Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2019, 15:46   #6976
mxh
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
What kind of preventive maintenance does one do on their Washing Machine? I have the LG direct drive washing machine purchased 2 years back and now shifted to a place where the water is really hard.

What kind of preventive maintenance can I do to ensure that the washing machine chugs along fine?
With hard water you will get better results if you add extra detergent. Detergent contains chemicals that makes water soft. Also, as others mentioned, you would need to keep descaling. The only real solution is getting good quality water which yeah I know isn't an easy problem to solve...
Old 8th January 2019, 16:23   #6977
Senior - BHPian

Thank you all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Beyond that I think descaling the washing machine once a while is also a good idea.
How often, like once in a month or once in a quarter? The washing machine is on daily duty ever since my parents moved in with us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Front loader? There will be a small hatch near the bottom behind which you will find a drain tube for the remaining water, and the removable pump impeller. Check this from time to time and remove fluff, gunk, etc. Top loaders may have equivalent: I don't know.
Yep, its a front loader and I check the drain tube area every month. Once I didn't check it for a few months and realized that all my clothes had granular sand like stuff which was because this drain tube area wasn't cleaned regularly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
We've been using a Samsung top-load machine for about ten years now in Gurgaon (TDS 450+); no issue whatsoever. I do clean the water inlet filter every once a while.
Good! While a washing machine doesn't cost a bomb I didn't want to cut short its life if I could do basic preventive maintenance, descaling seems like the way to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
With hard water you will get better results if you add extra detergent.
I liberally add detergent along with fabric softner. I think I still need to start descaling.
Old 8th January 2019, 17:36   #6978
Senior - BHPian

Go for a cross-over . Mom didn't want to cut a hole in the expensive granite so I imported a counter top model which looks like a hob. It's fully automatic and has provision for CNG. This is DAEWOO, Korean! Lasted 8 years, and is as good as new!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I'm looking to renovate our kitchen
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-img_7560.jpg  

Last edited by khan_sultan : 17th March 2019 at 14:41. Reason: spacing for better readability
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 22:34   #6979
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I liberally add detergent
I use about half the recommended amount. Cut back until you notice if a difference.
Quote:
along with fabric softner.
fabric softener is really a scam. It just loads your washing up with stuff that makes it seems bulkier, eg softer. And the get you addicted to the smell. Been there, done that, but not for over a decade now.

You might need to descale. Scale forms at higher temperatures (eg in a kettle). Again, if you are doing very hot washes... don't! It is not necessary unless you are washing, eg babies' nappies (diapers in Amerispeak). I wash most stuff at 40; underwear at 60.

There... I just saved you heaps of money!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 23:02   #6980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I'm looking to renovate our kitchen. Why should I prefer a hob, rather than a conventional gas stove? Kochi has plans to shift to CNG for cooking, so what happens to my investment in LPG hob if I get one now?

How is a cooktop different from a hob? Why buy it in combo with chimney?
Well. We have a Faber hob for the last 8 years. It has been serving us well. Cleaning is not hard at all... The burners can be completely removed in 5 seconds and bits and pieces can be removed. We even have spilt milk many times.
However I do agree with others that it's not as easy as a cooktop to clean. All I am saying is that with a little care cleaning under the burners etc can be done only once a few weeks.
Yearly once or so I end up cleaning under the hob too. (Lift the hob and clean).
Old 9th January 2019, 11:18   #6981
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
fabric softener is really a scam. It just loads your washing up with stuff that makes it seems bulkier, eg softer. And the get you addicted to the smell. Been there, done that, but not for over a decade now.
The fabric for most of my cotton t-shirts turned rough and there were white patches forming. When I started using softner the fabric wasn't as rough after the wash and of course, the good fragrance.

I also do hot washes but like once in a week, kitchen towels and hand/shower towels all are washed at 90/95 degrees.
Old 9th January 2019, 13:42   #6982
Distinguished - BHPian

You can be sure it's been germ free... But I don't. 60 is good enough for me. Thankfully kittens don't wear nappies!

Actually, our kitchen cloths bypass my machine and get washed cold by the maid. This is really bad... But I'm still alive!

Just checking.... You do know that conditioner destroys the effectiveness of microfibre, right? It fills up the micro grooves.
Old 9th January 2019, 13:58   #6983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just checking.... You do know that conditioner destroys the effectiveness of microfibre, right? It fills up the micro grooves.
I didn't know that. However, the only thing that prevented those white spots was the softener so I still need to make a choice between losing out all my tees or this extra softener cost.

I've already planned to get water softener installed and maybe then I'll try washing without the softener.

Also, the reason for washing all towels in high temperature was because it cleans them better compared to cold water or 40 degrees. Even the spots on kitchen towels are totally gone (so is the smell) which used to be there when I washed them at 40 degrees.
Old 9th January 2019, 14:09   #6984
BHPian

Hi,

For the past several weeks I am confused on whether to pick a microwave oven or otherwise. My requirements are as follows:

1. Grilling facility
2. Tandoori roti/naan
3. Ghee making

There are several media reports on google and elsewhere regarding the carcinogenic effects of food prepared in microwave ovens, which makes me think if it is not safe, then how come it sells like a hotcake and more or less every household is having one microwave oven. Please guide.
Old 9th January 2019, 15:36   #6985
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDED View Post
Hi,

For the past several weeks I am confused on whether to pick a microwave oven or otherwise. My requirements are as follows:
1. Grilling facility
2. Tandoori roti/naan
3. Ghee making
There are several media reports on google and elsewhere regarding the carcinogenic effects of food prepared in microwave ovens, which makes me think if it is not safe, then how come it sells like a hotcake and more or less every household is having one microwave oven. Please guide.
Hi,

After 11 years of usage, our Electrolux microwave gave up a couple of months ago. We thought of replacing it but then realized that apart from re-heating food, we have hardly made any good use of the oven. May be some pizza making days, but then that was it. He haven't made the purchase as yet, but then honestly we are still not missing it much.

About the carcinogenic stuff, the research is probably still on and nothing concrete is yet proven. At the worst, it might be a probable cause but still not categorized as a definite cause as of now; hence we obviously cannot comment.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 9th January 2019 at 15:38.
Old 9th January 2019, 16:45   #6986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

1. Grilling facility
2. Tandoori roti/naan
3. Ghee making

All these will be better catered to by a gas oven or grill. Yes you can use MW, but direct heating of a gas/electric oven beats it every time in ease and taste.
Old 10th January 2019, 00:09   #6987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also, the reason for washing all towels in high temperature was because it cleans them better compared to cold water or 40 degrees.
"Boil" wash for kitchen towels can be justified as they amongst the germiest things in any house, even if they don't look dirty. Otherwise, 60 is pretty hot. Try putting your hand in water at 60C! (very cautiously)

Cold wash is, really, unhygienic. And I wish my wife/maid would not do it. But hey, I'm still alive
Old 10th January 2019, 06:57   #6988
Senior - BHPian

We were in the same dilemma but a visit to RelianceDigital solved that. They have these inexpensive ovens which make it quite feasible to try a conventional oven for some time. It's a Reliance brand called RECONNECT. We got this massive 40L oven for a little over Rs. 3,000 on sale, 6 months back - in Bangalore. It's holding up well, and is a looker! Competing brands are twice/thrice this price!

Quote:
For the past several weeks I am confused on whether to pick a microwave oven or otherwise
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-img_7726.jpg  

Last edited by khan_sultan : 17th March 2019 at 14:41. Reason: spacing for better readability
Old 10th January 2019, 10:20   #6989
BHPian

Quote:
Internet has piles of garbage. You literally have to sift through these garbage to find the nugget of truth. So don't assume it is true - just because some website said so. Even Wikipedia has its own share of biased or crappy content.

Microwave uses 2450 MHz of electromagnetic waves which rapidly heats water molecules. For the brief time your food stays in the oven, it can hardly affect the composition of the food. There is no concrete evidence to suggest that a microwave oven causes any detrimental effect.

There is a caveat though. The manufacturers of Microwave ovens add interlocking techniques to make sure that when the oven is in operation the EMW don't leak. But when it is repaired by unskilled people, they may short the switches which may make the oven continue to operate when the door is open. It may cause serious damage to your eyes if you peer inside the oven and cause surface burning of the skin of your hands.

A microwave oven is always faster than any other method to reheat your food and cooking some type of food. Because it is faster to heat from inside, it can preserve nutrients.

Old 10th January 2019, 10:52   #6990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
We were in the same dilemma but a visit to RelianceDigital solved that. They have these inexpensive ovens which make it quite feasible to try a conventional oven for some time. It's a Reliance brand called RECONNECT. We got this massive 40L oven for a little over Rs. 3,000 on sale, 6 months back - in Bangalore. It's holding up well, and is a looker! Competing brands are twice/thrice this price!
Thanks a tone Sebring! Point well taken and I will visit Reliance Digital and check the Reconnect brand stuff. I am assuming you are talking about this piece https://www.reliancedigital.in/recon...02/p/491264923

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Internet has piles of garbage. You literally have to sift through these garbage to find the nugget of truth. So don't assume it is true - just because some website said so. Even Wikipedia has its own share of biased or crappy content.
Thanks Prowler! I will share this information with my wifey, she was having truckloads of apprehension regarding this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks