Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2014, 11:12   #4606
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I will say Sharp, Sony/Samsung (same plant), and Panasonic in that order. Trinitron was my favourite as well, but then technology has changed.
+1 to you Sir! Sharp does have technical prowess in this area. Few years ago, I had a demo of Sharp 3D TV (60") and the experience was immersing. And for the Trinitron, I am still holding on to my 1995 Sony 21" CRT with Trinitron picture tube despite upgraded to LCD and LEDs of the world years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
IMHO, the best thing is to buy whichever has the longest warranty and decent price - buying a very fancy TV (unlike a top end car) has questionable long term peace of mind. In my limited circle of some 30-40 relatives/friends, at least.
This week my in-laws bought a second LED TV for their home. Finally opted for Philips as the picture quality was good, price very reasonable and carries a warranty of 3 years which is excellent.

Regards,
Saket
Old 2nd October 2014, 15:13   #4607
Senior - BHPian

Dishwasher query - has anyone used the 'Fortune' brand of dishwasher tablets? How do they compare to the IFB or Finish dishwasher powder. Looks like they also have rinseaid in the tablets.
Do you ever use a limescale remover or descaler in your dishwasher or washing machine? I have extremely hard water that leaves a powdery stain on all the taps and sinks at my home. Do I need to regularly descale my dishwasher and washing machine.
Old 2nd October 2014, 17:58   #4608
BANNED

No idea about Fortune. Dishwasher has a built in softener (salt is for that) so is covered, I have never had to descale any washing machine in over 30 years of usage.
Old 2nd October 2014, 18:12   #4609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Dishwasher query - has anyone used the 'Fortune' brand of dishwasher tablets?
I bought a pack of them from ebay. I think it costed Rs 10 per tab. They are may be, a few points better than using Finish detergent and rinse aid.
As for descalent, I use it once in 6-8 months, both for washing machine and dishwasher. Keeps the interiors clean!

For the IFB products, I used it once. Didnt like it at all.

Regards,
Old 6th October 2014, 20:40   #4610
Senior - BHPian

Hello Friends,

My Videocon 180 Liters Fridge is giving problem from past few months. Ihave got it repaired thrice but the cooling does'nt seem sufficient. Now, I am thinking of buying a new fridge as this fridge is small for our needs.

I am requesting our fellow Bhpians to pour their suggestions. My budget is under 25K and I would like to know how are those Almirah type fridges (sorry I donot know the exact name)?
Old 6th October 2014, 21:20   #4611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
My budget is under 25K and I would like to know how are those Almirah type fridges (sorry I donot know the exact name)?
25k wont get you a side-by-side refrigerator. IIRC they start at around 80k.
Also, generally these refrigerators are more than 500Lt.

Regards,
Old 7th October 2014, 11:12   #4612
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dishwasher query - has anyone used the 'Fortune' brand of dishwasher tablets? How do they compare to the IFB or Finish dishwasher powder. Looks like they also have rinseaid in the tablets.
Do you ever use a limescale remover or descaler in your dishwasher or washing machine? I have extremely hard water that leaves a powdery stain on all the taps and sinks at my home. Do I need to regularly descale my dishwasher and washing machine.
Better than using those tablets, just add a cup of vinegar in the dishwasher during a wash cycle. For washing machines, just add a cup of vinegar through the detergent inlets while running the machine on empty load. This is an excellent way to de-scale the machines. However, the built in salt system for dishwasher takes care of scaling. You can try this certainly on the washing machines.
Old 8th October 2014, 14:02   #4613
Senior - BHPian

The Washing Machine at home has conked off. I think the motor issue can be taken care of through repair but since its semi-automatic I would rather discard it and buy a fully automatic.

We are a couple who use the washing machine over weekend only, if it helps in figuring out the load that we might need.

I was going through flipkart to check out the options available but it seems like the reviews are good for a lot of brands so there's confusion which washing machine to go for. I would be buying it from the physical market so online deals wouldn't work for me.

I'm not too wary of the budget as I expect it to serve us for the next 5-7 years at least but don't want to splurge also if I can get a decent product cheaper. My parents have a Whirlpool fully automatic and my mom just loves it.

Any ideas what all to look for in the product, bare minimum things that it absolutely must have?

Last edited by fine69 : 8th October 2014 at 14:03.
Old 8th October 2014, 14:10   #4614
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I have used Fortune brand tablets, I also ordered from ebay, it took a long to be delivered. I have not seen any issues with this tablet so far.

I have not had a chance to descale yet as my dishwasher is fairly new.
Old 8th October 2014, 14:14   #4615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know atleast five samsung LCD/LED TVs which got lines within three years of ownership -everything from 30k LCDs to 2.5L type 60" something behemoths. I know of a couple of Sonys with similar issues as well.
Is power fluctuation the possible reason for lines? I always use Belkin surge protector to connect my TV/PC to main port, and didn't have any such problems even in my friend circle that uses the same system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
This week my in-laws bought a second LED TV for their home. Finally opted for Philips as the picture quality was good, price very reasonable and carries a warranty of 3 years which is excellent.
I didn't know Philips TVs too carry a 3 years warranty! I thought only Toshiba gives a 3 year warranty and none other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
My Videocon 180 Liters Fridge is giving problem from past few months. Ihave got it repaired thrice but the cooling does'nt seem sufficient. Now, I am thinking of buying a new fridge as this fridge is small for our needs.

I am requesting our fellow Bhpians to pour their suggestions. My budget is under 25K and I would like to know how are those Almirah type fridges (sorry I donot know the exact name)?
Side by side fridges will cost above 70k, nowhere near 25k. I checked them out, but realized that one side was fully freezer and another fridge. I had no use for such a big freezer. Also energy consumption was not available for such models, hence skipped the idea.

If possible, increase your budget and get a bigger and better fridge now. This is a 10 year investment, and you can't upgrade parts later.

If you stick to your budget and go for double door fridges, make sure you check the cold storage and freezer compartment separately. I have seen that freezer is too big and the regular storage is too small in small capacity double doors. You will need at least 230-250 liters if not more in regular fridge, without adding the freezer size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I'm not too wary of the budget as I expect it to serve us for the next 5-7 years at least but don't want to splurge also if I can get a decent product cheaper. My parents have a Whirlpool fully automatic and my mom just loves it.

Any ideas what all to look for in the product, bare minimum things that it absolutely must have?
Samsung and LG are two good brands. Other brands too get good reviews from buyers, but these 2 are the best. I vouch for Samsung products.

I have a Samsung automatic (and had one that lasted 8 years or so with minor repairs), and it is going good - touchwood. Better to visit physical stores, because actual size matters a lot for your decision.

Last edited by ani_meher : 8th October 2014 at 14:23.
Old 8th October 2014, 16:13   #4616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Samsung and LG are two good brands. Other brands too get good reviews from buyers, but these 2 are the best. I vouch for Samsung products.
I have a Samsung automatic (and had one that lasted 8 years or so with minor repairs), and it is going good - touchwood. Better to visit physical stores, because actual size matters a lot for your decision.
Thanks. Bought a Kelvinator 300 Litres single door fridge (5 star rating) for 14K under exchange for my old fridge. I found that single door fridges have more space or better space management for the same capacity model available in two door models.
Old 9th October 2014, 06:57   #4617
BHPian

An update on the recent purchases:
- a Bosch 2026IN washing machine: came with no instruction manual?
- an LG HEPA filter vacuum (2216NND)
- an LG plasma (42PN4500): does anybody have the ideal settings for this one? I could find some for my panasonic plasma at parents' place but not for this.

Looking forward to purchasing a dishwasher for a family size of two: what's a good starter brand and model? I only want the basics covered.
Old 9th October 2014, 09:53   #4618
BHPian

Quote:
I know atleast five samsung LCD/LED TVs which got lines within three years of ownership -everything from 30k LCDs to 2.5L type 60" something behemoths.

IMHO, the best thing is to buy whichever has the longest warranty and decent price -
Finally I bought the Philips TV from Ezone. Ebay offers fantastic prices - Sony 40 LED TV for 37k and Samsung 40 for 31k. But I was worried about the warranty and went in for Philips because they give 3 years warranty.

But the 3 year warranty is not mentioned in the warranty card or in their support page. Only ads and Ezone claim that Philips offer 3 years.
Old 9th October 2014, 10:53   #4619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Finally I bought the Philips TV from Ezone. Ebay offers fantastic prices - Sony 40 LED TV for 37k and Samsung 40 for 31k. But I was worried about the warranty and went in for Philips because they give 3 years warranty.

But the 3 year warranty is not mentioned in the warranty card or in their support page. Only ads and Ezone claim that Philips offer 3 years.
Older warranty term is 1 year. You need to call at the toll-free number given by Philips and register your product there. It will add 2 more years to the existing warranty. Just about 10-12 days back, my in laws got themselves a Philips LED 32" and hence this is a first hand information.
Old 9th October 2014, 13:48   #4620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Older warranty term is 1 year. You need to call at the toll-free number given by Philips and register your product there. It will add 2 more years to the existing warranty. Just about 10-12 days back, my in laws got themselves a Philips LED 32" and hence this is a first hand information.
Thanks Saket.

It would have been easier if they added the additional 2 years when I registered the product in their site.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks