Old 15th June 2015, 23:06   #5266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hi Guys,

Any help will be much useful.

Thanks,
Ramki
Please go for an APC besine850 va model along with a tubular battery.also think about getting led bulbs and 5 star rated 45 watt fans if buying new.This model also works as a home UPS.
Old 15th June 2015, 23:28   #5267
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

OK, what wattage should I choose for the tube light, traditional or LED?
Old 16th June 2015, 01:22   #5268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
OK, what wattage should I choose for the tube light, traditional or LED?
Go for a 26 watt T5 philips. The led are 18 watts but luminosity is less.
Old 16th June 2015, 08:27   #5269
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
There are the better LEDs but there are also a lot of 'cheap' LEDs which are far less efficient, so dimmer. Reminds me of the early days of the CFLs.
Old 16th June 2015, 10:51   #5270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
So, the LEDs max out at 18w?
Old 16th June 2015, 13:18   #5271
BHPian

http://www.philips.co.in/c-p/9279267...specifications

Lumens :2670

http://m.snapdeal.com/product/philip...e-light/102146

Lumens :1250

But you should compare them in person for reading. I prefer traditional fluorescent lighting for reading.

Last edited by drsingh : 16th June 2015 at 13:27.
Old 18th June 2015, 10:50   #5272
BHPian

Hooked up my energy meter to my BR AC and found that it consumed 7.6 units over a 7.5 hour run. I noticed it was consuming between 1650 to 1950 watts when the compressor was coming on. The AC is a Daikin 1.5T regular model purchased 5 years ago.

The Home Appliance thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1434604814.833899.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th June 2015 at 13:45. Reason: Spacing.
Old 25th June 2015, 19:49   #5273
BHPian

Re: Hawkins 'Virgin Aluminum' cookers?

Well, just on an impulse bought a hawkins contura 'virgin aluminum' cooker today. But, come home they are saying about health hazards of directly cooking(without vessels) in an aluminum cooker.

Would this be true for these new age cookers from hawkins? Could any of you, throw more light on this? If it is harmful, I would have to plead for an exchange with the shop. Please advise!

Last edited by JMaruru : 25th June 2015 at 20:18.
Old 25th June 2015, 22:27   #5274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Well, just on an impulse bought a hawkins contura 'virgin aluminum' cooker today. But, come home they are saying about health hazards of directly cooking(without vessels) in an aluminum cooker.

Would this be true for these new age cookers from hawkins? Could any of you, throw more light on this? If it is harmful, I would have to plead for an exchange with the shop. Please advise!
Cooking in Aluminium vessels is hazardous to health as the metal leeches into our food gradually albeit in very tiny amounts. Using SS for cooking is safe although it is not a good conductor of heat but this can be overcome by copper bottomed SS utensils. Use SS pressure cookers to be on the safe side. If possible change it for a SS model.
Old 26th June 2015, 12:51   #5275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

It is debatable. Aluminum does leach with highly acidic food, but people have been cooking in aluminum vessels for more than 100 years, with no side effects. In fact most of the cooking done by caterers are in huge aluminum vessels - 50 inches or more in diameter.

The only precaution you have to take is not leave highly acidic liquid (tomato puree, lemon juice, raw mango juice etc) in the pan.

One advantage of aluminum is that when virgin aluminum is exposed to air, it forms a hard oxide coat. That is why aluminum vessels never retain that new look. You scrub it, it shines, then oxide forms and it dull again.
Old 26th June 2015, 14:33   #5276
BANNED

I am not too sure about the effect of acid either. Aluminium almost instantly forms an oxide film by atmospheric action, which is almost impermeable. So not much will leach out due to food action!!
Old 26th June 2015, 15:03   #5277
Senior - BHPian

My LG washing machine's wash quality has been strictly average for a very long time.
We noticed that clothes are getting torn slightly or beaten up quite a bit.

What could be wrong? Less water? We use the "Fuzzy logic" mode and water level is generally 7-8 out of 9.
Tried Ariel and Surf -both for top loaders. Does not make any difference except the odor.

Last edited by S_U_N : 26th June 2015 at 15:08.
Old 26th June 2015, 16:03   #5278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
My LG washing machine's wash quality has been strictly average for a very long time.
We noticed that clothes are getting torn slightly or beaten up quite a bit.

What could be wrong? Less water?
Are you mixing heavy clothes and delicate clothes in the same wash cycle ?

Better to collect the clothes for 2-3 days and wash heavy and delicates in separate wash cycles.

Rohan
Old 26th June 2015, 16:46   #5279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
It is debatable. Aluminum does leach with highly acidic food, but people have been cooking in aluminum vessels for more than 100 years, with no side effects. In fact most of the cooking done by caterers are in huge aluminum vessels - 50 inches or more in diameter.

The only precaution you have to take is not leave highly acidic liquid (tomato puree, lemon juice, raw mango juice etc) in the pan.

One advantage of aluminum is that when virgin aluminum is exposed to air, it forms a hard oxide coat. That is why aluminum vessels never retain that new look. You scrub it, it shines, then oxide forms and it dull again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am not too sure about the effect of acid either. Aluminium almost instantly forms an oxide film by atmospheric action, which is almost impermeable. So not much will leach out due to food action!!
Not to worry so much about the leeching but the use of a metal ladle to stir causes the aluminium to scrape off. That is the point to worry about.
Old 26th June 2015, 17:10   #5280
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiecal View Post
Not to worry so much about the leeching but the use of a metal ladle to stir causes the aluminium to scrape off. That is the point to worry about.
Remember the only thing harder than Alumina is Diamond. Alumina is 9 and Diamond 10 on the Moh scale. So I will not worry!

Most Viewed