Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2014, 18:40   #4276
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
Does in mean that different machines spin dry the clothes to different extents of dryness or something could be wrong in the new machine?
Even different models of a same brand have different maximum spin rpm setting. So check if your new machine and old machine has same max spin rpm .
Also, check the particular wash program you chose, it may not have the max spin rpm of the machine as default.
Old 5th March 2014, 18:58   #4277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Thank you guys - I am looking for a RO+UV system, but would like to know what all things \ Parameters to check before I decide on one.
Please also note that there are health issues in drinking water which is stripped of essential minerals. Please do some more research around this aspect as well.

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_...entschap12.pdf
Old 5th March 2014, 21:37   #4278
BHPian

Hello bhpians,

I am looking for a suitable and best water purifier for our home. I don't want to spend more than is absolutely necessary.

In our apartment, we get RO purified water to all the flats from the central RO plant. We use it for cooking. This RO purified water supply is already good for drinking, but we have avoided it so far, and buying bubble tops. I am now thinking of using the RO purified water after putting it through a purifier. Since it is already RO processed and consumable, I assume the TDS is less. Hence, I believe a gravity-based filtration/storage purification will be sufficient. I am thinking in the line of Kent Gold Star.

Please let me know if this appraoch is good to go and what are the best options in market now with this type of purification? I don't want to spend for RO+UV, etc., if I don't need them. The gravity-based filtration/storage costs around 2.5k rupees whereas RO+UV system costs in the range of 15-20k. Since the difference is very huge, I am looking seriously into my actual needs.

Thanks.

murillo.

Last edited by murillo : 5th March 2014 at 21:38.
Old 5th March 2014, 21:43   #4279
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post
This RO purified water supply is already good for drinking, but we have avoided it so far, and buying bubble tops.
Why?

Quote:
The gravity-based filtration/storage costs around 2.5k rupees whereas RO+UV system costs in the range of 15-20k. Since the difference is very huge, I am looking seriously into my actual needs.
What about a UV filter which is around 7K?

Last edited by carboy : 5th March 2014 at 21:44.
Old 5th March 2014, 21:53   #4280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Why?

What about a UV filter which is around 7K?
Fear - we have had baby/kid at home.

UV filter - yes, but is it required for me? ZeroB Suraksha Plus Pro gravity-based purifier is said to apply a 4-stage purification process; as mentioned in their web site:

REMOVES PHYSICAL IMPURITIES: High quality filter efficiently removes mud, sand, dust & other suspended impurities. Reduces turbidity by 70%
Iodinated Resin Technology Permanently kills Bacteria and Viruses that cause water-borne diseases like Polio, Hepatitis, Diarrhea, Typhoid & gives pure drinking water
Bacteriostatic Activated Carbon Silver impregnated activated carbon removes excess iodine, chlorine, organics, color, odour and foul taste from water

Thanks.

murillo.
Old 5th March 2014, 22:14   #4281
BHPian

We buy company bubble top water- parry, kingfisher/foster and earlier was Kinley. Can't take risk with kids health... Couldn't forgive myself when my 4 year old got dengue and we didn't have those Netlon filters on the windows.
Old 5th March 2014, 23:07   #4282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Please also note that there are health issues in drinking water which is stripped of essential minerals. Please do some more research around this aspect as well.

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_...entschap12.pdf
Thank you - the model I brought have a Mineral Management module which replenishes the essential minerals.

--Anoop
Old 6th March 2014, 10:14   #4283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
We buy company bubble top water- parry, kingfisher/foster and earlier was Kinley. Can't take risk with kids health... Couldn't forgive myself when my 4 year old got dengue and we didn't have those Netlon filters on the windows.
Be careful. If you deny your baby a minimum of bacteria, then its immunity will be low and the child will get sick every now and then. It is advisable to start with boiled water and slowly change over to filtered water. In time it will build up immunity.

RO in general eliminates most of the minerals from the water. Some consider it bad, but my take is that there are enough minerals in our food to compensate for that. The only down side of having RO water regularly is that other water starts tasting "funny".
Old 6th March 2014, 15:39   #4284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Even different models of a same brand have different maximum spin rpm setting. So check if your new machine and old machine has same max spin rpm .
Also, check the particular wash program you chose, it may not have the max spin rpm of the machine as default.
I tried again with another wash cycle. The spin RPM was at max setting (800 rpm) which is also the default setting. Also, the old machine's max rpm was only 600.
Maybe that is how this Siemens WM is designed to operate. Although it is not a problem in itself, but the difference is noticeable, hence I asked.
Old 6th March 2014, 16:40   #4285
BANNED

Quote:
Fear - we have had baby/kid at home.
When our kids were born (about 30 years ago) we just used Tap Water from IITK (all from deep tubewells) from birth. No issues with either of them.

Remember kids have to develop some immunity as well.
Old 8th March 2014, 22:21   #4286
A.R
BHPian

Guys, a question on the washing powder for a Front loading Washing machine.

I have a BOSCH front loading Washing Machine and have been using SURF Matic front loading washing powder for over a year now as mentioned by the Bosch guy who came during installation time.

Now there's also this ARIEL matic complete + for Front & Top loading machines (recommend by LG) .

Is there a difference between SURF & ARIEL matic powders?
Why am I asking this? Surf costs almost twice as much as Ariel, both front loading washing powders.
And the Bosch guy had clearly told me NOT to use powders which create a lot of LATHER or those meant for top loading. This will spoil the machine tub.
Old 8th March 2014, 23:06   #4287
Senior - BHPian

Murillo,

I would ask you to go blindly with the RO. Why? because kids are kids and do generally stupid/unsafe stuff anyways. our son drops stuff and still eats it every now and then, like its some perverse sport! not to mention playing in the dirt/sand or rolling on the floor or eating with dirty hands etc.

Its India, god knows what all crap has been contaminating our underground water sources (my mom's underground supply came in at 1500 ppm TDS). What sgiitk ji is rightly saying is true but iitk would be an oasis compared to a typical locality in India where sanitation may not be 100% all around with some seepage into the ground or excess uptake of groundwater leading to salinity (friends in delhi noted water was more bitter as the levels breached 400 ft, unlike at 120 ft depth etc).

My personal take is that he will anyways drink normal water at school which will often just be UV+filtered. He will develop his immunity in our polluted environment anyday. Why take a chance? FWIW - our son has had RO water since birth. From 1-2 years he fell ill lots - and we used to have a torrid time. Touchwood last few months he's been much better (only one day of mild fever) and his habits have become a headache in the meanwhile. There's no correlation with RO water that we can derive
Old 9th March 2014, 10:40   #4288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
Guys, a question on the washing powder for a Front loading Washing machine.

I have a BOSCH front loading Washing Machine and have been using SURF Matic front loading washing powder for over a year now as mentioned by the Bosch guy who came during installation time.

Now there's also this ARIEL matic complete + for Front & Top loading machines (recommend by LG) .

Is there a difference between SURF & ARIEL matic powders?
Why am I asking this? Surf costs almost twice as much as Ariel, both front loading washing powders.
And the Bosch guy had clearly told me NOT to use powders which create a lot of LATHER or those meant for top loading. This will spoil the machine tub.
Front loading machines require non foaming powder, as the foam (mainly during hot wash) will start oozing from every where and ultimately corrode parts, if nothing shorts first.

The reason some washing powders cost more is that they have less filler and more detergents, so you need less of the expensive powder.
Old 10th March 2014, 13:11   #4289
Senior - BHPian

Need some urgent advice!

I want to buy a vacuum cleaner - mainly to clean the hard to reach spots, mosquito mesh on the French window, window channels etc. Wife says no because she do not think we will use it once the initial fancy wears off, but I feel having one is good because it can be used when I feel the need ( Impulsive buy from my side - needs to find some justification ).

I have come across two models from Panasonic - Panasonic MC-CG303 and Panasonic MC-CG304. The main difference I could gather between these models is - while the MC-CG303 comes with a simple on off switch, you can regulate the suction power on MC-CG304. Unfortunately, the MC-CG304 is out of stock at most of the places while MC-CG303 is available at Snapdeal and Amazon.in.

The only other model under consideration is Eureka Forbes Trendy Xenon but it is costly than the Pana CG303.

Should I give in a get a Pana MC-CG303 or should I invest more and buy Trendy Xenon? The use will be very limited, so I am not sure I can justify spending extra for the latter. Help me please

--Anoop
Old 10th March 2014, 13:41   #4290
BHPian

We have a Eureka Forbes trendy steel for 4 years, we did use it once a week initially but the use has died down a lot since we find it time consuming. Regular sweeping and mopping is what we do now and helps keep our home clean. But vacum cleaner is definetely useful incase of hard to reach areas. For mosquito meshes, if it is removable can be cleaned normally by a jet of water.

The real advantage I see in using a vacum cleaner is when you clean the entire house say fans, ceiling etc and there is a lot of dust and dirt on the floor, makes it much more easier to vacum all the stuff and dispose.

Most Viewed