Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2012, 15:12   #3361
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I had a washer/dryer from 1989 till about 2000. There are two flaws - the drying weight is half that allowed for washing, and drying consumes a lot of power.
Power consumption was something that I was pondering on when I went through the specs. The specs sheet does not say anything on the website. That indicates that this should be quite a lot of watts. Any indicative figures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I have a second hand experience
Not sure about the exact model but a colleague bought a LG Washer + Dryer priced in the mid 40k range. For 100% drying though, he said the machine took ages (some 4 hours or so). It was not a defective piece or anything and even the sales guys were not aware of the dry time. Eventually he got it exchanged to a normal WM which needs line drying after the spin cycle.

Yes. I read about the 4 hours on mouthshut as well.
Coupled with the high power consumption, this would mean spending a lot for drying.
Now I know why these models are hardly seen in the showrooms.
Old 14th December 2012, 15:52   #3362
Distinguished - BHPian

After waiting for so many days and also after committing to Glen and in these days of consumer being king, I was chasing them to get it fitted. What the heck !!!

Glen fella confirmed he'll fit the chimney yesterday. He didnt turn up and didnt even bother to call me.

I siezed this opportunity and immediately changed my mind and went with my back-up who is also known to me from Planet and was getting a slightly better deal

Paid up-front and will get the Planet Chimney + Stove fitted tomorrow.

Planet chimney comes with a 1100 cu.ft suction power compared to 1000 cu.ft from Glen and at a cheaper price.

Whew, enough of it.

I never spend so much time buying my cars and bikes
Old 14th December 2012, 22:01   #3363
Distinguished - BHPian

I had one in UK a long time back, and yes, the drying, to wearable dry, takes hours and lots of electricity.
Old 15th December 2012, 09:48   #3364
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Power consumption was something that I was pondering on when I went through the specs. The specs sheet does not say anything on the website. That indicates that this should be quite a lot of watts. Any indicative figures?
I think the peak load is about 3kW and total time is about 3 hours. It is not 3kW all the time. The better ones also cool down the clothes towards the end by just running in air while tumbling. This tends to reduce the creasing of the clothes.
Old 19th December 2012, 18:17   #3365
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have experience with Sharp top loading washing machine? I am currently searching for a top loading in 20k budget, and this one seems interesting.

http://www.sharpproducts.in/productd...x?cid=15&id=35
Old 20th December 2012, 09:12   #3366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Does anyone have experience with Sharp top loading washing machine? I am currently searching for a top loading in 20k budget, and this one seems interesting.

http://www.sharpproducts.in/productd...x?cid=15&id=35
Are you looking for such a high rating washing machine. I would suggest you also check out the Whirlpool ones, only they have the built in heater with more wash options.

I can see that Sharp w/m has ABS, you cant go wrong.
Old 20th December 2012, 11:08   #3367
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Thanks for the reply.

Checked the Sharp Washing Machine yesterday. It has only 2 years warranty, whereas some models in Samsung and LG have 2 years warranty on machine and 10 years warranty on motor. Also, the ABS body is not 'confidence inspiring'. So dropped Sharp from the list.

We checked Samsung options, and found this one to be good:

http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/h.../WA85BWMEH/XTL

It has 10 years warranty on motor. Does this wobble technology works?
Old 20th December 2012, 11:26   #3368
BANNED

I have an LG, and have had one for nearly a decade. Now with Samsung service outsourced that may be an issue. I have had no problems with LG service - except the 1800 no may not be working. e-mail or calling up the local guys gets a fast response. As a friend puts it, they seem to be just waiting for a call.
Old 20th December 2012, 11:59   #3369
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have an LG, and have had one for nearly a decade. Now with Samsung service outsourced that may be an issue. I have had no problems with LG service - except the 1800 no may not be working. e-mail or calling up the local guys gets a fast response. As a friend puts it, they seem to be just waiting for a call.
LG Service is really incomparable. I phoned 7 pm one day and registered my complaint. I got a call back from the local LG Service Guy by 10 am next morning. And he was in my house by afternoon.
Old 20th December 2012, 12:05   #3370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
IIRC this Samsung w/m is belt driven. Are you sure the motor comes with 10 yrs warranty. Havent heard of any manufacturer providing the warranty for that long on a top loading one. Front loading I can agree.
Old 20th December 2012, 12:08   #3371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Are you sure the motor comes with 10 yrs warranty.
For this samsung machine I am sure, because I checked and rechecked again for the 10 years warranty. For LG, I am not sure whether they give such long warranty on top loading ones. Need to check.
Old 20th December 2012, 12:20   #3372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher

For this samsung machine I am sure, because I checked and rechecked again for the 10 years warranty. For LG, I am not sure whether they give such long warranty on top loading ones. Need to check.
I just got a Samsung top loading which also has a 10 year motor warranty. One of the things that helped decide on this machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher

http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/h.../WA85BWMEH/XTL

I have the same machine or a very similar one with 3d wobble technology. The wobble technology means there is a mechanism at the bottom which creates some currents such that the clothes are not just moved side to side but also from top to bottom. I can't comment on how good or bad it is , but we had a whirlpool white magic earlier and this one seems comparable may be a tad better too.
Btw I got it at a price of 17k.

Last edited by deep_bang : 20th December 2012 at 12:25.
Old 21st December 2012, 12:53   #3373
Senior - BHPian

^Those looking for washing machines from Godrej, Whirlpool and IFB, do keep an eye on Indiatimes shopping site. They have regular discounts/ offers.

However since none of these three brands are in my short list, this is generally of no use to me.
Old 21st December 2012, 13:57   #3374
Senior - BHPian

Where can I buy descaling power (used for removing hard water deposits from the washing machine tub) ?

I had purchased one sachet of Scale out descaling powder from the Samsung guy who came for installation (Mine is a top loader).

I have noticed an improvement in the washing effectiveness of the machine after performing descaling (after using the washing machine for about 2 years).

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 21st December 2012 at 14:02.
Old 21st December 2012, 16:02   #3375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Where can I buy descaling power (used for removing hard water deposits from the washing machine tub) ?

I had purchased one sachet of Scale out descaling powder from the Samsung guy who came for installation (Mine is a top loader).

I have noticed an improvement in the washing effectiveness of the machine after performing descaling (after using the washing machine for about 2 years).

Rohan
Try here:
http://www.ifbappliances.com/webapp/...atalogId=10051

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks