Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2011, 09:52   #1861
UKR
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
95 is for things you want sterilized. There should be no need to subject your shirts (or your electricity bill!) to this.
Thanks for pointing out Thad sir. I thought I would give them a good wash for once especially since it was being hand washed by me for around a year now. They really needed to be sterilized to bring them back to decent levels of cleanliness given the kind of hand washing that I used to do .
Old 11th January 2011, 11:52   #1862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKR View Post
Thanks for pointing out Thad sir. I thought I would give them a good wash for once especially since it was being hand washed by me for around a year now. They really needed to be sterilized to bring them back to decent levels of cleanliness given the kind of hand washing that I used to do .
I think that 80-95 is ideal for cotton sheets and towels. You achieve a crispness not there at lower temperatures. Keep in mind that towels and bed linen collect a lot of body oil and high temparature helps a lot.

Beware of using 50+ for synthetics and clothes with elastic, they will be spoilt.
Old 11th January 2011, 16:28   #1863
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think that 80-95 is ideal for cotton sheets and towels. You achieve a crispness not there at lower temperatures. Keep in mind that towels and bed linen collect a lot of body oil and high temparature helps a lot.
not really (imho ); that's what detergent is for, and it will remove all those oils at quite low temperatures. The other thing with bed clothes is that we sweat litres into them every night, but, again, it doesn't take a boil wash to get rid of that.

Boil wash is for things like nappies, where we are literally talking about cr*p!

The only other time I have used it is for washing disasters, where die has run into other clothes, but this is dangerous, as high temperature can "set" some dies and make them impossible to remove. One should try cool first.

For stuff like workshop clothes, including oil and grease from the car, or soiling from the garden, use the pre-wash function.
Old 11th January 2011, 17:04   #1864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
not really (imho ); that's what detergent is for, and it will remove all those oils at quite low temperatures. The other thing with bed clothes is that we sweat litres into them every night, but, again, it doesn't take a boil wash to get rid of that.

Boil wash is for things like nappies, where we are literally talking about cr*p!

The only other time I have used it is for washing disasters, where die has run into other clothes, but this is dangerous, as high temperature can "set" some dies and make them impossible to remove. One should try cool first.

For stuff like workshop clothes, including oil and grease from the car, or soiling from the garden, use the pre-wash function.
Wow! you really do know your washing machine(s)!!! Thanks for all the cool information on "boil wash" and other stuff. Looks like I've been using my washing machine all wrong all this time.
Old 11th January 2011, 17:24   #1865
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been living with them for over twenty years! Quite a lot of that time was as a single man living by myself too. Even now, my wife regards me as the operator of the machine: she gives stuff to the maid to handwash.

Only thing is (as discussed somewhere in this long thread) that Indian washing powder is of a much lower quality than that sold in "the west".
Old 21st January 2011, 12:49   #1866
BHPian

Hi All,

I am looking for a fully automatic washing maching with a budget of around 20k. We are a family of 4 people and my focus is on water/electircity savings.
Please recommned bansed on your experience. I am thinking of getting a front loader but all the options are open.

Regards
Krishna
Old 21st January 2011, 14:33   #1867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Hi All,

I am looking for a fully automatic washing maching with a budget of around 20k. We are a family of 4 people and my focus is on water/electircity savings.
Please recommned bansed on your experience. I am thinking of getting a front loader but all the options are open.

Regards
Krishna
I am extremely happy with my 10+ year old IFB which can set the temparature till 95 degrees. As long as you have good IFB service (which I have in Delhi) they are fine (provided you have an AMC). Else you can get an LG direct motor drive models, but these are more expensive.

Front loaders consume less water and electricity, but require dedicated plumbing as they are usually fully automatic.
Old 24th January 2011, 17:56   #1868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I am extremely happy with my 10+ year old IFB which can set the temparature till 95 degrees. As long as you have good IFB service (which I have in Delhi) they are fine (provided you have an AMC). Else you can get an LG direct motor drive models, but these are more expensive.

Front loaders consume less water and electricity, but require dedicated plumbing as they are usually fully automatic.
Thanks Aroy. Purchased LG 8068LDP from Vijay Sales yesterday. Price 18.5k. Machine was delviered in the evening but not installed yet.
The best part is the size. Its really compact compared to other brands. I will post my experience soon.
Old 24th January 2011, 17:59   #1869
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Aroy. Purchased LG 8068LDP from Vijay Sales yesterday. Price 18.5k. Machine was delviered in the evening but not installed yet.
The best part is the size. Its really compact compared to other brands. I will post my experience soon.
was there any finance scheme available?
i am planning to get one once my salary gets credited
Old 25th January 2011, 10:47   #1870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
was there any finance scheme available?
i am planning to get one once my salary gets credited
Yes. There are some 0% interest schemes available at Vijay Sales. You can check with their Baner branch.
Old 25th January 2011, 11:33   #1871
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. There are some 0% interest schemes available at Vijay Sales. You can check with their Baner branch.
Will surely check out.
Also could you mention whether you considered the LG top loading machine ?(with higher capacity). If yes, then what went against it.
Old 27th January 2011, 12:05   #1872
BHPian

Quote:
Will surely check out.
Also could you mention whether you considered the LG top loading machine ?(with higher capacity). If yes, then what went against it.
I was inclined to get a front loader so didnt consider LG top loader..front loaders are more efficient in saving water and also the wash quality is better because of the drum motion (dhobi style wash )..
Had a first wash with 8068LDP yesterday and must say that its a gem of a machine..extremely silent even while spinning at 800rmp.I guess its because of the inverter direct drive motor.I would recommend it to anyone looking for a fully automatic front loader under 20k. You can go for the 6/6.5kg but it will cost at least 5k extra.
Old 27th January 2011, 12:10   #1873
BHPian

Quote:
You can go for the 6/6.5kg but it will cost at least 5k extra.
how much did vijay sales quote for similar 6/6.5 kg one?
in case i get the finance scheme, can go for it.
Old 27th January 2011, 12:20   #1874

Go in for any Korean or Japanese brand, but please stay away from Videocon - irrespective of what Mr. S. R. Khan asserts (pun intended)
Old 27th January 2011, 14:26   #1875
BHPian

Quote:
how much did vijay sales quote for similar 6/6.5 kg one?
in case i get the finance scheme, can go for it.
Check the prices on LG Front Loader homepage. Vijay sales are quoting around 1.5k less on MRP..you can nogotiate to bring it down further
LG Front Load Washing Machines - Home Appliances

Most Viewed