Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2009, 12:23   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

After some research and choosing between various machines, Jenny and I recently bought a Kaff dishwasher. It is made in italy and works very well. Our other choice was a Siemens.

We were able to buy Dishwasher tablets (Brand:Easy, made in UK) from Hypercity in Malad. Salt and shine liquid are available there too.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 27th January 2009 at 12:26.
Old 27th January 2009, 12:25   #212
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
After some research and choosing between various machines, Jenny and I recently bought a Kaff dishwasher. It is made in italy and works very well. Our other choice was a Siemens.
What parameters do you compare the different brands on?
How do the LG, Siemens, IFB, Haeir, Kaff differ?
Also how much did the Kaff cost?
Old 27th January 2009, 12:59   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What parameters do you compare the different brands on?
How do the LG, Siemens, IFB, Haeir, Kaff differ?
Also how much did the Kaff cost?
I'll let Jenny answer the rest..

We got a deal on the Kaff Dishwasher+cooking range+chimney hood. Because of that it came to 30K for the dishwasher.
Old 27th January 2009, 13:10   #214
BHPian

One of my neighbor recently bought a Faber dishwasher. According to him it has the facility to remember washing cycles in the event of power failure. Not sure if that features exists in other models.

Most NRIs, when they return, would buy/bring all the equipments (Washing Machine, Vacuum cleaner, Dish Washer, MW Oven, Cloth Dryer etc) they had during their stay abroad. Difference is when they also hire at least 2 maids to operate them!

Last edited by appuchan : 27th January 2009 at 13:12.
Old 27th January 2009, 13:31   #215
Senior - BHPian

We were planning to buy a dishwasher few weeks back. We checked out IFB. It appears like a younger sibling of a Washing Machine. We had few questions. The showroom person has no clue:

1. Doesn't it take a while to carefully load the utensils into the dishwasher? How much time does it take actually?
2. Can it do a quick 1 or 2 vessel wash?
Old 27th January 2009, 13:41   #216
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
We were planning to buy a dishwasher few weeks back. We checked out IFB. It appears like a younger sibling of a Washing Machine. We had few questions. The showroom person has no clue:
1. Doesn't it take a while to carefully load the utensils into the dishwasher? How much time does it take actually?
Used a dishwasher for close to 6 years. Mostly the wife loaded it, but I have also loaded it occasionally.
Shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes. Also, you should keep the vessel under running water for a couple of seconds before loading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
2. Can it do a quick 1 or 2 vessel wash?
You can do a 1-2 vessel wash - but it won't be quick. For 1-2 vessels, it would probably always make sense to hand wash it.

I have another question. Is the dishwasher just kept on the floor, or did you have to do some special thing to make
sure it doesn't shake/fall etC?

Last edited by carboy : 27th January 2009 at 13:54.
Old 27th January 2009, 15:08   #217
Senior - BHPian

Our Electrolux has served us well over 8 years already - with regular water. It does have an inbuilt heater and softener (using the salt). We've needed to repair it once - a pump repair job.

We designed the kitchen such that it fit under the counter next to the sink unit - so immediately after rinsing we can easily load it with dishes - saves a lot of effort. I believe Siemens and IFB have similar models - and these are plenty big - it serves us well for a full days worth of dishes for a family of four (we cook once a day, and mostly reheat at night, except for rice) Its a lifesaver when there's parties at home (8-15 ppl more) and there's lots more crockery taken out.

We use a Delhi brand - Chemsynth - for the detergent+salt and its available in a few stores around most of the year (so yeah, there's a bit of hoarding involved )

Most stuff we use at home had survived the dishwasher pretty well. A few glasses crack quicker, and the Hawkins Futuras stain (says the wife, at least). I'm the expert at maximising the load and can do it in under 10 minutes after a really large pileup of dishes!
Old 27th January 2009, 15:16   #218
BANNED

@carboy: As for the washing powder we had no options. Dishwasher consumables were just not available that time (at least not in Kanpur). The powder we used was a low foam one suited for front loading washing machines.

Salt is supposed to be kept full all the time. (The float rises up once the salt is near exhaustion). The water softener is a must for keeping the nozzles clean and also for the Permutit process which the dishwashers use for water softening.

Water hardness is used to set the dozer for the shine. At a low setting (soft water) you need far less of it.
Old 27th January 2009, 17:54   #219
BANNED

IFB dishwashers are good, they offer 2 models: Zypher & other one I've forgotten.
Difference is that one is digital & other is a manual unit.
Costs start from ~ 20k & go to 25k.
Old 27th January 2009, 20:28   #220
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Water hardness is used to set the dozer for the shine.
I don't understand what this sentence means?
What's shine?
What's dozer?

I have used Dishwashers for 6 years in the US. The only this I ever
used with it was a dishwasher detergent. Not a single extra thing.

I am confused as to what all these extra stuff is?
Old 27th January 2009, 20:35   #221
BHPian

I have faber dishwasher.. but we havent used it till now since we are not finding its washing liquid.. searched Bigbazar/spencer but no luck. Can someone using DW in gurgaon tell me where I can source dishwasher liquid.
Old 28th January 2009, 00:45   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu7781 View Post
I have faber dishwasher.. but we havent used it till now since we are not finding its washing liquid.. searched Bigbazar/spencer but no luck. Can someone using DW in gurgaon tell me where I can source dishwasher liquid.
There are 2 types of dishwasher detergent. Tablets and powder. Both can be used with equally good results.
In India there are a few companies (very few) that manufacture Dishwasher Powder (nobody makes tablets in India)
There are however 2 foreign companies that sell dishwasher stuff officially in India:
Finish, also called Calgonit in some european countries - makes dishwasher powder (called powerball), salt and shine liquid. Manufactured by the famous Reckitt-Beckinser, you can find it with premium RB delaers, including Big Bazaar. If BB do not have it, you can request them to order, or call the RB office in your area(head office in Gurgaon) and ask for the sales officer, who will happily inform you which dealers keep stock (exactly what I did)

The other choice is dishwasher tablets/liquid/salt from a company called EASY from the UK, also sold in India. About 235/- for 13 tablets (1 tablet for 1 wash) - we found this very expensive considering the same is available in Europe at less than a third of the price.

By the way, the company that sold you the dishwasher in India is obliged to help you source the detergent. Call them.

To answer someone else on this thread: The shine liquid is optional and adds a nice gloss to your crockery (makes no difference if you intend to put steel tapelis inside lol)
The salt is not optional and most good machines have an indicator to show that the salt is running low. The salt softens the water and prevents the formation of lime deposits and scales on the dishes and inside the machine.

Whileit is called salt, it is not the regular salt we put in out food.
Old 28th January 2009, 01:04   #223
Team-BHP Support

JetDry Rinse

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What's shine?

I have used Dishwashers for 6 years in the US. The only this I ever
used with it was a dishwasher detergent. Not a single extra thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
To answer someone else on this thread: The shine liquid is optional and adds a nice gloss to your crockery (makes no difference if you intend to put steel tapelis inside lol)
Ever noticed the JetDry Rinse bottle when you went to shop for supplies in the neighbourhood grocery store? That's your "shine".
Alternatively, white vinegar works just as well.
Old 28th January 2009, 01:12   #224
Team-BHP Support

@ Ajmat, which model of IFB do you have? There are 2 Zephyr and Neptune. One costs 22K and the 26K.

I have a bosch DW since 1995 that finally passed away last year. Looking for a replacement. Warranty wise found IFB to be the best but quality wise Siemens is leagues ahead.

After a bit of research found out that the Siemens and IFB both are imported from Turkey and use Bosch parts inside.

Sam how is the Kaff cleaning wise? Never heard of Kaff DW.

In Bangalore detergent, rinse aid liquid and the salt is not really an issue although it was difficult 4-5 years back.
Old 28th January 2009, 02:52   #225
Team-BHP Support

Note from mod: Threads merged

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks