Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2013, 09:29   #3466
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I would assume Salt is necessary only in case you have bore wall water. And Shine is mostly optional.

Because I have used Dishwashers abroad for 6 years and never used Salt and used Shine only rarely.

Do you know what' the quantity of Detergent in the Rs. 250 pack of Finnish's website - because that doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere on the site.
Quote:
There must be a setting to turn this off.

I used 5 different models of dishwashers in 6 years and never have I purchased or added any 'salt'. And one of those 5 dishwashers I used continuously for 4 years. I have bought the 'Shine' (actually JetDry) once or twice. Since I never had too many glass stuff, it was hardly ever used.
My LG has a setting for the salt. In the UK they always recommended salt. It is used to recondition the water softener. When I had my AEG Favorit 420 I used rock salt for the re-conditioner.

Shine is just Teepol with some other stuff, i.e. a surface tension lowering system. It is used to ensure that the crockery, esp glass ware dries with no drying marks.

I think Finish detergent is a 1kg pack. Never bothered since I have to get it mail order and Finish has always been highly rated, and probably the most expensive in the UK.
Old 4th February 2013, 09:44   #3467
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think Finish detergent is a 1kg pack. Never bothered since I have to get it mail order and Finish has always been highly rated, and probably the most expensive in the UK.
When you say mail order, I am assuming from India and not actually from UK.

Not sure if you know but you can buy online in India and have it delivered:

https://www.buyfinishonline.com/
Old 4th February 2013, 09:54   #3468
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Will vary in amount according to how soft or hard your water is. A very rough guide to this is how much lather you get when you wash your hands with a bar of soap.
Yeah, I know. Atleast in Bombay, the Municipal water is soft rather than hard. So I don't see any reason to use a softener.

Quote:
My LG has a setting for the salt. In the UK they always recommended salt.
Is the tap water very hard in the UK?
Also when you say your LG comes with a setting, does that mean you can turn the water softening off?

Quote:
It is used to recondition the water softener.
Does this mean all Indian dishwashers come with a built in water softener?
Old 4th February 2013, 10:10   #3469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
When you say mail order, I am assuming from India and not actually from UK.

Not sure if you know but you can buy online in India and have it delivered:

https://www.buyfinishonline.com/
Yes, you can buy online from the above site and have it delivered. Its an indian website. Finish marketing office is in delhi.

https://www.buyfinishonline.com/index.php?view=howtobuy
Old 4th February 2013, 10:23   #3470
BANNED

@Vid6639; Yes I buy mail order in India from India. Let me add, you cannot register an e-mail account with a two character id with them so I am using my gmail id there.The actual firm is maxicareonline. I just checked and confirmed that the packings are 1kg, salt 2kg and shine 400ml. So I will suggest two packs of salt on the first order, as the charge is 1.75kg. UK was old and first experience.
Old 4th February 2013, 17:10   #3471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
What we really miss is our old Sumeet's quality. We have an inalsa food processor but it's useless for kneading dough, for that we use a kenwood fp. For idly batter we take out the trusty Sumeet! Yup, we have three!
We also have an Inalsa food processor. My wife always uses it to knead dough. Even the idli batter comes out very good. Maybe there is problem with the blades or the whole unit that you have.
Old 4th February 2013, 23:50   #3472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, I know. Atleast in Bombay, the Municipal water is soft rather than hard. So I don't see any reason to use a softener.
So hard here it's almost like pieces of rock coming out of the tap

Quote:
Is the tap water very hard in the UK?
Varies from place to place
Quote:
Also when you say your LG comes with a setting, does that mean you can turn the water softening off?
Should be a setting for how fast it dispenses the salt

Quote:
Does this mean all Indian dishwashers come with a built in water softener?
Hmmm... actually I don't know. Haven't been hands on with a dishwasher for a decade anyway, but I think so. The hot-air drying would result in awful hard water stains on glass with mineral in the water. Also, I dimly remember plates and stuff just not feeling right to the touch.
Old 5th February 2013, 15:28   #3473
BANNED

Quote:
1. Is the tap water very hard in the UK?
2. Also when you say your LG comes with a setting, does that mean you can turn the water softening off?
3. Does this mean all Indian dishwashers come with a built in water softener?
1. Not necessarily as it is river water. A lot of areas in the home counties have chalk underneath, so water can have some dissolved stuff.
2. You can adjust the dosing from a minimum (near zero, I think) to a maximum. We use borewell water so I use the max setting.
3. afaik Yes
Old 5th February 2013, 22:25   #3474
Distinguished - BHPian

Any water hardness test kits here? I seem to remember getting one in UK with a ratehr sophisticated iron (for clothes) that i bought in a sale ---shopoholic wastes money again--- that came with an additive to add to the tank depending on the result.
Old 5th February 2013, 22:49   #3475
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
We use borewell water so I use the max setting.
Are there water softeners available which can be easily fitted onto water outlets? Someone I know has a washing machine connected to borewell water. How much would it cost to have some kind of softener fitted between the tap and the washing machine inlet and what kind of annual cost would it entail?
Old 6th February 2013, 09:31   #3476
BANNED

Quote:
Are there water softeners available which can be easily fitted onto water outlets? Someone I know has a washing machine connected to borewell water. How much would it cost to have some kind of softener fitted between the tap and the washing machine inlet and what kind of annual cost would it entail?
1. LG does come with a test strip which uses a colour change to indicate hardness. It maxed out as expected.
2. I have lived with Borewell water both on IIT Campus (from 1977) and then in my current place. I never had a problem with the washing machine - maybe I vaguely recall years ago once one valve had jammed, and a bit of light tapping fixed it.

I have a feeling that the Dishwashers do the softening more to avoid drying marks. Also, the nozzles are fine so clogging may be an issue.
Old 6th February 2013, 09:41   #3477
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Look at KENT. They have a water softener which can be fitted onto any water outlet like shower, washing machine etc.

Quote:
I have a feeling that the Dishwashers do the softening more to avoid drying marks. Also, the nozzles are fine so clogging may be an issue.
Scaling on the dishes is the main reason they have the salt and softening. Had run my earlier Bosch without salt a few times since it was not easily available then. The cleaning quality was decent but left white scales on the dishes. The Rinse aid prevents the water drying spots whereas the salt prevent the white scaling.
Old 11th February 2013, 21:14   #3478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.V.R View Post
Even I am planning to go for a chimney and stove.Can you pass on the contact of the distributor if you dont mind?
I am also looking at purchasing one soon. Please share your experience about different brands in terms of pricing. What did you end up buying in the end?
Old 12th February 2013, 09:29   #3479
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by areddy View Post
I am also looking at purchasing one soon. Please share your experience about different brands in terms of pricing. What did you end up buying in the end?
I am on my second Faber. The old one lasted over aa years! One reason I bought another (near identical) Faber is that it was just a slot in job to replace. I have been very happy with them.
Old 12th February 2013, 14:44   #3480
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone heard about Sollatek company?
They have products available in India
I am looking for some first hand reviews of their stabilizer:
TV-STAB 20M

http://www.sollatek.co.in/products_b2c.php

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks