20:10   #216
BHPian

Anybody has experience with Videocon Inverters? They say its based on IGBT technology - does it provide any significant advantage? I am mulling buying this as it is a big brand and seems to be cheaper than Su-kam or Microtek.
Link : Home Appliances >> New Home Appliances >> Home UPS / Inverter >> ECO Tech - 850

I plan to buy one shortly and the unit shall be kept indoors. So which is the battery to go for - would the commonly available tubular ones be fine? Also in case I buy Videocon, I will end up buying batteries separately - is it such a big issue in buying inverter and battery separately that i should move to a different brand?
Old 25th March 2010, 21:18   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious_maniac View Post
.... and the unit shall be kept indoors. So which is the battery to go for - would the commonly available tubular ones be fine? ....
If you plan to keep the whole thing indoors you should go for the maintenance free sealed batteries (VRLA), like the ones used with UPS.
Two things to bear in mind:
1) These batteries have to be kept below 40°C ambient.
2) The charging current should be set to a lower level than for regular LA batteries.

Max capacity that is available is 120 AH. I bought Panasonic batteries recently.
Old 25th March 2010, 22:41   #218
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys,

SMFs are available for higher ranges up to 200AH. see link below

>>> SU-KAM <<< Leading manufacturer of Power Products in India, Only Power back up company manufacturing world class UPS, Home UPS, Online UPS, Inverters, Batteries, Battery Chargers, Solar Products
Old 26th March 2010, 07:30   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
carboy; the inverter should always be disconnected before transport, and should be reconnected by qualified technician. While transportation there may be battery water spill if the vent cap is faulty, check whether they are tight or not.
Carboy one more thing. If possible cover both the terminals of the battery with a good insulator, dont want them to short while in transport.
Old 26th March 2010, 07:53   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious_maniac View Post
Anybody has experience with Videocon Inverters? They say its based on IGBT technology - does it provide any significant advantage? I am mulling buying this as it is a big brand and seems to be cheaper than Su-kam or Microtek.
I plan to buy one shortly and the unit shall be kept indoors. So which is the battery to go for - would the commonly available tubular ones be fine? Also in case I buy Videocon, I will end up buying batteries separately - is it such a big issue in buying inverter and battery separately that i should move to a different brand?
Seious maniac, the IGBT technology is good. IGBTs can handle more current that Mosfet and they are less prone to failure. They are always used in higher KVA inverters and ups. Some home inverters are using IGBT technology. But it all depends on how much load you are using. The videocon one is 800 W system. Will you be using this much load. Ask them about the power factor of the inverter.

it is better to buy both the inverter and the battery from the same player. there is a thread regarding the various battery, check this out.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...batteries.html

Since videocon is new in this field, no one can tell surely about the product and aftersales service. Let us see if any team-bhp members have tried videocon inverter for their review.
Old 31st March 2010, 12:01   #221
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I need some help with selecting a inverter or generator.

Back in my village we have official load shedding for 12 hours. Half of this is during nights. The remaining 12 hours of power supply is not uninterrupted either. One can safely assume that there would be an extra hour of power cut.

I need to have a backup system in place which would run at least 3 Fans and a couple of CFLs for a minimum of 6 hours(during nights).

My concern - will the batteries get fully charged in 11 hours, in case I chose the inverter? If yes, what could be the total cost for this setup and which brand? I would prefer a brand which doesn't need frequent fiddling with, since it's a village and I don't expect the service centers to be nearby.

If the Inverter doesn't work for my requirements then what would be the brand/cost of an gen-set for my needs? Also, I would like to know the amount of fuel (preferably Diesel) consumed per hour for this application.

--TIA

Last edited by safari_lover : 31st March 2010 at 12:06.
Old 31st March 2010, 12:46   #222
BHPian

@safari_lover: If the power supply in your village is so erratic, it would be better to have an inverter (say 500W) with a small backup generator (say 1.5kVA) to run your water pumps, iron boxes, and recharge the inverter battery; thus reducing the demand on the battery. Alternately, you could consider a solar powered system, if the cost is bearable.
Old 1st April 2010, 11:13   #223
BHPian

Generator is really better than Inverter because of following reasons :[*]No need to change Batteries[*]No spilling of acid.[*]No need to recharge.

Disadvantages of Generator :[*]Heavy noise/air pollution[*]Need to fill fuel.[*]Overload may lead to voltage fluctuation.

My opinion will always go with Generator than Inverter.
Old 1st April 2010, 13:00   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
My opinion will always go with Generator than Inverter.
The single biggest advantage of an inverter - it is totally automatic!
Hardly any gensets are offering this feature, and then it comes at great cost, if available!
Old 1st April 2010, 13:06   #225
BHPian

With this monthly rise in fuel prices, the per unit charge of a generator is very much greater than inverters.

My opinion will always go with the inverter than generator (for home use).

Most Viewed