Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2016, 13:18   #6196
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Anybody with a budget similar to mine, please consider Blueair 270E
Do negotiate hard - I need to buy Two more you can count me in case quantities make any difference
Old 14th November 2016, 02:39   #6197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
CADR is not a measure of the quality of an air purifier, just as megapixel is not a measure of the quality of a digital camera. CADR is air handling rate of the appliance: higher CADR for bigger rooms. Of course you can use a high CADR appliance in a small room and get faster air processing (filtration in this case).

At the very least look for an air purifier which has a pre filter and a HEPA filter.
True but all things being equal - higher cadr is preferred.

We noticed a niggle with this Kent Eternal model. once the air is purified, it sort of goes into invisible mode. The display shuts off while the fan runs with an imperceptible hum.

There's no way to make it exit this mode, than to reboot it or wait for the display to light up again, 3-5 min later.

Aside from that, we like the unit.
Old 18th November 2016, 16:55   #6198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
At 50k nothing comes close to Blueair 270E just like IQAir is a no-brainer at
Did you visited Blueair? how much is it going to cost. I need to buy one more
Old 23rd November 2016, 13:51   #6199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Check out this one.

hey ecenandu,

Could you post few inside view pics of your refrigerator?
As even the website doesn't have it.

Thanks in advance.
Ramki
Old 24th November 2016, 00:18   #6200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
hey ecenandu,

Could you post few inside view pics of your refrigerator?
As even the website doesn't have it.

Thanks in advance.
Ramki
Not the same, but similar.

Photo is of the fridge.
The Home Appliance thread-screen-shot-20161123-7.43.01-pm.jpg

The Home Appliance thread-screen-shot-20161123-7.42.26-pm.jpg
Old 24th November 2016, 01:14   #6201
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Any recommendations for a 500+ litres refrigerator? I would prefer a two door one rather than the side by side ones after looking at a few models and my space constraints. I want to decide between Samsung, LG, Siemens/Bosch. A couple of my friends who have Samsung refrigerators were not happy and had issues in their new fridges.
I got this one over the weekend. Delivery tomorrow.

https://www.flipkart.com/hitachi-510...TBPWSTRGMUUXQM

It's a 510 litre bottom freezer. Found it deeper than the Panasonic but you lose some space due to the double door at the top. However the advantage was the door swing is much lesser and you don't have to stand far away to open the door.

The Panasonic door swing was too close to the kitchen counter and to open the vegetable drawer you really had to open it wide.
Old 24th November 2016, 10:56   #6202
Senior - BHPian

I am thinking of getting a wet grinder, primarily to get better Dosa dough. I would be grateful if hose who use it can clear a few doubts
1. What size for small household - 1.25, 1.5 or 2L.
2. Which brand is rugged enough to last a long time?
3. Whether one can grind batches of 1/2, 1/4 or 1/8 the stated capacity? That is will a 2L machine grind 200ml of chutney?
4. Can you grind coriander, mint and coconut chutney?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Aroy : 24th November 2016 at 10:58.
Old 24th November 2016, 11:13   #6203
BHPian

Please my reply below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I am thinking of getting a wet grinder, primarily to get better Dosa dough. I would be grateful if hose who use it can clear a few doubts

Wet grinder i would recommend - Ultra Grind+

Depends on usage, if it is not for daily use take lower size

We are using Ultra for more than 10+ years

3. Whether one can grind batches of 1/2, 1/4 or 1/8 the stated capacity? That is will a 2L machine grind 200ml of chutney?

I would recommend Mixie for chutney, dont try wet grinder.

Preethi is a good brand for Mixie for chutney

Thanks in advance.
Old 24th November 2016, 12:08   #6204
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
May be a bit OT, but I had the opportunity of peeking at the insides of the Ultra Grind+ :
  1. Has only a 140 Watt motor for the 2.0 Litre model (surprise!)
  2. The capacities, i.e. the bowls cannot be interchanged - so choose carefully
  3. You get a coconut scraper attachment, but these are not standardized and do not even fit other models from the same company - if you need one, buy it while purchasing the main unit (I've not used one, so don't know it's utility or reliability - was considering one, however)
  4. FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY - Start the motor running, add water, then add rice or dhal in small quantities - your machine should last you forever. (this is the reason, I visited the service center - maid would add the entire rice and then start the motor - WRONG!)
  5. Chutney can be made, but would be better if using larger quantities
  6. I was told by the technician that the 2.0 L can grind any quantity starting from 100gms onward, but I'm yet to verify this. Though we did halve the normal quantity and it worked fine.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by mvadg : 24th November 2016 at 12:16.
Old 24th November 2016, 12:17   #6205
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
We have a got a PVG table top wet grinder with all the fancy attachments for coconut grating, chapathi dough making, etc. Chapathi dough making attachment is very useful during family functions and occassions where 200 - 300 Puri / chapathi becomes a part of the menu. Except for a few belt changes, the machine hasn't seen any major breakdowns. It has been serving us for the past 12 - 15 years.
1. 2L should be fine for a family of 4
2. Longevity depends on the level of abuse, so use it as per its recommended capacity and nothing more.
3. I think 50% rated capacity should be ok. 200ml of chutney should be prepared with a mixie. Think of higher volumes like a chutney with 2 full coconuts, then this grinder can do its best.
4. Possible, but you have to stand beside it with a spoon or wooden spatula and deviate the raw materials from the periphery of the drum to the centre of the rollers once in a while. The stock deflector is not of much use when it comes to preparing chutneys.
120 - 140W is all you get in the market, but so much is sufficient for household use.
-Ilango
Old 24th November 2016, 13:16   #6206
BHPian

Recently purchased a table top Ultra Perfect+ grinder for a friend in the U.K. He is a family of two and use the grinder extensively. He wanted the model with a timer to stop after a certain amount of time.
We ourselves have a Sowbhagya one which has lasted 15+ years and it has only needed a periodic belt change.
Old 24th November 2016, 19:31   #6207
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot for the response to my Wet Grinder query.

I have homed down to the Ultra Dura+ (1.25L) as our batch of rice for Dosa is 1/2kg which is about 1L in the mixer jar. I may get the kneading attachment also.

The coconut scraper, I am giving a miss, as we have a hand operated one which works perfectly. Recently, I modified the method for coconut scraping
. Use a peeler to scrape the outer layer of the coconut
. Cut into 25mm pieces
. Drop the pieces into a running mixer jar
. The pieces are grated initially, but if you add some water you get a coarse paste

The reason I inquired about chutney is that while grinding with mixer the coriander/mint chutney leaves small stalk pieces no matter how long you run it, while I want a smooth paste similar to what comes from the grinding stone.
Old 25th November 2016, 08:55   #6208
BHPian

Quote:
The reason I inquired about chutney is that while grinding with mixer the coriander/mint chutney leaves small stalk pieces no matter how long you run it, while I want a smooth paste similar to what comes from the grinding stone.
Aroy, the reason for this is simple. The gap between the bottom of the mixer jar and the lowest point of the blade is more. You can reduce this by adding washers to the outer side of the shaft and reducing washers between the blade and jar. Other way is to remove the blade and shaft, gently the tap the shaft bush downward by 0.5mm or 1mm depending on the existing gap, and assemble the shaft & the blade back.

This is not an issue related to the sharpness of the balde, wattage of the motor or speed of rotation. Just keep the blade as close to the bottom of the jar.
-Ilango
Old 25th November 2016, 11:25   #6209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Aroy, the reason for this is simple. The gap between the bottom of the mixer jar and the lowest point of the blade is more. You can reduce this by adding washers to the outer side of the shaft and reducing washers between the blade and jar. Other way is to remove the blade and shaft, gently the tap the shaft bush downward by 0.5mm or 1mm depending on the existing gap, and assemble the shaft & the blade back.

This is not an issue related to the sharpness of the blade, wattage of the motor or speed of rotation. Just keep the blade as close to the bottom of the jar.
-Ilango
In my dry grinder jar (which I also use for heavy duty wet grinding), the bottom blade practically touches the jar bottom and sides, so that is not the bottleneck. I get extremely fine powder (inluding rice) while dry grinding. In the liquidizer jar the blades are designed more for agitation than for grinding.

I think that the reason is more with the type of operation of a normal mixer. The mixer "chops" particles that are usually in a liquid suspension. No matter how efficient the chopping, for liquids and paste, there is still a particle size limitation, and in most cases pliant fibres are not chopped. In contrast the stone grinder, grinds the particle between two stone surfaces and that reduces the particle size both consistently across the material type, as well as uniformly.
Old 26th November 2016, 13:21   #6210
BHPian

Purchased this IR transmitter for my iPhone in the quest for a universal remote. So far I got my lg tv to recognize it and a Sony. Daikin ac only the power seems to work. STB no luck . I have a Logitech harmony already and it pains me that I spent 150$ on the Logitech while this small thingy is about 300rs and can do more or less the same. Has anyone here used this attachment and had more success with it?

The Home Appliance thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1480146712.640154.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks