Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2011, 15:08   #1951
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

I had a series of IFBs but gave up due to atrocious service, and ended up with the machine catching fire. For the past eight years I have an LG front loader and am very happy with both the performance and service. Samsung are franchising our service of late so please check.
Old 28th March 2011, 15:28   #1952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Guys, planning to buy a washing machine.

which brand is better? IFB or Samsung?
please advice
Our family has 4 IFBs. The old ones (10 year old models) are rock solid and still go good. However the recent versions quality are really bad. The service has been going down the drains day by day. I have personally stopped recommending IFB to any one. If you search this thread, there has been numerous complains against IFB and their quality.
Old 28th March 2011, 18:13   #1953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I had a series of IFBs but gave up due to atrocious service, and ended up with the machine catching fire. For the past eight years I have an LG front loader and am very happy with both the performance and service. Samsung are franchising our service of late so please check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajakumar View Post
Our family has 4 IFBs. The old ones (10 year old models) are rock solid and still go good. However the recent versions quality are really bad. The service has been going down the drains day by day. I have personally stopped recommending IFB to any one. If you search this thread, there has been numerous complains against IFB and their quality.
Thank you for clearing that up. I somehow don't like IFB but my mother is pushing for it since one of our neighbor bought it and as per them its good.

Between Samsung and LG which one is preferable? Sgiitk - which was your machine's model number?

Thank you
Old 28th March 2011, 18:33   #1954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, planning to buy a washing machine.

which brand is better? IFB or Samsung?
I have LG F1068LDP, its a 5.5 KG model costed me 19.5K in Bangalore. You may check LG1056 LDP if you want more features.
Old 28th March 2011, 19:36   #1955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I agree. The IFB is nothing to write home about, but extremely solid. My one is over 10 years old. As I have had service contract, and in Delhi it is very prompt, I have changed every thing except the body. Considering that I paid more than the cost price in AMC, all these years, I would recommend a hassle free machine with no AMC, and throw it away if it goes bad after 5 years, it is cheaper. On other hand with a lot of electronics, modern machines are really expensive if they have to be repaired.
Old 29th March 2011, 12:24   #1956
Senior - BHPian

i was looking on samsung website and difference between Front loading and top loading is huge. Almost double. Why is that?

Like a 6.5 kg front loader is Rs. 30k while similar top loader is just Rs. 17k. any pointers?
Old 29th March 2011, 12:53   #1957
BHPian

Been using the fully automatic LG Washing Machine, 5.5 Kgs., TROMM with digital display for the last 3 years with no problems or complaints whatsoever.

Listing the pros and cons as follows :

pros :
- uses less water
- uses less detergent (less lather)
- top can be used as tabletop
- ease of operation
- no visible additional drainage on electricity

cons :
- cannot add clothes in middle of cycle
- cannot use xyz detergents, only front loader specific detergents work best (as they generate less lather)

I wash expensive wollens, jackets, curtains, blankets, and even toys and pillows with very good results.

As I travel a lot and work long hours, some of the automation I have added to my kitchen have indeed made life easier for me. Am able to get good results with minimal dependencies on maids.

Some home products I vouch for are :

- LG TROMM Washing Machine
- LG Convection microwave (for unbelievable cakes and chicken tikkas)
- LG dual door refrigerator, wardrobe style
- IFB Neptune Dishwasher (for cleaning expensive chinaware and glassware without breakage)
- National Mixer Grinder (I am presently scouting for a good multi-food-processor)
- Inalsa hand blender
- Faber 4 burner Gas stove (a boon in the busy early morning hours)
- Sunflame chimney and hood

The above sound like a brand endorsement. However, I had scouted the market for weekends at a stretch, compared many products before arriving at the above set. This happened once I decided to do away with a set of 2 full time and 2 part time bullying maids, who nearly drove me mad.

Thanks to kitchen automation. Life is better. An efficient kitchen is an effective kitchen.

Last edited by Sugeeta : 29th March 2011 at 13:04.
Old 29th March 2011, 12:58   #1958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i was looking on samsung website and difference between Front loading and top loading is huge. Almost double. Why is that?

Like a 6.5 kg front loader is Rs. 30k while similar top loader is just Rs. 17k. any pointers?
Front Loaders are expensive bcos
- The outcase has a chassis frame on which the tub is suspended.
- Manufacturing Front loader tub is quite complex.
- Universal motor that run at different RPMs.
- PCB has more functions.
- Front door is electronically controlled.
Old 29th March 2011, 13:08   #1959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Front Loaders are expensive bcos
- The outcase has a chassis frame on which the tub is suspended.
- Manufacturing Front loader tub is quite complex.
- Universal motor that run at different RPMs.
- PCB has more functions.
- Front door is electronically controlled.

Thanks for the info. I has always wondered why the big differential in price. Last 3 points I had read here and there, so I knew.

First 2 are new pieces of knowledge.
Old 29th March 2011, 17:18   #1960
BHPian

Question on Dryers

Do the dryers sold for domestic use require an exhaust? I mean do they have a vent that throws out hot air? Do you need to hook up such a vent to your window or exhaust or something?
Old 29th March 2011, 20:40   #1961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
- IFB Neptune Dishwasher (for cleaning expensive chinaware and glassware without breakage)
Could you please post a small review of this machine? I am looking for one and my options are IFB, LG and Siemens. Any recommendations?
Old 30th March 2011, 11:47   #1962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnayak View Post
Could you please post a small review of this machine? I am looking for one and my options are IFB, LG and Siemens. Any recommendations?
@ gopalnayak, the IFB Neptune Dishwasher was purchased with the intent of supplementing the maid on her off days or for cleaning utensils we were wary of asking her to handle, like delicate glassware, long stemmed glasses, wine glasses etc. There had been enough breakage in the past which left us with odd nos. of glasses / chinaware per set, and each set was rendered incomplete.

The local Croma store had all three brands mentioned by you in stock. However, I was comfortable with the IFB brand since I had used one in USA during a short stay there.

The machine is good for washing lightly soiled utensils. But if you want to clean heavier utensils like pressure cookers, woks etc., it is not a very good option. Those are best scrubbed by hand as these dishwashers have not been designed keeping in mind Indian style of cooking.

Utensils like plates, spoons, bowls, glasses, cups etc. come out sparkling clean, warm and dry.

There are 2 wire mesh racks beneath which two rotating blades evenly circulate water within a stainless steel interior. A typical cycle comprises of a cleaning, rinsing and drying stage.

There are a couple of recommended cycles depending on the intensity required. We mostly use the quick 30 minute cycle.

Consumables used are of the Finish brand (available through the IFB delivery service, which I must say is very efficient). A water softening salt is refilled every few weeks. In addition, a cleaning powder is added to a slot for each batch of utensils. Another solution is used for adding sparkle to the utensils. There are indications on the control panel for refilling these consumables.

Hope this helps.
Old 31st March 2011, 12:01   #1963
BHPian

Does anyone know service centers for Singer Food Processors in Mumbai? Googling is not helping much. Do they even have a website?

Which would be the recommended food processor to buy for wet grinding and making juices.
Old 31st March 2011, 13:11   #1964
BHPian

Hi,
I'm on a look out for a table top wet grinder (tilting one). which are good ones. Looking out for quality rather than size.

Thanks,
Ramki
Old 4th April 2011, 13:27   #1965
BHPian

Re: Got it!!!

Must be around 6 months now with this washing machine, right? How is it doing? Any issues you've faced in the last 6 months?

I saw this at the e-zone yesterday and it looked pretty impressive. So, thought of checking with somebody in the fraternity who owns one!

Regards
Rex

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks