Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2015, 15:28   #5131
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What I want is a slow fan. Current marketing seems to require fast, and even the slowest setting on the regulator is too much for me.
A slow fan, has a higher number of poles in the motor, and is thus costlier to produce. Hence the preference for faster fans.
Old 16th April 2015, 15:42   #5132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_aryan View Post
Hi guys,
I am planning to buy a new uv based water purifier as the TDS level in my area is acceptable (around 100). I have zeroed on two choices:
Kent Maxx @ 7000
Aquaguard classic @8500

Please advise and help me in deciding. Any other purifiers may be suggested too.

Thanks.
using philips aquasure for past 6+ years. Very easy to maintain.
Old 16th April 2015, 16:06   #5133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_aryan View Post
Hi guys,
I am planning to buy a new uv based water purifier as the TDS level in my area is acceptable (around 100). I have zeroed on two choices:
Kent Maxx @ 7000
Aquaguard classic @8500

Please advise and help me in deciding. Any other purifiers may be suggested too.

Thanks.
I used Philips UV filter for about 6 years before going for an RO machine, since my new place demanded an RO. The filter was very similar to the one in this link: http://www.philips.co.in/c-p/WP3889_01/pure-water-uv

Recurring expenses were relatively low - A Rs. 630/- or 670/- filter candle for every 3000 litres of purified water. I bought the system for about 7.5K. Worked well until replaced by Kent RO system.
Old 16th April 2015, 17:10   #5134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Are you using a regulator or a dimmer? Asking because a lot of electricians install a dimmer instead of a regulator.
Yes, with the newer fans, electronic regulators just cannot slow down the speed sufficiently.They are good for the upper end of the speed only. I have found that using the older wire wound resistor regulators I am able to control the lower speeds better and in a linear fashion. They may not look as sleek as their electronic counterparts and generate some amount of heat but at least you get proper speed control.
Old 16th April 2015, 17:38   #5135
Senior - BHPian

Even we started going back to the bulky wire would regulators, and they are in place already. You can run them all day and night. Replaced too many dimmers/electronic regulators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiecal View Post
Yes, with the newer fans, electronic regulators just cannot slow down the speed sufficiently.They are good for the upper end of the speed only. I have found that using the older wire wound resistor regulators I am able to control the lower speeds better and in a linear fashion. They may not look as sleek as their electronic counterparts and generate some amount of heat but at least you get proper speed control.
Old 17th April 2015, 05:52   #5136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
lookout for inverter VRF central AC systems. It has a 4 KW unit (functions below 4 KW at 0.5-1KW most of the times due to inverter compressor and depending upon how many indoor units are working and temp required). You can hook upto 4-6 indoor units at places of your choosing depending upon how you want your airflow.
Thanks - it was a Panasonic 2 Ton in the end given the room size - since its a drawing room which sees limited usage (MAX 1 hour on a weekday, 3-4 hours on a weekend) , we decided to go with a non-inverter model.
Old 18th April 2015, 13:23   #5137
BHPian

Dear Friends,

My 4 year old RO water purifier (Eureka Forbes) stopped filtering last week and the service personal told me that filters and pump has to be replaced and the cost of replacement is Rs 8200. If not have to go for 2 year AMC plan for same amount and he will replace under AMC.
Now I am thinking of an RO to replace my existing one. Budget max 12000 Rs. The critieria is
1. Minimum maintenance cost (Filter costs for Eureka Forbes is Rs 4200 and I have already replaced filter twice in last 4 years)
2. High life.

Can somebody suggest something good that suits my criteria?

Barath
Old 18th April 2015, 13:36   #5138
Distinguished - BHPian

RO filters/pumps are expensive things: you can't avoid that!

However, two failures in four years is too much, and I am not surprised that you are disillusioned with the brand.

We have had one failure in seven years. The brand is Zero-B (Ion Exchange). The prices, though, are much higher. We have AMC with parts included, because of that high cost.

AMC for water purifier is a good idea: the thing is only as good as its last service. The filters (not the RO unit itself) should be cleaned every few months and changed every couple of years.
Old 18th April 2015, 13:47   #5139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
Dear Friends,

My 4 year old RO water purifier (Eureka Forbes) stopped filtering last week and the service personal told me that filters and pump has to be replaced and the cost of replacement is Rs 8200. If not have to go for 2 year AMC plan for same amount and he will replace under AMC.
Now I am thinking of an RO to replace my existing one. Budget max 12000 Rs. The critieria is
1. Minimum maintenance cost (Filter costs for Eureka Forbes is Rs 4200 and I have already replaced filter twice in last 4 years)
2. High life.

Can somebody suggest something good that suits my criteria?

Barath
Your experience is concurrent to my friend's, who has a Eureka Forbes RO system at his place. The recurring expenses are high. I have been using Kent Grand Plus for about 2 years now. Apart from changing the filters (3 filters; Rs 400 each), I have had the UV bulb conked off which cost Rs. 470/- to replace. I use a pre-filter (Rs. 1200/-) between the water line and the RO system which probably helps screening out some stuff before it goes through the RO. In all, I would say that Kent has lower maintenance cost compared to the stuff you have. Trust that helps.
Old 20th April 2015, 14:54   #5140
BHPian

Hey guys,
I am looking for a Vacuum cleaner for my home. It will be used probably twice a week to clean carpets, sofa, curtains, fans, electronics, etc. Wet cleaning is not important. But it should have really good suction power. Accessories and after sales support are important as well. I get a lot of dust in my apartment so it should hold well over a number of years of usage. Any help/suggestions/recommendations are welcome.

