Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2009, 21:54   #31
Senior - BHPian

Have you used them as RAM?
Old 12th January 2009, 21:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

I'd suggest you buy some RAM instead. Readyboost is not there yet, and the performance gains are not significant with systems having 1GB or more of RAM
Old 12th January 2009, 22:02   #33
BHPian

Hi Techno check the link out,think the Corsair Flash VoyagerGT 16GB for Rs 2200/ is a good buy TechEnclave
Old 12th January 2009, 22:30   #34
Senior - BHPian

See basically I want to buy a Pen drive for other purpose its just that if this can be used in Vista, I can use it once in a while when using any ram intensive activity (which is not often) The stock setup does fine right now

Thanks Yogi but I already have a 120 GB WD passport HDD

Just looking for decent 1gb-2gb pen drive with dual purpose

Last edited by Technocrat : 12th January 2009 at 22:32.
Old 12th January 2009, 22:33   #35
Senior - BHPian

Dont use Transcend V30, I repeat. V30 are probably the slowest I have ever seen ( in USB 2.0 ). Go for Transcend V10 series. V10 series in Transcend in 4GB is good buy.
Also Kingston Datatraveller is quite fast to be used as RAM. However, if you are planning to use it as Ram, go for V10 as build quality is not that important as the pen drive will be plugged in.
Old 12th January 2009, 22:38   #36
Senior - BHPian

Thanks aaggoswami, I will check out Transcend V10 & Kingston Datatraveller
Old 12th January 2009, 22:39   #37
abk
BHPian

I have used several pen drives including 64kB Kensington to 512 MB Dane electric to 1 GB Verbatim to 4 GB Memorex. All of them are still working. However, one feature that i liked on the Kensington stick is it allows you to protect your files with password for to prevent unintended intrusion which i thought was a great feature. Ever since then I have not found this feature on any of the sticks. Or they probably still provide password protection at a premium which i have not bothered looking too much around for

Windows Vista Home Premium does not allow my latest 4GB Memorex to be used for additional RAM "Ready Boost". Not sure what is its transfer rate and what is required by Vista
Old 12th January 2009, 22:56   #38
Senior - BHPian

If you want to buy a Corsair Voyager 8 GB for Rs.490/- including shipping. I have used the following:

Go to ebay.in and search for it. It will be priced at Rs.790/-.

Buy the product and put a Voucher Code: 2KI9KBI3AY to have Rs.300/- off. (This voucher is applicable on all the products above Rs.500/-).

So you will need to pay just Rs.490/-. I have bought a few products like that. Enjoy

Regards
MG

PS: I hope I have not broken any rules.
Old 13th January 2009, 00:00   #39
IMP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Dont use Transcend V30, I repeat. V30 are probably the slowest I have ever seen ( in USB 2.0 ). Go for Transcend V10 series. V10 series in Transcend in 4GB is good buy.
completely. Also you could try Transcend V60 its got better build quality than V10, performance is similar to V10.
I have heard good things about the corsair flash voyager gt if you want speed.
Old 13th January 2009, 00:30   #40
BHPian

speed and reliabilty... nothing beats Corsair !!
little it costlier than the Transcends but total VFM considering the looks, speed , warranty (10 yrs) and rubber body.
Old 13th January 2009, 01:22   #41
Senior - BHPian

The Sandisk I got free with my Yokohamas looks real cool too. Speed seems good too, but haven't really compared with others. Comes with a 5 year warranty. Corsair, however, is likely to be better... as most people who have used many pen drives will say.
Old 13th January 2009, 01:41   #42
BHPian

My 2 cents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Thanks aaggoswami, I will check out Transcend V10 & Kingston Datatraveller
I have been buying Pendrives for a few years now and I have used Transcend (512mb to 4GB), Kingston (1 GB) and now a Sandisk 4 GB. Among the three brands, I found Sandisk to have the fastest data transfer rates.

If you want to get hold of some professional test results, just google around for pen drive / USB drive comparision tests. You can see some here :

USB Flash Drive Comparison - 21 Tested and Compared

eBay Australia Guides - USB Drive Comparison Review
Old 13th January 2009, 10:13   #43
BHPian

Transcend, SANDISK and Kingston are good...
I have 3 Transcend 4GBs, 2 San-disk 8GBs and 1 Transcend 16 GB pen drives and they are good.

pen drive - Gift pen drive, Buy pen drive at low prices, Online pen drive, Best deals on pen drive | Only at Rediff Shopping

Rediff shopping is good. Try and see if it works for you.
Old 13th January 2009, 10:24   #44
BHPian

I have Transcend 4 GB and Kingston 1 GB. Kingston went through a full washing machine cycle and I found it lying on the bottom of the washing machine drum. I kept in Sun for 2 hours and then put in USB Slot on my Desktop. It worked perfectly fine. There was no data loss. This is what I call quality!!!

Transcend are also very good, but I do not intend to put it through same brutality that my Kingston went through.

take care and drive safely
Old 26th November 2011, 10:51   #45
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pen Drive. Which One to Go For?

I could do an economical yet great buy yesterday. Usually when I do a good buy, the economics go haywire. The Strontium 4GB key! So tiny it is.

I was always apprehensive of her big bag, whenever my wife gets in and out of our Beat's passenger seat. Being a forget freak she is, she gets in a hurry after double checking if she has really switched of the gas burner and if she has really locked the front door. Not able to do much acrobatics in her saree, she opens the passenger side door, plonks herself on to the seat and first pulls her legs inside then her bag from left to right. Ouch! A heart beat gets skipped when her bag whoosh past but luckily escapes the protruding Transcend jet flash plugged on to the head unit. After many attempts of trying to convince her to be gentle with the bag, I started looking around for alternative solutions. That was when I came across a page in flipkart.com featuring the Strontium key for only 299/-.

In just 2 days, the key arrived at a courier center nearby. I was bowled over by the size of the pen drive.

Pen Drive. Which One to Go For?-img_3678.jpg

Pen Drive. Which One to Go For?-img_3681.jpg

They do have an 8GB too in the same size, but 4GB was more than enough for me. It does carry a 5 year warranty!

Last edited by thoma : 26th November 2011 at 10:58.

Most Viewed