Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2018, 11:04   #6571
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Wow! Thanks a lot - Thats a super answer with pictures and all
I have shared your reponse with my wife to read thru. In the meanwhile, have you found the 1.25 liter sufficient enough for your needs or do you recommend the 2.0 liter one? My Scenario: We are a small family of 3 (couple + 1 Toddler).

Also when I compared the technical specification, the motor on the Elgi Ultra is 84 watt and the one on the Vijayalaksmi brand is 150 watt. So would the other one be faster due to this - or is it just that the Elgi Ultra is more efficient ?...
1. I grind 500g to 600g of rice per batch. Toda's batch of 550g yealded 32 idlies and the leftover batter is good for another 20.

The Home Appliance thread-msc_5178.jpg

The Home Appliance thread-msc_5180.jpg

The Home Appliance thread-msc_5179.jpg

2. The size of motor does not matter much as the drive is geared and the whole drum rotates, so a more powerful motor does not make sense. All literature states that the dough should not heat up during grinding, that is why a more powerful motor with higher rotation speed is not desirable. Yes a higher power for more quantity is needed, but in our case 84 watts is perfect.

I guess that I can easily grind 1kg of rice in 1.25L machine, but that is too much dough for us. One advantage of a smaller capacity is that the minimum quantity is also less, which means that you can grind chutney (Green Chilies, Coriander and Mint) in smaller batches.

Anyway, the longer the time the finer the mix, the better the idly.

Last edited by Aroy : 16th January 2018 at 11:07.
Old 20th January 2018, 12:24   #6572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Anyway, the longer the time the finer the mix, the better the idly.
Awesome!
I just picked it up on Amazon.in Great Indian Sale just now for 4,949/- which included a Lightning Deal price of 5,499 and 10% HDFC cashback taking it to 4,949/-. The product should be delivered tomorrow.

The Home Appliance thread-lightningdeal.png

For others who are interested, here is the link: URL
Old 28th January 2018, 19:32   #6573
BHPian

Hi All,

advice me on a good Chimney and a four burner built in Hob for my new kitchen. Planning to buy online and get it delivered at my home. Lot of varieties and mixed reviews making it difficult to decide.

Thanks in advance.
Old 28th January 2018, 21:30   #6574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFan View Post
Hi All,

advice me on a good Chimney and a four burner built in Hob for my new kitchen. Planning to buy online and get it delivered at my home. Lot of varieties and mixed reviews making it difficult to decide.

Thanks in advance.

I have been using Faber built in hob and chimney since the last two years. Servicing for both units is once a year. Complaints to the call center, if any, are attended promptly. Iam a happy customer.
Old 28th January 2018, 22:07   #6575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFan View Post
Hi All,

Thanks in advance.
No Budget constraint? Then go with any of the German brands like Kaff, Hafele, Bosch/Siemens. They are pricey, but have benefit; like their motors are most silent, built to last, elegantly designed.

If budget is concern, try elica, Glima or Faber brands.

Where is home located? If its Bengaluru, you will get better price from shop/dealer than online. Most of them also match online price. Only thing you might not get is EMI option.

Would like to know the reason for 4 burner? Most of 4 burner layout makes it difficult to use all 4 burners. If you still convinced to buy 4 burner, it would be good idea to visit the studio (of a brand you going to buy) and actually see the burner. Most studio will lend you utensils (like 7 Ltr cooker , 5 ltr cooker, some pans etc) to experience practicality of hob.

Disclaimer: We have Kaff Hob + Chimney in our house (from past 5 years). We have no issue with either of the appliance. Kaff is also prompt with their installation in Bengaluru (like next day installation).
Old 28th January 2018, 22:53   #6576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Most of 4 burner layout makes it difficult to use all 4 burners.
They are all designed by people who just don't cook! Must be! They are too far off centre of their repspective quadrants. Just a couple of hours ago, I was frying rice with all the heat on one edge of the frying pan. We live with it, we adjust: it's been about ten years.

We have Kaff. the layout is not right, but we could use all four burners at once if we wished. At least they come in a convenient range of sizes: one large (with curved-base vessel holder), one small and two standard.

Where does Kaff come from? I think it is an Indian company. We have chimney hob and oven. They come with spares and for service fairly promptly. They sorted us out post-flood, and also when a lot of oil got spilt into the works of the oven. Our chimney is a bit noisy now, but could probably be restored to its former silence.
Old 29th January 2018, 12:41   #6577
Senior - BHPian

This is one of the reasons I love our Gas Cooking Range. It has four burners one at each corner. We can easily accommodate upto two 15" diameter vessels along with two smaller 10" ones. My wife uses all the four when we have guests. There are two large one medium an one small burner, so all type of cooking can be done simultaneously.
Old 29th January 2018, 20:13   #6578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
No Budget constraint? Then go with any of the German brands like Kaff, Hafele, Bosch/Siemens. They are pricey, but have benefit; like their motors are most silent, built to last, elegantly designed.

If budget is concern, try elica, Glima or Faber brands.

Where is home located? If its Bengaluru, you will get better price from shop/dealer than online. Most of them also match online price. Only thing you might not get is EMI option.

Would like to know the reason for 4 burner? Most of 4 burner layout makes it difficult to use all 4 burners. If you still convinced to buy 4 burner, it would be good idea to visit the studio (of a brand you going to buy) and actually see the burner. Most studio will lend you utensils (like 7 Ltr cooker , 5 ltr cooker, some pans etc) to experience practicality of hob.

Disclaimer: We have Kaff Hob + Chimney in our house (from past 5 years). We have no issue with either of the appliance. Kaff is also prompt with their installation in Bengaluru (like next day installation).
Thank you. Kaff, Elica and Faber are shortlisted. First thought of buying them online, however after your advice, will visit a showroom and checkout the practicality of a "four" burner hob / cook-top and then proceed.
Old 29th January 2018, 21:27   #6579
BHPian

Quote:
This is one of the reasons I love our Gas Cooking Range. It has four burners one at each corner. We can easily accommodate upto two 15" diameter vessels along with two smaller 10" ones. My wife uses all the four when we have guests. There are two large one medium an one small burner, so all type of cooking can be done simultaneously.
So which brand is yours, I'm looking to buy a new one ASAP.

My old Elica 4 burner has developed a problem, a couple of years ago I had the service guy increase the flame at the minimum setting on one of the burners, now after a couple of services, my wife asked to return the minimum setting on the burner to it's default.

After the last service the burner which was worked on is now spewing gas at full flow so much that it will collect enough gas to cause big flash in the few seconds from when the gas knob is turned on to the time it is lit.

I want to get a decent four burner with self ignition to used on a counter (not the full cooking range with oven below).

Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 29th January 2018, 22:50   #6580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which is the brand?
I believe a cooking range has a built in oven as well?
Old 29th January 2018, 23:57   #6581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relax&Cruise View Post
After the last service the burner which was worked on is now spewing gas at full flow so much that it will collect enough gas to cause big flash in the few seconds from when the gas knob is turned on to the time it is lit.
I don't mean to put you off your purchase but the reason for the larger flow of gas is because he would have increased the hole Dia in the gas burner nozzle. You can replace this yourself or get it replaced by the service guy. I now service our elica myself and it is a 5 min job to clean the nozzle whenever it stops lighting due to liquid spillage into the burner.
Old 30th January 2018, 06:10   #6582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I don't mean to put you off your purchase but the reason for the larger flow of gas is because he would have increased the hole Dia in the gas burner nozzle.
That is spot on, the guy had increased the dia but I was not present for the last service where the guy attempted to reset the flow and botched it up. He told my wife he changed some valve. Don't know what he has done.

Thanks for your tip.

Will try to source the part and get it changed, also need to get the self ignition part started, if sourcing the parts etc is straight forward I'll do that or else will get a new burner.
Old 30th January 2018, 06:35   #6583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relax&Cruise View Post
He told my wife he changed some valve.
If he has changed the valve or nozzle, then it may not be seated properly leading to excess gas flow. You can try to remove it and reseat it once.
Old 30th January 2018, 10:07   #6584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Which is the brand?
I believe a cooking range has a built in oven as well?
Mine is a twenty year old BPL Sanyo unit, the company is no longer there. It had push button ignition and a rotisserie but both are kaput.

The unit is 24" wide with a large oven below the burner area. It still runs but requires frequent cleaning and adjustment, which I carry out every 4 to 6 months.

For past few years we were contemplating getting this model which is nearest to what we have

https://www.amazon.in/Kaff-Cooking-R...&keywords=kaff
Old 30th January 2018, 11:46   #6585
Senior - BHPian

Is there any way of protecting a washing machine or dishwasher from rats. A rat had entered the washing machine and damaged a hose. Both the machines are on a stand.
The technician recommended a mesh stand costing 2500 Rs. As a solution. Maybe taking the stand off seems like a good idea. Is there any disadvantage to taking off the stand.

Most Viewed