Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2020, 23:41   #1
BHPian

Serial number scam when ordering electronics online

I ordered a Blaupunkt car stereo during the big billion day sale from Flipkart on 15th Oct and after installing in my car, the mechanic told me that steering wheel controls are not working even after connecting an OEM to aftermarket steering wheel control adapter and it is most likely faulty because some people I know have installed the same stereo in the same model car successfully with the steering controls working. So I decided to ask for a replacement from flipkart and it was accepted. When the courier person came for pickup, he refused to take it saying his system is not accepting the serial number mentioned in the product and he didn't know why. He casually mentioned it could be a technical issue and that I should try next day. The same problem happened again the next day and this time the courier boy asked me to call customer care. First they tried to accuse me of trying to return a different product than what I received (why would I do that??) and then took a complaint and promised it will be resolved in 2 days. The same evening I received an sms saying my complaint has been closed since the product I tried to return was different from what was delivered to me

I once again called the customer care and the person apologized for inconvenience and raised another return request. Same story. Delivery guy refused to pick up again and I called the customer care in front of him and asked what is the problem. They revealed to me that the serial number mentioned in the invoice is different from the serial number on the product! I had so far not noticed this and it was indeed different! The invoice mentioned 'B5' as the serial number but the product has 'BPxxxxx075'. Basically they just entered the first and last digit of the serial number on the invoice instead of the 14 digits which the actual serial number had. Now I had to raise another complaint for this serial number mismatch and they have escalated this issue with the seller and told me that "if" the seller agrees that it's a mistake then he will update the invoice and then I can raise a return. Now I am at the mercy of the seller. They have asked 48 hours to resolve this but my return window is closing tomorrow. When I mentioned this, I have been assured that it will be honoured since this is a special case but I don't have much hopes now.

In the past I have purchased many large appliances from flipkart and the immediate thing I did today was to search for their invoices and see if the serial numbers match. Out of 4 devices I brought from them (TV, Fridge, Washing machine and Microwave) 3 of them had the correct serial number but the microwave had a totally different serial number on the invoice than what is written on the product. Luckily the microwave is 4 years old and out of warranty so I am no longer worried about it. What if it had a defect and I need to make a warranty claim with the manufacturer? Will the manufacturer honor it even if the serial number is wrong? How will the manufacturer trust me about the actual age of the product? Has anyone else faced this issue and did the e-commerce player or seller resolve it? I searched in Google and there have been few instances where people have struggled for months to get the serial number corrected. Why should the customer suffer for a mistake (could even be a typo) made by the seller?

After this incident I have decided the change my SOP when it comes to ecommerce shopping. When making large value purchases,
1) Always demand open box delivery.
2) Check the serial number of the product IN FRONT of the delivery person.
3) If no serial number is mentioned in the invoice or if it is different from what is shown in the product, DO NOT accept the package. You never know if they will accept it if you end up in a situation where you have to return it.

I have now sent them an email with photos of the serial number printed on the box, warranty card and a sticker on the car stereo which also has the same serial number. Will let you all know if I receive any update.

Last edited by nagr22 : 23rd October 2020 at 23:46.
nagr22 is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 09:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Online Shopping Thread

This is their new Modus Operandi, happened to me as well while I was trying to exchange my laptop. FK says the serial number is different and wasted 3 hours of my time, forcing me to pay up full cash (he was simply adamant) without exchange. I refused outright and gave away the laptop which was in excellent condition to someone in my Whatsapp group. They tried this trick with my brother-in-law and refused to collect his old CRT TV but he stood his ground and refused to let them go without collecting the TV. He wasted four hours in that
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
he refused to take it saying his system is not accepting the serial number mentioned in the product and he didn't know why. He casually mentioned it could be a technical issue and that I should try next day
Sebring is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 10:51   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post

How can the seller deny a clear mistake when the "serial number" on the invoice was not even a legitimate one (only 2 characters instead of the expected 14) ?! -- Again, was it an "fAssured" order?
The seller hasn't denied yet. It is the courier person and flipkart customer care who have been denying the pick up since the past 1 week and only yesterday it was found out that the serial number in the invoice is not matching the one on the product.

Yes, it is fAssured and according to customer care, the serial number that they have (B5) is what the seller has given them and they need seller's approval if they have to pick up the one which I have. I had sent an email with photos of the warranty card, box etc showing the correct serial number. They called me to ask for a screenshot showing the serial number on the product screen as well. I had to explain to him that it's not a mobile phone where I can power on and take a screen shot just like that. I have already spent 2.5k worth of cables, adapters and another 500Rs on labour charges to install and then remove it and I am not going to do that again just to get a picture of serial number
He also asked me to check whether there is any part number or barcode on the box which reads 'B5' as there have been instances where the sellers enter the barcode in the place of serial number by mistake. I checked and there wasn't any. Then I explained to him that the actual serial number started with B and ended with 5 so the seller might have entered it in short form.

He updated my response in their ticket and said he will get back to me after discussing with the seller. If he comes back saying he definitely needs that screenshot then I guess I have no other option.
nagr22 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 19:38   #4
BHPian

The retail box of the HP keyboard that I bought recently has been opened previously. It was sealed back with the same HP monogramed circular sticker, but from the looks of it it is obvious that it has been resealed. Maybe it was returned by somebody.

Isn't returned/open box products supposed to be sold as refurbished? The keyboard does not look used, at least not heavily. And it seems to be working fine. But can't be sure if there exists some issue that is not-so-easy to spot. This not from some non-descript seller, but from Appario Retail. I have received seemingly opened boxes in the past, but not from Appario or Cloudtail.

I tried returning it for a replacement, but I do not see an appropriate option. I mean, no option like "box opened" or "not unused". I will use it until the return window to spot any issues, and return only if I find any. Its a low priced item, so no need of going through the hassle.

But this incident diminished my trust on Amazon's own sellers like Couldtail and Appario.
dragonfire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 21:07   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
The retail box of the HP keyboard that I bought recently has been opened previously. It was sealed back with the same HP monogramed circular sticker, but from the looks of it it is obvious that it has been resealed. Maybe it was returned by somebody.
I had fallen for the strong recommendation of the TVS Gold mechanical keyboard at TBHP, and ordered one from Amazon. What was delivered yesterday was the keyboard in its own box (no Amazon wrapping) which was completely unsealed, -- no trace of even any sealing tape! -- The delivery guy told me such items are often shipped this way by Amazon! The keyboard inside did look unused, so I accepted it.

However, the problem is, the Amazon invoice has no mention of the Serial No., and TVS Electronics is known to refuse warranty service on this ground alone! The funny thing is, the seller was TVS Electronics themselves (from their own store at Amazon)! The Amazon customer care has promised to get me a corrected invoice from TVSE (with the Serial No. included) within 48 hours. Let's see what happens. Tried calling TVSE customer care too, but without success! No help from their useless website either! Doesn't inspire confidence! Here is an Indian company selling a product with an well-established reputation, but with the typical age-old Indian-Standard customer service!

-- This is the latest instance of my dissatisfaction with Amazon's lousy packaging standard. Seldom do they pack things satisfactorily! I had to return damaged products on several occasions. But they would never learn! As a result I have stopped ordering delicate items from Amazon altogether. Flipkart is much better in this respect, so for such products I go often to them instead. Thus, although my total number of orders from Amazon is much larger, I think for me Flipkart is the winner in total value terms! I'm surprised Amazon is seemingly unaware of such considerations amongst customers!

Quote:
I tried returning it for a replacement, but I do not see an appropriate option. I mean, no option like "box opened" or "not unused".
Contact the customer service, -- they'll do it for you.
meerkat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 17:18   #6
BHPian

Quote:

He updated my response in their ticket and said he will get back to me after discussing with the seller. If he comes back saying he definitely needs that screenshot then I guess I have no other option.
Update regarding the serial number issue:

After almost 2 weeks of calling and sharing various screenshots, flipkart finally agreed to offer a replacement (I now regret for not insisting on refund) and the replacement order arrived today. Guess what? This time too the serial number on the invoice is not matching that of the product! This time they have printed some random barcode on the box as the serial number

Serial number scam when ordering electronics online-screenshot_20201029170532_drive.jpg

Serial number scam when ordering electronics online-20201029_165926.jpg

I tried to refuse delivery but the delivery guy said he can't accept the return of my old device if I don't collect this

So I collected the box, took photos and immediately shot an email to flipkart customer care and also called them explaining the issue and asking for a refund. The executive said the system is not accepting my return request due to some internal policy and that they will have to conduct a security check on my account. She told me to wait for 2 business days and as soon as I ended the call I got an sms saying my return request has been declined due to internal policy reasons. Now I have lost hope on their customer support. What should I do guys? Will I face any problem with warranty claims from Blaupunkt if I chose to keep the product?
nagr22 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 17:38   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Update regarding the serial number issue:
Long story short - Without any delay, write in no uncertain terms on their Facebook page and they will respond.
Safety is Param is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 16:38   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I had fallen for the strong recommendation of the TVS Gold mechanical keyboard at TBHP, and ordered one from Amazon. What was delivered yesterday was the keyboard in its own box (no Amazon wrapping) which was completely unsealed, -- no trace of even any sealing tape! -- The delivery guy told me such items are often shipped this way by Amazon! The keyboard inside did look unused, so I accepted it.

However, the problem is, the Amazon invoice has no mention of the Serial No., and TVS Electronics is known to refuse warranty service on this ground alone! The funny thing is, the seller was TVS Electronics themselves (from their own store at Amazon)! The Amazon customer care has promised to get me a corrected invoice from TVSE (with the Serial No. included) within 48 hours. Let's see what happens. Tried calling TVSE customer care too, but without success! No help from their useless website either! Doesn't inspire confidence! Here is an Indian company selling a product with an well-established reputation, but with the typical age-old Indian-Standard customer service!
I see that you took the plunge, the non-cherry keys notwithstanding.

Sorry to hear about your experience. In my case, the seller was Appario Retail and received it well packed.

TVS is so old school, I got mine with a QC passed sticker which was initialled off in a ballpoint pen!
TVS expects us to register for warranty via snail mail. I hope you have received such a card? The data required was the invoice number(should be available in your amazon order list) and the serial number (stuck to the base of the key board). I know this, since I filled it and have not gotten around mailing it

Quote:
However, the problem is, the Amazon invoice has no mention of the Serial No., and TVS Electronics is known to refuse warranty service on this ground alone!
Curious to know if someone actually exercised this? Is this available in Bangalore?
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 07:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
I see that you took the plunge, the non-cherry keys notwithstanding.

-- And the cherry on the cake is, TVS Electronics still describes the Gold keyboards as having "cherry switches" (see screenshot) -- in a similar vein to 'Xerox', or 'Surf' or 'Dalda', I guess!

Quote:
In my case, the seller was Appario Retail and received it well packed.

Somehow I believed that all "Fulfilled by Amazon" products are handled the same way, with no distinction made amongst sellers! -- The delivery person did say that sometimes keyboards do come well packed as well, but often in just the way it came to me!

-- And to top it all, the keyboard is now on sale from Appario at a price that is 10% less than what Amazon had charged me during the 'Great Indian Sale'!

Quote:
TVS is so old school, I got mine with a QC passed sticker which was initialled off in a ballpoint pen!
TVS expects us to register for warranty via snail mail. I hope you have received such a card? The data required was the invoice number(should be available in your amazon order list) and the serial number (stuck to the base of the key board).
Same for me. The Warranty Card also asks for a Stamp and Signature of the seller. -- I'm hoping TVS-E can't deny me warranty since the invoice clearly mentions 'TVS Electronics' themselves as the seller!
Attached Thumbnails
Serial number scam when ordering electronics online-cherry-switches-tvs-gold-_20201031.png  

Old 3rd November 2020, 16:37   #10
BANNED

Quote:
-- And to top it all, the keyboard is now on sale from Appario at a price that is 10% less than what Amazon had charged me during the 'Great Indian Sale'!

Same for me. The Warranty Card also asks for a Stamp and Signature of the seller. -- I'm hoping TVS-E can't deny me warranty since the invoice clearly mentions 'TVS Electronics' themselves as the seller!
I added a cricket bat to an order in so that the order qualifies for the 10% discount on my card. It has been 3 -4 days and it is still "preparing for dispaatch". (It was marked prime delivery. Now, the price displayed is 11.5% less than what I paid.

Regarding the keyboard warranty, period of warranty is usually counted from date of billing @ reseller end, and NOT sale by retailer. There will be a serial number on the item and the warranty is matched against the sticker with the product serial number, and warranty card is for consumption by termites and / or government auditors for Institutional sales. This is for PC related hardware only.

But seriously, will you bother claiming warranty on a keyboard?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 08:26   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I added a cricket bat to an order in so that the order qualifies for the 10% discount on my card. It has been 3 -4 days and it is still "preparing for dispaatch". (It was marked prime delivery. Now, the price displayed is 11.5% less than what I paid.
But seriously, will you bother claiming warranty on a keyboard?

For a Rs. 2700/- keyboard? -- Yes, I would, -- seriously! Would I be bothered for long if I had lost that amount somehow? Not likely. Would I be peeved if I had purchased something along with a contract (an warranty) which was not fulfilled? Most certainly, yes!

-- I see that you did care enough to save Rs. ~500/- (10%) by adding something that was apparently not in your primary shopping list! It even seems to have bothered you when a still lesser amount was discounted from the price of the bat, post purchase!
meerkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 10:05   #12
BANNED

Quote:
For a Rs. 2700/- keyboard? -- Yes, I would, -- seriously! Would I be bothered for long if I had lost that amount somehow? Not likely. Would I be peeved if I had purchased something along with a contract (an warranty) which was not fulfilled? Most certainly, yes!
No disrespect meant, but I had used a "TVS Gold" keyboard sometime, somewhere, and was impressed. But never found it online or offline. And sometime later, I did get a "TVS gold" and it certainly was a huge disappointmentntment. Since I go up to 65-70 wpm doing word processing, a soft touch, fast and large keyboard is important to me. If TVS Gold is back to its golden quality, yes, I may buy it next time though I dont do much word processing nowadays.

Reg the bat - my son is turning a teenager this week, so I would have purchased it anyway.

The point I wanted to make is our common experience:‐

- something is listed apparently at a discount.
- we purchase it.
- it is now listed at a price lesser than what it cost us.
- I'm yet to receive the bat.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 10:21   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They revealed to me that the serial number mentioned in the invoice is different from the serial number on the product! I had so far not noticed this and it was indeed different! The invoice mentioned 'B5' as the serial number but the product has 'BPxxxxx075'. Basically they just entered the first and last digit of the serial number on the invoice instead of the 14 digits which the actual serial number had. Now I had to raise another complaint for this serial number mismatch and they have escalated this issue with the seller and told me that "if" the seller agrees that it's a mistake then he will update the invoice and then I can raise a return. Now I am at the mercy of the seller. They have asked 48 hours to resolve this but my return window is closing tomorrow. When I mentioned this, I have been assured that it will be honoured since this is a special case but I don't have much hopes now.
Quote:
Will the manufacturer honor it even if the serial number is wrong? How will the manufacturer trust me about the actual age of the product? Has anyone else faced this issue and did the e-commerce player or seller resolve it? I searched in Google and there have been few instances where people have struggled for months to get the serial number corrected. Why should the customer suffer for a mistake (could even be a typo) made by the seller?
Although I ordered the same Product that was delivered intact and has been working fine in terms of all the functions, I tried to register the product today and realised that the I am also a victim of this SERIAL NUMBER SCAM.

What doesn't seem like a mere co-incidence and makes me doubt about this malpractice is that the serial number in my invoice matches to that in your invoice .

Serial number scam when ordering electronics online-ny750-serial-number-invoice.jpg

And when I check the serial number on the box, it is obviously different.

The product registration asks me to upload a copy of the invoice and a photo of the serial number on the sticker on the product box. I am not sure if their system will accept this and register my product if the serial number in the invoice and the one on the box are different!!

I am going to call their customer care and if their response is cold, I will be tweeting too. If this seems like a planned tactic, will also ask mods to create a new thread so this gets highlighted and gains more visibility.

As I said earlier, the product works absolutely fine including steering controls but the mismatch of serial numbers is just not done.

EDIT: I have been able to complete the registration "process" of the product as it asks me to upload images of the invoice and the serial number on the box, verification is pending. The Product will be officially registered after verification and to me this doesn't look straight since numbers don't match. Will wait if I get a rejection e-mail before contacting Flipkart:

Serial number scam when ordering electronics online-warranty-regn.jpg

Last edited by paragsachania : 4th November 2020 at 10:37.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 10:54   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Although I ordered the same Product that was delivered intact and has been working fine in terms of all the functions, I tried to register the product today and realised that the I am also a victim of this SERIAL NUMBER SCAM.

What doesn't seem like a mere co-incidence and makes me doubt about this malpractice is that the serial number in my invoice matches to that in your invoice .

Attachment 2076168

And when I check the serial number on the box, it is obviously different.

The product registration asks me to upload a copy of the invoice and a photo of the serial number on the sticker on the product box. I am not sure if their system will accept this and register my product if the serial number in the invoice and the one on the box are different!!

I am going to call their customer care and if their response is cold, I will be tweeting too. If this seems like a planned tactic, will also ask mods to create a new thread so this gets highlighted and gains more visibility.

As I said earlier, the product works absolutely fine including steering controls but the mismatch of serial numbers is just not done.

EDIT: I have been able to complete the registration "process" of the product as it asks me to upload images of the invoice and the serial number on the box, verification is pending. The Product will be officially registered after verification and to me this doesn't look straight since numbers don't match. Will wait if I get a rejection e-mail before contacting Flipkart:

Attachment 2076194
Looks like a scam to me at the outset.

What I think is that these units were procured via grey market. A few genuine units were procured and the serial number of those units is re-used on all the other units sold. The price that you paid ~12K is too good. The Blaupunkt India website lists the same product at Rs.21990 MRP and Rs.20890 after discount. You got it at 10K off MRP which is unusual for a head unit.

https://blaupunktcar.in/buy/blaupunk...-York/750/127/
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 11:11   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The Blaupunkt India website lists the same product at Rs.21990 MRP and Rs.20890 after discount. You got it at 10K off MRP which is unusual for a head unit.
I am aware of this. In fact BP India was my first choice to buy when I discussed this with Audioholic as he also had picked one from BP directly few months before.

However, Flipkart had a pre-book offer for Re.1 few days before the BBD sale and I booked this through the same offer and paid the rest on the opening day of BBD. Also, it was Flipkart assured. Not that I say that this means 100% genuine but I have bought quite a few stuff that are listed as Flipkart assured.

Same product today is listed for 13,XXX on Flipkart (assured).

The retailer name is mentioned on the invoice, the invoice has tax details including GST number and hence I am hoping the serial number scam is a modus operandi for gains elsewhere.

Let us wait to hear from Blaupunkt on this one and if my Product Registration for warranty is successful or not.

Edit: Guess what? Warranty Activated based on the documents I uploaded.

Serial number scam when ordering electronics online-img_20201104_111445.jpg

So I lay this speculation of SCAM to rest since Blaupunkt accepted the copy of Invoice I uploaded too.

Last edited by paragsachania : 4th November 2020 at 11:17.
paragsachania is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks