Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2013, 09:35   #616
BHPian

Re: Inverter or generator?

3 hours load shedding started again in Hyderabad. I am now in dire need of getting a Inverter.
Couple of questions..
1. Is Su-Kam available in Hyderabad. Their website dealer details mentions "coming soon"
2. Looking for Sine-Wave and Tubular batteries of 850VA
3. Any reliable brands?
4. Should I stick to the package or go for separate inverter and batteries? Which is cost effective?
5. Any reliable shops in Hyderabad?

Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd October 2013, 09:43   #617
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
3 hours load shedding started again in Hyderabad. I am now in dire need of getting a Inverter.
Couple of questions..
1. Is Su-Kam available in Hyderabad. Their website dealer details mentions "coming soon"
2. Looking for Sine-Wave and Tubular batteries of 850VA
3. Any reliable brands?
4. Should I stick to the package or go for separate inverter and batteries? Which is cost effective?
5. Any reliable shops in Hyderabad?

Thanks in advance.

I would recommend APC Sine wave inverter - 1KV should be sufficient. I am using it for past 4.5 years and its been no problem at all.

Check the combined price and individual price . Go for which ever is cheap
Old 23rd October 2013, 09:46   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I would recommend APC Sine wave inverter - 1KV should be sufficient. I am using it for past 4.5 years and its been no problem at all.

Check the combined price and individual price . Go for which ever is cheap
I am planning to operate 3 Fans/Lights and a Mixer, still need 1KV?
For my above need, what should be the inverter and battery capacity. Like 850VA Inverter and 150Ah Battery would do ?
Old 23rd October 2013, 10:15   #619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For my above need, what should be the inverter and battery capacity. Like 850VA Inverter and 150Ah Battery would do ?
Here the limiting factor is the mixer . what is the drawing power of mixer motor? At least when you run the mixer you may have to switch off all the lights and fans if the inverter starts to trip .

We run mixer too on our 1kv inverter. So 1kv inverter plus 150 Ah battery should be sufficient for your needs
Old 23rd October 2013, 10:17   #620
BHPian

Quote:
The Inverter VA depends on your consumption. If you have a 800watt mixer then 850VA will suffice, provided you don't turn On the lights. Most modern inverters are designed to take additional load for a few seconds before they cut off power, so a little extra load shouldn't be a problem.

The AH for the battery is like fuel tank capacity. The more the AH, the longer you have your backup. This depends on the power cut duration that you anticipate.

I would rather go for a 115 AH tall tubular battery than go for a 150 AH regular battery. Exide would be my choice.

Do look into batterybhai.com for prices. I have good experience with their service. It will help you negotiate better with your local dealer as well.
Old 23rd October 2013, 10:50   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Here the limiting factor is the mixer . what is the drawing power of mixer motor? At least when you run the mixer you may have to switch off all the lights and fans if the inverter starts to trip .

We run mixer too on our 1kv inverter. So 1kv inverter plus 150 Ah battery should be sufficient for your needs
My mixer is 600W. How much did the whole setup cost you? Can you specify the model numbers of the inverter and batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
The Inverter VA depends on your consumption. If you have a 800watt mixer then 850VA will suffice, provided you don't turn On the lights. Most modern inverters are designed to take additional load for a few seconds before they cut off power, so a little extra load shouldn't be a problem.

The AH for the battery is like fuel tank capacity. The more the AH, the longer you have your backup. This depends on the power cut duration that you anticipate.

I would rather go for a 115 AH tall tubular battery than go for a 150 AH regular battery. Exide would be my choice.

Do look into batterybhai.com for prices. I have good experience with their service. It will help you negotiate better with your local dealer as well.
I will look in the site you have mentioned. My choice is also the tubular one, but not sure on the brand, Amaron/Exide et al.

As suggested by Sagar, will check the package and individuals and then conclude my research to decide.

Checked in APC website, not sure which product is the pure sine wave inverter, everything is mentioned as a UPS
Old 23rd October 2013, 11:17   #622
BHPian

Quote:
I will look in the site you have mentioned. My choice is also the tubular one, but not sure on the brand, Amaron/Exide et al.
I've had bad experience with Amaron. Guess they are only good in automotive space. I lost my batteries within 2 years and warranty reimbursement for exchange was really bad.

Quote:
Checked in APC website, not sure which product is the pure sine wave inverter, everything is mentioned as a UPS
There is a thin line between UPS and Inverter. It is the time taken to switch over from mains to battery.

My APC with Internal battery sometimes turns off my projector even if it has to bear the load for less than 2 seconds, before the backup power is available from home Inverter. My projector is sensitive to power fluctuation.

I doubt the external battery ones can come close.
Old 23rd October 2013, 17:12   #623
BHPian

Quote:
I've had bad experience with Amaron. Guess they are only good in automotive space. I lost my batteries within 2 years and warranty reimbursement for exchange was really bad.
There is a thin line between UPS and Inverter. It is the time taken to switch over from mains to battery.
I will stick with Exide then. Any other good battery brands I can scout for?

I will also speak with a dealer and lets see how much he has to quote and suggest which model to take.
Old 23rd October 2013, 18:22   #624
BHPian

Quote:
I will stick with Exide then. Any other good battery brands I can scout for?

I will also speak with a dealer and lets see how much he has to quote and suggest which model to take.
I don't think anyone has better reviews than Exide, they cost more though.

SF batteries even though manufactured by Exide are poor quality.

I'll totally avoid local makes. Their life is similar to branded ones, but you will need frequent top ups after few months.

If you are scouting for other makes, keep an eye on AH and replacement warranty period. From total warranty I'd ignore the reimbursement part in last few months.
A 150AH battery is 1.5 times a 100AH battery. So cost will go up exponentially.

Last edited by HillMan : 23rd October 2013 at 18:28.
Old 23rd October 2013, 20:11   #625
BHPian

Quote:
A 150AH battery is 1.5 times a 100AH battery. So cost will go up exponentially.
How much would be the backup for both 150 and 100AH. As of now there is a scheduled 3 hours power cut, which is split into 2.
But now rains have started and there are intermittent power cuts too. Do not want to spend less and be power less with no backup in the battery, rather can pay more and have peace of mind.
Old 23rd October 2013, 21:59   #626
BHPian

Quote:
How much would be the backup for both 150 and 100AH. As of now there is a scheduled 3 hours power cut, which is split into 2. But now rains have started and there are intermittent power cuts too. Do not want to spend less and be power less with no backup in the battery, rather can pay more and have peace of mind.
Definitely go with 150ah and tubular if possible. Life is better and so is the warranty. I have a 150ah tubular and a 100ah regular. Both have been running great. I get maybe 2 -3 hrs on the 100ah and 4-6 hrs on the 150 but depends on what you use it for...
Old 23rd October 2013, 22:00   #627
BHPian

Quote:
How much would be the backup for both 150 and 100AH. As of now there is a scheduled 3 hours power cut, which is split into 2.
But now rains have started and there are intermittent power cuts too. Do not want to spend less and be power less with no backup in the battery, rather can pay more and have peace of mind.
At full capacity you might get roughly 3hr backup with 2 x 150AH batteries. For your needs, 100AH should suffice.

Go for Exide Inva Red 350 Plus (100AH)

Inva Tubular IT 400 (110AH) will be advantageous in case of frequent long power cuts. Which you are lucky not to have

Refer:
Load chart from Su-Kam:
http://www.su-kam.com/Power-Solution...ic-Digital-UPS

This should be a good read for capacity planning:
http://www.electroschematics.com/573...up-some-facts/

Last edited by HillMan : 23rd October 2013 at 22:02.
Old 7th November 2013, 09:00   #628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At full
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Definitely go with 150ah.
Quote:
How much.
Hello guys,

I wanted to buy a 25kva generator for my office, was contemplating between water cooled and air cooled models.

Water cooled (radiator, coolent etc)-kirlosker green, kirlosker bliss, mahindra, ashok leyland
Aircooled (no radiator nor coolent)-kirlosker green, eicher (pinnacle)

Please add to the list if I missed any.

Few questions between air and water cooled.
1.low maintenance in terms of diesel consumption.
2.longer engine life.
3.troubles with engines
4.3 cylinder better of 4 cylinder
5.service interval s.

help me with my decision
Old 7th November 2013, 10:27   #629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Hello guys,

I wanted to buy a 25kva generator for my office, was contemplating between water cooled and air cooled models.

Water cooled (radiator, coolent etc)-kirlosker green, kirlosker bliss, mahindra, ashok leyland
Aircooled (no radiator nor coolent)-kirlosker green, eicher (pinnacle)

Please add to the list if I missed any.

Few questions between air and water cooled.
1.low maintenance in terms of diesel consumption.
2.longer engine life.
3.troubles with engines
4.3 cylinder better of 4 cylinder
5.service interval s.

help me with my decision
. Water cooled is a better proposition especially during Indian summers.
. Four cylinder engines will run smoother and have a longer life.
. Low maintenance and long engine life translate to higher capital cost. Please make a spread sheet containing the following information gleaned from their respective literature
- Generator Capital cost including AMF panel, acoustic enclosure and accessories
- Fuel consumption at 100%, 75% and 50% load
- Oil consumption per 100 hours of use and cost
- Oil change intervals and cost
- Service Intervals and cost
- Engine minor repair interval and cost
- Engine major overhaul interval and cost

Once you have the spreadsheet in place you will be able to have a fair idea of the running costs of the generator. Now it is upto you to balance between the Capital and Running costs.

In general for high load factor, that is generator running for at least 25% of the time the higher capital cost is offset by lower running cost. On the other hand if the generator will be used occasionally, say once a month then higher capital costs may not offset higher running cost.
Old 7th November 2013, 11:09   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
help me with my decision
Don't have much experience with generators as I use invertor for home. A generator installed on one of my apartment has a Kirloskar, and it has been running with minimum maintenance from association (no AMC) for last 5 years. Also I see most generators in our area to have Kirloskar, so I believe they are pretty reliable and low maintenance.

I agree with #Aroy. Some good points on his post.

Last edited by HillMan : 7th November 2013 at 11:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks