Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2017, 10:12   #6286
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakri400 View Post
I am looking for air purifier for home now. Can you share your experience with these products please?
The sharp is a good reliable product and Breathe Easy's service is good. Since I bought this, there have been a number of cheaper launches for smaller rooms from Philips, BlueAir and Xiaomi. They are worth a look but remember listed room size should be reduced by 50% to get an accurate, real-world figure. I still think the Sharp is a good, reliable machine even though they have raised prices.
Old 9th March 2017, 13:11   #6287
Senior - BHPian

Among the usual big chains who retails household appliances, who usually offers a better price?

My sister is setting up her home and she want to purchase all items (LED TV,Fridge,Washing Machine, Microwave and a water purifier) from a single shop, preferably around Marathalli. The choices of brands are either Samsung or LG (other than water purifier) and she is OK to choose a model which is readily available in shop.

We did some leg work and found that Aadishwar's price better but want to check here before we do the purchase.

--Anoop
Old 9th March 2017, 14:07   #6288
BHPian

@ theexperthand, I have bought some appliances from Girias near to the Bridge and some from Aadishwar, so basically it depends on products, for some Girias have better price or for some Aadishwar have it. I would advise you enquire the final price for all the products and try to negotiate with others wherever you are comfortable. As long as they know you will be buying they will reduce the selling price.

Also try to check the price in Reliance digital near to Park Plaza or Pai electronics (Opp to Reliance).

Out of the entire lot, Croma/Ezone is the expensive option.
Old 9th March 2017, 14:23   #6289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarer View Post
Also try to check the price in Reliance digital near to Park Plaza or Pai electronics (Opp to Reliance).

Out of the entire lot, Croma/Ezone is the expensive option.
Thank you. Will check out Reliance Digital also.

--Anoop
Old 9th March 2017, 15:00   #6290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Among the usual big chains who retails household appliances, who usually offers a better price?

My sister is setting up her home and she want to purchase all items (LED TV,Fridge,Washing Machine, Microwave and a water purifier) from a single shop, preferably around Marathalli. The choices of brands are either Samsung or LG (other than water purifier) and she is OK to choose a model which is readily available in shop.

We did some leg work and found that Aadishwar's price better but want to check here before we do the purchase.

--Anoop

Try all the chains, pick the products you like and call Devi international for the best price. They deliver at home.
Old 11th March 2017, 15:25   #6291
BHPian

My Samsung dishwasher has started causing mild shock in other appliances during the heat cycle. Does this need the heating filament to be replaced? Can it be done as a DIY?
Old 11th March 2017, 17:37   #6292
BHPian

Just got our LG washing machine delivered which replaces a decade old IFB. Link below shows the model we purchased.

http://www.lg.com/in/washing-machines/lg-FH096WDL24

Experience with IFB washing machine:

- Machine lasted for a decade with good performance throughout. Excellent product overall.
- The machine was run on overload on several occasions. I think that triggered early failure.
- Last two service experience - terrible on one occasion and below average on the other. Several reports on internet on poor customer service from IFB.
- Expensive spares

The last two points were the reason I just couldn't consider IFB again.

Researched a bit on what brand to buy next and found out that LG is the most popular by a big margin for reasons such as cutting edge technologies, solid After sales support, good performance and really long lasting products.

For these reasons, I just couldn't even consider any other brands though BOSCH does seem to have some good words going for it. Though I didn't consider BOSCH at all, I read that BOSCH needs at least 1 bar of water pressure for normal operation, which in my home is a suspect.

Some good posts in the following thread on washing machines.

https://www.techenclave.com/communit...achine.164705/
Old 20th March 2017, 14:10   #6293
BHPian

Any feedback on Symphony Air Coolers - the Diet Range ?
Old 20th March 2017, 14:37   #6294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakri400 View Post
Try all the chains, pick the products you like and call Devi international for the best price. They deliver at home.
Oops, missed this post. We brought everything from Aadishwar (Panasonic 40 inch TV, Samsung Inverter technology fridge with convertible freezer, Samsung front load washing machine, Samsung microwave and AO Smith Water Purifier), so could bargain for a good deal. The total landed price was around 1.2L.

--Anoop
Old 24th March 2017, 11:57   #6295
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

I am planning to buy the below appliances from croma on Ugadi day (as there might be offers). Need your suggestion if they are good or should I look at any other brand/model.

1. Table top wet grinder from Ultra:

http://www.croma.com/elgiultra-150w-...hite-/p/190266

2. Morphy richards food processor :
http://www.croma.com/morphy-food-pro...lack-/p/190636

3. Hand mixer with bowl by Croma :

http://www.croma.com/croma-crk4173-b...lack-/p/196419

Why I am looking for only croma is because I have gift vouchers of the same and would like to utilize them. I am little skeptical about the food processor as I have heard mixed reviews about the brand. So if there is any other brand that I should be looking at please do let me know.
Old 24th March 2017, 14:09   #6296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Folks,

I am planning to buy the below appliances from croma on Ugadi day (as there might be offers). Need your suggestion if they are good or should I look at any other brand/model.

1. Table top wet grinder from Ultra:

http://www.croma.com/elgiultra-150w-...hite-/p/190266
=====
If you are getting wet grinder, then you really do not need a food processor as a wet grinder is good enough for dosa/idli as well as for mundane chutneys. Get a dough hook. What you will then need is a plain large jar Mixer for liquidizing.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 24th March 2017 at 14:33. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 24th March 2017, 14:43   #6297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If you are getting wet grinder, then you really do not need a food processor as a wet grinder is good enough for dosa/idli as well as for mundane chutneys. Get a dough hook. What you will then need is a plain large jar Mixer for liquidizing.
thanks Aroy for the suggestion. On second thoughts (and after your suggestion) I am planning to buy only the food processor. i already have a large wet grinder at home but had thought of buying a table top but I think we can already use the mixer attachment that comes with the food processor. Which food processor brand should I be looking at? Is morphy richards any good?

I thought of buying the hand mixer because its less work for me while making the dough or for anything that needs to be mixed.
Old 24th March 2017, 19:02   #6298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
thanks Aroy for the suggestion. On second thoughts (and after your suggestion) I am planning to buy only the food processor. i already have a large wet grinder at home but had thought of buying a table top but I think we can already use the mixer attachment that comes with the food processor. Which food processor brand should I be looking at? Is morphy richards any good?

I thought of buying the hand mixer because its less work for me while making the dough or for anything that needs to be mixed.
You need a lot of "low end torque" to knead dough, which is done at a low speed, so a hand mixer will not knead dough, a table top wet grinder will.

In over fifty years of owning and using a mixer initially and a food processor later on my observations are -
. Excellent for dry grinding, but again you have to be very careful. Most spices get ruined if heat builds up so you have to use short 30 sec bursts. Dry grinding oilseeds are a strict no-no as the whole mixer will jam up.
. Useful for liquidizing - shakes and mixes
. Partially useful for making Mayonnaise
. Practically useless for thick chutneys, as more than optimum water is needed and the mixer chops and not grinds, so chutneys leave a lot to be desired. Commercial mixers chop a much larger quantity in bigger jars, hence the outcome is a bit better. The best output is wet grinding using stone, either manually or using a wet grinder.
. Not very good for grinding rice. Too much water is needed and a smooth paste will take ages. Prolonged usage will not only overheat the mixer but may burn the motor ultimately.

In short for Indian style cooking a wet grinder makes more sense than a Food Processor. Waiting for our food processor to give up before buying a table top wet grinder. (I have homed on to 1.25L Ultra, and will wait a couple of months before buying it).

In my experience the best mix for small to medium sized Indian family is
. Small to medium wet grinder with a dough hook attachment. If you grind a lot of conut, then add a coconut grater attachment.
. 400W single jar Mixer for blending
. Citrous juicer

What we have done is to get a dedicated mixer/juicer for juices and use the Mixer jar for liquidizing. Our hand mixer and other accessories for the food processor are packed up after initial use.

Here are what use components of Food Processor are for us

For citrus juices the hand juicer is best followed by "Masticating Juicers", but these cost an arm and a leg. The citrus juicer attachment was useless and lies packed.

For tomato juice you need a centrifugal attachment to the food processor that will separate the solid from liquid. Our one gave up after two uses. Now we just separate using a strainer.

Unless you grate tons of vegetables, the grater attachment is more of a pain than a use, as it requires extensive cleaning after each use. We use one once a year to grate 5-10 kg of carrots, but that is because it is there.

Chutneys come out grainy, so our maid does the honours.
Old 24th March 2017, 20:45   #6299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In over fifty years of owning and using a mixer initially and a food processor later on my observations are ... ... ...
Fifty years? Goodness, I thought you were quite a lot younger than that!

Thank you for an excellent overview.
Old 27th March 2017, 11:09   #6300
BHPian

Some of my Samsung microwave panel buttons are not working. They are in left column. What is the problem? Do panel needs to be replaced? Can it be repaired? Its out of warranty.
Can small cockroaches create such problem because some entered in the door.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks