Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2010, 09:58   #346
BHPian

@Thad
Quote:
I have a digital multimeter, which I often use for checking voltages, both mains and battery, and it has a "clamp" --- but to get a reading of the current passing through a wire (without breaking it) I think I have to put the clamp around the live wire only?
Not really. You can use that in any of the wires - phase or neutral. A note: Most cheap chinese made clamp meters has varying sensitivity around the clamp. So check with a known load - like a 100 W incandescent bulb where your meter has the 'right' sensitivity.
Old 13th July 2010, 12:16   #347
BHPian

Can someone please point me to good inverter & battery dealers in bangalore east (indiranagar, thippasandra, old madras road, banaswadi, kr puram, etc). Thanks!
Old 13th July 2010, 17:54   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
@Thad Not really. You can use that in any of the wires - phase or neutral.
But not around the flex with both live and neutral included? Maybe I need to make myself a special extension socket with loose conductors, just for testing.

Yes... it was a cheap meter, but it is much, much better than the really, really cheap analogue meter I got decades ago, although it has to be admitted that it did last decades before it stopped working

Checking a known load is a good idea.
Old 14th July 2010, 12:11   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But not around the flex with both live and neutral included? Maybe I need to make myself a special extension socket with loose conductors, just for testing.
If you are in a hurry, you can unscrew the wall socket and put your clamp meter in the lead-in wires feeding the socket where your refrigerator is plugged. I know it is a quick and dirty solution.
Old 14th July 2010, 14:50   #350
Distinguished - BHPian

That is a good idea that had never occurred to me!

However, getting those screws lined up when reassembling is always a hassle, plus the risk of exposed live wires/parts.

Speaking of which, I have to do just that, and replace most of my "international" sockets with pure Indian round-pin. Despite being MK, a reputed international make, these sockets do not keep their spring tension at all, which leads to loose connection, sparking etc. Far better that I either use adapters or change the plugs on my British devices.
Old 14th July 2010, 22:44   #351
Senior - BHPian

At my aunt's house, they have the Sukam Falcon inverter rated at 800Va, which is connected to a 1.5KVa battery. It seems, when the previous 800Va battery died, the dealer came in with the 1.5KVa and fixed it. They have this running without an issue for the last one month; only drawback, as expected, is the charging time is high.

So, the question is, even though using a low rated inverter to charge a higher charge battery is not right, is it a risk? I do not think this was the right thing to do and the dealer just wanted to finish the job, but then, what exactly are we looking at here?
Old 15th July 2010, 08:02   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
At my aunt's house, they have the Sukam Falcon inverter rated at 800Va, which is connected to a 1.5KVa battery. It seems, when the previous 800Va battery died, the dealer came in with the 1.5KVa and fixed it. ....
HappyWheels, you'll have to get the numbers again. There is no such thing as a 800Va or a 1.5KVa battery.

If you are asking whether it is safe to use a much larger battery with any given inverter the answer is yes.
Charging circuits are not in danger of dying on you or going up in smoke!
Old 15th July 2010, 12:54   #353
Senior - BHPian

May I ask our team members that what configuration I need for my proposed inverter to run Computer 1,TV 1,Modem 1, Printer 1 Fans 2 and lights. 5
Old 15th July 2010, 13:17   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
May I ask our team members that what configuration I need for my proposed inverter to run Computer 1,TV 1,Modem 1, Printer 1 Fans 2 and lights. 5
It's not a question of WHAT you want to run, but HOW LONG you want to run them.
The lights better be CFLs; you'll use far less wattage than with incandescent lamps.
An 800VA, single battery system will do fine for your needs AND leave room for some growth.
You could opt for a battery capacity of 60, 80, 100 or 150 AH, depending on how much backup time you are looking for.
Old 15th July 2010, 14:18   #355
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
At my aunt's house, they have the Sukam Falcon inverter rated at 800Va, which is connected to a 1.5KVa battery. It seems, when the previous 800Va battery died, the dealer came in with the 1.5KVa and fixed it. They have this running without an issue for the last one month; only drawback, as expected, is the charging time is high.

So, the question is, even though using a low rated inverter to charge a higher charge battery is not right, is it a risk? I do not think this was the right thing to do and the dealer just wanted to finish the job, but then, what exactly are we looking at here?
Suresh, looks like you missed up the numbers!
I use a Sukam Falcon 800VA with a 135Ah battery. So, that should give you some perspective on the battery specs to be used.
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:56   #356
Senior - BHPian

Friends,

I have a query regarding the Inverter. I have a Microtek EB 850 VA inverter with SF Sonic battery 150 Ah installed at my place. There is major maintenance planned by MSEB in Thane in my area and there would be no supply for atleast 10 hrs min.

Would my inverter handle the loads for that long. By loads I mean atleast 2 fans and 2 lights. Would there be an indication on the inverter when the charge goes down below a specified limit, will there be any damage to the battery. Any after checks of battery I need to carry? Pls advise.
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:37   #357
BHPian

Ghodlur: 2 fans and 2 lights for 2 hours is a little bit difficult. But it all depend on the which light your are using and the condition of the battery and the electrolyte. If the battery is perfect, you will get about 8 to 10 hrs backup. I think Microtek EB has a battery voltage monitor, or something like that.

Is the maintenance at night or day. If it is day, you can do switch off the light for more backup.

There wont be any damage to battery. The inverter shuts itself down at 10.2 V. So the battery is not fully discharged.
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:49   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
Ghodlur: 2 fans and 2 lights for 2 hours is a little bit difficult. But it all depend on the which light your are using and the condition of the battery and the electrolyte. If the battery is perfect, you will get about 8 to 10 hrs backup. I think Microtek EB has a battery voltage monitor, or something like that.
I am using presently the CFL lights. Considering that I had got the battery installed recently say 2 months back should I safely assume that the battery would be in a state of giving back up for 10 hrs.

Is the maintenance at night or day. If it is day, you can do switch off the light for more backup.
The Maintenance is during the day, but considering the monsoons it gets pretty dark outside forcing you to use the lights mainly in kitchen area.

There wont be any damage to battery. The inverter shuts itself down at 10.2 V. So the battery is not fully discharged.
Thats good to know.

My comments in Bold.
Why dont the inverter manufacturers give a LCD/LED display of time left for the battery usage in % so that looking at the % one can switch off the inessential loads to increase the back up time.
Old 2nd August 2010, 15:03   #359
BHPian

But then it all depends on the battery efficiency, brand, model etc. The only way to know for sure is to check it. Even with new battery, some models have efficiency of just 85%

Providing LCD and LED displays increases the production cost. And it is not pretty accurate

With LED/LCD display a dead battery will show full charge and 100% backup (say for 2 hours), but as soon as the load is connected, it shows low battery. So, there is no point in providing those.
Old 20th August 2010, 16:05   #360
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Can someone please point me to good inverter & battery dealers in bangalore east (indiranagar, thippasandra, old madras road, banaswadi, kr puram, etc). Thanks!
Did you get a good dealer? Am looking at buying an inverter and got the following info on a quick read up( could be wrong)
Buying a sinewave inverter is better than the square wave. However the best brand apparently is APC and they currently do not have a sine wave model
Amaron battery is better than others, but even exide is great. I guess buying a tubular battery is recommended for sure?
Looking at a 800 VA model, current owners/experts please help

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks