Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2009, 00:54   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't know about the instructions, but I do know that complete discharge is very bad and possibly fatal for lead-acid batteries, so don't try it!
Old 1st August 2009, 15:30   #182
Team-BHP Support

Finally its SuKam

After a long period of dilly dallying and looking around on which inverter to buy, i finally decided and bought a SuKam Falcon 800VA. The battery i opted for is a SF Sonic Power Box 135Ah.

This being a pure sine wave inverter, i am able to run my PC off it on UPS mode. This is despite the PC already being connected to a Microtek UPS.

Currently, the connection has been given directly from the mains without isolating any of the connections. As a result, i leave the inverter in switched off mode, and when there is a power failure, we switch off the refrigerator and then turn on the inverter. I guess we can live with that, since we are staying in a rented house.

The combo along with the casing was given to me at Rs.16,000/-.
Old 24th November 2009, 20:19   #183

Hi guys!!!
I have been spending quite some time going round in circles. I really need the forum members advise on this one.
I wish to run 3 pcs, 1 printer (laser) though it isnt a necessity, 3 wall fans and 3 CFL tubes. what kind of inverter/UPS should I go for. I was hoping for a back up of about 2 hours.

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 24th November 2009, 22:19   #184
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Rishab,

Its clear now and has nothing to do with the way the invertor is connected.

As Prowler said.
I guess Your electrician has wired Your house (at construction) as - 15A circuit only for fridge and rest power plugs on the 5A circuit. If so, you would have to change this immediately. Though iron boxes/mixies can run on 5A circuit, its a huge load on the circuits and a disaster for the invertor.

Changing all the power plugs from 5A to 15A, depends upon your house wiring. I am sure its easy to route a 15A wire from the nearest circuit board for all the power plugs. Atleast in the kitchen, where the Fridge and mixie circuits are near (hopefully).

I had my house in a similar stage and though the electrician claimed its impossible, he did it after I gave him some peaceful words.
Replying to an old post - my fridge (320 L) runs fine on the 5A point.
Even my mixie runs fine on the 5A point.

And both the mixie & the fridge have 5A plugs, so I guess they were supposed to be connected to 5A point!

My dryer, my geyser, my microwave & my drip coffee maker use the 15 A points.

My fridge is not on the inverter circuit because the fridge uses a huge amount of power when the compressor starts - that could trip the invertor.
Old 25th November 2009, 15:35   #185
BHPian

Videocon Ecotech 825 invertor?

Any idea of Videocon Ecotech series of invertors?

Their website says that it is based on IGBT based technology & hence manages power better & hence the backup time is increased by upto 10% more than normal plain dsp based system. It is a puresine invertor. Coming from Videocon, I feel it should be a quality product which should function without any issues. Indiaplaza.in is offering Videocon Ecotech 825 for Rs. 4700 including shipping (battery should be purchased extra). Sukam Falcon-1 800va model was quoted 6.5k in Bangalore for me by a dealer.

So, what do you folks think? Is this a good buy? Any experience with this model?
Old 26th November 2009, 16:07   #186
BHPian

Quote:
My dryer, my geyser, my microwave & my drip coffee maker use the 15 A points.
It all depends on the current consumption of each individual equipment. Most Microwave ovens use a 600 W Magnetron (the heart of a microwave) and their consumption would be about 750-900 W. On the other hand if your microwave has convection mode which uses heating coils (like conventional ovens) then its consumption could be as high as 3 KW depending on the model.

Storage water heaters generally use 1 - 2 KW heating elements. But instant water heaters/geysers would use higher capacity elements to heat the water faster - thus they would consume around 3 KW.

A 5 A wall socket in India (where the mains voltage is 240 V ) is intended for appliances which consume about 1000 W or less. If you draw more than 5 A continuously from this socket ( the wires feeding them would be sized for 5 A again), you will end up overheating the socket and in a worst case scenario - you could set fire to the electrical cables.

Quote:
I wish to run 3 pcs, 1 printer (laser) though it isnt a necessity, 3 wall fans and 3 CFL tubes. what kind of inverter/UPS should I go for. I was hoping for a back up of about 2 hours.
3 X Wall Fan - about 75 W each: 225 W
3 X CFL 20 W type: 60 W
3 X PC = 300-500 W depending upon the power supply unit and the monitor (CRTs consume more while LCDs consume less):900 to 1500 W

Thus you would need about 1.5 KVA to 3 KVA UPS unit. Your backup time depends on the battery capacity. I have taken the laser printer into consideration in this rough estimate.
Old 3rd December 2009, 17:56   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Any idea of Videocon Ecotech series of invertors?

Their website says that it is based on IGBT based technology & hence manages power better & hence the backup time is increased by upto 10% more than normal plain dsp based system. It is a puresine invertor. Coming from Videocon, I feel it should be a quality product which should function without any issues. Indiaplaza.in is offering Videocon Ecotech 825 for Rs. 4700 including shipping (battery should be purchased extra). Sukam Falcon-1 800va model was quoted 6.5k in Bangalore for me by a dealer.

So, what do you folks think? Is this a good buy? Any experience with this model?
I also need feedback from forum members if anyone has used Videocon inverter, I was in the process of getting one for me and found Videocon specifications quite good.
Old 6th December 2009, 21:41   #188
Senior - BHPian

Anyone has good/bad experience on Base terminal batteries (UPS/ Tubular) ? I am replacing my batteries for my UPS and the dealer says these are good and come with 24+24 months warranty. Hence thinking of buying it.
Old 7th December 2009, 01:42   #189
Senior - BHPian

^^^ No experience with their UPS/tubular batteries, but have heard good things about them from people who do. Also, their automotive batteries are good. Personally, I have one in one of my bikes. Its working good and doesn't leak at all.
Old 7th December 2009, 16:09   #190
BHPian

Hi benbsb29,

I am planning to get an inverter setup due to frequent power cutoff in my area

What's your opinion/review about SF Sonic Power Box 135Ah battery ?
Old 13th December 2009, 13:52   #191
Senior - BHPian

DG killer from Honda?

I've noticed this fantastic generator from Honda in several banks/offices; It's so great-looking and silent, petrol-driven. Whopping 5500 watts rated output. Model EU65is.

I've made inquiries with a couple of offices where I know the top brass and learnt that they were planning for a DG set but instead opted for it. This is a very niche market and I think Honda may hit several low-end Diesel Genset models where it hurts.

The one bought by a local bank branch for Rs.163,290 ("ex-showroom"). They said it's made in Japan, though I cant see any stickers or marking on it announcing that claim. But it certainly does look like one made by the japs.

http://www.hondasielpower.com/genset_EU65is.html

Please note that Im not associated with Honda Just informing the forum about an interesting product!

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 13th December 2009 at 13:55.
Old 15th December 2009, 19:05   #192
BHPian

inverter

Went inverter hunting, and did lots of research work prior to the purchase..

Requirements were - a decent backup (TV+ 2 Fans+2 Lights) for at least 3.5-4 hours.
I also wanted only a Pure Sine Wave inverter.
I wanted a maintenance free battery.
I wanted a good enclosure for the battery- since my kid keeps exploring the house.
Decent warranty period.

Went to a multi brand inverter store, had an eye out for APC and Luminous inverters.. was always a sucker for APCs good looks (strong bias here :-))

Went to the store to check out the brands and told the store owner my requirements.

The battery was pretty easy - Exide's INvaQUEEN MF 500+ Flat plate maintenance free battery. 135mAh

Inverter unit was a battle between Luminous, Crompton Greaves, Microtek & Whirlpool. APC did not come with a 800VA Pure sine wave inverter (It had a square wave for that rating) - so sadly gave up the APC dream.

I had heard the hype about Luminous, but after talking to a guy who knew the in and outs of this stuff, was told that electronics were basicaly the same for all, the only thing that mattered really was the warranty period, cost and servicing.

After hearing this I chucked out Luminous, because it was a good 2K more than the rest of the pack. I settled on Microtek, because I was told it was 850VA and a bit more robust.Crompton greaves too was recommended, but here again it looked like a relic.

The 2K I saved on the Inverter, would have to go for the Battery enclosure. Here's the thing- as far as enclosures are concerned dont bother thinking of anything else other than APC.. the plastic is so good, and elegant. and Solid Build and plus its easily dismantleable. The enclosure was obtained after some bargaining as a seperate piece for 1.5K.

total cost 17K. Happy with the purchase. Switchover time is fast, battery is good too. The kid can't wander around the APC cabinet, so mind's at peace.
Old 16th December 2009, 09:18   #193
Senior - BHPian

I Did some research on Inverter batteries recently when I went for a battery change for my inverter. I have SU-Kam Falcon inverter. It is a 800 VA pure sine wave UPS/ inverter. Here are my research findings -

1. A maintenance free inverter batteries are sure shot duds on a long run. Due to heavy load on the batteries they tend to loose their durability and backup duration pretty quickly and one ends up changing the batteries in 2 years. This is because the electrolyte is a paste rather than liquid (As in case of normal batteries).

2. It is always good to invest on a good quality Inverter/ UPS to have have a trouble free, long lasting batteries. Falcon has been good so far. I have mostly (99% of the time) used in Inverter mode with normal charge option (Not the quick charge option).

3. It is always good to go for Tubular batteries instead of flat plate batteries. It is good investment on a long run.

4. Always go for a good branded batteries which have high warranty. Longer the warranty, more robust the construction and better the reliability.

Finally(Last week) I decided on buying Base Terminal "Basetuff 16000" 160 AH tubular battery which has a 24+24 month warranty. 24 months full replacement warranty and next 24 months 40% prorated warranty. So far I am a satisfied customer. Only time will tell whether I did a right decision or not.
Old 16th December 2009, 16:02   #194
Senior - BHPian

We have an Amaron inverter battery which is ultra low maintenance. Going good for over 4 - 5 years now. It has been topped up barely twice till now... so its "almost" maintenance free. Exides reportedly require attention more frequently and may not last long. Base terminal should be good too... in fact the warranty seems better than Amarons.
Old 16th December 2009, 16:07   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
We have an Amaron inverter battery which is ultra low maintenance. Going good for over 4 - 5 years now. It has been topped up barely twice till now... so its "almost" maintenance free. Exides reportedly require attention more frequently and may not last long. Base terminal should be good too... in fact the warranty seems better than Amarons.
Thats too good. What is the general power failure frequency at your place?

Which make of inverter do you use ? Thanks

Most Viewed