Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2011, 17:18   #2056
BHPian

Re: Et tu, Google??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Seems genuine enough. Yesterday was Google's I/O conference, and it seems to have been unveiled there. It's called 'Project Tungsten' and the same information is available on the websites of many credible newspapers.

Google to make lightbulbs and dishwashers - Telegraph
Old 11th May 2011, 17:59   #2057
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
This is May 11th; not April 1st.

And this is from the paper; not some tabloids.

See

Google 'to make bulbs and dishwashers'
This is just sensationalist reporting.

Google is not making either. Other manufacturers are embedding Android in these devices for Home automation.
Old 18th May 2011, 07:41   #2058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Guys it seems there is some problem with the Water Geyser in my house. Its a V-guard make. Right now the both the red and the green lights switch one when powered. Green one means that the power suply is there. The red one means that the heating element is working. But the water coming out is normal cold water.

Any pointer what could have gone wrong? Any DIY?
Sometimes this can happen when it trips, there is usually a small switch under the geyser, push it back and check if it works. If it has a temperature control, check the setting.

Last edited by YaeJay : 18th May 2011 at 07:45.
Old 18th May 2011, 09:44   #2059
BANNED

Talking about front loaders:

Someone using the direct drive LG machines? Are there any disadavantages/issues with the direct drive technology as i can only see positives listed by the sales guy. Also the numerous reviews that i have read about LG state that either the owners are 100% satisfied with the quality or they are not at all satisfied.

Also someone guide me on the samsung WMs. How are they when it comes to reliability?

So far the only contender i have is siemens, on which i am getting a sweet deal as my relative is a distributor but then i am not sure about their service promptness and whether their service costs are really expensive and stuff.

Since i stay in noida and the water in noida is saline so machines do require a lot of service and parts.

Here is the warranty breakdown to help you guys help me in choosing a front loader.

LG : 10 years motor and 2 years machine, someone however told me that since it is direct drive so if the motor is to be changed it will be done for free but since the drum is attached to the motor directly so the drum has to be also changed and thus i have to pay for the drum, is that correct?

Samsung : 5 years on motor (particular models only) and 2 years on machine.

Siemens : 2 years on machine and motor.

PS - My mom likes to stuff our IFB WM beyond the rated capacity and she just wont listen. So please also keep that in mind.

PPS - Companies should offer a test wash (similar to test drive) for WMs at the showrooms , Just kidding!

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 18th May 2011 at 09:46.
Old 18th May 2011, 10:16   #2060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Sometimes this can happen when it trips, there is usually a small switch under the geyser, push it back and check if it works. If it has a temperature control, check the setting.
I tried pushing that little switch but it was of no use. Called the V-Guard guys. They found that the heating element was cracked. Had to get it replaced @750 Rupees. Plus Rs 300 visiting charges. The darned thing was out of warranty.
Old 18th May 2011, 10:19   #2061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post

Someone using the direct drive LG machines? Are there any disadavantages/issues with the direct drive technology as i can only see positives listed by the sales guy. Also the numerous reviews that i have read about LG state that either the owners are 100% satisfied with the quality or they are not at all satisfied.

Also someone guide me on the samsung WMs. How are they when it comes to reliability?

So far the only contender i have is siemens, on which i am getting a sweet deal as my relative is a distributor but then i am not sure about their service promptness and whether their service costs are really expensive and stuff.

Since i stay in noida and the water in noida is saline so machines do require a lot of service and parts.

Here is the warranty breakdown to help you guys help me in choosing a front loader.

LG : 10 years motor and 2 years machine, someone however told me that since it is direct drive so if the motor is to be changed it will be done for free but since the drum is attached to the motor directly so the drum has to be also changed and thus i have to pay for the drum, is that correct?

Samsung : 5 years on motor (particular models only) and 2 years on machine.

Siemens : 2 years on machine and motor.

PS - My mom likes to stuff our IFB WM beyond the rated capacity and she just wont listen. So please also keep that in mind.

PPS - Companies should offer a test wash (similar to test drive) for WMs at the showrooms , Just kidding!

With LG quality is usually OK, but sometimes poor. At my household most of the equipment is from LG (cheaper when bought, with similar features as everyone else). Almost all of it works fine.

Coming to washing machines - I don't have a fully automatic, but two semiautomatics. - first one is 7 yrs old, and has had its share of small niggles two times, but otherwise working perfectly fine. The second one is 6yrs old, recently the plastic hoses broke down (it is placed in the balcony with constant exposure to Hyderabad sun) but otherwise there is no problem.

Hard water is not a problem if you take care of the machine properly, at both places I have the water is way harder than what you get in Noida - no problem at all so far (we do wash the machine clear of all detergent after use, and drain all the water)
vina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 11:00   #2062
BANNED

I agree with vina. Both IITK and our current residence have quite hard water. The only detrement I have found is that possibly the bearings would have lasted longer. Even now 6-7 years before bearing change is not exactly a disaster.
Old 18th May 2011, 11:12   #2063
BHPian

Quote:

I have a Siemens front loading machine (the slim version) for the past 6 years. It was bought after our first child was born. So in the initial days, we used to run 4 or 5 wash cycles per day. Even now we average more than 2 wash cycles per day.

