Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2009, 19:40   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
I think you need to double check this with your inverter guy. A ceiling fan will draw a current of 80W and you need to add another 25W for the regulator. So take into account 100-125 Watts at the least for your fan.
Similarly, the consumption taken for a tubelight is also wrong. The fitting consumes much more than 40 watts. There are losses in the choke. It really heats up!
Old 6th March 2009, 00:52   #107
BHPian

I assumed Rocky would have electronic chokes Now that has a funny ring to it.........an inverter not able to do it's job would have electronic choke too !!
Old 6th March 2009, 10:22   #108
BHPian

Thanks Anup, Trrk and WasavaTyres for the inputs.
Can you please provide some inputs on the actual power consumption for Fan and the Tube.

Trrk, wouldnt the time taken for switchover (or take-over by invertor) anyway power-off the television? How does the 500VA manage that.

I dont wanna end up spending for 1.4KVA and 2 batteries, unless I need to. Looks like i have to recalculate everything again.

Thanks.
Old 9th March 2009, 15:29   #109
BHPian

Have finally settled for a 800VA sinewave from Su-Kam, mated with a 135AH Exide Battery (Tub), costed me 16K including installation.

Observations so far:
1) When there is no power and with two TubeLights, one fan running; if I switch on the TV, the Invertor goes into Overload mode.
Its a 29" CRT Samsung with 160W rating. Not sure if the draw/boot-up power is too much for my invertor config.

2) I keep hearing a slight buzz from the invertor (not the fan), even though my Wife and the installers cannot hear.

3) After installation and usage of about 2 hours (1 hr power cut and 1 hr for testing), I saw the invertor in 'Charging' mode this morning. I used the TV for about 45 mins and 1 TL, 1 CFL during the power outage.

Thanks for all Your inputs.
Rocky.
Old 9th March 2009, 16:37   #110
Senior - BHPian

http://www.amararaja.co.in/digitalinverters.html: pure sine wave one's at 14k! Can this be true?
Old 9th March 2009, 16:54   #111
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Observations so far:
1) When there is no power and with two TubeLights, one fan running; if I switch on the TV, the Invertor goes into Overload mode.
Its a 29" CRT Samsung with 160W rating. Not sure if the draw/boot-up power is too much for my invertor config.
I have 2 29inch Samsung / Philips TVs connected to 2 different 500VA inverters. The TVs eventually start in the battery mode with a little effort but only after going into overload mode and recovery. One does it automatically, the other needs manual switching off and on.

Both of them have no problems at all if the power goes off when the TV is already on with / without other equipments on at the same time.

This is the only 'overload' situation that I face as the wiring is separate for the inverter.
Old 13th March 2009, 15:14   #112
Senior - BHPian

I am getting following deal on inverter & Battery.

Sukam Smiley 1.4kva inverter (2yr warrenty) Rs. 8000
Exide EL6+ 130AH battery Rs. 14300 x 2

Do you think this deal is good or there are better prices which can be negotiated?
Old 16th March 2009, 10:09   #113
Senior - BHPian

I closed the above deal at
Sukam Smiley 1.4kva inverter (2yr warranty) Rs. 8000
Exide 6EL130+ 130AH battery (5 yr warranty) Rs. 14000 x 2

Incl installation and 5yr servicing of batteries.

Last edited by ST7677 : 16th March 2009 at 10:10.
Old 17th March 2009, 12:37   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
http://www.amararaja.co.in/digitalinverters.html: pure sine wave one's at 14k! Can this be true?
I got their pure 800Va [2 yrs warranty] + 160 Ah battery [18 months warranty ] with Battery stand for ~ 16K

Amaran has two inverter brands Xenon & Power zone. I think only the badging is different, the internals, form factors & MRP are are the same.
Old 1st April 2009, 21:48   #115
Senior - BHPian

I have booked for APC HI 800 SQBT model and waiting for the installation tomorow. The discounted quote is Rs.15600/- including the battery and plastic cabinet. Hope this deal is good enough. My purpose will be backing up around 6 CFLs (20 watts each) and maximum 3 ceiling fans. Computer has a seperate APC UPS (Back UPS RS 1500) with extra battery pack which runs 3 hours, since 1 year. First I was considering 1000 VA model, but came to realise the extra cost and the space taken in the house, and decided for 800 VA. Now waiting to check and see how many hours back up I get with different combinations like 1) Plasma TV, 2) 1 Fan + 1 CFL, 3) 3 CFLS + 1 Fan etc.
Inverter or generator?-hi800sqbt.jpg

Last edited by shajufx : 1st April 2009 at 21:52.
Old 1st April 2009, 22:20   #116
Senior - BHPian

Shajufx,

hold your purchase.

I currently use that particular model you are speaking about, and two significant flaws which I find and what can't be overlooked are as follows.

1. the 800va model is not Sine-Wave unlike the 1000va model. this was not intimated to me through the brochures or salesperson. Sine-wave is far healthier for televisions and electronic appliances. Also there is no buzzing sound in fans and motors as in the 800 va cheaper model which is square wave.

2. secondly the 1000va model has two batteries instead of one and both have apc support. And thus the higher price. Two batteries will last you far better and far efficiently than a single 120 AH battery in a 7-8 hr power cut.

the huge difference in price in the two models is due to the batteries only. And possibly that 1000va model comes with tubular batteries which last far far more than the basic types that come with 800 va model.
Old 2nd April 2009, 13:14   #117
Senior - BHPian

Hi lurker,
thanks for the tip. I considered and cross checked various models of Su-kam and APC and consulted my society members who are using different brands ranging from 600VA to 1400VA. Infact, I dont plan to use any electronic gadgets on an invertor, although I mentioned about the back up time testing in the above post. My sole purpose will be maximum 6 CFLs (20 watts each) and 2 to 3 ceiling fans, sometimes 1 or 2 exhausts too. Thats my peak usage in the night on an invertor. If its day time, it would be 3 ceiling fans. My neighbour is using a 600VA 5 year old local brand on a 120 AH tubular battery and gets over 4 hours back up on a restricted usage. Day time power failure hardly affects, but night time its mainly the ceiling fans and the good knight machines that has to run by any chance. So, saving 10k makes sense.

With the 800VA I mentioned above, I should be getting 2 hours back up on a 100% load usage, 5 hours on a 50% usage. Our power failure on an average does not last over 2 hours. So, spenting almost 10k extra for the 1000VA does not make sense to me. Thats the only reason I prefered 800VA. Comparing the cost of Su-kam and APC, although basic pricing comes closer, APC gives me a complete package including the cabinet and free installation within 3 meters. Su-kam will overshoot the APC bill on the customized enclosure which I have to make and the installation cost.

I have been exposed to various products of APC since 2001, and I never had any major issues with them so far. Whenever there was a support required, it was attended within 12 hours flat. So, what more can I ask for ?
Old 2nd April 2009, 19:44   #118
BHPian

@ Shajufx: I think you have made the right choice. Don't forget to get connections to a few extra plug points and your washrooms / toilets.
Old 2nd April 2009, 19:56   #119
Senior - BHPian

My APC is installed and working fine. I checked 2 CFLs (20 watts each), Plasma 42" and 1 ceiling FAN, it flicks between 50% to 75%, means its close to 75% load which eventually lasts 3 hours or more on a full charge ( 100% = 2.30 hours, 50% = 5 hours and 25% = 11 hours ). I have noticed the buzzing noise level from the ceiling FAN which is reduced at higher speeds. Somewhere we have to compromise, so you get buzzing noise from the fans for a saving of 10k (APC uses Prestolite 120 AH battery with Squarewave type output wave form)!!

Overall I am happy with the choice, it serves my purpose within the budget. Installers rechecked the 5 AMP and 15 AMP grouping in the circuit breaker box (wall box of the house), and connected only the light and fans that are in the 5 AMP category, leaving the Fridge, Bathroom Heaters, Washing Machine, Microwave Oven, PC and AC outlets. It includes all the lights in the house including bathroom (19 CFLs = 255 watts), all FANs (4), exhaust fans (3) etc. This unit has an "AWAY" button which keeps it OFF while you are out of station for days. Its also used when electric iron, mixer grinder or anything of that sort is used on a 5 AMP plug point.
Inverter or generator?-apc.jpg

Last edited by shajufx : 2nd April 2009 at 20:06.
Old 3rd April 2009, 15:37   #120
A.R
BHPian

I am planning to get an invertor for my home in BLR. It's a flat with generator backup. I plan to run a Plasma TV, CFls (3-4), Fans (3) & some kitchen appliances (mixer grinder, Microwave etc occasionally). Currently we have a switch on the switch board to use Gen power. Now the problem is Gen backup is only between 6 pm to 12 midnight & power cuts are can happen anytime!

I hope an invertor can be installed with the current Genbackup in place. I mean I should be able to use power from Gen when its on & later switch to Invertor when needed (automatically possible?)

@shajufx, your APC one looks neat! What sort of wiring is done to the switch board & other places if any? I hope its nothing ugly 'coz I remember someone installing an invertor at our home in MYS about 10 - 12 yrs ago with bad wiring done on the wall & a huge battery box (lorry types)

Thanks, AR

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks