Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2010, 15:15   #1591
Senior - BHPian

Call the service guys Benny. My IFB issues started with this and took more than a month and lot of escalations to resolve. I donno what all had to be replaced cause finally they took the machine to the factory to fix. If you want the contacts of some higher-ups for escalation, let me know.
Old 4th November 2010, 16:19   #1592
BHPian

Folks Ended up with an LG. 23L one cost me 6.1K with a start up kit and a super cheap looking table clock.

The deal swingers were :

1. Ease of availability in neighborhood.
2. No negative comments on LG from other ladies.
3. 3 year warranty.
Old 4th November 2010, 20:22   #1593
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
I picked "LG fuzzy logic" 6.5kg, it costed me 14k...
lohitrao - that means a top loader, right?

Does it have a heater?

A short review will be appreciated, with some info on what you have used earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@BSD - I know you're a DIY guy, but you don't have IFB or did you get the LG replaced with the IFB?
LG was supposed to replace the IFB, but developed problems after the demo wash and was taken back (because a replacement piece was not available). I wish to add that in spite of teh disappointment, I liked LG's (that is, the company) approach and dealings overall. In light of the experience, we have postponed the new machine for some time. We will start a fresh search when we come out of the disappointment. But since LG does have a replacement policy, LG will be considered . As a consumerist, I hate brands / products with a strict "goods once sold will not be taken back" attitude. We are making a significant investment, and hate to live with a defective product.

[/quote]Anyway, @BSD & @Ben - Here're some pointers w.r.t leaks in dispenser - DIY washing machine repairs (Part 4).[/quote]

Thanks. Will look at it. Strange that "indesit", a brand I asked about earlier is mentioned in taht link.

Quote:
Sorry about the OT
What is off topic for this thread? We are discussing DIY home appliance repair. :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Folks Ended up with an LG. 23L one cost me 6.1K with a start up kit and a super cheap looking table clock.
What is a "start up kit"? MW ready utensils?
Old 4th November 2010, 22:11   #1594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
What is a "start up kit"? MW ready utensils?
yeah..some plastic stuff. Spatula, bowl to make rice, idli maker etc..
Old 4th November 2010, 23:26   #1595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
In top loaders, its like washing your clothes in bucket full of water, which is mostly the water pressure generated, not friction.
There is much more relative movement between clothes in top-loaders than in front-loaders, which can not but give rise to a lot of rubbing (or "friction" as you call it) between clothes. It's not like clothes are moving in water like stars in space! If you watch the wash action, you can easily see it. In fact for their top-loader models (agitator) Whirlpool highlight this very rubbing action with their "1-2 1-2" ads.

Last edited by meerkat : 4th November 2010 at 23:29.
Old 5th November 2010, 00:12   #1596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
I got samsung for my parents and LG for myself around same time 4 years back. Samsung went for repairs two times, My LG is rock solid without any repairs. Worst part of Samsung is their pathetic service, They told some part is gone, and its not available anymore, so sell this to us for some small price and get new. When i wrote letters to higher ups after coustomer service used to just transfer my call the same service center which was duping, finally they suddenly got parts and got repaired. Customer service is useless in samsung, they just pass your car to same service center even though you are complaining about them itself, how non-sense.

And paint job in my LG looks better than the so called ceramic in samsung which has become very dull, just a gimmick nothing else
Thats sad. Anyway, I have commented only on the fit, external quality and looks. Of course those are not the only considerations. However, I doubt that the ceramic coating is a gimmick. Anyway, it has been discussed before.
Old 5th November 2010, 12:33   #1597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
There is much more relative movement between clothes in top-loaders than in front-loaders, which can not but give rise to a lot of rubbing (or "friction" as you call it) between clothes. It's not like clothes are moving in water like stars in space! If you watch the wash action, you can easily see it. In fact for their top-loader models (agitator) Whirlpool highlight this very rubbing action with their "1-2 1-2" ads.
I was expecting this reply, the less water in the Front loader makes the cloth rub more along with the thump it provides during the tumble, which is not there in top loaders since its like a swirl of waterwaves with the colthes moving around in ample water, this doesnt mean that the clothes do not rub against each other but water acts as a lubricant and cleaning medium vs the thumping of clothes in the tumble wash front loaders.

Whirlpool with the agitator is an exception since thats the only machine with an agitator in Top loaders.

Last edited by dadu : 5th November 2010 at 12:34.
Old 5th November 2010, 14:58   #1598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As a consumerist, I hate brands / products with a strict "goods once sold will not be taken back" attitude. We are making a significant investment, and hate to live with a defective product.
Well, there's good & bad in it; if you haven't registered the product, then there're chances that LG would repair it & sell it off to some other customer. Nothing wrong, but still, it used to be a defective product once.

Who wouldn't like a replacement policy. Infact, my respect towards LG has gone up from your incident. Next time, I will definitely consider any LG product before checking up with the leading brand in that segment.