Despite the heavy usage, it has been running great with good wash quality. We have had a few hiccups and had to call for service. The service in Bangalore has been prompt and good. However, it might be a little costly. I think it is Rs. 500/- per visit. However, they do provide a warranty on the service and don't charge if they have to visit again in the next 15 days to a month.

We also have hard water problem. It results in some clogs in the metal drum. However, a vinegar wash cycle (every six months for us) fixes it.

To sum it up: If I had to buy a front loading washing machine again, it would be a Siemens. I would not look elsewhere.

Hope that helps.
pnredkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 11:19   #2064
BANNED

Quote:
You want to wash your family's dirty linen in public?? Nice.

On a serious note, they will end up giving "dry runs" with empty drums; which will not tell us anything.

Re. your other questions, please go through last 10-15 pages of this thread. There are plenty of people who have purchased LG and samsung. And yes, siemens service is very, very, expensive, if you are out of warranty.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 11:19   #2065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I agree with vina. Both IITK and our current residence have quite hard water. The only detrement I have found is that possibly the bearings would have lasted longer. Even now 6-7 years before bearing change is not exactly a disaster.
thank you Sir; IITK water is not hard at all compared to what you get in parts of Ghaziabad (taste is bad, when I take a shower, the soap doesn't get on the body at first, and later doesn't get off) and in Hyderabad (not only hard, in the summer months it has sand and mud)

With proper care (basically, clean and dry it after use) most of the machines would just last.

One qualification on my comments though: I have insisted on semi-automatics (at Gzb I have a man-servant so that is not a problem and at Hyderabad I wash myself) for my household needs, and they are simpler designs so reliability is usually better.

That said the Perl washing machine (stainless steel cyl.) my father bought in '86 served us well all the way till 2004 - minor DIY repairs were done twice - and would have served longer. We just got tired with it after nearly two decades of use and needed something with a rinse/spinner for the winter months.

Just as a heads up, the trouble areas I have seen in washing machines (mine and my neighbours):
  1. Bushes/bearings leaking
  2. (For plastic drums) - holes in the drum
  3. valves leaking (happened to my Gzb machine)
  4. some plastic parts breaking off (sun, repeated stress ...)
  5. electric shock (with inadequate drainage, if water gets into the electricals) - usually a minor and temorary problem. Let the machine dry and it gets OK on its own. To avoid it entirely put the machine somewhere there is no chance of water accumulating under the machine.
  6. Hard water scales developing on plastic components - with steel components this doesn't happen, with plastic the adhesion is much stronger. Easily removed with mild vinegar solution (detergent is useless against scales - both are basic in nature, vinegar's acidity is what you need).
vina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 12:34   #2066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
I tried pushing that little switch but it was of no use. Called the V-Guard guys. They found that the heating element was cracked. Had to get it replaced @750 Rupees. Plus Rs 300 visiting charges. The darned thing was out of warranty.
Perhaps the prices have gone up, I have never heard of the heating element cost so much!
Old 18th May 2011, 12:51   #2067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Perhaps the prices have gone up, I have never heard of the heating element cost so much!
For washing machines it does, I had paid 700 for an IFB one 9 years back.
Old 18th May 2011, 13:38   #2068
BHPian

Quote:

We purchased F8068LDP in Jan for 18.5k. So far no issues.

Pros - extremely silent motor (even while spinning at high speed), water efficient (haven’t measured it but wastage seems minimal), excellent wash quality

Cons - Normal wash cycle is a bit long (1.5 hrs I guess) but we mostly use the quick 30min cycle

No experience with the LG A** in Pune yet.
C300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 05:13   #2069
Team-BHP Support

My IFB WM is back with the water leakage problem again. This time, the leak is so bad that the drum is not able to retain the water collected for the wash cycle to begin.

Rather than wait for the service guy to come and check, i hoisted up the machine myself and set out to check. Fault was diagnosed to a cracked rubber pipe which takes water out from the drum to the filter.

Informed customer care on Sunday, who were quite responsive. Technician took till Tuesday to call me. Since i had the issue identified, saved him one visit. He said part will come in a day, and so will come on Wednesday. He insists on coming before 5 PM, i say no one's at home till 6 PM. Lot of dilly-dallying going on.

The link from the frontend support to the backend technicians is where most companies seem to foul. IFB is no different.

As i wait for the technician to come over at his convenience, the kids clothes are piling up big time.
Old 19th May 2011, 09:21   #2070
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The link from the frontend support to the backend technicians is where most companies seem to foul. IFB is no different.
More and more firms are outsourcing maintenance to save costs. This can lead to deterioration in service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks