Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2013, 13:11   #4006
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Looks like you 'want' to buy something, but perhaps you don't 'need' anything.

We have a Samsung refrigerator - purchased in 2008. It has become a bit noisy of late, but no other issues (touch wood).
No, I do not want to buy one, not now at least. I am inquiring because - I would any way pay for a product (maybe a bit less for Samsung) and if a product is good enough, then why not buy it instead of running after brands.

From what I know, A/C isn't good, hence I would skip it. I wanted to know about other products as well, hence the question, here...hope I am clear now :-)
Old 7th November 2013, 01:01   #4007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Anyone use 100% clothes dryer at home? I'm planning to buy one as the new house I'll be moving to has only one balcony(off the Living room) and one Utility which is too small to dry clothes there. I've seen Siemens and Bosch dryers so far but, I have not seen any customer feedback about them.
If anyone uses 100% clothes dryer(any brand), please share your feedback. Thanks in advance!
Have been using IFB since 4 years, no problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
My mother wants a walk man that plays cassets and has FM and AM in it. In the current era of iPods am I asking too much?

Any good brand is OK. Please suggest
Sony walkmans are very reliable, ive been using them all my life.

Quote:
Wife needs a sandwich maker with following features:
1. Toasting and grilling features
2. Easy to clean (removable plates preferred)
3. Good build quality
4. Four slice capacity (two sandwiches at a time)

Budget: max: 6000

Any recommendations?
I am using kenwood , matches all your criteria
Old 7th November 2013, 09:17   #4008
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks guys, for all your feedback on clothes dryer!
Old 7th November 2013, 10:44   #4009
Senior - BHPian

Sheel, you can safely go for Samsung fully automatic washing machine (top loader) base model and 250 L double door frost free refrigerator. I have 2 of them side-by-side and operating for last couple of years without any problem.

Always keep 2 facts in mind. Stick to base model of fully automatic washing machines in both Samsung and LG because the base model always remains the same with very minor changes from one generation to another. Panel also remain the same, so you have a very high chance of getting it serviced even after 5 years of operation. It is the top-spec models that undergo heavy change from one year to another and all the spare including PCBs and touch panels will go out of stock as soon as that particular production run is over.

Seconly buy no refrigerator that is over 350 L and seem to be imported kit. 250-350 seem basic kits and are manufactured in India.
Old 7th November 2013, 14:11   #4010
BHPian

My experience with Samsung had been really bad.

Two phones with north of 18k, lasting just over a year.

The top loading fully automatic washing machine had almost 5k worth board replacement in 3 years.

The LED display was replaced within 6 months on my side by side.

So either Samsung is jinxed for me or their quality is unknown.

Customer service is good thou.
Old 7th November 2013, 14:12   #4011
Senior - BHPian

I have a Sony Walkman with AM/FM, which I dont use. If you are willing to wait, I'm in bangalore in Dec. PM me then.

Which shop did your friend purchase it from? I have tried some 10-15 shops in bangalore both big and small but no luck. Shop details will be highly helpful

Unfortunately this does not have FM/AM .[/quote]
Old 7th November 2013, 16:46   #4012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
My experience with Samsung had been really bad.

Two phones with north of 18k, lasting just over a year.

The top loading fully automatic washing machine had almost 5k worth board replacement in 3 years.

The LED display was replaced within 6 months on my side by side.

So either Samsung is jinxed for me or their quality is unknown.

Customer service is good thou.
You may be having voltage problems - spikes or sustained high voltage. Get a heavy duty spike buster.

Please remember that the current appliances, are heavily dependent on electronics unlike older ones which were electro-mechanical, hence case of boards, led and controllers blowing up.

Last edited by Aroy : 7th November 2013 at 17:03.
Old 7th November 2013, 17:22   #4013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
You may be having voltage problems - spikes or sustained high voltage. Get a heavy duty spike buster.
Nope voltage is not a problem at my place. Got a pure sine wave 3.5Kva home inverter. It has saved me from some bad short circuits on the electric lines during rains.

I have equipments at home that are sensitive to fluctuations. Some older than 10yrs.

This is Samsungs un-tested bleeding edge technology for sure. Guess their products are tested on consumers. I have repeatedly put my trust on Samsung but failed.

Products are priced well. Feature rich with latest technology. Spares are available and customer support is good. Only reliably issues.

Water draining issues cropped up on my sisters Samsung fully automatic machine. After getting repairs couple of times, they disposed it and picked up an IFB. Now peace of mind. This one also replaced in less than 4 years.

My Samsung side by side has inverter technology and does not need additional stabiliser. Compressor warranty for 10yrs. LED display failed in 8 months. Lucky it was under warranty.

Last edited by HillMan : 7th November 2013 at 17:28.
Old 7th November 2013, 17:39   #4014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Nope voltage is not a problem at my place. Got a pure sine wave 3.5Kva home inverter. It has saved me from some bad short circuits on the electric lines during rains.

I have equipments at home that are sensitive to fluctuations. Some older than 10yrs.

This is Samsungs un-tested bleeding edge technology for sure. Guess their products are tested on consumers. I have repeatedly put my trust on Samsung but failed.

Products are priced well. Feature rich with latest technology. Spares are available and customer support is good. Only reliably issues.

Water draining issues cropped up on my sisters Samsung fully automatic machine. After getting repairs couple of times, they disposed it and picked up an IFB. Now peace of mind. This one also replaced in less than 4 years.

My Samsung side by side has inverter technology and does not need additional stabiliser. Compressor warranty for 10yrs. LED display failed in 8 months. Lucky it was under warranty.
Is your inverter online with spike detection/bypass?. If not the voltage spikes just passes through the inverter.

Excepting my Samsung Microwaves, all the other Samsung equipment I had bought gave me trouble, so I stick to LG for Monitors and WM and Hitachi/Daikin for AC.

"Inverter" technology, unfortunately applies to the compressor motor only. The rest of the machine runs on mains (though same is the case for my Daikin Inverter AC), and as I said modern consumer electronics is neither "MIL" specked nor "Industrial" specked, hence susceptible to power line glitches.

Last edited by Aroy : 7th November 2013 at 17:43.
Old 7th November 2013, 18:00   #4015
BHPian

[quote=Aroy;3286972]Is your inverter online with spike detection/bypass?. If not the voltage spikes just passes through the inverter.[\quote]

It is line interactive type and it does have spike detection that has helped while many in our locality were affected. Ever since, I have a soft corner for Su-kam.

Quote:
Excepting my Samsung Microwaves, all the other Samsung equipment I had bought gave me trouble, so I stick to LG for Monitors and WM and Hitachi/Daikin for AC.
So you know where I am coming from.

Quote:
"Inverter" technology, unfortunately applies to the compressor motor only. The rest of the machine runs on mains (though same is the case for my Daikin Inverter AC), and as I said modern consumer electronics is neither "MIL" specked nor "Industrial" specked, hence susceptible to power line glitches.
True but this is one of those with build in stabilizer claiming to be made for Indian conditions. In the display a numbers showing temperature used to get messed up.

Anyway, long story short. I now avoid Samsung.

Last edited by HillMan : 7th November 2013 at 18:02.
Old 13th November 2013, 19:23   #4016
BHPian

Dear members,

We are using Racold Eterno 25-litre capacity storage water heater in our bathroom bought in 2007. It had a thermostat replacement in 2010 and now the tank has started leaking. The Racold technician that visited today gave an estimate of Rs. 4,780/- today to fix it. However, we have decided to go for a new electric storage water heater.

With the many options available in the market today, we are confused in selecting the right water heater. We are in Chennai. Our needs are 25-litre capacity, efficient power usage, long life, and good service support. We are on the 3rd floor of a 4-floor apartment, served from pneumatic water tank from ground level; hence, the water pressure is more than normal. We are thinking of going for Venus Splash-GL, as my in-laws are using a Venus product without problem for more than a decade. Please suggest which other products are worth checking.

Thank you.
Old 13th November 2013, 20:22   #4017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post
Please suggest which other products are worth checking.
Koryo from BigBazaar. Low cost and heats fast. Happy with it for around 2yrs now. No complaints yet.
Old 14th November 2013, 10:05   #4018
BANNED

@murillo; I have also got a Venus. Their quality has nose dived of late. I have had to replace the safety cut out three times, and the element once. The new ones do not even have an element not in contact with the water. Copper tanks are also gone. So look for a good 5* one from one of the new sources. I hear a lot of good things about Smith but all are too new here.
Old 14th November 2013, 12:22   #4019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post

I am using kenwood , matches all your criteria
@ecosport: Please provide model number.

BTW: Is there a thread on safety razors/ shavers? I don' think they fit into home appliance thread, but I am looking for a Parker DE razor.
Ironically they are made in India and not for sale in India.
Old 14th November 2013, 12:57   #4020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ecosport: Please provide model number.

BTW: Is there a thread on safety razors/ shavers? I don' think they fit into home appliance thread, but I am looking for a Parker DE razor.
Ironically they are made in India and not for sale in India.
Hi,
Kenwood SM-640

Dont have an idea about razors

Most Viewed