Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2010, 19:22   #1606
Senior - BHPian

My advise is to stay away from IFB. The newer ones are no match for the one you already have (quality wise).
Old 11th November 2010, 19:30   #1607
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
AWD : Many people suggest to opt for manual models in lieu of digital because digital models tend to go kaput on electricity fluctuations & repair is expensive.
Manual vs Digital ?
Or Manual vs Fully Automatic ?

Comparison of rates :

Whirlpool (lowest of these 3)
Samsung
LG (highest of these 3).
Old 11th November 2010, 19:35   #1608
Senior - BHPian

@AWD - There's no confusion; simply opt for LG direct drive. As of now, they're the leaders in this technology & their service is good. Fellow Bhpian BSD had a faulty machine supplied & LG was prompt enough to accept their mistake & refund the money. The incident might sound bad, but LG acted very professional.

Watch out for the newer models in IFB as they're no longer the same quality as they used to be earlier.
Old 11th November 2010, 19:38   #1609
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
My advise is to stay away from IFB. The newer ones are no match for the one you already have (quality wise).
I feel the same but family still insists on IFB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Manual vs Digital ?
Or Manual vs Fully Automatic ?
Comparison of rates :Whirlpool (lowest of these 3)
Samsung
LG (highest of these 3).
Its Manual vs Digital, all fully automatic models.

I found Samsung the most expensive. Anyhow price is not the main criteria, quality is. Want a machine that lasts long & serves good.

Any remedies for the tub leakage problem in the old machine? I intend to keep the old one & get a new one too. Old machine is better retained becasue the exchange price/scrap price is really low, ~2k only.

Quote:
Aargee: There's no confusion; simply opt for LG direct drive. As of now, they're the leaders in this technology & their service is good. Fellow Bhpian BSD had a faulty machine supplied & LG was prompt enough to accept their mistake & refund the money. The incident might sound bad, but LG acted very professional.

Watch out for the newer models in IFB as they're no longer the same quality as they used to be earlier
Prompt replacement & accepting mistake is great. Any LG model that you suggest in 5.5 or 6kg category?

Yes, I've heard of IFB's falling quality but people at home are not ready to listen! We have ourselves experienced poor servicing standards of IFB.

Last edited by AWD : 11th November 2010 at 19:42.
Old 11th November 2010, 20:37   #1610
BANNED

AFAIK, all front loaders / fully automatic machines come with very brand specific circuitry. This can make things very tricky few years down the line - the circuit boards have to replaced as a whole, and trouble shooting / component repair would be impossible. Obtaining the boards may be a real problem.

Thad had mentioned "electro mechanical" switches/ controls. Not sure which brand / model uses them.

As for brands, I still feel - anything, but IFB.

They have a new mode, with a slightly tilted front. "juvenile" and " result of a grad school project" is what mother used to describe that. Curiously, Godrej too has a similar looking model.

And since I am still stuck with my old IFB, i would reiterate, LG is still consideration; IFB still stays out.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 11th November 2010 at 20:39.
Old 11th November 2010, 20:51   #1611
AWD
BHPian

Actually our old IFB had motor, mechanical parts failure but circuitry remained ok so far. Most people say that the digital models are prone to more failures & procuring the PCB/circuitry is sometimes difficult & also expensive, whereas the manual models are more hardy & tough. Now, I can't confirm this because have never used digital models.

The model(IFB) you are talking about seems like the front loader with angular face. That model is slightly expensive than the rest. I guess its a little easier loading into angular face.

Family is kind-off already sold out on IFB, Im keen on LG, Samsung or even Whirlpool about whose service I know nothing. I sometimes wonder, inspite of choice now in India, there seems to be no choice!
Old 11th November 2010, 21:13   #1612
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Family is kind-off already sold out on IFB, Im keen on LG, Samsung or even Whirlpool
Heh Coming from someody plonk on the driver's seat!!!

Quote:
about whose service I know nothing.
Well, service you have at your place is very crucial.

Quote:
I sometimes wonder, inspite of choice now in India, there seems to be no choice!
Yes, choice in India is very limited.

But here are the brands with frontloaders available right now. in no particular order.

Godrej, Haier, Indesit, IFB, LG, Samsung, Whirlpool, Siemens,

Haier is a Chinese brand, Indesit is said to be a European company. Then have a presence is US (acording to google), but not many have heard of them here.
Old 11th November 2010, 21:23   #1613
AWD
BHPian

IFB service has been really expensive & dubious. The engineer comes & changes something or the other everytime. Not even sure whether he supplies a new part or a used(re-winded).

With LG service experience is limited to A.C.'s which has been ok, don't know how would the case be with W.M's!

No past experience with Samsung or Whirlpool.

BTW, out of the listed brands, leaving IFB, how do Samsung, LG & Whirlpool stack up w.r.t. W.M's(front-loaders)? With special emphasis on Whirpool's a.s.s.
Old 11th November 2010, 21:58   #1614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Thad had mentioned "electro mechanical" switches/ controls. Not sure which brand / model uses them.
IIRC, Thad sir was stating that these were things of past & everything are now being replaced with electronic boards which should ideally be reliable but they aren't.

Quote:
The engineer comes & changes something or the other everytime. Not even sure whether he supplies a new part or a used(re-winded).
No, don't even have second thoughts; the parts are simply refurbished ones

Quote:
With LG service experience is limited to A.C.'s which has been ok, don't know how would the case be with W.M's!
No, they'll be fine

Quote:
No past experience with Samsung or Whirlpool.
Whirlpool A.S.S is good, but if you were looking for top loader, my first suggestion would've been Whirlpool. But go for LG since you're looking for a front loader.

Quote:
With special emphasis on Whirpool's a.s.s.
They rock; just go back few pages & I've posted 2-3 of my experiences with Whirlpool WM & refrigerator
Old 11th November 2010, 22:16   #1615
AWD
BHPian

Yes, I always felt IFB were supplying used parts as new.

So, Whirpool tops with top-loaders! Which is the best front-loader?

Don't know about Whirlpool a.s.s. Im a bit wary because their local showroom is really poor in sales. Therefore, I imagined the after sales to be reflective!

As of now Im more inclined towards LG & Samsung, more-so towards LG because of Direct drive tech. Although have felt that Samsung is superior in quality to LG, also carries higher prices compared to LG.

A question that remains un-answered, should I stick to manual(fully-auto) or opt for digital models?
Old 11th November 2010, 22:23   #1616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, Whirpool tops with top-loaders! Which is the best front-loader?
You know well @AWD, there's no single answer to anything, it all depends upon what one is looking.

Quote:
Don't know about Whirlpool a.s.s
Let me give an example; I give a call from my mobile to Whirlpool call centre & they immediately say Good morning Mr... my name correctly. I was stumbled & asked how they knew. They said, they've all my records including my address. When I said the complaint, they noted it down. 2 minutes later I get an SMS stating my complaint number; 5 minutes later I get the engineer who's supposed to attend my call & his mobile number. I'm yet to see any one home appliance company providing service like this!!!

Quote:
As of now Im more inclined towards LG & Samsung, more-so towards LG because of Direct drive tech.
Yes, that technology is good & LG was the first one to introduce followed by Samsung & I guess IFB has also brought in, not sure though.

Quote:
A question that remains un-answered, should I stick to manual(fully-auto) or opt for digital models?
What's manual fully-auto & digital models?

As far as all WM's are concerned, all of them have electronic circuits now. So that is inevitable unless you buy those semi-automatic. Go for what's available now; otherwise, get Siemens with that comes with extra ordinary price
Old 11th November 2010, 22:31   #1617
AWD
BHPian

Well, Im just looking for a W.M. that serves me good for a long time! & I know that's asking too-much!

What about Whirlpool front-loaders? Im inclined towards front-loaders because have heard that clothes last longer & in stay in better health if given the front-loader treatment.

Does Samsung also offer direct drive tech. now?

Manual models have rotary knobs & other buttons are also operated manually whereas in digital models, the input method is feather touch with LCD display.

I've left out Haier, Electrolux, Siemens, Godrej, Videocon, etc. Major choice is between LG, Samsung, Whirlpool & IFB only.
Old 11th November 2010, 22:40   #1618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, Im just looking for a W.M...that's asking too-much!
, sorry, I don't know what to say. Just buy based only on your needs & you'll never regret.

Quote:
What about Whirlpool front-loaders? Im inclined towards front-loaders because have heard that clothes last longer & in stay in better health if given the front-loader treatment.
No there's lot of myth, I strongly suggest you go back few pages & there's a healthy discussion about the pros & cons of both front & top loaders. I'm very SURE, you'll find something fruitful to your requirement.

Quote:
Does Samsung also offer direct drive tech. now?
That's what I've been told last time when we were at dealership not more than 3 months ago.

Quote:
Manual models...method is feather touch with LCD display.
Ok, so my assumption was right. You have all those knoby stuff only with semi-automatic. If you want them in fully automatic, you might get them with TOP-LOADER, especially with Videocon (I doubt on this too), Onida etc.

Quote:
I've left out Haier, Electrolux, Siemens, Godrej, Videocon, etc. Major choice is between LG, Samsung, Whirlpool & IFB only.
But, why did you include IFB in your major choice?

I know Whirlpool is not a leader when it comes to front loader, but on top loader, no thinking back. They're the only one to have the 1-2 mechanism, that's called some pulsater or agitator or some terminology that is a proven successful model in top loading segment. So I would ask you to give a thought before considering Whirlpool front loader.

So obviously its now between both the Korean products.
Old 12th November 2010, 06:37   #1619
AWD
BHPian

Well, the requirements/needs are catered by most manufacturers because they are basic, good washing & long term durability.

I did read last few pages on Top-loaders vs Front. Had it been simply myth, would have been very difficult to sustain the major price gap between the two! I do agree that Front-loaders do the job good & stand in their own right.

No I fear you wrong with the knobs/manual action. They are present in fully-automatic models too. All major manufacturers have models with manual operation & their own sales/service executives maintain that manual operation models are more reliable & last/serve longer.

Will be visiting a couple of malls today, lets see what all I get to see! Local exclusive Whirlpool showrooms attitude is pathetic.

Koreans have made their place at the top, I don't consider them any lower than Jap/American/German now!
Old 12th November 2010, 10:07   #1620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, the requirements/needs are catered by most manufacturers because they are basic, good washing & long term durability.
This is a yes-but!

Yes, but... certain features are really useful, such as quick wash, or even a very quick wash. Some models can do a quick wash as short as thirty minutes. This would be great if you have clothes which, eg, are sweaty but not actually soiled. Others have wash programs for wool or silk which are about as gentle as careful handwashing.
Quote:
No I fear you wrong with the knobs/manual action. They are present in fully-automatic models too. All major manufacturers have models with manual operation & their own sales/service executives maintain that manual operation models are more reliable & last/serve longer.
Really? I would have thought that, thee days, electronics would be far cheaper to manufacture than a complicated, motorised program switch. Will do some in-shop hands-on investigation!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee
What's manual fully-auto & digital models?
Obvious! A digital machine can only produce clothes that are clean or dirty, whereas other machines can leave an infinite scale of dirt, or none at all, on the clothes!

Seriously: It probably ought to mean that the machine is controlled by a chip[s]. It probably means that it has an LED display. Above all, it is still, after all these years, a marketing buzz word!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks