Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2008, 13:42   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
It does not dry now, the clothes come out dripping wet after drying cycle. Earlier they used to come out just moist(this is not 100% dryer). After taking out clothes there is still water in drum. I suspect the drain circuit has an issue
dripping wet? That is odd: they should be spun sufficiently to get rid of excess water. It sounds like your problem may be that the machine is not spinning properly. Does it get hot when drying? If so the drier should be ok, but on really wet clothes it won't have a chance.
Old 11th December 2008, 14:21   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
It does not dry now, the clothes come out dripping wet after drying cycle. Earlier they used to come out just moist(this is not 100% dryer). After taking out clothes there is still water in drum. I suspect the drain circuit has an issue
tsk1979: If I am not mistaken, the drain circuit in your WM must be clogged. It happens if the water is hard or due to clothe lint. This occurs over a period of years. A simple DIY, for this would be to, on a lazy day open up the panel and trace the output of your drain from the tub (a pipe). There would/could be some junctions which you might have to clean manually.

Also there is a motor that operates a shut-off valve, which essentially is a rubber diaphragm that opens when in drain mode. If there are hard scales or lint on the diaphragm , the water would not drain through properly. Clean the diaphragm and its seating areas thoroughly.

It's a very messy job, but if you are the DIY guy, bet you would have a smile on your face when you are through.

The service guys, normally suggest you to change the drain motor. which was so in my case, when I was out of the country. What they do is as they open the panel to remove the drain motor, to replace it, they also do the cleaning (the service guys used regular toilet cleaning Acid on my machine ).

These are just out of my personal experience, one word of advice though remember to tightly seal the pipes when fitting them back if possible with some rubber based sealant to avoid dripping/leaks.
Old 11th December 2008, 16:23   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
(the service guys used regular toilet cleaning Acid on my machine ).

These are just out of my personal experience, one word of advice though remember to tightly seal the pipes when fitting them back if possible with some rubber based sealant to avoid dripping/leaks.
you have a valid point. wonder what do you use the washing machine for!! no wonder it clogged and they used a toilet cleaner.
Old 11th December 2008, 18:18   #154
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I am no electrician either, but if we know the number of kilowatts that the device is rated at then we will know what stabiliser to buy for it.

In practice, it is not necessary to know even this, because unless your fridge is unusually big, it will be enough to tell a good electrical shop that you want a stabiliser for fridge. If you want to spend more on a higher-rated stabiliser then they probably will not object --- but, for fridges and AC units the time delay function is important, protecting the compressor from short cuts, it being damaging to power them off then on again quickly.
Thanks for your reply.

My fridge's specs are :

Rated Input : 107W

Ampere : 0.9

Does this require a 500VA stabilizer only ?
Old 11th December 2008, 20:55   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't know!

My suggestion is to tell the guy in the Electrical shop...
Old 11th December 2008, 21:02   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

tsk1979... Now I'm reminded that there is an outlet pump that is usually accessible at the front lower of an auto machine, maybe behind a removable panel.

The impeller can be unscrewed for cleaning. All the water in the machine will drain out, so be ready to somehow catch it. Some machines have a tube to make this easy.

If you have dogs, cats, or wash lots of soft woolens --- or even a long-haired lady or two, this impeller can get completely clogged quite quickly.

Something to check before going for the deeper DIY that Suren181 suggests. I agree with his suggestion that, for some reason, the water is not draining.
Old 11th December 2008, 21:16   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Any opinions about my query ?
Mithun, I have the Samsung and my folks have the Whirlpool. Both are fantastic refrigerators so you may go in for any one of them. Based on the usage I would suggest check the shelves and amount of bottle holders etc so that you get one which utilises the space best.

Oh, one thing which I have noticed is that in the Whirlpool vegetables stay fresher for a longer period than the samsung. And I say this by personal experience.
Old 12th December 2008, 11:05   #158
Team-BHP Support

The valve is busted. I called the guy from local repair shop, and he says due to bad water, this valve lasts max 5 years, and then has to be changed. It costs 150rs. However the labor charges are 300rs!
Old 12th December 2008, 21:24   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Rs450 is still a heap better than buying a new machine

Suren181 is pretty hot on the diagnosis!
Old 12th December 2008, 21:43   #160
Senior - BHPian

Guys i need you opinion regarding buying a new Ac- 1.5 ton split with budget - 30k max. The cooling should be really good. Suggestions please?
Old 12th December 2008, 22:03   #161
Senior - BHPian

Close your eyes and buy yourself Hitachi 1.5 split. I have one out of 4 ACs in my home and very happy with it. After that I bought a New Window AC and that too Hitachi.
Old 13th December 2008, 22:38   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

They are so expensive: better be good!

I think they are: a Hitachi cartridge unit cooled my London computer room: ran for a decade before it failed.

I have to say that I am now set against Samsung. We have three, and I don't have a problem with the units, even though they have needed attention (things go wrong; its the nature of things!) but Samsung's after-sales on our last failure was dismal.

The company they subcontract to for our area is useless, and even when they finally fixed the the thing, after several attempts, including taking both parts to their workshop twice, they have not fitted the case properly and it is now noisy. This company has no care about quality of work whatsoever; I have seldom seen such bad attitude. Given that we several times requested Samsung to send someone else, making it clear why we wanted someone else, and they refused --- I'll not buy Samsung again, nor recommend it.
Old 14th December 2008, 14:28   #163
BHPian

Quote:

I have to say that I am now set against Samsung. We have three, and I don't have a problem with the units, even though they have needed attention (things go wrong; its the nature of things!) but Samsung's after-sales on our last failure was dismal.

The company they subcontract to for our area is useless, and even when they finally fixed the the thing, after several attempts, including taking both parts to their workshop twice, they have not fitted the case properly and it is now noisy. This company has no care about quality of work whatsoever; I have seldom seen such bad attitude. Given that we several times requested Samsung to send someone else, making it clear why we wanted someone else, and they refused --- I'll not buy Samsung again, nor recommend it.
I absolutely agree with you on Samsung. The only difference being that teh products also are pathetic. My 1 ton window Ac has gone kaput twice in three years and i have already spent around 4k just repairing it. This time around I got it done from somebody my husband knows who has a carrier dealership but then obliged us by doing the samsung ac repairs too.

I would never recommend samsung to anybody. In fact while buying the AC i avoided LG but my Refrigerator from LG has worked very well. Touchwood.

I think Carrier and Hitachi are the best companies for AC's

Mansi
Old 14th December 2008, 15:44   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

What about O General?
Old 14th December 2008, 16:27   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What about O General?
O general r best but quiet expensive as well.
What do you guys think about Onida? I have read there specs and they got excellent specs fro cooling in comparison and also the compressor is from Hitachi in it.

Most Viewed