Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2013, 14:02   #3661
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
I'm planning to buy a new fully automatic washing machine tomorrow. My budget is 20-25K.

I'm having some questions:

1. Which brand should I go for among Samsung, Whirlpool, LG, IFB, Panasonic etc. ?
2. My priorities are peace of mind & A.S.S
Our LG Tromm WD-10490 6.5KG has been going strong since 2007, purchased at 23K. Only once the belt came off and was fixed by a single call to the service station. Absolute peace of mind.
Old 10th May 2013, 14:22   #3662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Though it may not look it, Gas burners are pretty high tech these days

. Company should have a list price of individual burners. Beware of "assurance" that they will give when needed, believe only those who list it out.
Thanks a lot Aroy. Is this a spare parts price list or are the burners sold separately?
Old 10th May 2013, 14:40   #3663
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Our LG Tromm WD-10490 6.5KG has been going strong since 2007, purchased at 23K. Only once the belt came off and was fixed by a single call to the service station. Absolute peace of mind.
I second the LG reco. I have a LG 6.5 kg Top loader since 2005. Very little problems and the service guys come within a day.
Old 10th May 2013, 14:50   #3664
BANNED

Quote:
First of all check up who has the best after sales service in your area.

I had an IFB for 10+ years and have now bought an LG 6kg. IFB has excellent service in South Delhi, but pathetic at most places. LG has good service in Metros but not sure if that is the case in smaller towns.
Agree. In Kanpur IFB is rubbish. LG is superb. Samsung after they outsourced as also baaaad.
Old 10th May 2013, 14:53   #3665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I am in the market for a cooktop. Brands like Faber, Glen, etc seem to be all equally good; after all a cooktop is not really a high tech thing. In any case, are there any specific brands I should choose interms of reliability and spares (after sales service)?
Quote:
Though it may not look it, Gas burners are pretty high tech these days

Look for the following features
. Number of burners - to accommodate the maximum number of pots you may use
. Burner spacing - large enough to use with your pots simultaneously
. Burner range - from a large burner for the times when you may want to cook for a party to a small one for making one cup of tea.
. Cast Iron burners are the best followed by forged brass
. Company should have a list price of individual burners. Beware of "assurance" that they will give when needed, believe only those who list it out.
. Lastly check how easy it is to clean the base. Ideally the stands and the burner tops should be detachable to clean up after heavy cooking (or spilling?)
And make sure there is at least one triple ring burner. This is essential for the tava for roti and that kadhai for frying.

I've said this earlier but having bought an Indian brand Sunflame and the Italian Faber Heatcraft, the former is better for our type of cooking. A sensor in the Faber's oven has broken down and we are waiting for a spare for several weeks, so sadly no pizzas or breads are being made!

Last edited by LithiumSunset : 10th May 2013 at 15:00.
Old 10th May 2013, 15:18   #3666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
We have an IFB for last 14-15 years. Still going strong and looking good for some more years. Thankfully, the service at my place is very good which encouraged me to buy IFB DW too. If the service is good at your place, I don't see reasons not to go for an IFB.
One good thing about IFB is that its drum is at least twice the capacity of a 5kg LG, hence if you do not overload it you should get excellent tumble which means a good wash. In general our 6kg LG takes 70% clothes per wash hence more wash cycles.

The upside of our LG is that it senses load and determines the wash cycle accordingly (1 - 3 hours for cottons), where as the IFB had a fixed cycle of around 2 hours for cottons.

Last edited by Aroy : 10th May 2013 at 15:19.
Old 10th May 2013, 16:17   #3667
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Agree. In Kanpur IFB is rubbish. LG is superb. Samsung after they outsourced as also baaaad.
Thanks for everyone's help.

You meant Samsung has outsourced their A.S.S ? Thanks, I was ignorant of it.

No friends/family members has bought a LG yet and I'm not having any experience with LG products yet. So I'm quite apprehensive of LG and its product quality.

What about Whirlpool ?
Old 10th May 2013, 17:23   #3668
BHPian

How much should a second hand 250 ltr godrej fridge cost. I am buying it from a known person hence the query.
Old 12th May 2013, 09:01   #3669
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
I'm planning to buy a new fully automatic washing machine tomorrow. My budget is 20-25K.

I'm having some questions:

1. Which brand should I go for among Samsung, Whirlpool, LG, IFB, Panasonic etc. ?
2. My priorities are peace of mind & A.S.S
Finally brought home the first LG product in our family: http://www.lg.com/in/washing-machine...ashing-machine

Cost: 23,500

Thanks once again to all who had recommended LG.
Old 26th May 2013, 17:05   #3670
BHPian

Guys,

What type of water purifier would you recommend? All we know is RO wastes a lot of water, and the older Eureka Forbes models are based on some other technology(UV?), but don't waste too much water.

We are considering getting a simple yet efficient water purifier for our home for withing 15k, I guess. Getting those large 20L water cans delivered every day is turning out to be such a pain. Plus, who knows where the water in those cans in coming from!

Any suggestions? Thanks & Cheers!
Old 26th May 2013, 17:32   #3671
Distinguished - BHPian

What kind of water do you get? Hard or soft? RO is primarily used for removing excess dissolved salts etc whereas UV is used to kill germs like bacteria etc. Apart from this there will also be a gravel and charcoal stage for physical impurities. So if you are getting soft water from a river etc you can use normal UV based filters. In case you get borewell water with excesssive dissolved salts you must invest extra on an RO filter.
Old 26th May 2013, 21:33   #3672
Senior - BHPian

Please suggest a good 400+lts Refrigerator. We are not looking for side door configuration as deepfreeze takes more space than we want.
Old 27th May 2013, 16:36   #3673
BHPian

I am looking for the service contact in Bangalore for my LG front loading washing machine. Somehow i could not get through their toll number. Its a 7 year old machine and make noise while the drum spins.. Bearing problem? Any idea how much will be the repair cost?
Old 27th May 2013, 19:39   #3674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Guys,

What type of water purifier would you recommend? All we know is RO wastes a lot of water, and the older Eureka Forbes models are based on some other technology(UV?), but don't waste too much water.

We are considering getting a simple yet efficient water purifier for our home for withing 15k, I guess. Getting those large 20L water cans delivered every day is turning out to be such a pain. Plus, who knows where the water in those cans in coming from!

Any suggestions? Thanks & Cheers!
Last year we bought a Kent RO unit for around 14K. It has a RO, UV, Charcoal filter and a storage capacity of 6L or so. The water wastage is around 20L/day - we had a 20L can collecting the water.

Compared to the older non RO units, RO are more expensive in maintenance as the membrane has to be changed annually, but the upside is that the water tastes as good as Bisleri
Old 27th May 2013, 22:41   #3675
BHPian

Quote:
Last year we bought a Kent RO unit for around 14K. It has a RO, UV, Charcoal filter and a storage capacity of 6L or so. The water wastage is around 20L/day - we had a 20L can collecting the water.

Compared to the older non RO units, RO are more expensive in maintenance as the membrane has to be changed annually, but the upside is that the water tastes as good as Bisleri
Yowza! 20L per day! That's more than what the missus and I consume in a 4 days! One big can of water lasts us a good 4-5 days without hassle. If I start throwing away 20L of water each day, the other residents will throw me away .

Well, water quality is not so bad here. I mean, it's Chennai, so water isn't as pure as Bisleri maybe. But in our flat, water isn't that bad. So, I guess my question is, do I really need an RO unit? Or will the old Aqua Guard type thingy suffice? Are those still available for purchase?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks