Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2009, 07:08   #541
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Has anybody by any chance tried Amway's SA8 Gelzyme detergent in their washing machines (esp. a top loader)? Any comments?

Amway India : SA8 Gelzyme 500ml

Amway Global Business Analysis - a look at the Amway Quixtar business opportunity
Old 17th October 2009, 08:51   #542
BANNED

For the dancing washing machines - get a proper, natural rubber mat. Or find a store selling chappal / foot wear raw material. They sell 4x6 feet sheets fo rubber sheets, which are cut for use as footwear soles. Ask if they will sell cut pieces; if not, buy the whole sheet and use the remaining in the car's boot.
Old 17th October 2009, 09:23   #543
Distinguished - BHPian

I wouldn't touch Amway as a business opportunity --- but does its detergent work?
Old 17th October 2009, 09:37   #544
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I wouldn't touch Amway as a business opportunity --- but does its detergent work?
The general consensus on Amway products is that they are decent products, but nothing extraordinary. And on the average, they are priced double or more of a comparative non-MLM product.
Old 17th October 2009, 10:23   #545
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thad E Ginathom : I wouldn't touch Amway as a business opportunity --- but does its detergent work?
Or, for that matter, ANY MLM.

Regarding Amway's products, why should they be better than products from a company that specializes in those products. For eg, why should a car care product from Amway be better than one from TurtleWax / Forumla1 / 3M etc ?
Old 17th October 2009, 15:52   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'v not been a fan of Amway products, but just decided to try its detergent. The reason being the pretty limited choices in the market.

Just tried SA8 Gelzyme in our top-loader. Preliminary review -

Cleaning ability: Seems average. Though I guess it might be better if clothes are soaked for sometime or pre-treated. Might give a better result in front loaders. It is said to be enzyme based.

Effect on clothes: What I liked about it most is the feel of the clothes. It claims to contain a Natural Fabric Softener. Outright, it is not as effective as using a separate softener like Comfort, but clothes do feel more "natural". Fragrance is also nice and more delicate compared to competing products. It seems it is also gentler on clothes (it is gentler on hands). Gives you the feeling that clothes may last longer and look better/newer washed with SA8 in the long term.

Foam: Minimal. Which is good, esp. for front loaders.

Cost: On the pricy side - Rs. 369 for 500 ml. 1 litre bottle will turn out to be cheaper, it seems. However, its supposed to be pretty concentrated, only 15 ml is required for our machine which has a tub volume of 41 lt. If tub volume is 20 - 30 lt, then only 10 ml is required. Still, it works out to be a bit more expensive than the Surf or Ariel (machine versions). But if you use a softner regularly, then it works out to be cheaper.

Overall, I liked it. Guess I'll stick with and see. I just hope it can clean well and retain the whiteness of whites in the long term.
Old 17th October 2009, 16:13   #547
Distinguished - BHPian

All those layers of profit have to come from somewhere!

There is a bathroom cleaner called Spic'n'Span, which is fantastic at getting grunge and scale off the taps. We get it from the Parry's office. I think they make other car/home cleaning products too, and if they are half as good as the bathroom stuff they would be worth trying. Anyone know: is this a multi-layer thing?

I'd certainly like to find a better washing powder for the machine; it does not wash as clean as it did in London. Maybe the water though. --- and I did not use 'biological' powders there.

<crossposted>

Well, one should not have to soak, except for really tough stains, when using a decent washing machine. For nasty stuff, I add a bio powder, which one can get here too.

In UK, we get addicted to using a separate softener ("Comfort" is the brand leader). I think they sell it to us by getting us hooked on the smell. One day I got to wondering if it was really worth it, and just stopped using it.

Should we call this the Housewives' Thread?

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 17th October 2009 at 16:18.
Old 17th October 2009, 16:36   #548
BANNED

Quote:
All those layers of profit have to come from somewhere!
Go through the link I pasted in my earlier post.

Most people in the MLM chain don't make money. Many lose money.
A handful of people make tons of money. They make that money not
by selling MLM products. They make that money by selling Inspirational
Videos & CDs on how to become rich by selling MLM products. They make
that money by organizing seminars on how to become rich by selling MLM products.

Last edited by carboy : 17th October 2009 at 16:40.
Old 17th October 2009, 16:59   #549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I'd certainly like to find a better washing powder for the machine; it does not wash as clean as it did in London. Maybe the water though. --- and I did not use 'biological' powders there.

<crossposted>

Well, one should not have to soak, except for really tough stains, when using a decent washing machine. For nasty stuff, I add a bio powder, which one can get here too.

In UK, we get addicted to using a separate softener ("Comfort" is the brand leader). I think they sell it to us by getting us hooked on the smell. One day I got to wondering if it was really worth it, and just stopped using it.

Should we call this the Housewives' Thread?
If you are used to Surf/Ariel in the Indian market, try SA8 once at least. Its a refreshing change... And you won't need a softener.

In my experience, soaking does give better results (if the washload is a li'l extra soiled), even if you are using the conventional detergents in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Go through the link I pasted in my earlier post.

Most people in the MLM chain don't make money. Many lose money.
A handful of people make tons of money. They make that money not
by selling MLM products. They make that money by selling Inspirational
Videos & CDs on how to become rich by selling MLM products. They make
that money by organizing seminars on how to become rich by selling MLM products.
Hmmm... interesting. Will go thru that sometime soon... but as of now, I'm more interested in the products and how they suit me. Or is it like MLM companies are pone to make bad products too?

Last edited by Raccoon : 17th October 2009 at 17:03.
Old 17th October 2009, 17:05   #550
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Or is it like MLM companies are pone to make
bad products too?
Not really. Their products are usually as good as other products in the market - just overpriced.
Old 17th October 2009, 17:23   #551
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Go through the link I pasted in my earlier post. ...
Yes, sorry; I did not read the article, but I do inow how these companies work and how those few in the chain make money at the expense of the many. If seen plenty of people fall for the lure, and just about all of them only ever spent money.

Stop me and ask how to loose weight!

(Err... don't. I don't work for that company and never would. I know people who tried.

Quote:
Not really. Their products are usually as good as other products in the market - just overpriced.
I think they try to trade on the personal contact implying exclusivity, and they make people want to like the product by giving them the germ of the idea, right from the start, that they might want to try and sell it to their friends...

Oh dear...

I guess <Blush>
Old 18th October 2009, 07:34   #552
Senior - BHPian

Nick,

Here's my tuppence - I use Amway products extensively (like everyone else who has a close relative into the business ).

Firstly, the money is made by those guys who joined it like ten years back (and hence have a strong downline below them)
Secondly, the money is made in nutritional supplements. I recall *some* news article which said it accounted for 50% of their turnover! I mean garlic tablets for 10 bucks apiece. Besides weightloss/health they have pills across a wide spectrum and mostly ridiculously priced.

Coming to their products,
what is good: SA8 and the other cleaning agent (they deliver very decent results), shaving cream, razors, socks (very VFM!), shirts (limited range but decent), kitchen stuff (non stick etc)

What is avoidable: Artistry range of cosmetics (quality if good but very pricey - specs like SPF are better with some Indian brands), Insurance (rate is ok but only limited to ULIP plans)
Old 18th October 2009, 11:33   #553
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the overview.

Luckily, I don't actually know any Amway distributors.
Old 18th October 2009, 15:56   #554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Coming to their products,
what is good: SA8 and the other cleaning agent (they deliver very decent results), shaving cream, razors, socks (very VFM!), shirts (limited range but decent), kitchen stuff (non stick etc)

What is avoidable: Artistry range of cosmetics (quality if good but very pricey - specs like SPF are better with some Indian brands), Insurance (rate is ok but only limited to ULIP plans)
Many products do seem ridiculously priced.

Which other cleaning agent, btw? Would like to try. Any idea how the LOC High Suds and Dish Drops perform?

Anybody has any idea about alternative detergents for automatic dishwashers (IFB)? I actually came to the Amway site looking for that, but unfortunately they don't seem to have anything for dishwashers.
Old 19th October 2009, 01:38   #555
BHPian

Microwave oven : LG v/s Samsung.

Folks,

I am planning for a microwave and would like to know your experiance of different brands. From few shops i have been to, know that LG and Samsung are the prominent brands. Please let me know about brand/model experiance. My budget would be around 10 - 12K.

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks