Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2008, 10:55   #31
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Well, we have been using a 800 VA Su-Kam inverter on an Amaron inverter battery since August 2005. Working fine till now. The batt has only been topped up with distilled water couple of times.

It still keeps our 29" CRT tv, comp, couple lights + fans powered... have not checked how much the batt has lost its power... but its still quite decent!

That said, I'd also suggest you consider an APC inverter. They are supposed to be the best!
APC doesn't seem to have good reputation as per mouthshut. Of all the inverters, Su-Kam is the one which seems to have the best reviews in
mouthshut.

Anyone know of a good Su-Kam dealer in Pune.
Also I have a 600 VA Microtek inverter I want to dispose of, it's in very
good condition - anyone know if any electrical shops will buy it?
Old 25th April 2008, 20:36   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A 10KVA generator will cost around 40,000 all inclusive. It will of course be a non branded unit. It will run 3 ACs + some other appliances.
Check with Su-kam for inverter of same capacity.
A 10KVA genset for 40,000 /- , can you share the source, I don't need the 10 KVA though, looking for a decent 3-4 KVA with low initial cost, low running cost, low maitenance and high output to keep the lights/fans/washing machine/Refrigerator etc. running at home.

I have a Sukam invertor with two batteries already, but the power cuts are so long and frequent in Ghaziabad...the invertor is just useless. No wonder property prices in delhi are going thru the roof, with such pathetic quality of life (Water, Power, Roads, Crime .....) in NCR, everyone would like to move to Delhi.

coming back to the topic, pls suggest a decent 3-4 KVA genset.

Thanks
Old 26th April 2008, 12:10   #33
Senior - BHPian

Shanky, I think he is referring to Lister/Petter type 'slow-speed' gensets which are operated on diesel and are comparitively inexpensive. In India if you can get a Kirloskar manufactured Lister-type genset you will be lucky. Or else there are other manufacturers based around Rajkot and Agra who also make these. But their quality control is dodgy. Sometimes you get a good set and sometimes a bad one.

A slow-speed genset (1500 RPM-750 RPM) is better than a high-speed (3000 RPM) which run on petrol/kerosene and the likes of which used by honda because that not only ensures long-life for the Generator Engine but also sips fuel frugally and can operate for long hours even days together.
Old 26th April 2008, 15:51   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
APC doesn't seem to have good reputation as per mouthshut.
I'd be surprised if that were true. APC is an extremely high quality brand. I have been using an APC UPS system without a single complaint. Even BHPians have spoken in favour of APC : Link (Which UPS to buy ?)
Old 26th April 2008, 16:51   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by megger View Post
1. Why would you want to run 280L refrigerator on inverter? It will make inverter more expensive and bigger battery bank, may also mean lower conversion efficiency at smaller loads.
Agreed completely. I would recommend picking up a better refrigerator. Most brands use very bad insulation which results in very fast loss of chill inside the refrigerator. Premium models are designed to keep things fresh inside the refrigerator for more than 10 hrs (provided door is not opened frequently)

I personally use Luminous 1.4KVA Pure Sine Wave inverter. I picked up 2x12V 180Ah batteries for extended backup. Picked up 1.4KVA model to make sure I can run my water pump on this if required. The inverter is able to run even a mixie if required. Otherwise for normal application, 800VA models should be good enough.
Old 15th July 2008, 10:20   #36
Senior - BHPian

How much is the power outage each day/ in a week ??

points to remember:

- Gensets will make some noise (even the noiseless one's), you can hear at the dead of the night

- Gensets will consume fuel and add to the pollution based on their running

- Will need maintenance like oil/ filter change etc.

- Inverters will consume battery based on the usage over 2-3 years

- Consumable used in inverter is mostly battery water

- Virtually noiseless

- Need more time to recharge almost 2-3 times in terms of the no. of hours used. So if the load shedding is very frequent and for longer duration, inverters wont work
Old 15th July 2008, 14:33   #37
BANNED

Hi Guys,

I really have no idea about this but I want to have approximately 12-15 Kv backup in my house. Was thinking of going with an auto start genset and have only just started the research.

Someone suggested a high capacity UPS.

Any ideas on how each works out in the long term WRT initial purchase cost, diesel cost, battery replacement cost etc?

Would be really great to get any help here.

In my nursing home I have a 25Kva Kirloskar gen which has [touch wood] been trouble free completely. There its not auto start as I have a guy 24/7 to start it but at home I will need auto start.Some feedback was that auto start panels for small sets were not that reliable. True?
Old 15th July 2008, 14:56   #38
BHPian

Deepak, the new generation DG sets which are used by banks and telecom companies are very reliable and are highly recommended. They come in capacities ranging from 5KVA to 2500KVA. They come in a CPCB certified canopy and are relatively silent. They generally come with a Kirloskar engine. Major players in this segment are Jakson, etc.

Nowadays, I am seeing a lot of DG-sets using Mahindra and Caterpilar engines. The automatic starter is known as an AMF panel and will cost an extra 20-25k depending on the make. As far as performance of the genset is concerned, these work as a diesel vehicle and need regular service and oil and oil-filter change and the works. It is recommended to go in for an AMC with your genset supplier and that takes care of all your headache.

As far as a UPS is concerned, for a 12-15KVA UPS, you will need to spend atleast double the amount you will for a genset and I won't recommend it for a residential purpose. Also, with a UPS solution, you will need to change the whole set of batteries every couple of years.

You can get more information regarding suppliers and manufactures on the internet. This should get you started.
Reddy Generators, Generator suppliers, diesel generators, Hyderabad, India, Andhra Pradesh, Sales, Services, Hiring, rentals, maintenance of Generators, hire Generators, Generator Sales, Generator Repairs, Generator Services, Generator Rentals, Gener
JAKSON WEB PAGE-1
Old 15th July 2008, 22:01   #39
BHPian

AS a thumb-rule, a battery backup used about 6-10% extra power for charging.

So if power cuts are infrequent, (or maybe seasonal) it will waste a lot of power.
Old 16th July 2008, 09:21   #40
BHPian

What abt solar panels? Anyone using it for home lighting? How reliable is it?
Old 16th July 2008, 20:55   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
What abt solar panels? Anyone using it for home lighting? How reliable is it?
Solar panels also use Batteries and inverters. They would only be as reliable as your inverter and battery. You only save on the battery charging costs.
Old 17th July 2008, 15:24   #42
BHPian

I guess with fuel prices shooting through the roof by the day, going in for Solar Panels or an Inverter (depending on your usage) would be the best option these days.
Old 17th July 2008, 16:05   #43
BHPian

Solar Panels or inverters can only be considered as an option if you are planning for short powercuts or outages. With the current power scenario of India, one needs to be prepared for power cuts for atleast 12-14 hours if not more. In such cases, only a generator will serve the purpose.
Old 17th July 2008, 16:29   #44
Team-BHP Support

any idea how much a generator will cost.
Something to power up say 2 fans and 2 tubelights.
TV will be an added bonus.
Old 18th July 2008, 01:10   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
any idea how much a generator will cost.
Something to power up say 2 fans and 2 tubelights.
TV will be an added bonus.
We bought one in 1997 and it cost RS10,000 then. Upgraded last year to a custom built one based on a 407 engine. Still have the old one as a spare.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks