Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2011, 00:31   #2431
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

We have to buy three home appliances for the family.The priorities are
Microwave oven
Washing machine (existing one is of 9 years old to be replaced.)
Refrigerator (existing one gives noise even after service(7 years old)
Fellow members can just recommend one each only with in moderate budget.
Old 18th October 2011, 01:53   #2432
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Microwave oven
How much exactly is a moderate budget?

Anyway, for microwave ovens, this is my advice.

90% of people use microwaves only to reheat.
So just buy a 3000-4000 Rs Microwave - that should be enough for 90% of people. Only thing I check while buying a microwave is how big a plate can I fit into it.
Old 18th October 2011, 08:07   #2433
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Microwave oven
Sharing my experience with Microwave and Refrigerator since we bought both in the past few months and happy with the decisions since we did significant research before deciding (however your needs may not be the same):
Microwave - LG model MC-7687AB. 26 litre convection oven. MRP was Rs.11950, paid discounted price Rs.10000

Refrigerator - Whirlpool model FF41 (2 door frost free, 405 litre capacity, Whirlpool Professional series). MRP was approx. 32000, paid discounted price Rs.27000

For washing machine I would suggest you look at LG, Samsung, Whirlpool, IFB, Siemens and then decide (I have an IFB machine bought in 2007).
Hope this helps.
Old 18th October 2011, 09:12   #2434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbyte View Post
hi guys - quick and simple question. I am looking to buy a new 550-600l refrigerator that is an upgrade from my 315l videocon (which is still going brilliantly after 10 years FYI).
Here's the problem - my current refrigerator has a bottom vegetable tray, which serves well for me and my wife (both working), since we buy groceries once a week.

It seems to me that all the refrigerators in the market have taken the 600l refrigerator space and not given me spacious vegetable trays. Am I mistaken ? Lets say I want to store 6kg of vegetables that includes leafy vegetables (takes up more space) - does a double door refrigerator or a side-by-side one have veggie capacity to accomodate me ?

Which ones should I go for ? The ones who make 3 door refrigerators do not go above 430 l.

thanks!!
Keep the old one, and get another 300-400L. I use two - one for daily use one for long term storage. In my opinion two refrigerators are better than one
. Long term one maintains better temperature, hence goods stay fresh longer
. You get redundancy
. You can maintain one at lower temperature and one at relatively higher temperature

The only downside is that you require more floor space (in my case two are on two different floors, hence no problems)
Old 18th October 2011, 09:19   #2435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Microwave oven
Please mention your approximate budget for each appliance.

Also mention your typical usage for each appliance and number of members in your family.

Microwave - whether you need it for cooking and reheating, or do you plan to use it for grilling and baking as well.

Washing machine - whether you need top loading or front loading

Refrigerator - what capacity are you looking at

Rohan
Old 18th October 2011, 11:35   #2436
BHPian

I'm also looking for a top loading washing machine for my parents with a budget of around 10-12k in Hyderabad. What brands/models are good in top loading washing machines?

They were using a TVS Electronics top loader for the last 15 years with no issues (till now).
Old 18th October 2011, 12:00   #2437
Senior - BHPian

[quote=rohan_iitr;2548935]Please mention your approximate budget for each appliance.

Regular Members in our family is 5 and occasional members 12. Gathering of all there sons family twice in a month.

So for using Automatic top loading WM. Which ever better with 12k to 15k for Washing Mach can be suggested.(existing one top loading whirlpool 6th sense)

Refrigerator two door 300 to 400 lts upto 10 to 12k(Present one Whirlpool with fan noise)

Microwave for all purpose up to 15k9 (So far we don't have)
Old 19th October 2011, 08:09   #2438
BHPian

[quote=navan49;2549197]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Please mention your approximate budget for each appliance.

Regular Members in our family is 5 and occasional members 12. Gathering of all there sons family twice in a month.

So for using Automatic top loading WM. Which ever better with 12k to 15k for Washing Mach can be suggested.(existing one top loading whirlpool 6th sense)

Refrigerator two door 300 to 400 lts upto 10 to 12k(Present one Whirlpool with fan noise)

I have myself been user of whirlpool refrigerator for long, and though we changed for size reason, there was also this big time noise there all the time

had a terrible experience with fully the whirlpool front loader washing machine too

~ changed the fridge to Panasonic (has the freezer section at the bottom).
~ changed the WM to IFB front loader wash n 100% dry with steam wash. all going great so far

however, consider Siemens and Bosh too..they are engineering masterpieces,

Yes, Bosh has made a direct entry to the market
Products

their value gets revealed over the years..
Old 19th October 2011, 09:37   #2439
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

[quote=Anupam;2550255]
Quote:

I have myself been user of whirlpool refrigerator for long, and though we changed for size reason, there was also this big time noise there all the time......

~ changed the fridge to Panasonic (has the freezer section at the bottom).
What is Whirlpool used to be Kelvinator / Leonard / Gem once upon a time. All this musical charis ebcame necessary once Kelvinator decided to enter India. Kelvinator/Zanussi/Electrolux are all their labels.

I had a freezer at the bottom 3-door from Zanussi during 1989 till about 2003. Did not survive our voltage (one compressor had to be changed) and maids (broke the hinge on the middle chamber). Freezer at the bottom (with drawers for everything) is ergonomically more sound.

Strictly speaking with the single door units the freezer had to be at the cold, since the rest was cooled by convection. With 2-doors this was no longer necessary.
Old 19th October 2011, 10:23   #2440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

For microwave, choose convection model, 30 litres or higher. LG, Samsung, IFB may be considered. I have recently purchased LG 30L convection model and happy with it.

For refrigerator, you would need to increase your budget by another 5k. Again LG and Samsung are reliable brands. I use a Samsung refrigerator and its operation is very silent. Check for energy efficiency star rating.

Top loading washing machine, go for 6 Kg or higher. LG and Samsung are VFM brands, Whirlpool would be slightly expensive. I have a Samsung 6 Kg top loading machine, but find it to be very noisy. My friend has a LG top loading machine and it is very silent.

Rohan
Old 19th October 2011, 12:48   #2441
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Rogan Sgiitk and Anupam. I am keeping in all your points in mind and checking the products in the web. I have shortlisted the manufacturers as Microwave convection model LG or Samsung, Refrigerator Either LG or Samsung and Finally WM I have to check Heier too along with IFB and Whirlpool.
Old 19th October 2011, 17:49   #2442
Senior - BHPian

Siemens were selling their front load washing machines under "Sumeet" brand, discontinued 10 years ago. IFB is Bosh is collaboration.

IFB was excellent, but recently they have changed a lot of their designs and body, hence are not sturdy. My ten year old IFB runs fine, but new ones have problems. Though I have no experience with LG, forum members who have bought the direct drive inverter model are extremely happy.

If you are only going to re-heat in a microwave, the lowest cost LG or Samsung are good enough. For cooking, depending on what you cook, a grill and a rotisserie can prove useful. In that case buy the largest size you can afford.

In case you have space, my personal preference is to keep two refrigerators. One for day to day use and another for medium to long term storage. Two 250L frost free are much lower in price than a single 500L. I had an Alwyn for 20 years, added a BPL Sanyo which ran for 15 years. Replaced Alwyn with a Whirlpool 400L and later replaced the Sanyo with a Whirlpool 250L. Both the older refrigerators were going strong when I disposed them off.
Old 19th October 2011, 21:23   #2443
BHPian

Could anybody from Bangalore inform me where do i get wholesale Home appliances in bangalore. Is it somewhere near Majestic,don't know where..BVK Iyengar Road is for electrical appliances, how about home appliances?
Also, when searching for gas stoves in net, i came across, a granite top gas stoves from a product called "Clix". They are basically a PKL(Primus Kabsons Limited) Limited brand. How is this brand. They are the only brand offering Granite top Gas stoves. Wow!!!

Last edited by ramki067 : 19th October 2011 at 21:51.
Old 20th October 2011, 09:03   #2444
Senior - BHPian

I have purchased LG convection microwave oven 2 weeks back. We have been using it in all the modes (m/w, grill and convection) to prepare different items.

Yesterday we were using it for baking (convection mode). We preheated the oven at 250C and then set the timer to bake the dish for 10 minutes.

But after about 9 minutes, the microwave oven suddenly stopped working, the heating, display etc everything just stopped working. It was as if the power has been disconnected.

Being an electronics engineer, I suspected that the appliance must have some sort of fuse to prevent overheating. So I waited for 5-10 minutes for it to cool down and then tried to start it again. But it just won't start.

Finally I called up LG customer care and reported the problem. Then after half an hour, I switched it on again. This time, it started working.

Can someone tell me what happened ?

Rohan
Old 20th October 2011, 10:54   #2445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I have purchased LG convection microwave oven 2 weeks back. We have been using it in all the modes (m/w, grill and convection) to prepare different items.

Yesterday we were using it for baking (convection mode). We preheated the oven at 250C and then set the timer to bake the dish for 10 minutes.

But after about 9 minutes, the microwave oven suddenly stopped working, the heating, display etc everything just stopped working. It was as if the power has been disconnected.

Being an electronics engineer, I suspected that the appliance must have some sort of fuse to prevent overheating. So I waited for 5-10 minutes for it to cool down and then tried to start it again. But it just won't start.

Finally I called up LG customer care and reported the problem. Then after half an hour, I switched it on again. This time, it started working.

Can someone tell me what happened ?

Rohan

hi Rohan - I'm really looking to get a convection microwave that I can use for baking at 250C (baking enthusiast!!). But I have not read any experience/reviews that actually put the convection part through its paces... except you!

I was looking to get a LG one, but your experience seem to indicate that there is some fundamental problem - please keep us updated on your experience.

Most Viewed