Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2011, 17:19   #2461

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
All microwave ovens work in a similar manner (in convection mode). There is a heating element (typical on the top) and there is a fan (typically on the side), which circulates the hot air.

I googled for information regarding convection oven and it seems that if we are using convection mode (which bakes the dish by circulating hot air), the same dish can be prepared at lesser temperature and/or in lesser time as compared to a conventional oven (OTG).

Hence you would not need to use the maximum temperature for a long time, when using convection mode.

I still feel that if your primary requirement is baking, you should go for an OTG, not a microwave oven.

Rohan
hi Rohan - following up on this.... did you give a large clearance at the back of the oven (which has the fan exhaust). I read that convection ovens (not just the combination microwave ovens) need a large clearance.

Secondly, are you able to use the convection feature at a temperature less than 250 (say 230) for a long period of time. I'm planning on getting the exact same model as you - 8081 - so am curious.

thanks buddy!
Old 22nd October 2011, 21:19   #2462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon009 View Post
Hi i am planning to buy a Washing machine this dipawali. Need you valuable input:
1. Any advantage of it being a front loader?
2. Which brand should i go for?

Budget withing 12k.
refer to my earlier post on this very thread on IFB wash n dry with steam 9 kg

IFB faced some transitions issues few years back, their operations have stabalized now.

I am using the said machine for a year now and is going smooth. the product, I guess is commercially launched now

one word of caution - indian families prefer to dry clothes on the wire line, they dont really go for the 100% dry option, unless there is once in a year incident where the dry cloth is needed in the next hour

also, do keep a tab on Bosch too.. they have launched locally now, without any tie up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
I'm also looking for a top loading washing machine for my parents with a budget of around 10-12k in Hyderabad. What brands/models are good in top loading washing machines?

They were using a TVS Electronics top loader for the last 15 years with no issues (till now).
top loading, Panasonic has been the king through ages
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
I'm also looking for a top loading washing machine for my parents with a budget of around 10-12k in Hyderabad. What brands/models are good in top loading washing machines?

They were using a TVS Electronics top loader for the last 15 years with no issues (till now).
top loading, Panasonic has been the king through ages
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
What is Whirlpool used to be Kelvinator / Leonard / Gem once upon a time. All this musical charis ebcame necessary once Kelvinator decided to enter India. Kelvinator/Zanussi/Electrolux are all their labels.
yes we had Kelivinator earlier (remember the tag.penguins walking ."it's the coolest one")

even Allwyn was quite popular in those days

no direct experience of Leonard / Gem, but offcourse have seen them around plenty

whirlpool fridge and the WM was a mess, glad to have picked up what we picked

next time will probably try Sharp or GE

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd October 2011 at 09:23.
Old 23rd October 2011, 08:42   #2463
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I am in the market for a 2-door ( Not side by side) fridge.

Capacity anywhere between 240L to 285L. I would like to go with either an LG or Samsung primarily because of their reliability and excellent A.S.S
I went through a similar situation so sharing here:
With 2 door (read frost free) refreigerators, please note that total capcity is inclusive of both the refrigerator and freezer and the freezer usually takes up 40% of the capacity. Unless you have a need for such a large freezer I would suggest you look at an alternative like Whirlpool since their freezer sizes are usually a smaller, say about 25-30% of total capacity. Hence I went for Whirlpool FF41 (405 litre) after initally looking at LG & Samsung. Whirlpool service is good too and they make their own compressor (it's the same old Kelvinator with a new name).

Hope this helps.
Old 24th October 2011, 09:54   #2464
BHPian

Would like to exchange my old wet grinders with a tilt model preferably a 2 liter model. We are a family of 4. I've heard brands like Sowbhagya, Ultra Grinder+, Vijaylakshmi, etc but don't know which one is reliable, good and ease to use. Please suggest me a good 2 liter tilting wet grinder to buy in bangalore.

Thanks,
Ramki.

Last edited by ramki067 : 24th October 2011 at 09:57.
Old 24th October 2011, 14:42   #2465
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally, the search for a new fridge ended last weekend. I was looking at bottom freezer's for ease of convenience for lady folks since veggie tray will be on top.

There was a Panny which had a bottom freezer and costed 26K and I liked the way it looked too and almost picked up but, decided against it purely for reasons of A.S.S

Of the several fridges that I saw, noticed Samsung exterior quality is excellent and in particular liked their steel finish gray colour. But, their interiors are :
A) less in space and depth
B) no separate chiller for milk storage
C) No air cooled doors. Air is cooled via only from back side whereas LG has back side, interior sides and also via doors.

Hence, I decide to go for LG (350 Litres) which has loads of interior space and above mentioned features.

Price: Paid 24K ( Negotiated from 31K MRP) for it.

P.S : Sales guy even threw in a nice designer type bed sheet worth 1K or more as a gift !!!
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-img20111022594.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 24th October 2011 at 14:45.
Old 26th October 2011, 13:25   #2466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Finally, the search for a new fridge ended last weekend. I was looking at bottom freezer's for ease of convenience for lady folks since veggie tray will be on top.

There was a Panny which had a bottom freezer and costed 26K and I liked the way it looked too and almost picked up but, decided against it purely for reasons of A.S.S

Of the several fridges that I saw, noticed Samsung exterior quality is excellent and in particular liked their steel finish gray colour. But, their interiors are :
A) less in space and depth
B) no separate chiller for milk storage
C) No air cooled doors. Air is cooled via only from back side whereas LG has back side, interior sides and also via doors.

Hence, I decide to go for LG (350 Litres) which has loads of interior space and above mentioned features.

Price: Paid 24K ( Negotiated from 31K MRP) for it.

P.S : Sales guy even threw in a nice designer type bed sheet worth 1K or more as a gift !!!
I see its 5 star rated, what are the power consumption/requirements of this model.

Does it run on 1MW backup power provided in apartments, reason is that I know that a similar capacity Whirlpool doesnt.
Old 28th October 2011, 21:05   #2467
BHPian

Yesterday bought LG MC-7880PSR from Ezone for 12K. Got some vessels for Microwave cooking free. No other freebies
Old 29th October 2011, 11:03   #2468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalini_g View Post
Yesterday bought LG MC-7880PSR from Ezone for 12K. Got some vessels for Microwave cooking free. No other freebies
It is good for a medium family. I was looking for 8082 due to the size and the more auto cooking conversion model. Unfortunately it was not in stock with the dealer where I purchase. His offer was so good that was Rs. 13700. We had billed for that and wanted to take delivery and at that time when he called his ware house it was known that the particular model was not there.Now waiting for the stock.
Old 30th October 2011, 13:55   #2469
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know which Ovens are being used in Master Chef India Kitchen, they have masked the brand and hence cannot tell, unless you can recognize it by the face of it. They look really neat stacked on the side.
Old 31st October 2011, 12:22   #2470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys View Post
hi Rohan - following up on this.... did you give a large clearance at the back of the oven (which has the fan exhaust). I read that convection ovens (not just the combination microwave ovens) need a large clearance.

Secondly, are you able to use the convection feature at a temperature less than 250 (say 230) for a long period of time. I'm planning on getting the exact same model as you - 8081 - so am curious. thanks buddy!
Sorry for the late reply, I was out of station. I have left sufficient clearance behind the oven (roughly 6 inches).

We don't use the convection mode very often. We have used the convection mode only on a few occasions, so can't comment on how long the oven can be used at certain temperatures. The LG technician mentioned that it shouldn't be used at max temperature for long time. But my guess is that if you are operating at 20 degrees lesser than the max temperature, it should be possible.

If you are buying the oven primarily for baking, my advice would be to go for OTG.

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 31st October 2011 at 12:25.
Old 31st October 2011, 12:27   #2471
BHPian

Quote:

Secondly, are you able to use the convection feature at a temperature less than 250 (say 230) for a long period of time. I'm planning on getting the exact same model as you - 8081 - so am curious.

thanks buddy!
I have a 1 yr old samsung 28L Microwave + Convection oven and i use it @ 220 C for almost 1.5 hrs for baking on every alternate day. I hope that helps. Will find out more details (Model num etc) if u want
Old 31st October 2011, 13:42   #2472
Senior - BHPian

The LG technician who came for demo mentioned no such thing about not using convection mode on max for long durations. Nor is it mentioned in the manual. IIRC, the oven has since been used at max temp for over 30 mins at least. Its over a year old now.

If it should not be used at max temp for long, it should not have been possible to do so. Or at least it should be mentioned in the manual. So its either not true, or LG is an unprofessional company.

Last edited by Raccoon : 31st October 2011 at 13:43.
Old 31st October 2011, 15:58   #2473

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon009 View Post
I have a 1 yr old samsung 28L Microwave + Convection oven and i use it @ 220 C for almost 1.5 hrs for baking on every alternate day. I hope that helps. Will find out more details (Model num etc) if u want
falcon009 - thanks for the reply. Yes please, I would appreciate some details of the model number, etc.
Old 31st October 2011, 16:00   #2474

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Sorry for the late reply, I was out of station. I have left sufficient clearance behind the oven (roughly 6 inches).

We don't use the convection mode very often. We have used the convection mode only on a few occasions, so can't comment on how long the oven can be used at certain temperatures. The LG technician mentioned that it shouldn't be used at max temperature for long time. But my guess is that if you are operating at 20 degrees lesser than the max temperature, it should be possible.

If you are buying the oven primarily for baking, my advice would be to go for OTG.

Rohan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
The LG technician who came for demo mentioned no such thing about not using convection mode on max for long durations. Nor is it mentioned in the manual. IIRC, the oven has since been used at max temp for over 30 mins at least. Its over a year old now.

If it should not be used at max temp for long, it should not have been possible to do so. Or at least it should be mentioned in the manual. So its either not true, or LG is an unprofessional company.

either it is some difference in model number, or there is something else that is the problem. Because I have never heard of a oven not able to handle its max rated temperature (which is actually much lower that its real max temperature)
Old 31st October 2011, 16:39   #2475
BHPian

Quote:
falcon009 - thanks for the reply. Yes please, I would appreciate some details of the model number, etc.
This is the one i have Samsung CE1031-B Combination Microwave and Grill - Black.
I have even used it for 250 for more than an hour at least.

Most Viewed