Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2014, 19:55   #4591
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Electrolux used to have this size up until a few year ago, do check. Otherwise if you know some one in the hospitality sector find out where they are sourcing their minibars from. 'Dometic' is the most popular brand and I am sure there will be an importer somewhere as these are increasingly found in almost all of the chain hotel rooms both domestic and transnational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I am looking forward to buy a small fridge, say, in 100 to 150 liters. Anything available in this capacity from major CE providers?
Old 15th September 2014, 20:38   #4592
BHPian

Bought a 0.5W Philips LED bulb for Rs.90 at a regular electrical store today. The LED bulb is ridiculously lightweight (you've got to hold it to believe it). I bought the "white" bulb - the color is cool white, and the light is quite bright for 0.5W.

We have a problem where we forget to turn off the light in the bathroom, so I replaced the 11W CFL with this 0.5W LED to save on power. It is a significant drop in brightness but it's one place where we can make do with dim lighting.

Last edited by hellmet : 15th September 2014 at 20:39.
Old 16th September 2014, 11:11   #4593
BANNED

I bought LED fixtures for two of my bathrooms - they both are 6W and 3000K
Old 16th September 2014, 12:47   #4594
Distinguished - BHPian

I thought, for a minute, you meant 3kw and wondered if you had a lighthouse!
Old 18th September 2014, 11:53   #4595
BHPian

Anyone here using the 'Glen' brand?

Planning to buy an Electric-Chimney for kitchen.

Is it a good brand?
Old 18th September 2014, 19:40   #4596
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Anyone here using the 'Glen' brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post

Is it a good brand?
Not sure about Glen.

We have a Faber and it's served us well, 12 years now
I think Elica is also from the same group so try Faber and Elica as well when comparing/testing.
Old 19th September 2014, 10:17   #4597
BHPian

Re: Anyone here using the 'Glen' brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post

Is it a good brand?
I am using Glen for the past 3 years. Has served us well. Due to frequent voltage fluctutations in my area, had to get the motor replaced as it was not running at full speed. It was done under warranty.
Old 19th September 2014, 11:18   #4598
BHPian

Thanks!

Have placed order for Glen model 6054 90cms for Rs.13,180.
Will be delivered today.
Old 20th September 2014, 08:42   #4599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
When you go for a demo, take some kneaded dough like what you would be using, and guage first. If you're OK with what comes out, then go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Ours has been sitting in the loft for years now. Like mayank said, the rotis don't taste like regular ones and won't come out proper like shown in the demo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
1. Saves hassles of rolling and reduction in time.
2. can cook rotis oil-free and is as soft as phulka made on open fire once you get hang of it
There is this guy from a brand Tortilla outside Hypercity. He showed us the demo and asked us to pay Rs.200. The company guy would come to our house, use the dough we prepared at home and show us the demo. If we are satisfied, we can purchase it, if not, refund Rs. 200
After this episode, googled and came to know that Butterfly is having a roti maker. The demo of it shows how the dough should be and where to place it to get the right roti.
As per DWind, I take in the positives. Negatives, we dont make big rotis or intend to use this roti maker for any other dishes to cook like Dosa etc.
Old 29th September 2014, 12:31   #4600
BHPian

My Panny 32 inch LCD TV conked off after getting a few drops of water from the AC. I would have to repair the TV later. Meanwhile I am planning to go for a 40 inch LED Tv and have shortlisted one of the following:

1. Sony 40R470B
2. Samsung 40H5100
Both are available from ebay at discounted rates with only seller's warranty for one year as they are imported.

I am used to buying electronics from Burma Bazaar years ago with no warranty. Is it worth going for TVs with only seller's warranty ? Sony model is no longer in production. But then most TVs are out of production within a couple of years as new models appear. Any thoughts ?
Old 29th September 2014, 13:46   #4601
BANNED

I bought mine (both Sammy, 40" and 32") from Reliance digital and a local dealership. Normally an LED lasts for 5+ years so you should be Ok unless you are unlucky.

Both my units are with built in WiFi, ie Internet ready with the same internals by the look of it. I was planning to shift my old 32" to the kids/guest room and get a 40" for myself. But Murphy struck and the 32" failed three days before I went shopping. So ended up with buying both within two weeks of one another.
Old 30th September 2014, 09:31   #4602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I bought mine (both Sammy, 40" and 32") from Reliance digital and a local dealership. Normally an LED lasts for 5+ years so you should be Ok unless you are unlucky.
Thanks Sir.

I have had several Sony Trinitron CRT TVs/Monitors in the past where they set the standards. Now Sony is no longer the leader. Which brand is better now in terms of longevity and least issues ?

Old 30th September 2014, 14:52   #4603
BANNED

I will say Sharp, Sony/Samsung (same plant), and Panasonic in that order. Trinitron was my favourite as well, but then technology has changed.
Old 1st October 2014, 09:24   #4604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I will say Sharp, Sony/Samsung (same plant), and Panasonic in that order. Trinitron was my favourite as well, but then technology has changed.
Thanks again. There are not too many sharp TVs around these days - at least in the local stores here.
Old 1st October 2014, 10:47   #4605
Senior - BHPian

I know atleast five samsung LCD/LED TVs which got lines within three years of ownership -everything from 30k LCDs to 2.5L type 60" something behemoths. I know of a couple of Sonys with similar issues as well.

IMHO, the best thing is to buy whichever has the longest warranty and decent price - buying a very fancy TV (unlike a top end car) has questionable long term peace of mind. In my limited circle of some 30-40 relatives/friends, at least.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks