Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2013, 11:03   #601
BHPian

Re: Inverter or generator?

Any reviews on V-Guard invertor/UPS and batteries? I am not getting anything other than them in Trivandrum now. Su-Kam has no dealers in kerala and also only one service center in Cochin. APC does not have any UPS >1 KVA with pure sine. So I am basically stuck with V-Guard. Microtec , are they good?
Old 10th May 2013, 11:15   #602
Senior - BHPian

As a resident of tamilnadu, I have realised what is ideal is a combination of both (On finances permitting of course).
I have a 1500VA from V guard which I used for a while, (not really very happy with it) which I moved to another location. I now use a 1500 VA Zenelec UPS which is actually assembled but is a top quality product. It has already given me 2 trouble free years of service and the charging amperage has been increased to handle the two 150 AH batteries and the length of the powercuts.
I also have a 15KVA Leyland generator that I use at nights or when we need to operate the washing machine, geyser, etc. (during the day).
Here in Tamilnadu we need this keeping in mind the severity of powercuts (upto 8 hours a day)
One must realise that to recharge a battery from the fully discharged state to a fully charged state will take over 10 hours and hence use of power and extent of powercuts must decide capacity of battery.

Last edited by jyobeb : 10th May 2013 at 11:21.
Old 10th May 2013, 12:55   #603
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
Any reviews on V-Guard invertor/UPS and batteries? I am not getting anything other than them in Trivandrum now. Su-Kam has no dealers in kerala and also only one service center in Cochin. APC does not have any UPS >1 KVA with pure sine. So I am basically stuck with V-Guard. Microtec , are they good?
Go ahead with V-Guard. Don't know about Microtek.

Are you sure that APC is not having > 1 KVA(pure-sinewave) ?
Old 11th May 2013, 20:48   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Go ahead with V-Guard. Don't know about Microtek.

Are you sure that APC is not having > 1 KVA(pure-sinewave) ?
Thanks. APC had one, but no longer in production. News from this forum itself. I have send them a request for a quote and details 2 days back. No reply yet. Do you have a vguard?
Old 12th May 2013, 08:47   #605
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
Thanks. APC had one, but no longer in production. News from this forum itself. I have send them a request for a quote and details 2 days back. No reply yet. Do you have a vguard?
I'm not using an inverter now because most of them are not sinewave and non sinewave inverters cause damage to computers and other electronic gadgets.

Better be safe than sorry!
Old 7th August 2013, 14:16   #606
Senior - BHPian

What minimum VA inverter and Ah battery should I be looking at if I want 5-6 hours backup for 1 TV, 2 ceiling fans and 3-4 tubelights. Would 850 VA with one 150 Ah battery suffice?
Old 7th August 2013, 15:23   #607
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
What minimum VA inverter and Ah battery should I be looking at if I want 5-6 hours backup for 1 TV, 2 ceiling fans and 3-4 tubelights. Would 850 VA with one 150 Ah battery suffice?
Depends on the make model of the tv.If its a 29" CRT or a 42" to 50" Plasma tv then it won't be enough.
Old 7th August 2013, 17:59   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Depends on the make model of the tv.If its a 29" CRT or a 42" to 50" Plasma tv then it won't be enough.
Its a 21" LCD but I'd be getting a 40"+ LED in some time. It'd make sense to factor in the load as per 40" LED, what would you suggest now?
Old 7th August 2013, 23:09   #609
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

With a 40" LED you should get 6hrs max backup with all the above switched ON,(assuming those tube lights have a electronic ballast).
Old 18th August 2013, 15:52   #610
BHPian

Folks, in Chennai, there are now no power cuts ever. I have 2 inverters at home, both APC and 850va each I think. Was so wondering if it is worthwhile keeping them connected and wasting power in charging/discharging or if this usage is minimal?
Old 18th August 2013, 20:58   #611
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
in Chennai, there are now no power cuts ever.

Oh yes there are!

But the scheduled daily load shedding seems to be, for now, a thing of the past. Remains to be seen if we will get the monthly 9-5 "maintenance" cut.

So, only much-shorter-duration cuts, when something goes wrong
Old 19th August 2013, 00:53   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Oh yes there are!

But the scheduled daily load shedding seems to be, for now, a thing of the past. Remains to be seen if we will get the monthly 9-5 "maintenance" cut.

So, only much-shorter-duration cuts, when something goes wrong
Crazy experience today, posted this query and 2 hours later power cut for about 10 mins... Not happened past 2-3 months in my area..
Old 21st August 2013, 09:26   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Folks, in Chennai, there are now no power cuts ever. I have 2 inverters at home, both APC and 850va each I think. Was so wondering if it is worthwhile keeping them connected and wasting power in charging/discharging or if this usage is minimal?

If you dont charge the battery, it will get damaged, it wont take much current for charging if you are not discharging. DOnt know when u will need it. So better keep it connected.
Old 15th September 2013, 20:28   #614
BHPian

Planning to buy 30kva diesel generator for our office. is it better to buy crdi engine or naturally aspirated engine. the only company selling crdi engine is cooper is it a good company or kirlosker green is safe bet kindly give feedback. Thanks in advaance
Old 15th September 2013, 21:16   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rags View Post
Planning to buy 30kva diesel generator for our office. is it better to buy crdi engine or naturally aspirated engine. the only company selling crdi engine is cooper is it a good company or kirlosker green is safe bet kindly give feedback. Thanks in advaance
Most of the diesel generator sellers are system integrators rather than manufacturers of all components. Some make engines, while others make the generators them selves.
For base load applications like generators lower speed engines are more fuel efficient, so I do not think that crdi will offer any advantage. Still check the following for all the generators you are considering :
. fuel consumption figures at full 3/4 and 1/2 load
. lubricant consumption per hour of use
. cost and interval of servicing based on 100/200/500 hours of usage
. hours between overhauls (major and minor) and their cost

Then chart up the costs of ownership based on the number of hours you will use per year. You will be surprised that some of the more expensive sets have a lower cost of ownership over a five year period.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks