Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2013, 11:05   #3781
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
For 'nicely bright' you will need atleast two on opposite walls. CFLs do not encompass large areas with their throw.

Alternatively you could get one of the super slim new age tubes sold by Osram and Havells. These are to old tube lights what CFLs are to bulbs, will completely light up your rooms and are much better looking too with their sleek mounting frames and top covers.

We have a Havels yellow slim tube ligh in one room (13x15) and it lights up the room perfectly.
Old 16th July 2013, 18:15   #3782
Senior - BHPian

I need to buy a new Steam Iron and would like to have a cordless one. Searched and couldn't see one in top brands. Any pointers on this?
Old 16th July 2013, 18:56   #3783
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
These are to old tube lights what CFLs are to bulbs
I don't agree with this analogy at all.

Both slim tube lights and old tube lights are fluorescent lamps. The slim tube lights are a refinement of the older tube lights.

OTOH, CFLs and bulbs are totally different technology. Bulbs are incandescent lighting. Bulbs emit a warm, yellow glow as compared to 'cool' blue light of fluorescents (tubes and CFLs). CFLs are expensive and energy efficient. Bulbs are cheap and not energy efficient(for hot Indian weather especially).

CFLs are more like tubelights than like bulbs - CFLs can be considered as compact tubelights.

Personally I don't like CFLs. I prefer tubelights in the rooms and bulbs in bathrooms etc.

Last edited by carboy : 16th July 2013 at 18:57.
Old 18th July 2013, 22:59   #3784
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Room 1 , 14w would be adequate and 18w would be really bright

Room 2, 10w would be sufficient and 12w would be bright
Quote:
For 'nicely bright' you will need atleast two on opposite walls. CFLs do not encompass large areas with their throw.

Alternatively you could get one of the super slim new age tubes sold by Osram and Havells. These are to old tube lights what CFLs are to bulbs, will completely light up your rooms and are much better looking too with their sleek mounting frames and top covers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post

We have a Havels yellow slim tube ligh in one room (13x15) and it lights up the room perfectly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I don't agree with this analogy at all.

Both slim tube lights and old tube lights are fluorescent lamps. The slim tube lights are a refinement of the older tube lights.

OTOH, CFLs and bulbs are totally different technology. Bulbs are incandescent lighting. Bulbs emit a warm, yellow glow as compared to 'cool' blue light of fluorescents (tubes and CFLs). CFLs are expensive and energy efficient. Bulbs are cheap and not energy efficient(for hot Indian weather especially).

CFLs are more like tubelights than like bulbs - CFLs can be considered as compact tubelights.

Personally I don't like CFLs. I prefer tubelights in the rooms and bulbs in bathrooms etc.
Thanks for the replies,

went to the market today, saw a few cfls of different watts. the shopkeeper patiently individually lit up showed me 17, 23, 27, 42 and 65 watts cfls of various brands.

i picked the 42w ( = 180w ) Philips Tornado Energy Saver Cool Daylight for Rs. 525. This cfl is in twister shape. I picked only one to see how it would perform in different sized rooms. will pick up more tommorow. i need about about 5.

I liked the 50w and 65w too from another company but they were too long in length and would look odd in the bedroom. The 42w Philips Tornado is decently sized.

i tried it in my rooms and it is Super Bright just like i like it. I think this 1 cfl is more than enough for my room.

But my parents found the 42w to be too bright. So i guess i'll buy a 23w or 27w for them.

How many watts would be good enough for bathrooms & kitchen ?

How many watts cfl are most forum members using ?

Cheers
Old 18th July 2013, 23:24   #3785
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
I wouldn't advise a CFL for the bathroom or any place where you switch it on and off many times a day - like in the bathroom. From my experience, there is a 50% chance that a CFL used in such situations will conk off after a couple of years. Buy a incandescent bulb which costs 15 or 20 Rs and put it in the bathroom. Another reason for chosing a bulb for low use areas is that you will never breakeven the cost difference between a CFL and a bulb using the power savings.
Old 19th July 2013, 01:58   #3786
BHPian

Hi all, seek feedback on buying an auto sewing machine, price less than 8000 inr.

Shortlisted merritt 1409, singer 8280/3331.

E bay India pricing are best but demo and support may be an issue.

Please advise.
Old 19th July 2013, 10:48   #3787
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I wouldn't advise a CFL for the bathroom or any place where you switch it on and off many times a day - like in the bathroom. From my experience, there is a 50% chance that a CFL used in such situations will conk off after a couple of years.
Agred, I have put LED lights in both of our frequently used bathrooms.
Old 19th July 2013, 10:57   #3788
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Agred, I have put LED lights in both of our frequently used bathrooms.

Professor,which LED lights have you put? And what wattage?

Can you post some links? I am also looking for LED bulbs

Thanks
Old 19th July 2013, 11:08   #3789
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Professor,which LED lights have you put? And what wattage?
we were redoing the bathrooms, and so I bought ready made light units from the local Lights Outlet. 6 x 1 watt, with I think a gferman label but 'naturally' made in the land of the dragon. The lights are 3000K.
Old 19th July 2013, 11:30   #3790
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
we were redoing the bathrooms, and so I bought ready made light units from the local Lights Outlet. 6 x 1 watt, with I think a gferman label but 'naturally' made in the land of the dragon. The lights are 3000K.
How much does it cost? Does it make sense monetarily?
Old 19th July 2013, 16:50   #3791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
But my parents found the 42w to be too bright. So i guess i'll buy a 23w or 27w for them.

How many watts cfl are most forum members using ?

Cheers
CFLs appear brighter than similar rated tubes because of their smaller size. Since you are considering 23 or 27W for your parents, I would advise to install a T5 (i.e. slim) tubelight of 28W instead. It would be softer on eyes as well as light output in lumens/watt is higher than CFL i.e. they are more efficient.
In my new house, I have not used any CFLs. All lights are either tubes or LEDs. Just go to any decent "lights" showroom and you will be dazzled with the variety of LED lights available.
Old 19th July 2013, 17:02   #3792
BHPian

Guys need to buy a water purifier urgently. Any recommendations,budget is upto 15k. Is RO and UV important?
Old 19th July 2013, 17:39   #3793
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Guys need to buy a water purifier urgently. Any recommendations,budget is upto 15k. Is RO and UV important?
Budget is sufficient for UV+RO, but you need RO only if water in your area is hard. Else, UV will suffice and will be cheaper too. Do note that RO means that you lose important minerals from water too.

Regards,
Saket
Old 20th July 2013, 10:25   #3794
Senior - BHPian

I installed the Kent RO+UV unit last year. It is working flawlessly. The service engineer tested suspended solids and TDS recently and the unit reduced solids from 400PPM to 35PPM. The water tastes much better similar to Bisleri.
Old 20th July 2013, 11:23   #3795
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I installed the Kent RO+UV unit last year. It is working flawlessly. The service engineer tested suspended solids and TDS recently and the unit reduced solids from 400PPM to 35PPM. The water tastes much better similar to Bisleri.
What kind of maintenance it requires? And what is the schedule and cost of maintenance?

Most Viewed