PS: Budgeting around 5-7k INR for it.

Thanks
CHEERS.
Old 20th April 2015, 16:54   #5141
BHPian

Look into Euroclean range by Eureka Forbes. I have been using one for ages and am very satisfied with the suction power. It had gone kaput once many years ago but repaired perfectly by the company. No headache using it with it's many attachments.
Old 22nd April 2015, 12:49   #5142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Conceptually, they are supposed to clean in a similar manner a vacuum cleaner or a/c works.

A good air purifier is supposed to have a multi-layer filter & other mechanisms:
- Electo Static PRE Filter which traps large dust particles
- HEPA filter which traps <0.3 microns or even lesser size particles like virus/bacteria/smoke etc
- CARBON activated filter to trap odour/smoke/other gases
- UV light to kill bacteria/germs

Ionizer is supposed to generate negative ions which gets attracted to positive ions floating in the air - as such these particles become heavy and can no longer keep afloat in air we breathe. Many reputed brands of air conditioners claim to have these.

Ozoniser is another method of releasing ozone O3 which chemically reacts and breaks into Oxygen O2 - however lot of controversy surrounds the harmful effects of ozone and long term effects. Quite a few refrigerator brands claim to have ozonisers in their models for keeping the inside fresh and odourless.

On googling, came across Atlanta Health Care | Health Care-Air Purifier, Delhi, India, Air Purifier, Ionic Air Purifier, Hepa Air Purifier,Honeywell Air Purifier,L G Air Purifier,UV Air Purifier,Hepa filter Air Purifier,Air Purifier Filter,Alen Air Purifier,ION Air Purifier, based in Delhi, who are importing these machines and re-branding them. They claim to have supplied these to lot of hospitals/companies as well. Maybe Delhi bhpians can have a look/demo of the same and confirm if these are snake oils or actually usefull.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
HEPA is the only purifier that will work. In order to work it has to be a part of the "Air Conditioning System", that is the air being cleaned has to be in a closed circuit. Which essentially means that your rooms have to be sealed and air only entering/exiting through the system. Periodically the stale air is scrubbed (impurities absorbed) if it is a true closed system, or bled out and fresh air injected after passing through the filters.

This is fine for "clean rooms" and factories but impractical in domestic environment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Consumer Reports, which I hold in high esteem has time and again proved that it does not work. So, I wouldn't buy that, about Ionizers.
Reviving a really old discussion. This season my entire family has been struck down by allergies - its worse that most years. I noticed that when I walked into office the symptoms disappeared and it slowly dawned on me why. A few weeks ago my company, alarmed by all the reports of New Delhi air pollution, installed top-of-the-line Blueair -- http://www.blueairindia.in/ -- air purifiers. I was skeptical of these things earlier and wondered if they did what they claim to do but now it was apparent.

So I decided I need some for home. After a lot of research, I settled on Sharp (Blueair was too expensive.) Sharp was proactive and helpful and their distributor Breathe Easy offered good information and support. So I bought two of these machines -- https://www.sharpproducts.in/product...px?cid=6&id=81. Importantly, they have a good HEPA filter and cover a decent area. I feel a difference already, because I sneeze when I step out!

Now the hunt begins for a car air purifier -- Eureka Forbes has something new out called Aeroguard. Perhaps I will check that out, seems to be a right mix of filters and price -- http://www.eurekaforbes.com/Content/...r_purifier.pdf
Old 22nd April 2015, 13:51   #5143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Now the hunt begins for a car air purifier -- Eureka Forbes has something new out called Aeroguard.
I was in the market a few years ago and purchased the Aquaguard one. I had checked the Sharp and Daikin and both were too pricey. With the Aquaguard I was given a car purifier free. That one looks and feels like a toy fan and I never really used it. It is different from what you have shown. I also found the same on ebay as chinese imports.
Old 22nd April 2015, 14:00   #5144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I was in the market a few years ago and purchased the Aquaguard one. I had checked the Sharp and Daikin and both were too pricey. With the Aquaguard I was given a car purifier free. That one looks and feels like a toy fan and I never really used it. It is different from what you have shown. I also found the same on ebay as chinese imports.
The Sharp one at over 10k is definitely pricey for just an ion generator. The Eureka Forbes one, from a very cursory perspective, seems to do more for Rs. 3,990.
Old 22nd April 2015, 14:12   #5145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
The Sharp one at over 10k is definitely pricey for just an ion generator. The Eureka Forbes one, from a very cursory perspective, seems to do more for Rs. 3,990.
This is the one I have at home - http://www.snapdeal.com/product/eure...tox/1323945512
With this, i was given this one free.
http://www.ebuydeals.co.in/product_d...ctID=57&page=3
or
http://yellowpages.apnaindia.com/eur...&productId=871
The car one was definitely a joke...It was MRP at 2200, if I am not mistaken.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks