Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2017, 11:30   #6301
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Fifty years? Goodness, I thought you were quite a lot younger than that!

Thank you for an excellent overview.
Thank you. Been using Mixers since Sumeet came out in mid sixties. I just turned 66.
Old 27th March 2017, 12:29   #6302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Thank you. Been using Mixers since Sumeet came out in mid sixties. I just turned 66.
I will turn 65 in a few months!

I would like to have a wet grinder. Just gadget love, really. My wife refuses, as she says that I already have enough kitchen gadgets, some of which stand mostly unused, and she would not use a grinder at all. We barely do enough grinding to keep the stone busy!
Old 27th March 2017, 19:12   #6303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will turn 65 in a few months!

I would like to have a wet grinder. Just gadget love, really. My wife refuses, as she says that I already have enough kitchen gadgets, some of which stand mostly unused, and she would not use a grinder at all. We barely do enough grinding to keep the stone busy!
Same is the case with me. The saving grace is that we are getting fond of home made dosas, and not only is the quality of dough using a mixer inferior, the mixer has started over heating so grinding rice is a pain. So I am also thinking of getting the Ultra 1.5L wet grinder.

In my opinion if you do not use the mixer for liquidizing then it is best to get rid of the normal mixer with its accessories and get a small dry grinder instead.
Old 1st April 2017, 13:50   #6304
Senior - BHPian

Imagine there's a big hall, about 20 sewing and embroidery machines are to be given power which are placed across 3-4 straight lines in the hall. What would be the best way to set them up? Can I extend the power by using multiple power extensions or surge protectors in line?
Old 1st April 2017, 15:39   #6305
Senior - BHPian

Another question, if the daily drinking water requirement is 40-50 litres and our monthly cost ranges from 900-1200 then does it make sense to have a RO or another water purifier (with a big capacity of course) or its still better to get 20 litre water bottles from vendor like I've been doing for all along.
Old 1st April 2017, 23:07   #6306
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Another question, if the daily drinking water requirement is 40-50 litres and our monthly cost ranges from 900-1200 then does it make sense to have a RO or another water purifier (with a big capacity of course) or its still better to get 20 litre water bottles from vendor like I've been doing for all along.
A lot of these things don't make financial sense. What you will have is two things: first, convenience. Second, so long as you ensure regular maintenance, you know that your water is fully safe. Whilst it is true that I don't recall ever actually getting sick from canned or bottled water, I do read that an awful lot of water out there is not as good as it should be.

For me, it is the convenience that wins. I can even fill the 5-litre sprayer to give the car a deposits-free ONR wash. any time I like.
Old 2nd April 2017, 07:30   #6307
Senior - BHPian

My 10 year old IFB microwave is malfunctioning. The turntable does not rotate. I can hear things whir and beep, but it does not turn. I still managed to heat a cup of tea yesterday.
1. Is it safe to use?
2. Should I try to repair or just get a new one?

I use the microwave only for heating. For a 25 liter microwave, do you have any recommendations or good deals, brands to avoid, recommends brands. A solo microwave is good enough.
Old 2nd April 2017, 12:21   #6308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A lot of these things don't make financial sense. What you will have is two things: first, convenience.
This is actually for our workers in office where we usually get the 20 litre bottle and put it on a water dispenser. My question was purely from money standpoint because we spend 12-15k annually on it. I can get a good water purifier in 15k but with daily requirement of 50 litres I wasn't sure how much the cost of consumables would go up.

In summers the workers prefer water from matka (earthern pot) so there would be the hassle of putting water in this pot from the purifier using 1-2 litre bottles.
Old 2nd April 2017, 12:29   #6309
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can I extend the power by using multiple power extensions or surge protectors in line?
This is a big NO from a fire/electrical safety perspective - referred to as daisy chaining!

Please engage an electrical contractor to install new electric connections with proper earthing and circuit breakers. It is not worth cutting corners when it comes to safety.

Last edited by NPV : 2nd April 2017 at 12:30.
Old 2nd April 2017, 12:42   #6310
Senior - BHPian

The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Please engage an electrical contractor to install new electric connections with proper earthing and circuit breakers. It is not worth cutting corners when it comes to safety.
I figured out daisy chaining yesterday night, thanks for your response.

The local electricians tend to cut corners and may end up giving me a similar setup hence the query. I have a couple of power boxes setup but along the walls, those 16A type big ones. My sewing machines are 350 watts each and embroidery machines about 650 watts. Is there a way to have power from just one 16A box or I must get more power boxes setup?

Any ideas on how to run wires in the middle of the floor?

EDIT: I mean when you say circuit breaker help me explain this to the local electrician in his language.

Last edited by fine69 : 2nd April 2017 at 12:44.
Old 2nd April 2017, 13:11   #6311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is actually for our workers in office where we usually get the 20 litre bottle and put it on a water dispenser. My question was purely from money standpoint because we spend 12-15k annually on it. I can get a good water purifier in 15k but with daily requirement of 50 litres I wasn't sure how much the cost of consumables would go up.
Ahh... these things may be luxury for a small-family home, but for work, I am sure it will pay.

You can predict your costs exactly by taking an AMC. It should include the cost of filter replacement, and should cover all components, even including the membrane unit itself, which is quite expensive.
Quote:
In summers the workers prefer water from matka (earthern pot) so there would be the hassle of putting water in this pot from the purifier using 1-2 litre bottles.
And you need a unit with sufficient litres/hour not to make this time consuming. Our original Zero-B unit had very good flow (as mentioned, it has been downgraded, I think, by parts replacement post-flood, but as the AMC guy covered it I am not complaining)

Quote:
Any ideas on how to run wires in the middle of the floor?
Don't. Go under or over! In my head, I recall pictures of such units with a conduit coming down to each workstation. If you have a solid floor, this would be the way to go.

This is an industrial job: use an industrial electrician. If they do not understand, they are not qualified to do the job, and would be putting your workers and you at high risk.
Old 2nd April 2017, 16:34   #6312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In my head, I recall pictures of such units with a conduit coming down to each workstation. If you have a solid floor, this would be the way to go.

This is an industrial job: use an industrial electrician. If they do not understand, they are not qualified to do the job, and would be putting your workers and you at high risk.
https://panasonic.net/ecosolutions/e...orylinesystem/

This is what I found, the local electrician called it "channel". He suggested the same thing, I'll be exploring my local market for the same.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, I'd want to prioritise safety over anything else.
Old 2nd April 2017, 17:02   #6313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
https://panasonic.net/ecosolutions/e...orylinesystem/

This is what I found, the local electrician called it "channel". He suggested the same thing, I'll be exploring my local market for the same.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, I'd want to prioritise safety over anything else.
That looks fancy. I was thinking of the pipe-like stuff. You probably have some in your house.
Old 3rd April 2017, 08:02   #6314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
My 10 year old IFB microwave is malfunctioning. The turntable does not rotate. I can hear things whir and beep, but it does not turn. I still managed to heat a cup of tea yesterday.
1. Is it safe to use?
2. Should I try to repair or just get a new one?

I use the microwave only for heating. For a 25 liter microwave, do you have any recommendations or good deals, brands to avoid, recommends brands. A solo microwave is good enough.
Does anyone know if godrej microwaves are good? They seem cost effective.
IFB seems the most easily available. I'm a little sceptical about quality and service.
Also I found that solo microwaves above 20 litres are not available. So may need to get convection with microwave.
Old 3rd April 2017, 12:22   #6315
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Does anyone know if godrej microwaves are good? They seem cost effective.
IFB seems the most easily available. I'm a little sceptical about quality and service.
Also I found that solo microwaves above 20 litres are not available. So may need to get convection with microwave.
We had a Godrej microwave for 6 years, I can say service is pretty good but quality is below average. We got the magnetron gone kaput 2 times, but 3 years warranty saved us. Service was exceptionally good (place Bangalore) and engineer visit happened within 24 hours and no questions asked for parts changed under warranty.

Samsung otherwise are not keeping up to what they were, service is exceptionally gone bad (place Bangalore / Pune). You may have to literally go to the service engineer' home and drop on your knees to request him to come to your place to do the job.

I suggest you stick to LG or Panasonic if you are OK with them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks