Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2012, 18:16   #481
BHPian

Re: Inverter or generator?

Hi,

Can anyone point me to an APC or sukam dealer in noida. Preferably near sector 82. Thanks in advance.
Old 29th May 2012, 19:48   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
Hi,

Can anyone point me to an APC or sukam dealer in noida. Preferably near sector 82. Thanks in advance.
Google and Just Dial are two friends you should use regularly.

Inverter Dealers-SU Kam near Noida Sector 82, Delhi, India | Justdial

you can refine the search and match your nearest location.
Old 29th May 2012, 22:11   #483
BHPian

Thanks ghpk.. But that is the first thing i did. But since i could not get a specific search and since i am about 2000 km away, i could use some pointers in that location.
Old 30th May 2012, 07:07   #484
BHPian

Saw this Advt yesterday in The Hindu Hyderabad edition. Seems to be a good deal or should avoid it??

Inverter or generator?-img_0445.jpg
Old 22nd June 2012, 20:20   #485
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Guys,
Need your advice. For my home, I am considering either a 5KVa diesel genset (Birla / Mahindra Powerol) and both are being quoted in the range of 1.7 L landed. Out of these which will be better? Also, I came across Kohler Gensets in 5KVa - does anyone have any idea of their price?
The other option I am considering is to put a large 3.6 KVa / 5KVa inverter only to run 1 Ac of 1 Tonne rating. Are there any good models available and approx prices? I talked to a dealer and he said that the 3.6 KVa Su-kam inverter cannot run a 1 ton Ac whereas the website says that it can. I am totally confused.
Any advice / experiences are welcome!

I am literally swaying between a diesel generator (5-7.5 Kva) for the whole house or a 3.6-5 KVa inverter for just the AC.

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 22nd June 2012, 20:53   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Guys,
Need your advice. For my home, I am considering either a 5KVa diesel genset (Birla / Mahindra Powerol) and both are being quoted in the range of 1.7 L landed. Out of these which will be better? Also, I came across Kohler Gensets in 5KVa - does anyone have any idea of their price?
The other option I am considering is to put a large 3.6 KVa / 5KVa inverter only to run 1 Ac of 1 Tonne rating. Are there any good models available and approx prices? I talked to a dealer and he said that the 3.6 KVa Su-kam inverter cannot run a 1 ton Ac whereas the website says that it can. I am totally confused.

I am literally swaying between a diesel generator (5-7.5 Kva) for the whole house or a 3.6-5 KVa inverter for just the AC.

Regards,
Behemoth
SuKam is Authorized seller for Kohler generators:

Power Solutions :: Home Solutions :: Diesel-Generator-kohler :: Su-kam :: Ek nayi soch

You can contact them for Kohler 5 kVA/7.5 kVA gensets.

Cheers.
Old 22nd June 2012, 21:03   #487
Distinguished - BHPian

Sukam sell a very nifty little Kohler generator. The one I saw on Kohler's own stand at an engineering exhibition, last year, was quite small; the one I saw on Sukam's stand at a domestic shopping show, recently, was even smaller. The price was something under two lakh. Even auto operation was available.

The Kohler quality looked nice. To make a car analogy, it seemed like VW paintwork
Old 22nd June 2012, 22:09   #488
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks racingmachine and Thad, I have Heard about the kohler gensets and will try to get some details from them. They are supposed to be quite popular. Internationally. Lets hope the price is decent. I also found out about guardian gensets made by indaust and they are similar in design. A 7.5 kVA horizontal model comes for 2.2 l + tax. These are powered by Mitsubishi engines. I will share the details of all the gensets that I collect in the next few days.

Regards
Behemoth
Old 23rd June 2012, 16:32   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Guys,

Regards,
Behemoth
In the long run, Inverters tend to be more expensive, and in case of a long power outage or frequent short duration outages Inverter batteries give up. For larger loads Generators are more economical both to buy and to run.

Please note that in most of the generators the AMF panel and control electronics is quite expensive, and it is more or less common from 5KVA to 50+ KVA, hence the incremental cost of larger capacity generator is quite reasonable.

A 5KVA generator will give you 5KVA peak. A 1 ton reciprocation/rotary compressor based AC will require much more to start, hence the generator may not be able to run an AC. In case of an Inverter type AC, the starting current is controlled hence you may run an AC off the generator.

In my opinion, a robust 14 KVA, 3 phase generator is the best option for domestic power back up. A single AC installation is a rarity in today's scenario and two or more a norm, hence be prepared for larger loads in future. For those times when you do not have AC running install a 1KVA Inverter. In case the power outage is long enough to exhaust the batteries, use the generator to charge them.
Old 2nd July 2012, 17:17   #490
Senior - BHPian

There was 2 hour power cut today and inverter was powering 2-3 fans/Tube lights and a TV.

After power resumed the inverter started normal charging. After sometime say 45 minutes the inverter suddenly switched on but there was no power cut. I switched off the power button of inverter and normal power was resumed.

After 15-20 minutes there was little phat sound inside the inverter and it started charging the battery normally and everything is OK. There was no spark/smell etc?

Is that due to over heating? or something else? This has happened for the first time.

Inverter is 6 year old Luminous 800VA with3 year old 150AH Exide battery.

EDIT - happened again!

Last edited by bluevolt : 2nd July 2012 at 17:38.
Old 8th July 2012, 23:20   #491
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anybody know anything about this device?

Magnet-operated generator may light up TN Homes soon

... spotted in the New Indian Express
Old 9th July 2012, 07:36   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Does anybody know anything about this device?
Quote:
The generator differs from existing generators and invertors in the simple fact that there is no energy input required. Users would not have to charge the generator from their power lines, or feed it with diesel or petrol. This naturally means there would be no emissions of any sort.....

Finally, they have found the perpetual motion machine!
Energy output with zero input!
Old 9th July 2012, 07:46   #493
BHPian

I have a Sukam Brainy inverter for the last 8 years and it is doing well. Only had to change the Exide inva tubular battery last year. Also have a Honda genset but used very sparingly. The combo is ideal, i feel.
Old 9th July 2012, 09:08   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Here in my place @ Hyderabad, the power cuts are uninformed and lasts from a minute to hours. Considering to go in for a Inverter, which can light up 2-3 tubelights and run 2-3 fans. Which brand/model should I go for? Or, should I go for a Inverter/Generator?
Sorry this response is a few months late

We have a Microtek 1.4 KVA inverter powering half our home except ACs (considering we have two teenage boys). The inverter has been in operation since 2004 and has seen the service station only twice.

We run it on Exide batteries. They are out and out the best. In my opinion this combination is very hard to beat.

- Krishnan
Old 9th July 2012, 13:13   #495
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post

Finally, they have found the perpetual motion machine!
Energy output with zero input!
Well, it's big, green, and looks like it exists. Or might soon. Or maybe it is a big green empty box.

It looks like the idea has been around for a long time, and acknowledged as at least a theoretical possibility --- but then, so has the idea of strapping a piece of bread-and-jam to a cat's back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks