Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2011, 14:56   #2101
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

kitchen size does not matter - our kitchen is about 15x9 or thereabouts.

how much do you cook? We have a 2 burner stove and use medium amount of oil. If you often cook with lots of oil (i.e vapor) and are sensitive to any smells escaping - you may increase the 1000m3/h to something higher.

But a 60cm size will do just fine for you.

PS: my rates are as of may 2010.
Old 26th May 2011, 19:01   #2102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
kitchen size does not matter - our kitchen is about 15x9 or thereabouts.

how much do you cook? We have a 2 burner stove and use medium amount of oil. If you often cook with lots of oil (i.e vapor) and are sensitive to any smells escaping - you may increase the 1000m3/h to something higher.

But a 60cm size will do just fine for you.

PS: my rates are as of may 2010.
+1
We have a 4 burner range and use a lot of oil, so the chimney had to be a high suction model. I personally prefer wider 1m chimney as it can catch peripheral smoke, and comes in higher capacity. Please ensure that the chimney has the following
1. Enough capacity to store the oil caught, else it will start dripping oil within a week
2. A charcoal filter above the steel mesh, that would clean up the smells
3. A stainless steel body. The painted/enameled bodies are difficult to clean after some time
Old 26th May 2011, 19:09   #2103
Distinguished - BHPian

My Number One Chimney Hint:

Chop your onions near the stove and turn the chimney on, even if you are not just about to cook them. It sucks the fumes away and prevents tears
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 19:45   #2104
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

About chimneys, I always wonder about the need for them. I have lived in a lot of apartments in the US with chimneys - there it was absolutely necessary because none of the kitchens had windows opening to the outside. And in winters, it wasn't possible to keep windows open, even if there were windows.

However, in most of the places in India, I have never felt the need for a chimney - just windows/exhaust fans are more than sufficient.
Old 26th May 2011, 19:54   #2105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
About chimneys, I always wonder about the need for them. I have lived in a lot of apartments in the US with chimneys - there it was absolutely necessary because none of the kitchens had windows opening to the outside. And in winters, it wasn't possible to keep windows open, even if there were windows.

However, in most of the places in India, I have never felt the need for a chimney - just windows/exhaust fans are more than sufficient.
Personal experience. With Indian style cooking, if you do not have a chimney, your kitchen would soon be covered in a layer of oil! The cockroaches would soon follow. Before chimneys came we had an exhaust fan to expel the oil fumes. We have a big window next to the cooking range, still the chimney is needed.
Old 26th May 2011, 20:14   #2106
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
About chimneys, I always wonder about the need for them...
Me neither, but since we were, here, building my first ever from-scratch kitchen, we included one

Now, I wonder how I lived my life without one! Whether you fry a lot or not, simply, the kitchen smells do not affect the rest of the house
Old 26th May 2011, 22:44   #2107
BANNED

racoon - if you can, find a local repair guy to fix your m/c.

I finally turned to the local guy, and after a month, my IFB wm is still same it was when did its first run (after the repairs, that is) - touch wood!!!. When the IFB service guys left, the WM would start deteriorating within a few washes.
Old 27th May 2011, 01:20   #2108
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Thats the only option we are left with!! But the problem is I have no idea who repairs dishwashers in Poona. :( There are people who repair washing machines, but dishwashers are much less heard of...
Old 27th May 2011, 10:44   #2109
BHPian

Similar to most complaints on IFB, mine is leaking like hell as well.

After 2 or 3 Authorised repairs and outside repairs, we still have this problem repeating every few weeks. My wife is at her wits ends.

We are thinking of replacing it with a top loader (6 or 7 kgs). What are the options ?
Old 27th May 2011, 12:01   #2110
BANNED

If it is only occassional leak, chances are that it is due to excess foaming (of the detergent).

But, if it is always present, yes, there is a problem.
Old 27th May 2011, 12:06   #2111
BANNED

One small think about chimneys. I have had a Faber since 2001. If you are running a gas tandoor or something like that, then the draft created by the chimney will cool the tandoor significantly.
Old 27th May 2011, 12:16   #2112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agree, I personally feel an Exhaust fan placed directly above the cooking range is the best option, good suction and good throw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Personal experience. With Indian style cooking, if you do not have a chimney, your kitchen would soon be covered in a layer of oil! The cockroaches would soon follow. Before chimneys came we had an exhaust fan to expel the oil fumes. We have a big window next to the cooking range, still the chimney is needed.
Having used chimneys from early 90's, thats my biggest problem with chimney's, cleaning the grease. Even with the steel filters and carbon granules, cleaning it is a painful matter.
Old 27th May 2011, 12:22   #2113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
If it is only occassional leak, chances are that it is due to excess foaming (of the detergent).

But, if it is always present, yes, there is a problem.
Its always leaking. Initially it was the pipes but now its from the bottom of the washing machine. :(
Old 27th May 2011, 14:38   #2114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One small think about chimneys. I have had a Faber since 2001. If you are running a gas tandoor or something like that, then the draft created by the chimney will cool the tandoor significantly.

about chimneys

We are using Faber 1200m3 model since 2006. No problem so far. But this is not the thing we wanted to buy.
Actually I was looking for these models with centrifugal fan to throw oil on internal collection walls and collected inside some ringlike part. It is efficient, easy to clean, consumes less power and less noisy. More maintenance free

Just try to look at this Indian brand too |||||||| ELEKTRA - home ||||||||

PS: I am not related to this product, just impressed with different technology. I have seen it in person and know someone who is using it since last 5 years without any issues and happy about it.

Last edited by omishra : 27th May 2011 at 14:44.
Old 27th May 2011, 15:34   #2115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Its always leaking. Initially it was the pipes but now its from the bottom of the washing machine. :(
The leak could be happening from the water inlet pipe. The leaked water gets drained from the bottom of the machine. Otherwise it could be from the water outlet pipe (both are rubber pipes). You can find the outlet leakage through the filter opening in the WM.

Last edited by rajakumar : 27th May 2011 at 15:35.
rajakumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks