Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2014, 05:22   #4711
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
Sumeet is not available in India anymore, (US, yes!). There something that is as good say some, goes by the name of Preethi, I think.
Are you sure? This is news. I did NOT know sumeet is the old avatar of preethi. They cost upwards of $100/-
Old 25th October 2014, 23:02   #4712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Are you sure? This is news. I did NOT know sumeet is the old avatar of preethi. They cost upwards of $100/-
Sumeet does have a website (http://sumeetmixie.in/aboutus.php). This page says they are 'based' in Guangzhou and seem to have no product for India. Contact no.s do give an India address for Chennai with telephone no.s.

Don't think Preethi is connected to Sumeet.

edit 1: Found the following interesting link: http://www.sunday-guardian.com/artbe...atted-to-death

edit 2: Seems like two companies claim ownership of Sumeet, but the one actually selling something is: http://onlinestore.sumeet.net/

Last edited by LithiumSunset : 25th October 2014 at 23:16.
Old 25th October 2014, 23:47   #4713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
Sumeet does have a website (http://sumeetmixie.in/aboutus.php). This page says they are 'based' in Guangzhou and seem to have no product for India.
I found a Sumeet mixer grinder being sold by flipkart
http://www.flipkart.com/home-kitchen...&as-pos=1_1_ic

Had done some research on Sumeet a couple of months ago when looking for a new mixer grinder. This was once mom's favorite brand. But decided not to go for the one offered by flipkart since I am wary of warranty and service.
Old 26th October 2014, 12:39   #4714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Anyone has any input?

I was in the same dilemma and was trying to source a steam vacuum. I was only getting the one from eureka forbes at 25k. They brought it home but wouldn't demo it for me. Only after paying it was possible so I ditched it. Look at that and I settled on a eureka forbes air purifier with hepa filter. We don't use it though. May have run it only 5-6 times in the past two years... I took the demo of the rainbow one too but think the price is insane.
I also picked up just a steamer (separate) which I use on the sofas and mattresses to kill bugs. Then we run the normal vacuum to suck stuff out...
Old 28th October 2014, 12:06   #4715
Senior - BHPian

Is there actually too much hype around Direct Drive? I read the below article and this has left me confused

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/b...-machines.html
Old 28th October 2014, 12:14   #4716
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Is there actually too much hype around Direct Drive? I read the below article and this has left me confused

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/b...-machines.html
Actually, the thing is that non direct drive machines in India do not offer 10 year warranty on the motor.
If you find a high quality washing machine with same terms, go for it.

That said, within 4-5 years, most machines will be problematic because the electronics will start going kaput(quality of isolation from elements, cost cutting etc.,).

If you want a machine to wash clothes(and not cook your food and sing you a lullaby), find a good quality machine with manual push buttons. When they go hard after 4 years, you can throw them away, and cheaply put in new ones.

All this stuff about "delicate wash", "Himalayan spring water wash", "moon dust rinse", "Solar wind drying cycle", are actually "give me your money" mode gimmics.

All you need is a machine where you can limit spin speed to 400rpm(for delicates). and washing modes like rinse+ and pre wash. Every basic machine with manual buttons has this stuff.
Old 28th October 2014, 12:23   #4717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you want a machine to wash clothes(and not cook your food and sing you a lullaby), find a good quality machine with manual push buttons. When they go hard after 4 years, you can throw them away, and cheaply put in new ones.

All this stuff about "delicate wash", "Himalayan spring water wash", "moon dust rinse", "Solar wind drying cycle", are actually "give me your money" mode gimmics.

Quote:
All you need is a machine where you can limit spin speed to 400rpm(for delicates). and washing modes like rinse+ and pre wash. Every basic machine with manual buttons has this stuff.
I'm upgrading from a semi-automatic so these three things that you mentioned is precisely what I need.

I guess the decision has to be considering whether I want 10 yrs warranty on motor for ~4-5k extra or can live with 4 yrs warranty.
Old 28th October 2014, 12:38   #4718
BHPian

Quote:
10 year warranty on the motor.
People are just looking at the warranty part and ready to pay the premium forgetting the fact that for the same premium they could have got another m/c without those gimmicks. The best ones are semi-automatic if they would comeup with a single tub for both washing and drying. Manufacturers will never do that as it will eatup their automatic WM market.

Now a days all the WMs are made like use and throw and no repair possible as the main failure point is their microprocessor board. Also I dont see any practical benefit in using a direct drive than a belt driven unit (yes it has benefits while using in a TurnTable, but not for washing machines). Moreover the belt driven m/c will be cheaper to maintain.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 28th October 2014 at 12:39.
Old 28th October 2014, 12:43   #4719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I guess the decision has to be considering whether I want 10 yrs warranty on motor for ~4-5k extra or can live with 4 yrs warranty.
My Electrolux semi-auto went kaput 2 days ago after serving us for exactly 10 years. Only once it needed a mechanic which was less than Rs. 1000 job.
Old 28th October 2014, 12:43   #4720
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
The best ones are semi-automatic if they would comeup with a single tub for both washing and drying. Manufacturers will never do that as it will eatup their automatic WM market.
Why is a semi-automatic better than an automatic?
Quote:
Now a days all the WMs are made like use and throw and no repair possible as the main failure point is their microprocessor board.
My LG automatic is 9.5 years old now.
Over the years, I have had it repaired 2-3 times - total cost over 10 years must be somewhere between 1000-1500Rs in all.
Old 28th October 2014, 12:55   #4721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Why is a semi-automatic better than an automatic?
From my understanding, the washing quality of both the m/cs will be same if they use the same tubs and turbulence units in the tub. Only difference is that the washing will be done programmatically than doing step by step, but the steps are same. The normal semi automatic unit comes with separate tubs for washing and drying and needs to manually transfer the clothes to the dryer tub each time after the wash.Only for the convenience factor people go for automatic.

Quote:
My LG automatic is 9.5 years old now.
Over the years, I have had it repaired 2-3 times - total cost over 10 years must be somewhere between 1000-1500Rs in all.
My cousin had a tough time with his automatic since he had to replace the board thrice and had to sell it for a throw away price for peace of mind.
Old 28th October 2014, 13:33   #4722
BANNED

Quote:
.Only for the convenience factor people go for automatic.
So more convenience is better, right? Other than price, there is no reason to ever go for a semi.
Old 28th October 2014, 13:37   #4723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
So more convenience is better, right? Other than price, there is no reason to ever go for a semi.
Its same if you think reverse, just for the convenience we have to spend thrice or more than the manual.

Moreover, rather than convenience its a headache if something goes wrong at the electronic side, not the case with semi. BTW, I am using automatic only due to the convenience factor of single tub for both washing and drying, not for the automation. If it was available in semi, I would prefer that.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 28th October 2014 at 13:43.
Old 28th October 2014, 13:44   #4724
BANNED

Quote:
Its same if you think reverse, just for the convenience we have to spend thrice or more than the manual.
It's not triple as compared to the semi. And I already said that price is the only reason for going for a semi.
Quote:
Moreover, rather than convenience its a headache if something goes wrong at the electronic side.
I have been using fully automatics continuously for 15+ years (I have used a total of 5 different machines over this time - majority of my use has been top loaders though I have also used front loaders for a couple of months. My current machine for the last 9.5 years has been an automatic top loader. Over all this time, I have never faced any major issue with the electronics.
Old 28th October 2014, 13:47   #4725
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Moreover, rather than convenience its a headache if something goes wrong at the electronic side, not the case with semi. BTW, I am using automatic only due to the convenience factor of single tub for both washing and drying, not for the automation. If it was available in semi, I would prefer that.
Since water temperature in Bangalore rarely goes below 15 degrees C, you can get top loading fully automatic single drum machines which are cheaper. They are cheaper because you do not need expensive mechanism to compensate for vibration.
Front loaders come with hot water heater in built, so useful in North where winter water temp can be below 10 degree C.

That said, I would suggest by an entry level Bosch if you want front loader. Similar price

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks