Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2011, 16:00   #2116
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

@omisra; Mine does not have the option of collecting the oil, so it has carbon filters. I must add that I have not had to change them much. twice in 10 years.
Old 27th May 2011, 16:30   #2117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@omisra; Mine does not have the option of collecting the oil, so it has carbon filters. I must add that I have not had to change them much. twice in 10 years.
This is miniscule. Does that mean it is less used or you don't fry, do "tadka" frequently? I was told yearly or half yearly changeover pattern for charcoal filters.

We being smaller family still using piped chimney which makes large humming noise rather than motor making any noise. Stainless-steel fins are cleaned on monthly basis. I find fan blades in chimney are getting clogged day by day. This will be next thing I need to correct. If you look closely, these Elektra's work differently. Power rating is very very less. That's why I am impressed.
Old 28th May 2011, 09:31   #2118
BHPian

Thanks guys for your suggestions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
+1
We have a 4 burner range and use a lot of oil, so the chimney had to be a high suction model. I personally prefer wider 1m chimney as it can catch peripheral smoke, and comes in higher capacity. Please ensure that the chimney has the following
1. Enough capacity to store the oil caught, else it will start dripping oil within a week
2. A charcoal filter above the steel mesh, that would clean up the smells
3. A stainless steel body. The painted/enameled bodies are difficult to clean after some time
Aroy,
Do u have a chimney with the above features you mentioned? Can you please let me know the brand and model you are using?

Thanks,
Ramki
Old 28th May 2011, 10:31   #2119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
+1
We have a 4 burner range and use a lot of oil, so the chimney had to be a high suction model. I personally prefer wider 1m chimney as it can catch peripheral smoke, and comes in higher capacity. Please ensure that the chimney has the following
1. Enough capacity to store the oil caught, else it will start dripping oil within a week
2. A charcoal filter above the steel mesh, that would clean up the smells
3. A stainless steel body. The painted/enameled bodies are difficult to clean after some time
1. The oil caught is mostly burnt and vapourized which then collects, is thicker and stubborn to remove, whenever you would clean it. The more it accumulates, the more stubborn it gets.

2. Charcoal filter is required to remove the odour but only if you run the chimney in internal circulation mode, for external circulation it hinders the suction power.

3. From experience, both are a mess to clean, if you do.
Old 28th May 2011, 11:02   #2120
BHPian

There are a few chimneys with "auto clean" and "oil collector" technology such as this:
:: Welcome to Kutchina ::

Anybody used this type of chimneys?
Old 29th May 2011, 10:09   #2121
BANNED

@omishra; So was I, but what is reality is what matters. We do fry and use Tadka etc. Typical North Indian usage. I do clean the metal mesh once in about two years.
Old 29th May 2011, 10:55   #2122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@omishra; So was I, but what is reality is what matters. We do fry and use Tadka etc. Typical North Indian usage. I do clean the metal mesh once in about two years.
What brand is this??

We have a faber simple design 1000 LTW60. We clean it once in 15 day, and if we don't clean it for 5-6 weeks, then the oil starts dripping down from the baffle filter.

even mesh filters need similar amounts of cleaning.

What's your secret?? Which model again?
Old 29th May 2011, 13:18   #2123
BANNED

A query allied to the chiminey.

The house is 25+ years old; but there is an exhaust fan. But it is not very efficient in the sense there is a concrete "lintel" above the LPG burners. So, air / fumes have to flow around this concrete lintel to reach the exhaust fan.

Will the chimneys we are discussing here serve the purpose?

Since a chimney of the kind we are discussing here would not work out, I was considering fabricating a sheet metal funnel to serve as chimney.

The lintel - if you do not get it, is a concrete "belt" cast just above the window, and in the Kitchen, it is extended into the room, so as to double up as a storage space. Since this slab is integrated with the building structurals, I am not very happy about demolishing or making holes in it.
Old 29th May 2011, 16:43   #2124
BHPian

looking for 185-200lts refrigerator.
budget is 10k.

Any recommendations?
Old 29th May 2011, 18:16   #2125
UKR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
A query allied to the chiminey.

The house is 25+ years old; but there is an exhaust fan. But it is not very efficient in the sense there is a concrete "lintel" above the LPG burners. So, air / fumes have to flow around this concrete lintel to reach the exhaust fan.

Will the chimneys we are discussing here serve the purpose?

Since a chimney of the kind we are discussing here would not work out, I was considering fabricating a sheet metal funnel to serve as chimney.

The lintel - if you do not get it, is a concrete "belt" cast just above the window, and in the Kitchen, it is extended into the room, so as to double up as a storage space. Since this slab is integrated with the building structurals, I am not very happy about demolishing or making holes in it.
Exactly the scenario we have in our 15 year old kitchen. We have a window just above where the LPG burners are placed. What I did was to make wooden frame and mount two normal exhaust fans on it and place the frame on the window sil. The exhaust fan used is the normal plastic one you get for around 900 rupees per piece. The whole contraption looks a bit crude with two fans sitting side by side on a wooden frame, but nothing can beat its efficiency in removing hot air and smoke. You just have to clean the fan blades once in a while and the fans can be easily replaced if required.
Old 30th May 2011, 09:13   #2126
BANNED

@phamilyman;Will check. It was bought in 2001 when Faber were just setting up shop in India. The model is definitely history by now.
Old 30th May 2011, 22:53   #2127
BANNED

UKR - what about NVH levels? My fan on a wooden frame, on he wall creates a nasty rattle.
Old 31st May 2011, 04:04   #2128
UKR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
UKR - what about NVH levels? My fan on a wooden frame, on he wall creates a nasty rattle.
I think the rattle has got more to do with the frame itself than the fan spinning. May be the fan is not fixed properly on the frame? In my case the fans are screwed tight to the frame. The only noise is that created by the fan blades moving air. I will try to get a pic of my setup when I go home this week.

Last edited by UKR : 31st May 2011 at 04:07.
Old 31st May 2011, 09:26   #2129
BHPian

An experience of buying chimney from various shops:

1. Called Faber Brand Showroom at Malleswaram (as was near to my home) on Sampige Road, went at sharp 9.45 am yesterday and still owner hasn't come. So went around to see different models. Owner came at 10 am and when asked about the prices, he was not at all bothered to tell the prices of all models and looked not interested at all!!! He just got up and walked off without even bothering to give some respect to genuine customers. This pissed me and my wify and we just walked out of the showroom.

2. Then we checked out Gilma showroom at Basaveshwaranagar and should praise this guy for handling customer beautifully. Will recommend this shop to everybody to have a pleasant experience.

Hope this helps.

Ramki
Old 1st June 2011, 13:40   #2130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
looking for 185-200lts refrigerator.
budget is 10k.

Any recommendations?
Pick from either Whirlpool or Godrej.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks