Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2015, 18:29   #5371
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Guys, a crazy question.

I live in a rented house and the owner isn't good at maintaining stuff and expects me to pay for anything that breaks down. Anyways, what has happened is the fan in the bedroom stopped working suddenly. I turned off the switch and turned it on after some time. Weirdly, it started rotating in the opposite direction - but quite slowly.

What has gone kaput? Something I can replace myself? I have all tools and a folding ladder at home - so reaching it isn't a problem
Rotation in opposite direction - almost always the capacitor is gone.
Old 10th August 2015, 19:40   #5372
Senior - BHPian

Please recommend a good reliable 2Ton ac for home use.
Old 10th August 2015, 20:16   #5373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Guys, a crazy question.

I live in a rented house and the owner isn't good at maintaining stuff and expects me to pay for anything that breaks down. Anyways, what has happened is the fan in the bedroom stopped working suddenly. I turned off the switch and turned it on after some time. Weirdly, it started rotating in the opposite direction - but quite slowly.

What has gone kaput? Something I can replace myself? I have all tools and a folding ladder at home - so reaching it isn't a problem
Most probably the capacitor. Any way, just to be doubly sure, bypass the regulator and see if there is any difference, Otherwise get the capacitor checked.
Old 11th August 2015, 00:35   #5374
BHPian

Thanks for all your replies for mixer grinders.
The seller showed me bajaj, morphy richard, phillips and also Panasonic.
He recommended 750 w bajaj or morphy richards. He also showed me one Sujatha brand and said many people prefer this. Also its motor is not fitted to the outer body but loaded on something else i dont recollect.
Just checked my old Sumeet which is 400 w input. So is 750w really needed. I am inclined towards Panasonic 550w Model 400 with 4 jars which seller also recommended. Price he quoted 5100 and 4800 with exchange of old. Was 10 year old panasonic made in India or elsewhere? Now it is made in India. I can't see the jars or mixer because it was box packed and only one model available.
The base of jar of Sumeet which locks with mixer and rotates is different and that of other mixers available is different. The blade of jar is also damaged. Shall try to get new jar.

Last edited by HydroFuel : 11th August 2015 at 00:37.
Old 11th August 2015, 03:20   #5375
Senior - BHPian

One more vote for Panasonic and highly recommend to buy from PayTM, you will be surprised by the price.
Old 11th August 2015, 09:19   #5376
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Please recommend a good reliable 2Ton ac for home use.
Split or Windows. If the latter look for an Inverter model with R410a or R34.
Windows just avoid reciprocating compressors. A 2TR is often not as efficient as a 1.5TR since the latter is a commodity item, so most R&D effort goes there.
Old 11th August 2015, 14:44   #5377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Thanks for all your replies for mixer grinders.
Unless you have something specific against buying online, the 4 jar Panasonic is available at 4600/ on Amazon COD. No exchange required. Most appliance shops can use the motor of old mixer grinders and would pay you upto 1000 if serviceable. The old Jars nylon bushes are also easily obtained. The Panasonic jar has had its bush replaced twice for 60 bucks each time.
Old 11th August 2015, 15:20   #5378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Split or Windows. If the latter look for an Inverter model with R410a or R34.
Windows just avoid reciprocating compressors. A 2TR is often not as efficient as a 1.5TR since the latter is a commodity item, so most R&D effort goes there.
Thanks.
Im looking for a split ac. 1.5 ton will not suffice for the room. I had a Voltas 1.5 ton which could not cool the room adequately, hence looking for a 2 ton.
Old 11th August 2015, 15:44   #5379
Team-BHP Support

Here is a heads up for those who pick up home appliances online. Come what may never order anything from Bajaj Electricals own webshop. I made the mistake of ordering a table fan from their own website (https://shop.bajajelectricals.com) with the thought that its somehow better to pick it up directly from the manufacturer. That was a huge mistake. The same fan at more or less the same price was available at multiple ecom sites including Amazon. While I ordered it on Saturday last and paid instantly through Netbanking they are just sitting on the order without dispatching it even today. Worst is that if you call them you keep getting lobbed from extension to extension and then get some lame reply like "you call later... no one available to reply for web orders"!

Beware of them guys.
Old 11th August 2015, 17:12   #5380
BHPian

@Zappo: similar story for a bunch of LEDs I ordered from MoserBaer's online store.
Old 11th August 2015, 18:46   #5381
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Thanks.
Im looking for a split ac. 1.5 ton will not suffice for the room. I had a Voltas 1.5 ton which could not cool the room adequately, hence looking for a 2 ton.
Good. Splits are easier to find. My suggestion will be preferably Daikin, General or Sharp. Go for an Inverter unit with R410a or R34 (specific to Daikin, and is 410a minus the flame retardant additive). In the next bracket will be Panasonic. Most of these are 2.2TR peak. One good thing in Inverters is that the compressor soft-starts, so does not have a heavy starting load. I am myself using a Daikin 2.2TR in my bedroom!

Maybe you can ask the mods to move this discussion to the Airconditioner thread.

Last edited by sgiitk : 11th August 2015 at 18:47.
Old 11th August 2015, 21:41   #5382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Good. Splits are easier to find. My suggestion will be preferably Daikin, General or Sharp. Go for an Inverter unit with R410a or R34 (specific to Daikin, and is 410a minus the flame retardant additive). In the next bracket will be Panasonic. Most of these are 2.2TR peak. One good thing in Inverters is that the compressor soft-starts, so does not have a heavy starting load. I am myself using a Daikin 2.2TR in my bedroom!

Maybe you can ask the mods to move this discussion to the Airconditioner thread.
Thanks for the guidance. Will look them up.
How does the flame retardant additive help?
How does a soft starting compressor help? Does it reduce electricity consumption or does it increase the life of the compressor?
I heard the gas recharging for inverter ac's is almost 3 -4 times the cost of a regular ac compressor. Is this true?
Wont that increase the maintenance cost of the unit?
I didnt know there is a dedicated air conditioner thread hence posted here.
Old 11th August 2015, 22:44   #5383
BHPian

Anybody used a garment steamer? Can they replace iron?
Old 12th August 2015, 09:56   #5384
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Anybody used a garment steamer? Can they replace iron?
I have, and also now own one. Very useful, esp when travelling. However, they cannot give you a razor sharp crease, but remove wrinkles very well. So you have to decide.
Old 12th August 2015, 09:59   #5385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Anybody used a garment steamer?
Got one from the U.S. And wife uses it on curtains and some of her special clothes. I use it to kill germs from mattresses, pillows and our fabric sofa.

Most Viewed