Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2011, 19:20   #2416
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Looking to buy a 280L refrigerator(fridge) this Diwali. Which will be the best to buy. Saw few Samsung models in the rnage of 20K. Can someone point out which models I can look out in the 280L and what should be the approx price in BLR.

Regards,
Gopi
Old 7th October 2011, 09:51   #2417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Need some advice for purchasing a microwave oven.
Update: We purchased the LG MC-8081ALR on the occasion of Dussehra.

Feature include 30L convection+grill, steel finish, motorised rotisserie, 131 auto cook menus, steam cooking etc.

MRP was 15990/-, but we got a great festival discount from LG. Brought home the microwave for 12000/- only.

Also got a free cook book, 3 complimentary cookery classes, a start-up kit (set of microwave safe plastic containers) worth Rs 1799/- and a set of 3 microwave safe glass bowls.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Rohan
Old 7th October 2011, 16:03   #2418
BHPian

Just saw the TOSHIBA fridge yesterday at Hypercity of 632 litres and 570 (odd) costing Rs.66k & 57k respectively; actual price was 70 and 59 respectively. Salesman said it was the last 632 litres piece and would give me 4k discount.

Then went to Vijay sales and the 632 litre fridge was being offered at 64k.

Can someone let me know - how is toshiba *** in Mumbai. Also is ther any other place where I can get the same piece at a lower price?

Thanks

S
Old 10th October 2011, 10:49   #2419
Senior - BHPian

Dear trusted community,

Seek your help on deciding on a good washing machine. My budget is 35k max. The requirements are front loading (6kg - 7kg), solid built, solid reliability and good washing abilities. But the most important requirement: The machine should be very durable, because the WM at our home runs daily for atleast 2-3 complete cycles. Can you please advise me as to what brands should I look at?

Personally, I prefer the German brands : Siemens & Bosch. But unfortunately neither have a dedicated dealer or service center in my city. I can purchase Siemens from Croma, but it comes with a 2 year warranty only and will be serviced by Croma in case of any trouble. So I am not confident about the after market support for Siemens.

LG & Samsung come next in brand appeal, to me. I'd rather stay away from Samsung. Because already have all things Samsung at home. While most most Samsung appliances, at home, are doing an average to above average duty, the Samsung washing Machine bought in 2007 has performed the worst. Its a 5.5 kg, top loader. I must admit that its in operation daily for atleast 2 complete wash cycles, but still looks way too old for a 4 year old machine. Though it is only recently that it broke down for the first time.
The one very big plus about LG which is really pulling me towards it is that its got a massive after market support in my city, and the dealer is giving 4 years full body warranty + 10 year warrant on the direct drive motor. Can someone tell me if direct drive technology will be more robust and durable than the conventional belt based technology?

IFB, Whirlpool, electrolux: I have a very poor opinion about them. But this is not based on personal usage, but through hearsay. I'll be glad to change my opinion if someone can explain their attributes appropriately.

I need to purchase the WM in the next one week, so request you to help me make the right decision.
Old 10th October 2011, 17:50   #2420
Senior - BHPian

You can buy a larger capacity, say 8 kg and reduce the number of wash cycles. We have a regular IFB for last ten years, and on an average have 10-12 wash cycles a week.

Though IFB has its problems, the IFB service at least in South Delhi is excellent. In the ten years of ownership, the following items have been changed free, as a part of AMC
- Drum - inner
- Drum - Outer
- Motor, twice
- Vapour Lock device
- Belts and Hoses

Only the body, the electromechanical controller and the soap tray remain of the original machine.

If LG service is excellent, buy a large capacity Direct Drive model-F1480TDP25 - 8kg
http://www.in.lge.com/Microsites/DDm...klet%20low.pdf
Aroy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 05:00   #2421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post

If LG service is excellent, buy a large capacity Direct Drive model-F1480TDP25 - 8kg
+ 1. Another vote for LG Driect Drive front loader WM. It offers excellent VFM package.
C300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 07:28   #2422
Senior - BHPian

Whirlpool is a decent brand - our 6.5kg semi WM has been doing duty now for 3 years without an issue. Their service centers are also okay - but yes, nowhere as proactive, same day visits like the Samsung guys do. There are a few upset Whirlpool and many upset IFB owners on this thread
Old 11th October 2011, 11:28   #2423
BHPian

Our 15 years (approx) old TVS Electronics (now Whirlpool) top loading washing machine has broken down for the first time. The machine broke down while running, and now does not switch on at all. I suspect the circuit board to be faulty.

Problem is that this model is not being manufactured anymore. Any idea what could be the problem, or where can I get it serviced (or looked at) in Hyderabad.
Old 11th October 2011, 11:45   #2424
Senior - BHPian

Guys, can anyone provide me contact info of somebody at higher position in Kenstar? I guess its owned by Videocon now.

Their customer service sucks big time. Looks like there is a big disconnect between their service center and the customer care. For last 3 months their service engineer is coming to my home to fix broken hand blender
Old 11th October 2011, 11:48   #2425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Dear trusted community,

Seek your help on deciding on a good washing machine. My budget is 35k max. The requirements are front loading (6kg - 7kg), solid built, solid reliability and good washing abilities. But the most important requirement:

The one very big plus about LG which is really pulling me towards it is that its got a massive after market support in my city, and the dealer is giving 4 years full body warranty + 10 year warrant on the direct drive motor. Can someone tell me if direct drive technology will be more robust and durable than the conventional belt based technology?

I need to purchase the WM in the next one week, so request you to help me make the right decision.
Quote:
You can buy a larger capacity, say 8 kg and reduce the number of wash cycles. We have a regular IFB for last ten years, and on an average have 10-12 wash cycles a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
+ 1. Another vote for LG Driect Drive front loader WM. It offers excellent VFM package.
My vote goes for the LG DirectDrive too. We have the LG F1203CDP 6kg/3kg washer/dryer combo at home for the last 2 years, does about 10-12 wash cycles per week. Works like a charm, and silently at that. I saw the same piece in Croma a month back, their tag price was 36K (It will be cheaper post-negotiation).

My sis-in-law last month purchased the 8kg/4kg variant of the same machine, the LG-F1403YD25. She mentioned that the tag for that machine was 44K. She paid 40K after discount.

My mom-in-law actually got the best machine in the series, the LG-F1480YD25. My wife and sis-in-law gifted it to her on her birthday last week. It is a 8kg/6kg washer-dryer combo. Cost: 46K.

My suggestion is the same as Aroy's. Buy a larger machine and reduce the wash cycles. This will save you time, power, detergent (FL WM detergent is expensive), and increase your WM's life as well.

If you can, try and stretch your budget and get the LG-F1480YD25 8kg/6kg washer/dryer that my mom-in-law got. The 6kg dryer is a large plus; you can set 6kg of clothes to wash and dry in a single cycle. In our 6kg/3kg, we can hardly do that, as we seldom have less than 3kg of clothes to wash.

Else, if you feel 46K is too much, go for the LG-F1403YD25 8kg/4kg washer/dryer.

LG service is prompt and responsive, I say this from first-hand experience.

The good part about LG is that they have separate engineers for premium devices like washer-dryers and DWs. I found out about this after I talked to one of the engineers who came to my place. Except him (i.e. the person at his post), no other engineer is allowed to service these machines, as according to him, these machines are complex and need expert technicians to work on them.

Sometimes you do come across engineers who are lazy bums, like the one who currently attends to complaints in my area. But matters can be escalated and quickly resolved.

The 10 year warranty on the DD motor is standard, as provided by LG. The entire machine will be covered by a 2-year comprehensive warranty from the date of purchase. If your dealer is offering 4 years, ask him about the details of the extra 2 years, whether it is a dealer warranty or manufacturer warranty, and what are the T&C for the same.

As for your query about the DD motor, look at it this way: If LG is so confident about DD technology that they can offer a 10-year warranty on it, then there is definitely something very robust and durable about it. It means that they believe in the quality and durability of their product to the extent that they think it will last for atleast 10 years without any trouble. The warranty offered is only for our, the buyers', peace of mind.

Whatever you buy, stay away from IFB. There are like a million horror stories about their A.S.S on sites like MouthShut, enough to put anybody off that brand for good.

All the best for your purchase.

- Bullitt
Bullitt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 12:27   #2426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
My vote goes for the LG DirectDrive too. .

As for your query about the DD motor, look at it this way: If LG is so confident about DD technology that they can offer a 10-year warranty on it, then there is definitely something very robust and durable about it. It means that they believe in the quality and durability of their product to the extent that they think it will last for atleast 10 years without any trouble. The warranty offered is only for our, the buyers', peace of mind.

Whatever you buy, stay away from IFB.

- Bullitt
Thanks guys! I feel more confident about LG now. Have made up my mind to buy LG.
Also the reason we run 2-3 cycles a day at our home is because of the nature of clothes and not necessarily due to the amount of clothes. Like clothes are washed together. So I think a 7 kger will do just fine.

The Washer/dryer combo does appeal to me. But we have a separate 6kg IFB dryer already with us. This was purchased about 3-4 years back. Its basically put into use in the foggy months of Dec/Jan only, when drying clothes naturally is an absolute disaster - what with all day fog and freezing temps are rounded up by western disturbances induced rains.

That said, while I preview IFB negatively, I forgot that we have one well performing IFB at home. But still LG it is.
Old 12th October 2011, 10:15   #2427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Thanks guys! I feel more confident about LG now. Have made up my mind to buy LG.
Also the reason we run 2-3 cycles a day at our home is because of the nature of clothes and not necessarily due to the amount of clothes. Like clothes are washed together. So I think a 7 kger will do just fine.

The Washer/dryer combo does appeal to me. But we have a separate 6kg IFB dryer already with us. This was purchased about 3-4 years back. Its basically put into use in the foggy months of Dec/Jan only, when drying clothes naturally is an absolute disaster - what with all day fog and freezing temps are rounded up by western disturbances induced rains.

That said, while I preview IFB negatively, I forgot that we have one well performing IFB at home. But still LG it is.
Do also check the Cycle time just in case you need to run mutiple cycles, Front loaders have higher cycle times. Brandwise LG is good, overall.
Old 12th October 2011, 12:12   #2428
BHPian

Guys,

Wan't to exchange my 8 month old Sony 22' Bravia LCD with some samsung 32'/4x' range models. Would i get a good exchange rate? Any best places to buy/exchange?
Old 12th October 2011, 13:09   #2429
Distinguished - BHPian

Ramki, I am not sure you will get a fair rate in exchange. Why dont you use it at home / for parents ?
Old 17th October 2011, 22:55   #2430
BHPian

hi guys - quick and simple question. I am looking to buy a new 550-600l refrigerator that is an upgrade from my 315l videocon (which is still going brilliantly after 10 years FYI).
Here's the problem - my current refrigerator has a bottom vegetable tray, which serves well for me and my wife (both working), since we buy groceries once a week.

It seems to me that all the refrigerators in the market have taken the 600l refrigerator space and not given me spacious vegetable trays. Am I mistaken ? Lets say I want to store 6kg of vegetables that includes leafy vegetables (takes up more space) - does a double door refrigerator or a side-by-side one have veggie capacity to accomodate me ?

Which ones should I go for ? The ones who make 3 door refrigerators do not go above 430 l.

thanks!!

Most Viewed