Team-BHP - Inverter or generator?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Inverter or generator? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/22903-inverter-generator-6.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirAlec (Post 1179522)
Fridge will definitely trip the inverter because inverter has switching delay time even more than that of lineinteractive ups forget online UPS. In simple words even if the fridge is running (compressor on) and power goes off, it will cut in the compressor before it switches to inverter

So fridge is a definite no unless you have huge 3kva inverter with room full of battery.

I have a 320 litre fridge. The Invertor guy had come & measured the fridge
startup load at using some devices. As per him a 3 KVA isn't neccessary.
He said even a 1.4 KVA would just about make it, but higher would be
better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anupmathur (Post 1179572)
Kalpesh, a fridge cuts off many more times a day than that! That is not a reason to worry.

Oh - I never knew that. So its just like an AC - the thermostat kicks in and cuts the compressor off when it hits a particular temp!

(extreme n00b icon here)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalpeshc (Post 1179578)
Oh - I never knew that. So its just like an AC - the thermostat kicks in and cuts the compressor off when it hits a particular temp!

(extreme n00b icon here)

LOL! Yes, that's strange! Nobody asked for such an icon yet!
You seem to be more humble than most!

You got it right first shot. The fridge cut-off works just like the AC cut-off!

But, are you aware that the new generation ACs do not cut off?! :Shockked:

They control their capacity and rpm! Saves a lot of power!

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 1179573)
I have a 320 litre fridge. The Invertor guy had come & measured the fridge
startup load at using some devices. As per him a 3 KVA isn't neccessary.
He said even a 1.4 KVA would just about make it, but higher would be
better.

My 1.4kVA inverter has no problems with a 360L fridge. However, I generally prefer to disconnect the fridge and connect it to the inverter only if there is a 4h+ cut.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopalnayak (Post 1180162)
My 1.4kVA inverter has no problems with a 360L fridge. However, I generally prefer to disconnect the fridge and connect it to the inverter only if there is a 4h+ cut.

This seems like a very conservatively rated inverter! When such products exist in the market, you should post the brand name here so that others can avail of the benefit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anupmathur (Post 1179787)
But, are you aware that the new generation ACs do not cut off?! :Shockked:

They control their capacity and rpm! Saves a lot of power!

[OT]
So how does compressor being shut down periodically be better than some which does not! The only logical explanation to me would be it drawing increased power during it's start up routines. Do you know any ACs that have this feature?
[/OT]

Quote:

Originally Posted by anupmathur (Post 1180349)
This seems like a very conservatively rated inverter! When such products exist in the market, you should post the brand name here so that others can avail of the benefit.

Why should this be a Brand specific thing? I think all 1.4 KVA invertors
would work as long as there isn't much other load.

The guy from Sukam had measured my fridge startup load & said that a
1.4 invertor would be able to take the load - though finally I went with
a 800 VA from Microtek.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 1180435)
Why should this be a Brand specific thing? I think all 1.4 KVA invertors would work as long as there isn't much other load.

That's like saying all 1.5 ltr car engines will perform the same!

There is a lot of good design and intent that go into making a fine product.
The feature we're looking at here is the ability to handle a peak load or surge. It is not the same for all inverters by a long shot!
The quality of the enamelled copper wire, the stampings, the quality of relays or switchgear would all go towards enhancing this feature; all of it adding to costs.
You really have to see a 'cheap' inverter to appreciate products like Sukam, Microtek, Luminous etc... :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 1180435)
I went with a 800 VA from Microtek.

Carboy, how much did you purchase this for, and how recent was the purchase? My dad bought one of the same rating from Microtek in Kerala for Rs.18,000/-, so just wanted to know if he was taken for a ride with the price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalpeshc (Post 1180423)
[OT]
So how does compressor being shut down periodically be better than some which does not! The only logical explanation to me would be it drawing increased power during it's start up routines. Do you know any ACs that have this feature?
[/OT]

:OT Take a look here: What is Daikin Inverter Technology and Inverter Flat Panel Air Conditioners

Quote:

Originally Posted by anupmathur (Post 1180579)
That's like saying all 1.5 ltr car engines will perform the same!
== snip stuff I agree with ==

No - it's not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 1180604)
Carboy, how much did you purchase this for, and how recent was the purchase? My dad bought one of the same rating from Microtek in Kerala for Rs.18,000/-, so just wanted to know if he was taken for a ride with the price.

Did the price include the batteries? If yes, what capacity battery?

It's been more than a year since I got it, but I think I paid something
around that price for 800 VA invertor, Batteries (120A if I recall correctly),
stand & installation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 1180908)
Did the price include the batteries? If yes, what capacity battery?

It's been more than a year since I got it, but I think I paid something
around that price for 800 VA invertor, Batteries (120A if I recall correctly),stand & installation.

Yup, it was an all-inclusive price. Dont remember the battery rating, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 1180908)
No - it's not.
Batteries (120A if I recall correctly),

Carboy, == snip stuff I agree with ==, LOL!

Battery ratings are in AH not 'A'! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by anupmathur (Post 1180349)

Luminous Sinewave Inverter.

My friend runs a 190L fridge on APC 800VA inverter. It works pretty well. The only time it has issues is when you have kept the fridge off for a long time and try to start off the inverter directly.

^^^^ did we say that in Русский (russian) previously??