Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2012, 11:43   #496
BHPian

Re: Inverter or generator?

I'm exploring backup power for home and may soon buy a 1.5Kva unit. It looks like an Amaron inverter with two tubular Amaron 150AH batteries will cost around 36k.

Before I bite the bullet, I'm looking for information on Solar-based inverters as well.

How do these compare to the regular inverters, in terms of cost, capacity and performance? Any input on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
Old 9th September 2012, 14:35   #497
Senior - BHPian

It will be wonderful if we can buy one of these for our homes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom_Box
Old 10th September 2012, 21:09   #498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post
I'm exploring backup power for home and may soon buy a 1.5Kva unit. It looks like an Amaron inverter with two tubular Amaron 150AH batteries will cost around 36k.

Before I bite the bullet, I'm looking for information on Solar-based inverters as well.

How do these compare to the regular inverters, in terms of cost, capacity and performance? Any input on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
They are quite expensive, much more than the inverter.

http://www.solarinvertersindia.in/pr...-200watts.html
http://www.solarinvertersindia.in/pr...rinverter.html

and you need the batteries anyway
Old 10th September 2012, 22:15   #499
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy
They are quite expensive, much more than the inverter.

http://www.solarinvertersindia.in/pr...-200watts.html
http://www.solarinvertersindia.in/pr...rinverter.html

and you need the batteries anyway
Hi Airfoil
Better than this you can get a solar inverter combo unit from Sukam directly and it will be much better in technology and also will also have much better support network. Do see the product range from Sukam which they launched some time back.
The link to their product is :
http://www.su-kam.com/Power-Solution...CU-1KVA/206/59

and
http://www.su-kam.com/Power-Solution...UPS-Brainy/222

Regards
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 10th September 2012 at 22:23.
Old 13th October 2012, 15:58   #500
Senior - BHPian

What is the opinion on Su Kam brand with regards to after-sales service ? How is the product fit, finish & quality as compared to say an APC ?
Old 13th October 2012, 16:53   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker
What is the opinion on Su Kam brand with regards to after-sales service ? How is the product fit, finish & quality as compared to say an APC ?
I have been using microtek inverter for about 2 years now and find it working good apart from a couple of problems such as the fuse going off due to loading.

Repairs take place in 2 working days.
So far so good. Not sure about sukam but have heard they too are quite good with their products.
Old 13th October 2012, 18:06   #502
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the feedback, APC it seems doesn't have a fuse but uses a reset button on the CB. Which seems convenient because one doesn't need to fiddle around with the fuse. Does Sukam have this fuse as well ? I was looking at a 2.5 kva model from Sukam because APC really goofed up on the service ever since they change the local service provider. So looking out for model which has some local backup and service. How is the Sukam fusion series. Does anybody have experience with this model.

Last edited by lurker : 13th October 2012 at 18:08.
Old 30th October 2012, 09:56   #503
BHPian

4 hours power cut is driving me crazy. Decided to go for a Inverter. Need to suffice 2 tube lights, 2 fans, modem, wifi router. Which brand, KVA, type of battery. It would be much helpful, if I get the dealer details in Hyderabad/Secunderabad too.
Old 30th October 2012, 11:48   #504
Senior - BHPian

My two bits.
I have been living in a rented house and the owner has already got a Microtek UPS (or is that an inverter?) supported by a 100 AH battery.
http://microtekdirect.com/upse2_625va.php
This is sufficient for our requirement. We don't have too many power cuts out here. The inverter/ UPS can power a couple of lights and fans for a few hours (at least). We never used it beyond that limit since the need was never felt. I don't know why others need 5-7 KVA, but perhaps they face bigger power cuts.

The service from the Microtek franchise is OK. We need to follow up several times before someone comes up to top up distilled water which is needed every 3-4 months.
The last time the guy came, he spilled water all over the place on the battery.
The charge for a fill up is Rs. 200-300 (depending on your negotiation skills).

Once the UPS stopped working and we got the part replacement within warranty.
A few months ago the UPS did not switch over to the mains power even after it returned back. This happened a few times. The technician could not find any fault as such.

The bad part about this setup is the fans make a lot of noise while on UPS mode. I also suspect that the fans are getting damaged due to the low quality output from the UPS, since all our fans have started making noise over the last 6-8 months. The tubelights also make a humming/ buzzing noise, but that is livable.

What is the experience of others with respect to the fan/ light noise?

Now, I have to shift our residence and may need to buy a similar unit at the new place which does not have an inverter.
What is the budget I need for an equivalent setup? I am guessing 10-12K should be enough. This time, I will try something other than Microtek.
Old 30th October 2012, 11:54   #505
BANNED

I have both an inverter (Sumak 1400VA with Amaron 180AH batteries) and an Usha DG Set (7.5kVA). Of late we seldom require the DG set. We may curse but Kanpur power has improved. The DG is used specifically for the Tubewell and some minor Kitchen work when there is no power and the job has to be done.

I find the Inverter vary good but do have a small issue. While my earlier Luminous had a MCB the current one has a fuse. So replacing a fuse is more painful than just switching On the MCB, after fixing the source of the tripping.
Old 30th October 2012, 19:58   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
The bad part about this setup is the fans make a lot of noise while on UPS mode. I also suspect that the fans are getting damaged due to the low quality output from the UPS, since all our fans have started making noise over the last 6-8 months. The tubelights also make a humming/ buzzing noise, but that is livable.

What is the experience of others with respect to the fan/ light noise?
I suspect the noise is coz of the type of your inverter. You would be using a square wave inverter. We have a sine wave inverter and we have not experienced any of these issues.

I would suggest you to go for a pure sine wave inverter at your new place. We have been using sukam smiley 1400VA for almost 6+ years without any issues.
Old 30th October 2012, 20:18   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I suspect the noise is coz of the type of your inverter. You would be using a square wave inverter. We have a sine wave inverter and we have not experienced any of these issues.

I would suggest you to go for a pure sine wave inverter at your new place. We have been using sukam smiley 1400VA for almost 6+ years without any issues.
I have a trapezoidal wave form type inverter. I have heard that sine wave inverters are not efficient and expensive too.
Old 1st November 2012, 17:13   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I have a trapezoidal wave form type inverter. I have heard that sine wave inverters are not efficient and expensive too.
That information was from years before...now you wont find much square wave inverter in the market. They are efficient, everyone have changed to sine wave. Ya they are a little bit costly than their counterpart.
Old 1st November 2012, 23:05   #509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
That information was from years before...now you wont find much square wave inverter in the market. They are efficient, everyone have changed to sine wave. Ya they are a little bit costly than their counterpart.
Please provide some model numbers and pricing information in the 650 VA range.
Old 3rd November 2012, 01:35   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N

Please provide some model numbers and pricing information in the 650 VA range.
I know the 850va APC sine wave costs 6k in chennai and a 150ah tubular Exide approximately 13k

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks