Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2019, 10:44   #7141
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Is there any particular reason for getting a Top Loading Model?
Thanks for the suggestion.

Reasons for getting a top loading one is due to the fact that my parents in the absence of the maid can easily operate without having to crouch or bend hard. Plus the machine is going to operated max twice a week. Didn't want front loading as it is more expensive than the top loading ones.
Old 19th June 2019, 10:44   #7142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I find 90 degrees ideal for towels and bed sheets.
Wow, does this not reduce the life of your linen? We have not tried anything beyond 40 degrees and should attempt this once to see if the wash results are better.
Old 19th June 2019, 11:01   #7143
Distinguished - BHPian

Whats the best washing machine and dryer in the market?
Ideally would like one machine that can do both tasks but I believe that usually the drying is ineffective in these situations.
Hence please suggest if there is a 2 in 1 machine that's actually good for both function. Or please suggest a separate washer and dryer.
Old 19th June 2019, 13:17   #7144
BANNED

@Sahil; there is no best. As for washer dryers, remember the drying capacity is half of the washing capacity. This is near universal! One thing to keep in mind, the dryer should leave the clothes 'cool' i.e the cycle should include cooling.
Old 19th June 2019, 13:27   #7145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Sahil; there is no best. As for washer dryers, remember the drying capacity is half of the washing capacity. This is near universal! One thing to keep in mind, the dryer should leave the clothes 'cool' i.e the cycle should include cooling.
Capacity is not a big issue. This is the one i have shortlisted, the capacity is larger than i would need: https://www.amazon.in/Bosch-Washer-D...web_6991593031

As per specs it seems the best as it has 1500rpm spin cycle for drying. Any better spec machine that can do both jobs?

Also, how is the service of Bosch?
Old 19th June 2019, 13:36   #7146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Capacity is not a big issue.
This is the one I have and is super energy efficient. My monthly electricity usage is about 5 units for about 20 washes a month. We don't use the dryer much being Chennai and abundance of sun but I purchased the dryer option for the monsoon season and bird dropping menace on our clothes due to tree coverage all around. Yet to use dryer extensively.
https://www.samsung.com/in/washing-m...WR24M9960KVTL/
They have smaller capacities too and have good functions for pillows and stuff that need air washing.

Last edited by diyguy : 19th June 2019 at 13:38.
Old 19th June 2019, 14:23   #7147
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, I've said this before, but...

90 degree wash, called "boil wash" is not for removing more dirt, it is for killing more germs. It's for stuff like baby nappies... When you are literally washing crap out of the fabric. Even a cold wash will actually remove the crap, but not kill the bacteria.

Apart from after the Chennai flood, dealing with stuff contaminated by sewage, and, in the absence of babies, I never use 90. Kitchen towels might be the only maybe. 60 is enough, even for underwear and sheets. And 40 for most stuff.

Stop wasting electricity! But hey, it's your bills, your fabric and your choice.
Old 19th June 2019, 14:59   #7148
Senior - BHPian

Anyone have a non Siemens, non Bosch built in ovens ? I dont know why they are so costly. Want to see if there are any others that make them before buying these.
Old 19th June 2019, 16:29   #7149
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Looking to replace my current microwave Sharp 28 Litre one which I had purchased for 50$ 14 years back.
Bought this https://www.samsung.com/in/cooking-a...MS23K3513AKTL/ for Rs. 5500 from Vijay Sales.

It has all the features I was looking for and the minimum size which I needed. That said, there isn't really much choice in the solo range. Most of them are 20L which is too small for me. This one is 23L. From there, next one is a 42L Solo by LG which is too big for me.

Last edited by carboy : 19th June 2019 at 16:47.
Old 19th June 2019, 16:33   #7150
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Anyone have a non Siemens, non Bosch built in ovens ? I dont know why they are so costly. Want to see if there are any others that make them before buying these.
I don't have one, but I've seen built-in ovens, microwaves and cooking ranges at Faber outlets (we have Faber hob and chimney).
Old 19th June 2019, 18:35   #7151
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We have the KAFF K/OV 60 MGM bsemi-analogue model bought in 2015. Has given us excellent service and does what it says on the box. Regularly used for cakes, main courses and grilling.

We are very happy with it especially as it was cheap compared to comparable German brands.

https://www.kaff.in/appliances/built...ov-60-mgm.html

Last edited by itwasntme : 19th June 2019 at 18:38.
Old 20th June 2019, 00:20   #7152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
We have the KAFF K/OV 60 MGM bsemi-analogue model bought in 2015. ...
Good grief, that's expensive!

I'm particularly horrified because we have what is roughly the same model but about eight years older.
Old 20th June 2019, 07:46   #7153
Senior - BHPian

The best time to pick up a KAFF is during their sale. Which is quite regular. Avoid ELICA, though its the most advertised.
Old 20th June 2019, 11:35   #7154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Guys, I've said this before, but...

90 degree wash, called "boil wash" is not for removing more dirt, it is for killing more germs. It's for stuff like baby nappies... When you are literally washing crap out of the fabric. Even a cold wash will actually remove the crap, but not kill the bacteria.

Apart from after the Chennai flood, dealing with stuff contaminated by sewage, and, in the absence of babies, I never use 90. Kitchen towels might be the only maybe. 60 is enough, even for underwear and sheets. And 40 for most stuff.

Stop wasting electricity! But hey, it's your bills, your fabric and your choice.
We use the 90 degrees for all our towels, bed linen and any thing that has bit of oil/spices in them. At 90 degrees the fabric is not only clean but has the feel of Laundry or Hotel feel - crisp. I have tried other temperatures - 30, 40 or 60 but 90 beats them all. The high temperature is normally in the initial stages only.

Quote:
Unless you have space constraint or like the look and feel of built in appliances, a stand alone oven is a much cheaper option for the same capability and build quality. We have been using Gas Cooking Ranges (with oven) for ages (at least 30 years) and find that gas ovens have the following advantages over electric ones
. Gas is much cheaper to operate
. Gas does not depend on the electric supply. This is especially important as a power cut at the critical time will ruin the bake
. Gas ovens last for a very long time as there is practically nothing that wears out. In contrast I have experienced electric ovens packing up after a decade of use.
The major downside of gas oven is that they are not programmable, so you cannot set the start, stop and set the temperature profile (start high, then lower the temperature then high for final phase), as can be done in the higher end appliances.
Old 23rd June 2019, 13:32   #7155
BHPian

@carboy: Bought this https://www.samsung.com/in/cooking-a...MS23K3513AKTL/ for Rs. 5500 from Vijay Sales.
I have the same model and it is adequate for reheating. Cleaning is easy due to the ceramic coating. Only -ve: Dark interiors. Very difficult to check the food being cooked.

Last edited by virgopal : 23rd June 2019 at 13:52. Reason: spelling

Most Viewed