Quote:
Strange that "indesit", a brand I asked about earlier is mentioned in taht link.
Exactly, just google around for the issues with IFB & I got to see so many complaints. But I'll tell you, we've 2 IFB's in family bought not more than 3 years ago that are performing without a fuss. Both are Senorita 5.5 Kg.

Quote:
What is off topic for this thread? We are discussing DIY home appliance repair. :-D
Well, its DIY & not more of discussion on buying a product & hence.

Give a try with Whirlpool @BSD; not just that I have it, but, their service rocks & their products are made & simple to use type. I know they don't have a great technology like LG, but still worth giving a try.
Old 5th November 2010, 15:24   #1599
Senior - BHPian

@Shamanth, am so happy i dint pick Samsun though i was very keen on it.

@BSD, yes its a toploader.

Short review, have done couple of wash till now and i must say am happy. firstly the service guys gave a nice demo required a extension inlet pipe and they got it arranged very promptly!

This machine is pretty simple to handle, can choose between the programms which are set by default and if one is particular can customise.

Operating it is very simple, within couple of clicks/press the wash starts, soaking and later washing/drying the tub is also an easy process..

Wash quality has been very good, at my parents place we have a electrolux front loader and my jeans never got cleaned as in this machine...

so far so good
Old 6th November 2010, 00:36   #1600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
... its like a swirl of waterwaves with the colthes moving around in ample water, this doesnt mean that the clothes do not rub against each other but water acts as a lubricant and cleaning medium
You make it sound like the clothes float around in water individually. How do you explain the clothes actually getting jumbled into an awful entangled mess in pulsator top loaders? There must be a lot of contact for that to happen!
Old 8th November 2010, 23:13   #1601
BHPian

We are looking to buy a Refrigerator,Budget is around 20k-22k.Today went to Panasonic Brand store and saw NR30M8(19.5k), it has freezer at the bottom, read the review on mouthshut,where the review has written about some flaw in the electronic circuit of the fridge, Panasonic being a new player in this segment.Has anybody first had review of Panasonic fridges, they are offering an year warranty and 5 year warranty for compressor.
Also went to whirlpool outlet, hey had Fusion Premier range,260l cost around 15,600.
Kindly suggest/recommend!
Old 9th November 2010, 00:29   #1602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Well, there's good & bad in it; if you haven't registered the product, then there're chances that LG would repair it & sell it off to some other customer. Nothing wrong, but still, it used to be a defective product once.
Returned goods and other white goods which may have similar or other defects such as scratches or small dents etc. land up at the "Seconds Stores". These exist for almost all brands and are understandably not in high visibility areas. One would usually find them in low income clusters of the city and these generally look like warehouses. A friend was in the business handling seconds for several brands.
Old 9th November 2010, 11:40   #1603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Has anybody first had review of Panasonic fridges, they are offering an year warranty and 5 year warranty for compressor.
No we don't have, but from what I see around is Panasonic is seriously committed in India. So I assume they should fair well. The point of flaw in circuit or any appliance going kaput is going to happen with the best of the best brands, what really matters is service because that determines the maximum or minimum downtime. So just enquire on Panasonic's service tool. Most companies provide 1 year on product & 5 year on compressor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Also went to whirlpool outlet, hey had Fusion Premier range,260l cost around 15,600.
Whirlpool is good brand with excellent service & that's what I've been experiencing & recommending so far.

Ensure that you buy with less electronic components such as panel top to digitally set the thermostat etc. Those things are prone to conk off in 3-4 years & mostly they get out of warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Returned goods...business handling seconds for several brands.
Thanks for the info @Khoj. Never thought in these lines; looking forward to see your needs posted here since you've moved to a new city
Old 9th November 2010, 13:00   #1604
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I have raised a message from the IFB website, and will wait for them to send across someone to check.
These many days, and no one has responded.
Will try the number this time. Giving them the benefit of doubt since it was the Diwali weekend, and things do get crazy arund this period.
Old 11th November 2010, 19:14   #1605
AWD
BHPian

We have been using an IFB washing machine(front-loader) for ~ a decade now. Recently noticed water seeping from beneath, called IFB service. The service guy says a pipe is gone & the tub is also leaking. Asked him if tub could be welded, he said "No" & we would have to get the tub replaced. He quoted ~ 3500/- for the tub, labour extra. He also said that its better to go in for a new machine rather than pumping in money on the old one. I don't know whether he's right or not!

Later went to the market & saw/shortlisted the following models: Front-loaders:
LG: 5.5kg:
F8068 LDP - 18k
F8068 NDP - 17K

LG 6KG: F1256NDP - 27k

IFB 5.5KG:
Elena - 17k
Serena - 19k.

IFB 6KG: SENATOR -23k.

SAMSUNG 5.5KG: 8550NHS - 23K

Samsung 6 kg: 9652C8W - 27k

Many people suggest to opt for manual models in lieu of digital because digital models tend to go kaput on electricity fluctuations & repair is expensive.

LG direct drive is coming with 10 yr warranty on the motor.

Confused on what to do!

Last edited by AWD : 11th November 2010 at 19:15.

Most Viewed